Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

The Keaton hate parade continues, huh?

Plenty of Disney movies get sold like that and rise above. We'll see.

The scene where he gets forcibly separated from his mom was genuinely disturbing to me as a kid. I can't believe Burton would go soft on that, though the trailer seems to suggest just that (and yeah plenty of trailers do that, we'll see). An earlier trailer suggested the drunk scene is still going to make the cut (and it better because Pink Elephants on Parade is an all-time ear worm for me). I think that they dropped the racist-y crows.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:07 am The Keaton hate parade continues, huh?

The scene where he gets forcibly separated from his mom was genuinely disturbing to me as a kid. I can't believe Burton would go soft on that, though the trailer seems to suggest just that (and yeah plenty of trailers do that, we'll see). An earlier trailer suggested the drunk scene is still going to make the cut (and it better because Pink Elephants on Parade is an all-time ear worm for me). I think that they dropped the racist-y crows.
I'm done with the anti-Keaton feeling. (Although I continue to believe that he is not funny. A fine actor though).
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 7:15 am

I'm done with the anti-Keaton feeling. (Although I continue to believe that he is not funny. A fine actor though).
Why are you the way that you are?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bill Blazejowski says you are wrong
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Don't go chasing waterfalls, Pruitt.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This should spark some debate -- Ringer ranks all of the Coen Brothers movies.

One man's opinion:

1) No Country For Old Men
2) Fargo
3) Big Lebowski
4) Miller's Crossing
5) Blood Simple

Honorable mention: All the rest of 'em, though Burn After Reading and Raising Arizona would probably be 6 and 7 in some order.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

1) Big Lebowski
2) Fargo
3) No Country For Old Men
4) Miller's Crossing
5) Blood Simple
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Me and Brian have the exact same first 7 if that's your final answer.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I've been meaning to go back and re-watch A Serious Man though.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Shit. Totally forgot about that one. Slot that right after Blood Simple.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

When I was a wee tot, I cried so hard when Dumbo got separated from his mother. Scarred for life. Thanks, Disney.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

What a list of great movies. There are 10 of their films that I'd consider to be great, and a few more that were really good.

1) Fargo
2) True Grit
3) No Country For Old Men
4) The Big Lebowski
5) O Brother Where Art Thou
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I need to rewatch True Grit and O Brother Where Art Thou. I remember really loving the latter when it came out, but for some reason as time has gone on I feel like I didn't like it all that much.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m gonna watch their new Netflix one tonight probably
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

None of you fuckers are ranking Raising Arizona in the top five?

1. The Big Lebowski
2. Raising Arizona
3. Fargo
4. No Country for Old Men
5. Miller's Crossing.

Unfair to limit at five, though with the other great ones mentioned, too.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

sancarlos's top five is basically mine, but with a few switched around. Miller's Crossing is arguably their best, but largely forgotten/unknown.

Not quite top five, but the True Grit remake is underrated.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

When The Ladykillers is your worst movie (and I think most people agree with that or at least that it is near the bottom), but that's still really not a BAD movie, then you have a pretty great filmography.

Even guys like Spielberg and Ron Howard have at least a couple of real stinkers on their resume.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Hell, Raising Arizona, Blood Simple, A Serious Man, Burn after Reading, Miller's Crossing, Hudsucker Proxy...

All great.

Only one of their movies I saw and didn't like was "Intolerable Cruelty."
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Walk on role for Bill and Ted 3 went for 15.6K at a charity auction.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

1. No Country For Old Men
2. Raising Arizona
3. Fargo
4. The Big Lebowski
5. O Brother Where Art Thou

I need to rewatch Miller's Crossing. I saw it YEARS ago and remember very little of it. I'm pretty sure I ought to love it.

Honestly, given how varied and original their movies are (mixed in with remakes and adaptations), I think it's fair to consider the Coens the best filmmakers ever.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Went and saw the Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was a lot of fun, especially the music. I always liked Queen, even if I was never a huge fan. There were quite a few small factual and timeline inaccuracies that might irritate somebody who'd know better. (Notably, a high point in the film was that they had Queen going on a near-breakup hiatus before Freddie triumphantly returned to the fold for the Live Aid show, when in fact Queen never split, Live Aid was not a reunion, and it occurred right after Queen finished a world tour.) But, if you let that sort of thing go and just took it in, it was a quite enjoyable evening.

After reading the Wiki page on the film, I was surprised to learn that Sacha Baron Cohen was originally signed to play Freddie Mercury, but left before filming due to the dreaded "creative differences". (Just as well, because the actor who played Freddie Mercury was quite good.) Also, the credited director of the film actually was fired partway through the project, and finished by another guy, who was then credited as executive producer.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am- Bradley Cooper really needs to pump the brakes a bit. C'mon man....it wasn't enough to be super handsome, and be a good actor, but now you have to write, direct, sing, write songs, and play the guitar? Leave some for the rest of us.
He's also fluent in French:

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:44 pm Went and saw the Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was a lot of fun, especially the music. I always liked Queen, even if I was never a huge fan. There were quite a few small factual and timeline inaccuracies that might irritate somebody who'd know better. (Notably, a high point in the film was that they had Queen going on a near-breakup hiatus before Freddie triumphantly returned to the fold for the Live Aid show, when in fact Queen never split, Live Aid was not a reunion, and it occurred right after Queen finished a world tour.) But, if you let that sort of thing go and just took it in, it was a quite enjoyable evening.

