Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I was underwhelmed by it, but I thought Sheldon working at Medieval Times and banging that other guy's mom was funny.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote:We just rewatched it a few months ago and ... it doesn't hold up. I remember liking it the first time, but I was still a youth then.

My wife loves that movie. She hasn't seen it in years, but man she loved it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It has Natalie Portman, so I am still okay with it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I gotta say. I never understood the hate or the love for that movie. It seems to bring out strong visceral opinions in people for some reason.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Agreed that Diabolique is great, but the plot point that always bothered me was

[+] spoiler
How was that guy not actually drowned earlier on?

[+] spoiler
Je ne sais quoi
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote:It has Natalie Portman, so I am still okay with it.

Don't rewatch it. She looks like a child.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

mister d wrote:
tennbengal wrote:It has Natalie Portman, so I am still okay with it.

Don't rewatch it. She looks like a child.

As opposed to Beautiful Girls where she is a child.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Trading Places was filmed in Philadelphia in the neighborhood I grew up in (right around Rittenhouse square). I had not lived there for several years before they shot the film, it did bring back some memories.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I haven't seen any of the MCU movies since the first Iron Man, but I may have to get out to see the new Thor, at least because Cate Blanchett looks AMAZING. I don't know if it's the dark eyeshadow or the black hair, but I don't think she's ever looked hotter.

My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

L-Jam3 wrote:I haven't seen any of the MCU movies since the first Iron Man, but I may have to get out to see the new Thor, at least because Cate Blanchett looks AMAZING. I don't know if it's the dark eyeshadow or the black hair, but I don't think she's ever looked hotter.

She is really hot and hams her part up beautifully. The film sucks huge balls though...
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm betting this one of those deals where you guys don't get the humor from the colonies.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Girls Trip had two scenes - and one of them was well over a minute long - that had me struggling to breathe because I was laughing so hard.

Honestly, that hasn't happened in a long while. A few other good laughs and a very predictable story. But man, I was crying...
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Saw the new Blade Runner last night. Pretty good...interesting. Ryan Gosling was great. But man....did it fucking DRAG in spots. So many scenes of him slowly walking into somewhere, and then SLOWLY surveying the scene. C'mon...get a move on!

And the Jared Leto character reminded me of Father John Misty, but in look and temperament.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Tom 1860 wrote:
L-Jam3 wrote:I haven't seen any of the MCU movies since the first Iron Man, but I may have to get out to see the new Thor, at least because Cate Blanchett looks AMAZING. I don't know if it's the dark eyeshadow or the black hair, but I don't think she's ever looked hotter.

She is really hot and hams her part up beautifully. The film sucks huge balls though...

Not sure what movie you watched, but it was very good. Must have cut out the Elway scenes here in the states.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Baby Driver is awesome.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Thor was, point in fact, completely awesome.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote:Thor was, point in fact, completely awesome.

I've only seen a couple MCU films - offbrand ones like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. If I go see Thor Ragnarok, would I have any problems following along?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

I've only seen a couple MCU films - offbrand ones like Deadpool and Guardians of the Galaxy. If I go see Thor Ragnarok, would I have any problems following along?

Well, it's not a Terrence Malick movie so I think you should be OK. There will be a good guy and bad guys and at some point there will probably be a chase of some kind, possibly in some form of transportation we would consider unusual for that type of pursuit. There will be a love story of some kind probably. I think you'll probably keep up.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Well, yeah. I'm assuming there will be combat of some sort, too. Probably near the end. But how much time will I be saying, "Wait, who's that guy again?"
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The big green guy is the Hulk. Thor knows him from work.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

If you can, watch Thor 2 first, will make some of the humor pay off if you know that plot a bit...or get a quick synopsis from somewhere of Loki's backstory - which stretches through Thor 1, the Avengers and Thor 2. Loki was raised as Thor's brother, although he was adopted, and carries second brother issues around with him. He also is persona non grata on Earth for attacking it in the first Avengers.

ETA - these crib notes should suffice:

Loki Laufeyson is the son of Laufey, the ruler of the Frost Giants in Jotunheim. Shortly after his birth, Loki was abandoned and left to die. Found by the Asgardian King Odin, he was taken to Asgard and raised by Odin and his wife Frigga as an Asgardian prince, along with their biological son Thor. When he grew up, he became known as the "God of Mischief". When Loki learned of the truth about his real father, he made a plan to force Odin to banish Thor so he could become next in line to the throne. Loki succeeded in his schemes and took the throne as Odin fell into the Odinsleep, however when the Warriors Three and Lady Sif attempted to return Thor home, Loki was forced to try and kill his brother. Nonetheless, Thor returned from his exile on Earth and ended Loki's reign.

