Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

Finally watched Zero Dark thirty last night. Underwhelmed.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

World War Z was pretty awesome for a popcorn summer flick. Really looking forward to Pacific Rim.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff wrote:World War Z was pretty awesome for a popcorn summer flick.
Or as I like to call it, based only on the trailers, Tumbling Piles of People.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

"Pacific Rim" was pretty good. Completely over the top. Reminded me of "Top Gun" in a way.

Seeing Charley from "Its Always Sunny..." was goofy. And Stringer Bell was a total bad-ass...even though it was strange to see him using his normal voice...not the West Baltimore accent.

The Aussie guys accents were totally off though....
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I saw 7 Psychopaths last night and thought it was a lot of fun.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

AussieDave wrote:"Pacific Rim" was pretty good. Completely over the top. Reminded me of "Top Gun" in a way.

Seeing Charley from "Its Always Sunny..." was goofy. And Stringer Bell was a total bad-ass...even though it was strange to see him using his normal voice...not the West Baltimore accent.

The Aussie guys accents were totally off though....
What about Jax Teller & Clay Morrow!?!? No love for the Sons?

I just learned the other day that Charlie Hunnam is a Brit. (His last name should have tipped me off.) His real voice is just weird.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Yeah, what a fucked up voice. I guess that's what happens when a Brit moves to Hollywood and plays guys with not Brit accents. And also maybe has a speech impediment?
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sharknado was a laugh-riot, but Admission with Tina Fey and the always dismal Paul Rudd was absolutely pathetic. Somewhere during the preparation of this film, they forgot that even in a comedy (which I think this movie was supposed to be, character motivation is important.

What a piece of garbage this film is.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I liked Despcable Me 2.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote:I liked Despcable Me 2.
As did I when I saw it last week.

But speaking of Steve Carrell, my wife is in the other room watching Crazy, Stupid Love for the fourth time (I watched it with her months ago), and even though we have spent a lovely long weekend together with the kids, there is no way in hell I can sit through a single minute of that movie again.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:
bfj wrote:I liked Despcable Me 2.
As did I when I saw it last week.

But speaking of Steve Carrell, my wife is in the other room watching Crazy, Stupid Love for the fourth time (I watched it with her months ago), and even though we have spent a lovely long weekend together with the kids, there is no way in hell I can sit through a single minute of that movie again.
I'll watch anything with Emma Stone in a lead role again and again and again. (As far as feely comedies, I liked this one too)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I love Emma Stone. Probably my favorite female to see on screen these days.

Also, Before Midnight was good. Probably the weakest of the three, but if you love the other two, you kind of have to see this one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Pruitt wrote:Sharknado was a laugh-riot, but Admission with Tina Fey and the always dismal Paul Rudd was absolutely pathetic. Somewhere during the preparation of this film, they forgot that even in a comedy (which I think this movie was supposed to be, character motivation is important.

What a piece of garbage this film is.

Is sharknado worth the download? I've read the Twitter hype about it but have a monthly download limit. I reserve that for hbo, USA and fx shows that I don't get here in Canada. But I do love campy B rated movies and I heard this was the creme de la creme of crap at the moment. Waste bandwidth or wait until it airs again?

I heard they are making a sequel and it's simply called Sharknado 2 -the second one.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TheHumanComa wrote:
Is sharknado worth the download? I've read the Twitter hype about it but have a monthly download limit. I reserve that for hbo, USA and fx shows that I don't get here in Canada. But I do love campy B rated movies and I heard this was the creme de la creme of crap at the moment. Waste bandwidth or wait until it airs again?

I heard they are making a sequel and it's simply called Sharknado 2 -the second one.
I've got a feeling that my enjoyment of Sharknado was at least partially due to the element of surprise. I have a feeling the schlock value may have been overhyped by this point.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

TheHumanComa wrote:Is sharknado worth the download?
It's on the Discovery Channel at least once this week (tonight at 7:00 your time), this being Shark Week.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Larry David's Clear History sucks.

Imagine a 90 minute long Curb Your Enthusiasm but instead of Larry david being surrounded by unpleasant Los angeles types, he is with nice, quirky rural characters who respond to his smart ass comments with smiles.

