Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw Ready Player One last night and was entertained. It detracted from the book in various ways (like getting the first key), but that's necessary. At the very least it completely avoided the "I Am Very Smart" and "Nice Guy" attributes of the main character from the book. The latent misogyny isn't in the movie from what I can tell. Also, the ticket was free. (It's normally 3 bucks, but free makes it worth it.)

Saw Blockers tonight. It had really funny moments, but the premise makes little sense these days. With how easy it is to get laid, a group of parents trying to keep their daughters from having sex seems quaint. Reminded me of American Pie in that sense. Also, I could've sworn the girl who played Sam was 30. And I also could've sworn I'd seen her before. Nope on both accounts. But she's Pamela Adlon's (of Californication fame) daughter, so that's why I thought those things. Her name is actually Gideon.

Next week...Infinity War. Can't wait.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Infinity War day for me...4pm IMAX showing. Been waiting on this for 10 years.

I don't care about spoilers so I've seen some detail and know roughly how it ends. I'm a little nervous but still expect it to be a compelling story.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

10:15PM tonight (non-IMAX/3D). Been avoiding spoilers as best I can without giving up the internet entirely.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So as someone who doesn't give a shit about comic book movies, what's the big deal about this one? Isn't there like some kind of movie where they all get together and fuck up the bad guys like every couple of years or so?

Legit question.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

My question is the same as brian's, except I give even less of a shit.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:32 pm My question is the same as brian's, except I give even less of a shit.
I just don't want to hear anyone complain about the story not making sense.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Supposedly there is a a story arc in this one where Thor becomes romantically engaged with another male character (which isn't revelaed yet), so it's a real turn from the macho tone to a more accepting plea to the LBGTQ community. So it's really triyng to be more inclusive.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:37 pm Supposedly there is a a story arc in this one where Thor becomes romantically engaged with another male character (which isn't revelaed yet), so it's a real turn from the macho tone to a more accepting plea to the LBGTQ community. So it's really triyng to be more inclusive.
That's pretty awesome, but that's why all you guys are excited?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:37 pm Supposedly there is a a story arc in this one where Thor becomes romantically engaged with another male character (which isn't revelaed yet), so it's a real turn from the macho tone to a more accepting plea to the LBGTQ community. So it's really triyng to be more inclusive.
I'm excited regardless, but that's why this is more than "just another avengers movie" I think in terms of the media coverage and whatnot it's getting.
Last edited by A_B on Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:40 pm
brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:39 pm
I'm excited regardless, but that's why this is more than "just another avengers movie" I think.
Fair enough.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My daughter is hyped because of this.

But she - like millions and millions of others - likes watching things blow up, and would be going to see it regardless.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm So as someone who doesn't give a shit about comic book movies, what's the big deal about this one? Isn't there like some kind of movie where they all get together and fuck up the bad guys like every couple of years or so?

Legit question.
Basically yes. What Marvel has done that's different here is have an interconnected (to varying degrees) series of almost 20 movies come out over the course of a decade with enough of a set plan and guiding hand that they've kept a high degree of consistency in tone and quality (thinking ahead to keep the major actors in place was a good idea, too). They've even let relatively unproven directors like Ryan Coogler or James Gunn or international treasure Taika Waititi have control of some of the properties and make them their own (I would challenge someone to show me a movie from 2017 that looked as cool as Thor: Ragnorak, and was as consistently funny).

Yeah, there's plenty of CGI blowy up stuff, and some people will clearly dismiss comic book movies out of hand because of that, if not the source material. But we know CGI blowy up stuff comic book stories can be done poorly because Marvel has a competitor (DC, with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.) that has contemporaneously tried the same thing and has failed miserably with almost every movie they have made. For those into these types of stories, Marvel is doing something right.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:01 pm
brian wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 1:26 pm So as someone who doesn't give a shit about comic book movies, what's the big deal about this one? Isn't there like some kind of movie where they all get together and fuck up the bad guys like every couple of years or so?

Legit question.
Basically yes. What Marvel has done that's different here is have an interconnected (to varying degrees) series of almost 20 movies come out over the course of a decade with enough of a set plan and guiding hand that they've kept a high degree of consistency in tone and quality (thinking ahead to keep the major actors in place was a good idea, too). They've even let relatively unproven directors like Ryan Coogler or James Gunn or international treasure Taika Waititi have control of some of the properties and make them their own (I would challenge someone to show me a movie from 2017 that looked as cool as Thor: Ragnorak, and was as consistently funny).

Yeah, there's plenty of CGI blowy up stuff, and some people will clearly dismiss comic book movies out of hand because of that, if not the source material. But we know CGI blowy up stuff comic book stories can be done poorly because Marvel has a competitor (DC, with Superman, Batman, Wonder Woman, etc.) that has contemporaneously tried the same thing and has failed miserably with almost every movie they have made. For those into these types of stories, Marvel is doing something right.
OK, so that's what I didn't really understand. But makes sense. For myself, I'll be going to see Super Troopers 2 on Sunday.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also all the shit I said was made up.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:17 pm Also all the shit I said was made up.
I knew that because you didn't use the /spoiler tags.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Damn, you ruined the "So the kid from Adventures in Babysitting was right?" joke I was about to post.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Legit question.
To provide a more serious answer (despite how entertaining AB's was) it's not that I love comic books...it's that I appreciate good story telling and I like action in terms of hand-to-hand combat scenes and stuff blowing up (even if it is mostly CGI). I think that Marvel has done excellent job of creating depth to their characters, a good story line that can exist in something close to reality and good action sequences...and to top it off they interconnected ten years and 18 movies that all build on one another. You probably don't have to have seen all three Iron Man movies to enjoy Infinity War but it helps to understand who and why Iron Man is who he is and does what he does. My wife saw the first Avengers movie and said "I liked it but it was hard to care about the characters"...she might have cared if she had seen the preceding Iron Mans, Thor and Captain America.

That was a long way of saying I like the pretty colors and appreciate Marvel Studios effort.
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm
Damn, you ruined the "So the kid from Adventures in Babysitting was right?" joke I was about to post.
Forget I said anything and post away!

(I once had a run in with Thor during Hood to Coast as I ran through Portland at midnight. Fuck that guy.)
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

I should add for Infinity War specifically, Brian you are correct, a bunch of the individual movie people are coming together to either fuck shit up or get their shit fucked up. That's why this one is extra-hyped. Depending on how you count there are roughly 64 "hero/good guy" characters. Longest credits scene ever...

And we'll have to go through this again next year when unnamed Avengers 4 comes out to clean up what happens in this one.
What am I, 12?
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Man, I disagree with the "good storytelling" comment. Comic book movies have comic book story lines. (And lots of cool explosions!)

I got a kick out the the sub-headline in the SF Chronicle's review today:
The biggest battle in Marvel's latest is trying to find something for all the characters to do
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:57 pm That's why this one is extra-hyped. Depending on how you count there are roughly 64 "hero/good guy" characters. Longest credits scene ever...

That just moved me from zero interest either way, to actively disliking the idea of this movie. 64 characters is at least 50 too many.

As for the DC movies, I thought Wonder Woman was a huge hit. My parents even loved it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 3:42 pm Man, I disagree with the "good storytelling" comment. Comic book movies have comic book story lines. (And lots of cool explosions!)

I got a kick out the the sub-headline in the SF Chronicle's review today:
The biggest battle in Marvel's latest is trying to find something for all the characters to do
Good story telling doesn’t always have to be a full length novel...As long as one is emotionally invested in the characters the medium shouldn’t matter.
What am I, 12?
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It was awesome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

[+] spoiler
So literally EVERY HERO ON EARTH manages to get to Cap’s location in time to get slapped around by Thanos before he gets the last gem except one of the few who can fly and the only one weilding a Thanos killing super-weapon???

Just bugged me when I thought of it on the way to my car. No biggie, the movie was a lot of fun.

But I guess they better nail the Captain Marvel movie...
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So...it was this franchise’s Empire, right? I was 10 when Empire came out, but that’s the last time I left a theater feeling like that.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Quoting my 10-year old daughter, "That was the worst best movie ever."
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Here's your entryway to the franchise.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's pretty hilarious.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

One thing (maybe the only thing?) I like about getting older is re-watching certain movies that I feel I didn't really give a fair shot or my full attention the first time I saw them.

Watched Adaption again last night and what a brilliant movie. A completely unique voice and way to tell a story. It's easy to forget at this point too that Nic Cage was once a great actor.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 11:42 am One thing (maybe the only thing?) I like about getting older is re-watching certain movies that I feel I didn't really give a fair shot or my full attention the first time I saw them.

Watched Adaption again last night and what a brilliant movie. A completely unique voice and way to tell a story. It's easy to forget at this point too that Nic Cage was once a great actor.
Yeah, I loved that movie. I knew nothing about it when I watched it a couple of years ago, but thought the whole meta storytelling was brilliant.
Totally Kafkaesque
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fuck fish.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Tonight. Finally!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched Paterno on HBO and they did a good job of showing that the real villain in the movie (other than Sandusky) are Penn State fans.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Just saw A Quiet Place. Well done movie. Great chemistry between the actors (one would expect that with Krasinski and Blunt).
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Finally watched Deadpool and holy shit that was awesome.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, Spike Lee received a 10 minute standing ovation at the Cannes film festival. The movie is set to premiere on August 10th, the anniversary of the Charlottesville debacle.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"America First!"

That looks tremendous.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I can't imagine clapping for anything for 10 minutes.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto