Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:41 pm Yeah we need specifics. I am pretty sure my version will have commercial breaks, (recorded from YouTube TV). I am definitely in though. Can we do Road House next?
Pain don't hurt.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Roadhouse is on Prime. I'm in.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 pm Roadhouse is on Prime. I'm in.
And f me it has 4.5 stars.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 9:00 pm
P.D.X. wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:59 pm Roadhouse is on Prime. I'm in.
And f me it has 4.5 stars.
Out of 4.3?

Anything less than 100% is a lie.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Road House is perfect for a second pass.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

In on road house for sure.

SwampST3K is on.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

for doing this...you need to check this out:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That IS cool, but requires watching on the computer though, which sucks when you have a 60-inch TV.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 am That IS cool, but requires watching on the computer though, which sucks when you have a 60-inch TV.
No HDMI output?
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

duff wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am
brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:07 am That IS cool, but requires watching on the computer though, which sucks when you have a 60-inch TV.
No HDMI output?
Not on my Macbook, no.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:11 am
duff wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:08 am
No HDMI output?
Not on my Macbook, no.
If you have an Apple TV you can screen share. Although that doesn't sound like an option.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think we can all agree Roadhouse is a perfect movie for the second pass at this, whenever that ends up being (maybe soon if Point Break goes well).

Let's come up with a list of some ideas for future ones so that people can either DVR them (if they're playing on cable) or purchase/borrow the DVDs with some lead time if they are not on any major streaming services. We have to be cognizant of not doing anything TOO obscure (which I'm going to break with one of my suggestions, but frankly it's a movie that everyone should own anyway).

Here's a quick list of some ones that I think would be fun:

The Room
Rocky IV
Over The Top
The Big Lebowski

(I think what we're looking for here is movies that would be fun to talk about, not necessarily "bad" movies. I don't really consider Roadhouse and Point Break to be "bad" movies, frankly.)
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 4:14 pm Point Break is actually on television Thursday morning on the SyFy network. So, I'll record it on the dvr it and I'll be down for the group viewing, whenever it occurs.
Thank you for reminding me about this. I did a little checking for future airings before my flight home changed, so I will be on this plan. Pausing/editing for TV may create some minor issues, but nothing serious.
Warning: This is the new version. Repeat, do not record this one.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Room has to be seen to be believed. Even the hype around it doesn;t dampen the pure joy of watching it.

But "Rocky IV" is one of the truly great terrible movies of all time.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:39 pm
sancarlos wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:27 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:26 pm I think a break halfway through running time for reactions and piss breaks and refills.
That's some executive level thinking, right there.
Honestly I had the same thought. Once DSafe is in I’ll post an agenda.
I need to figure out my source to watch it. If anyone has any other options beyond the YouTube to stream it, please post in the thread.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:39 am I think we can all agree Roadhouse is a perfect movie for the second pass at this, whenever that ends up being (maybe soon if Point Break goes well).

Let's come up with a list of some ideas for future ones so that people can either DVR them (if they're playing on cable) or purchase/borrow the DVDs with some lead time if they are not on any major streaming services. We have to be cognizant of not doing anything TOO obscure (which I'm going to break with one of my suggestions, but frankly it's a movie that everyone should own anyway).

Here's a quick list of some ones that I think would be fun:

The Room
Rocky IV
Over The Top
The Big Lebowski

(I think what we're looking for here is movies that would be fun to talk about, not necessarily "bad" movies. I don't really consider Roadhouse and Point Break to be "bad" movies, frankly.)
Tango & Cash was snuggled up with Point Break in the box where I found the latter.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

If you're up for an outright MST3K-level atrocious movie, I recommend Samurai Cop, which I watched for the first time a couple days ago and it was one of the most entertaining experiences of my life:

Full movie can be streamed for free on Crackle.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you’re looking for a great movie you might have not seen that bares some similarity to our current situation, Check out Melancholia. NYT called it the best movie of the 2010s. It’s definitely an outstanding movie.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 pm If you’re looking for a great movie you might have not seen that bares some similarity to our current situation, Check out Melancholia. NYT called it the best movie of the 2010s. It’s definitely an outstanding movie.
Right now, I need movies that get me the fuck out of our current situation. Times like this make me realize all of the shows I watch have a darkness to them. Even shows I think are fun goofball shows like Avenue 5 and Brockmire, all dark. Why don't I watch any happy shows?
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 12:43 pm
brian wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:55 pm If you’re looking for a great movie you might have not seen that bares some similarity to our current situation, Check out Melancholia. NYT called it the best movie of the 2010s. It’s definitely an outstanding movie.
Right now, I need movies that get me the fuck out of our current situation. Times like this make me realize all of the shows I watch have a darkness to them. Even shows I think are fun goofball shows like Avenue 5 and Brockmire, all dark. Why don't I watch any happy shows?
Friends is on seven hours a day on TBS.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Can't go wrong with a sweet animated movie.

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Go seek out Joe Pera Talks With You. (juris) Doctor's orders.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:23 pm
Go seek out Joe Pera Talks With You. (juris) Doctor's orders.
That's about the right level of seriousness. I watched a web series he did a few years ago, no doubt I found it here. And his bit about why the Buffalo Bills are so great someone recently posted is fucking gold. I can't help wonder how much is an act, and how much is just him being weird. He is totally self aware, but I can't imagine he isn't weird.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today. Rolled through the guide and saw "Days of Thunder" was on one of the channels today. Decided to record that as a potential future Swamp Quarantine Movie.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today. Rolled through the guide and saw "Days of Thunder" was on one of the channels today. Decided to record that as a potential future Swamp Quarantine Movie.
I'll do it, but only (and I'm not joking) because that was Peak Nicole Kidman.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:05 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today. Rolled through the guide and saw "Days of Thunder" was on one of the channels today. Decided to record that as a potential future Swamp Quarantine Movie.
Part of my interest is that a friend of mine does a podcast about bad movies with a couple friends/co-workers. They did an episode about a year ago on it and it was interesting hearing them talk about a movie so old that I was familiar with, but had not seen in a long time. The cultural changes that have happened in that time make for a much more interesting look back at a classic "80's" movie (it came out in 1990, but holds much more in common with the previous decade for obvious reasons).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:22 pm
Part of my interest is that a friend of mine does a podcast about bad movies with a couple friends/co-workers. They did an episode about a year ago on it and it was interesting hearing them talk about a movie so old that I was familiar with, but had not seen in a long time. The cultural changes that have happened in that time make for a much more interesting look back at a classic "80's" movie (it came out in 1990, but holds much more in common with the previous decade for obvious reasons).
Excellent choice for Swamp Quarantine episode 3.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I stumbled across it a couple of years ago and watched the last half or so but I don't remember a whole lot, so I agree with the premise. Maybe Bronto will join in.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 2:52 pm
I stumbled across it a couple of years ago and watched the last half or so but I don't remember a whole lot, so I agree with the premise. Maybe Bronto will join in.
Yeah, it definitely would be good to have our resident NASCAR expert in the crew.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I wasn't trying to think of a nominee for Movie #3, I just thought it would be something stupid we could comment on. Deep cast, directed by Tony Scott (Top Gun, True Romance, etc.).

That said, I did think of a suggestion for a future movie. Good movie, works well with a large portion of the Swamp due to age, and I know it's been talked about here.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 6:38 pm I wasn't trying to think of a nominee for Movie #3, I just thought it would be something stupid we could comment on. Deep cast, directed by Tony Scott (Top Gun, True Romance, etc.).

That said, I did think of a suggestion for a future movie. Good movie, works well with a large portion of the Swamp due to age, and I know it's been talked about here.
These work too.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Last Boy Scout?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:41 pm The Last Boy Scout?
This would be really good, also (and also directed by Tony Scott - he has a style).

I had "Grosse Pointe Blank" in mind.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you guys want to do it again, I think Road House is a definite solid choice though there are mostly no bad answers. I'm home and free every night (no kids, not being a smartass) so you guys pick a night.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 pm If you guys want to do it again, I think Road House is a definite solid choice though there are mostly no bad answers. I'm home and free every night (no kids, not being a smartass) so you guys pick a night.
I think the "once a week" thing works. "Road House" is (unsurprisingly) going to be aired by AMC shortly. I think watching it live and edited for TV (or recorded and played at the same time) could be entertaining because we can grouse about things being cut.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Giff wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 9:41 pm The Last Boy Scout?
Or Die Hard. Yeah.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:26 pm
brian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:21 pm If you guys want to do it again, I think Road House is a definite solid choice though there are mostly no bad answers. I'm home and free every night (no kids, not being a smartass) so you guys pick a night.
I think the "once a week" thing works. "Road House" is (unsurprisingly) going to be aired by AMC shortly. I think watching it live and edited for TV (or recorded and played at the same time) could be entertaining because we can grouse about things being cut.
I do have the DVD for that one. The Kevin Smith commentary track was a selling point, but is surprisingly disappointing.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:27 pm
I do have the DVD for that one. The Kevin Smith commentary track was a selling point, but is surprisingly disappointing.
As a former fan of his, I'm not surprised.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He's not the first person that money and fame has ruined. Won't be the last.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Next Thursday works for me.