It's a light comedy, so the fact that the plot is dumb isn't that serious. But an hour and a half of watching loveable locals put up with Larry David's character is a bit much. And the subplot of his obsession over an ex-girlfriend's blowing of the band Chicago is simply not funny.

Oh and Michael Keaton proves once again that he sucks at comedy.

Scottie will understand me when I say that other than the high production values, Clear History was like a lot of Canadian feature films: quirky characters in a rural setting who are worldly wise. A plot that is nonsensical and acting that runs the gamut from hamminess to comatose.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AB_skin_test wrote:Michael Keaton. Does. Not.Suck At. comedy.
Thanks AB. That was unfuckingcalledfor Pruitt.

I haven't watched it in years, but I loved Johnny Dangerously as a kid. And he was very funny in Toy Story 3, too.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

you listed the correct film first
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt was chasing waterfalls there.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

rass wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:Michael Keaton. Does. Not.Suck At. comedy.
Thanks AB. That was unfuckingcalledfor Pruitt.

I haven't watched it in years, but I loved Johnny Dangerously as a kid. And he was very funny in Toy Story 3, too.
Michael Keaton is fantastic. I think I hate you.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pruitt wrote:Scottie will understand me when I say that other than the high production values, Clear History was like a lot of Canadian feature films: quirky characters in a rural setting who are worldly wise. A plot that is nonsensical and acting that runs the gamut from hamminess to comatose.
And rife with cronyism.

The typical Canadian feature film is funded by the Canada Council for the Arts, directed by Sarah Polley, shot 50-miles (sorry, 80-kilometers) outside of Toronto on some generic lakefront property, starring Rebecca Jenkins and Megan Follows as the possible lesbian hipster-turned-earthy couple that are escaping the rigmarole of the big city and getting back to Margaret Atwood Surfacing country but still use iPads, Paul Gross as the hot RCMP love interest and former local high school hero that divides them, Graham Greene as the inevitable wise old aboriginal, Sook-Yin Lee because she's sort of Chinese and probably available for employment, Manoj Sood as the token East Indian who wants to sell the log cabin and develop a Punjabi vindaloo restaurant powered by gigantic wind turbines, Cynthia Dale as the lonely and possibly insane widow next door, Peter Keleghan as the guy that stalks her, Rémy Girard as the French guy that has to be in the film to establish Canada Council funding and we need to get some subtitles in there somehow, and it's all narrated by Gordon Pinsent. Musical score by Rufus Wainwright. Produced by Moses Znaimer and Bernie Finkelstein. And aired every second summer Sunday on CBC late night.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Out of Sight/Jackie Brown.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sorry I touched a nerve with the Michael Keaton comment, but it's one that I will not retract.

Personal taste of course, but Mr. Mom?, Multiplicity? surprised that his star turn in Herbie Fully Loaded wasn't trotted out.

We'll agree to disagree, but (in my mind) he is to comedy what Billy Joel is to rock music.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Pruitt wrote: . . . he is to comedy what Billy Joel is to rock music.
Straight as boom.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ya know, they both kinda look alike. So the comparison is kinda valid. But I'm not very gung ho with this fire you started, Pruitt.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Scottie wrote:
Pruitt wrote: . . . he is to comedy what Billy Joel is to rock music.
Straight as boom.
Yeah, if intentional that was really funny.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

"The Worlds End" was awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

AussieDave wrote:"The Worlds End" was awesome.
Really want to see that. This being the week before a week's vacation makes finding time difficult.

I did watch This is 40 over the weekend and liked it, though to a certain extent I found it more enjoyable than funny. The one uncontrollable LOL moment for me was almost a throwaway line from a secondary character (the mustache joke), and I almost want to verify that Apatow came up with the joke himself before giving the movie too much credit.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

AussieDave wrote:"The Worlds End" was awesome.
Not in the same league as Shaun or Hot Fuzz, but pretty good... I don't know how all the Brit references translate across the pond, but it is worth a look.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I had no idea Errol Morris made this film. I'm a huge fan.