Lost in the darkest depths of the universe, Loki made a deal with The Other, a servant of the Mad Titan Thanos, who gave him a powerful Scepter and command over their army of the Chitauri to conquer Earth. Once he came to Midgard, Loki managed to take possession of the mystical Tesseract and used its power to build an army and caused the Chitauri Invasion, but he was ultimately defeated by a group of superheroes called the Avengers. Thor returned him to Asgard, where Odin condemned him to spend the rest of his life in prison as punishment for his crimes.

However, when his mother Frigga was killed during the Sacking of Asgard, Loki was freed by Thor in order to defeat the Dark Elves and their leader, Malekith who desired to use the power of the Aether to transform the universe into eternal darkness. During the fight against the Dark Elves in Svartalfheim, Loki faked his death, and, unbeknownst to everyone in the Kingdom, returned to Asgard and successfully removed Odin from the throne, taking his place as King where he remained for several years. During his reign, Loki continued to rule Asgard by sending Lady Sif on missions to Earth to investigate the attacks of Lorelei and Vin-Tak.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:The big green guy is the Hulk. Thor knows him from work.

I found the bolded portion particularly amusing.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

rass wrote:The big green guy is the Hulk. Thor knows him from work.

Heard the story behind that line is pretty good. A Make a Wish kid was on set that day and came up with that line.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A fool and their money are soon parted. If I cared about Star Wars I might care that Disney is apparently taking a shit all over the franchise but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/928743651429310464
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Thor was a lot of fun.

If I had a van the opening shot of Immigrant Song would be painted on the side this weekend.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote:Thor was a lot of fun.

If I had a van the opening shot of Immigrant Song would be painted on the side this weekend.

Yes.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Loved it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:A fool and their money are soon parted. If I cared about Star Wars I might care that Disney is apparently taking a shit all over the franchise but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/Polygon/status/928743651429310464

Eh, I'm pretty sure Lucas's original plan for Star Wars was 12 films - four trilogies. If they stay good, keep making them!
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

yeah, I mean the franchise is a cash cow and Disney needs to get that ROI. My son is deep in the Star Wars universe. He has devoured the books and comics. We watch the animated Star Wars Rebels and my son may not seep next week as we wait on Battlefront II. The expanded universe adds really good color to the movies and depth to characters. Starwars is not going to win an Oscar, but a fun movie that gives pretty good value.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In retrospect maybe the best thing for Star Wars fans were the set of shitty prequels Lucas made. After that, it couldn't really get any worse I suppose.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote:In retrospect maybe the best thing for Star Wars fans were the set of shitty prequels Lucas made. After that, it couldn't really get any worse I suppose.

I get what you're saying, but man those movies sucked. We'd all be better off without them.
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Shirley wrote:
brian wrote:In retrospect maybe the best thing for Star Wars fans were the set of shitty prequels Lucas made. After that, it couldn't really get any worse I suppose.

I get what you're saying, but man those movies sucked. We'd all be better off without them.

They were brutal.

And they proved that you could release two hours of footage of cats shitting, give it a "Star Wars" title and it'd still bring in $300 million.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

REvenge of the shit.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can't believe that incredibly detailed piece doesn't even include the fact that it sounds like the whole movie is basically a (weird) ripoff of "It's a Wonderful Life". I mean they named the movie Pottersville. It's not exactly subtle.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Yeah the author totally missed that, even referencing IAWL at one point, but not tying it to the overall theme.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Supes had a stache during reshoots that he couldn't shave (for another movie). I've read bad things, but..

https://twitter.com/DanaSchwartzzz/stat ... 4667680768
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The wife and I are kidless this weekend so I was hoping to see a movie or two. My god what garbage there is out there. Gonna have to make the trek downtown to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Anyone see it?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Giff wrote:The wife and I are kidless this weekend so I was hoping to see a movie or two. My god what garbage there is out there. Gonna have to make the trek downtown to see The Killing of a Sacred Deer. Anyone see it?

Nah but I thought The Lobster was great.