After reading the Wiki page on the film, I was surprised to learn that Sacha Baron Cohen was originally signed to play Freddie Mercury, but left before filming due to the dreaded "creative differences". (Just as well, because the actor who played Freddie Mercury was quite good.) Also, the credited director of the film actually was fired partway through the project, and finished by another guy, who was then credited as executive producer.
Guy who plays Freddie Mercury is also the protagonist from Mr. Robot, Rami Malek
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. last night after getting sucked into a rabbit hole of all things Coen Brothers last night on the Internet (after re-watching Miller's Crossing yesterday afternoon instead of watching the Lions game).
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 7:23 pm
sancarlos wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:44 pm Went and saw the Bohemian Rhapsody last night. It was a lot of fun, especially the music. I always liked Queen, even if I was never a huge fan. There were quite a few small factual and timeline inaccuracies that might irritate somebody who'd know better. (Notably, a high point in the film was that they had Queen going on a near-breakup hiatus before Freddie triumphantly returned to the fold for the Live Aid show, when in fact Queen never split, Live Aid was not a reunion, and it occurred right after Queen finished a world tour.) But, if you let that sort of thing go and just took it in, it was a quite enjoyable evening.

Guy who plays Freddie Mercury is also the protagonist from Mr. Robot, Rami Malek
Cohen wanted it to be less PG-13.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Nov 17, 2018 2:52 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Nov 12, 2018 12:28 am- Bradley Cooper really needs to pump the brakes a bit. C'mon man....it wasn't enough to be super handsome, and be a good actor, but now you have to write, direct, sing, write songs, and play the guitar? Leave some for the rest of us.
He's also fluent in French:

Its not fair. Next he'll be doing heart transplant surgeries.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just figured out why my wife pushed me to grow a beard this Movember.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Been re-visiting a bunch of Coens stuff and A Serious Man is in my top five now.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:43 pm Been re-visiting a bunch of Coens stuff and A Serious Man is in my top five now.
Crazy that I just now had to look up the name of Michael Stuhlbarg. He is incredible in that movie.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

He is amazing.

ETA: I think he was in three best picture nominees last year.

And his role in Call me by your name was perfect. Probably deserved best supporting actor. But wasn’t even nominated.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I watched the Coen's Ballad of Buster Scruggs while cozied up with my frozen peas, and while it was beautiful, there was something about it I just didn't think felt right. It definitely isn't one of their best films (though the Tom Waits section is phenomenal) but this deadspin article does a pretty good job of getting to the heart of why I think this movie should have been so much more different this day and age. Spoilers are included in that article.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Fargo season 2 managed to create a great Native American character (played by a Native American actor). The Coen bros. should have reverse inspired themselves.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am I watched the Coen's Ballad of Buster Scruggs while cozied up with my frozen peas, and while it was beautiful, there was something about it I just didn't think felt right. It definitely isn't one of their best films (though the Tom Waits section is phenomenal) but this deadspin article does a pretty good job of getting to the heart of why I think this movie should have been so much more different this day and age. Spoilers are included in that article.
I read that article yesterday, even though I'd never heard of that new movie (I don't have Netflix). I started thinking and I can't think of a single significant non-white character in ANY Coen brothers movie. But that can't be right, can it? If so, it's disappointing, and I'm surprised I'd never noticed before.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I had the same thoughts. It's really really surprising and a bit disturbing.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Did anyone see "A Simple Favor"? It might be first movie I rent in a year when it comes to on demand. Looked super good and I've got a small, totally not unhealthy, teeny little obsession with Anna Kendrick.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am Did anyone see "A Simple Favor"? It might be first movie I rent in a year when it comes to on demand. Looked super good and I've got a small, totally not unhealthy, teeny little obsession with Anna Kendrick.
Science has actually proven that any obsession with Anna Kendrick is considered healthy and normal.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:33 am
BSF21 wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:27 am Did anyone see "A Simple Favor"? It might be first movie I rent in a year when it comes to on demand. Looked super good and I've got a small, totally not unhealthy, teeny little obsession with Anna Kendrick.
Science has actually proven that any obsession with Anna Kendrick is considered healthy and normal.
Over/under on how many seconds of googling it would take to find some dude who proves that statement incorrect?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am
Over/under on how many seconds of googling it would take to find some dude who proves that statement incorrect?
Oh there may be people for whom she isn't their bag, but that does not prove my statement incorrect!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:03 am I had the same thoughts. It's really really surprising and a bit disturbing.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:44 am
rass wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:35 am
Oh there may be people for whom she isn't their bag, but that does not prove my statement incorrect!
She's super cute, but she's odd looking. Unconventional beauty, where a lot of her attractiveness is how she carries herself. Incredibly flirty, but with a lot of seeming self-doubt. Girl you had major crush on in college.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.