Errol Morris On His Donald Rumsfeld Doc, ‘The Unknown Known,’ at Telluride

Clip: " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Hobbitwo:
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Stand Up Guys with Christopher Walken and a nicely subdued Al Pacino was really good. Nothing major, but a lot of fun scenes.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Great read.

"In 1968, I was on my way to the fuckin' gas chamber. Now I got fuckin' action figures."
Totally Kafkaesque
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Isn't that the dude whose head they attached to the turtle in BB?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote:Isn't that the dude whose head they attached to the turtle in BB?
The same.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

What I love about Trejo's story is that his 'overnight success' came after decades of hard work. 16 year between prison release and his first Hollywood job as an extra, 16 years of staying clean, within the law, helping other addicts. Then another ten years of hustling as a bit actor before his break. And he spends the next 18 years working hard, taking an incredible number of roles rather than resting on his success.

I make the assumption that he declined a whole lot of shortcuts and easy decisions since he left prison the last time.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:What I love about Trejo's story is that his 'overnight success' came after decades of hard work. 16 year between prison release and his first Hollywood job as an extra, 16 years of staying clean, within the law, helping other addicts. Then another ten years of hustling as a bit actor before his break. And he spends the next 18 years working hard, taking an incredible number of roles rather than resting on his success.

I make the assumption that he declined a whole lot of shortcuts and easy decisions since he left prison the last time.
As Brian, mentioned, we had a great thread about Danny Trejo before. I read Eddie Bunker's autobiography and he discussed how he got Danny Trejo started in movies. Eddie Bunker was a career criminal who met Danny in San Quentin, then became a hollywood screenwriter and actor (He was Mr. Blue in Reservoir Dogs.)
//Block// What was the first movie that you worked on?

//Danny// “Runaway Train” with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts.

//Block// How did you get hooked up with Jon Voight and Eric Roberts?

//Danny// That was actually a fluke. I was a drug counselor, and one of the kids I was working with, I was asked to just hang out with him, for support, and I happen to run into Eddie Bunker, O.G. old gangster. I met Eddie in ‘62, My uncle bought a robbery from him.

//Block// Eddie Bunker is a writer?

//Danny// He was a real famous writer in the joint. He was real good for writing writs. And writs have to be written exactly as the court wants them. Anything spelled wrong, anything out of place, they kick it out. He was real good writing writs. That’s what he became famous for in the criminal world.

//Block// What exactly is a writ? Explain writs to me?

//Danny// A writ is like a writ of habeas corpus. I can get you back into court if I write a correct writ. That says these are the reasons I should come back to court. And if they are written completely correctly with no miss spellings, no anything, boom! You can actually get a reversal on changes and stuff. A lot of people don’t know that now.

//Block// Is it kind of like an appeal?

//Danny// It goes after an appeal. It’s a writ of habeas corpus. I have to be produced in court.

//Block// So, “Runaway Train” was your first project?

//Danny// I walked onto that movie set to just hang out with this kid who was having a problem with cocaine. I ran into Eddie Bunker. We started talking. I use to hold the lightweight and welter weight titles in every penitentiary I was in… and remember that. So, I was hanging out with this kid. And Eddie Bunker who actually did the screen play, the original screen play was written by Aikawa, a famous Japanese writer. It wasn’t for an American audience. They had the Jon Voight character as a wife killer and a legendary in the penitentiary. Well, you can’t be a legend in the penitentiary, you’re kind of a punk!

//Block// That’s unacceptable.

//Danny// Yeah, and so Eddie kind of changed that for the American audience. Adapt it.

//Block// Make it more believable.

//Danny// Yeah, so when I ran into him, he was like, “you still boxing?” I said, “just training.”

He said, “we need someone to train one of the actors how to box. You want a job?” I got a job training Eric Roberts how to box for that movie, “Runaway Train.” Then the director saw me, and he saw that I could handle Eric cause Eric was nuts at that time. He was a loose canon in ‘85. The director, Andrei Konchalovsky saw it. He just came over and hired me.

//Block// It’s a boxing scene you have in the beginning of the film.

//Danny// Eric’s character beats the shit out of me.
link
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian