Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

I read the spoiler, and having heard of the movie but not knowing anything about it I thought immediately of this:

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Perhaps I should add that I was curled up in fear.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Saw Captain Marvel last night. Thought it was somewhere between good and great. From what I saw in the trailers I was worried I would not like Brie Larson as the character but I think she did a great job with it. The story was much better/a little more complex than I expected.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

GoodKarma wrote: Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:37 am Saw Captain Marvel last night. Thought it was somewhere between good and great. From what I saw in the trailers I was worried I would not like Brie Larson as the character but I think she did a great job with it. The story was much better/a little more complex than I expected.
This is about where I land.
[+] spoiler
The problem with the first movie about a character is the exposition or origin of the character. It was a bit clunky at first but I thought they cleaned it up. Also the Marvel title screen at the beginning was the tits.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That was really damn good - way better than I was expecting, frankly. Enjoyed the story - and it was not your run-of-the-mill origin yarn either.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:22 pm That was really damn good - way better than I was expecting, frankly. Enjoyed the story - and it was not your run-of-the-mill origin yarn either.
Listening to my son's rambling incoherent attempt at explaining the movie, I'll agree. After 20 minutes, I cut him off, saying I have no idea what he is talking about and telling him to cut back on the details. Wrong thing to say, because he said, "OK, I'll start over from the beginning with less details."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I agree with pretty much all of AB’s spoiler text above. It was very good! I enjoyed it.

The Marvel movies just seem so safe right now, and I’m not even entirely sure what I want them to do differently. They’re such a proven commodity at this point that they should be able to do something off the wall, and they pretty much never do. And maybe this is just the Star Wars fan in me, but I still wish that put the effort into developing notable fanfare for each character. I could identify the Avengers and the GotG themes, but that’s it.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Victory is on Cinemax this month and not sure and movie in history had a more bizarre cast (and directed by John Huston, one of the greatest directors ever too!)

Michael Caine
Max Von Sydow
Sylvester Stallone
Pele
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Oh man, that movie. I've seen it all the way through at least 20 times, and partial scenes maybe 100 times or more. Hit me right as I was deciding to put my focus on being a goalie, so Sylvester really grabbed my imagination. I know Gordon Banks worked with him, but his technique drives me fucking crazy. That said, it's true to the plot, in that he really shouldn't have good form, given his total lack of soccer background.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pele with the chalk board....phenomenal acting
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I had read and liked the Nick Hornby novel, so I picked up a dvd of Juliet, Naked at the library. I thought Ethan Hawke, Rose Byrne, and Chris O’Dowd were all pretty good, The wife is into Rom-Coms, so she especially liked it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'm surprised I haven't sought that out yet.

We watched A Star Is Born last night and really enjoyed it.
[+] spoiler
The ending was a gut punch, especially to my wife who lost her brother to suicide.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Free Solo' last night, and really enjoyed it, even though it was anxiety-inducing to be sure. Really wished we had seen it on a big screen, with a full theater, just to get the full effect.

Other thoughts:

- We still liked "Dawn Wall" better. More of a story line, and Tommy Caldwell is more relatable of a character.
- Alex: Bit Asperegery?
- Wonder how long that relationship is going to last.
- It was nice to see Tommy Caldwell be in so much of the movie. I was wondering if there was any kind of rivalry between the guys, but it was cool to see Tommy there and supporting him.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Trailer for Once Upon a Time in Hollywood just released.

Tarantino, Pitt, Leo, Pacino, Margot Robbie as Sharon Tate, Dakota Fanning, Damian Lewis as Steve McQueen, last work by Luke Perry, Rumor Willis, and Lena Dunham (who I could skip..but she is a name).

Hope this is as good as the cast's bank accounts
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Is this the Potato Farm?

Yes, I am Albert Potato.
Noli Timere Messorem
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:02 pm We watched 'Free Solo' last night, and really enjoyed it, even though it was anxiety-inducing to be sure. Really wished we had seen it on a big screen, with a full theater, just to get the full effect.

Other thoughts:

- We still liked "Dawn Wall" better. More of a story line, and Tommy Caldwell is more relatable of a character.
- Alex: Bit Asperegery?
- Wonder how long that relationship is going to last.
- It was nice to see Tommy Caldwell be in so much of the movie. I was wondering if there was any kind of rivalry between the guys, but it was cool to see Tommy there and supporting him.
I was wondering throughout the movie if there was any chance that he doesn't make it and if he didn't, would they show the footage of him falling to his death? Would there even be a movie? At least wouldn't I have heard about it? So I kind of logic'd myself into ruining the ending.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:43 pm Saw Spider-Verse yesterday and was absolutely blown away. Just visually the movie was incredible and seems like a game-changer.

As in, I'd be cool if comic book-based movies went this direction for the foreseeable future. I know that's unrealistic, but it was just so fucking cool to see how they gave so many touches that made it really feel like a comic book or graphic novel come to life.

But, then the story and voice acting on so many fronts was just higher level. I'm still kind of reeling from just HOW MUCH they wedged into the movie, but that it never felt overwhelming and so many of the characters felt fleshed out and tangible.

Can't wait for whatever comes next. And I haven't said that very much about all this comic book stuff. I've liked a lot of them, but I have to say it's nice watching one of these where the stakes (blowing up the Earth/Universe) didn't seem to be the dominant driver of the plot.
Finally saw it today, and I echo everything you said.

I am not a fan of superhero movies, partially because they have got so far away from their roots.

(I realize that may sound silly...)

Spider-Verse was like watching a comic book come to life. Absolutely fantastic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m to the point where I doggedly refuse to watch any Marvel or DC movie period but I’ve heard so much good stuff I feel I should check it out.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 pm I’m to the point where I doggedly refuse to watch any Marvel or DC movie period but I’ve heard so much good stuff I feel I should check it out.
Same
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Well, it has no connection in any way other than being a Marvel Character.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 5:06 am
brian wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 pm I’m to the point where I doggedly refuse to watch any Marvel or DC movie period but I’ve heard so much good stuff I feel I should check it out.
Same
That's my feeling too. But trust me, this movie was made by witty fans, not by Michael Bey or Christopher Nolan imitators. The tone is perfect.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Just Guess Who's Supplying The Voice of Boots the Monkey in the Dora The Explorer Movie

Hint: This actor appeared on the recent "Most On Screen Deaths" list.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am Just Guess Who's Supplying The Voice of Boots the Monkey in the Dora The Explorer Movie

A bit dark and gravely for a happy monkey. This Dora movie could be the Dark Knight of children's movie. Del Toro as swiper, Pena as Dora's father and a son of Whalberg as Diego....Did not see Map on the IMDB page.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

But no boots on Boots...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 11:48 am
Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 10:07 am Just Guess Who's Supplying The Voice of Boots the Monkey in the Dora The Explorer Movie

A bit dark and gravely for a happy monkey. This Dora movie could be the Dark Knight of children's movie. Del Toro as swiper, Pena as Dora's father and a son of Whalberg as Diego....Did not see Map on the IMDB page.
And Dora is up against some snooty high school girls too.

It actually looks like a lot of fun - my daughter was a huge fan, but at 20 is now a bit old for a father-daughter day at the movies.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shazam was a decent distraction. Nothing world breaking but fun.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Way late to this, but The Favourite was fantastic. What a great movie.

The only quibble was that I thought the Rachel Weisz was more of the lead then Olivia Coleman, but all three of the women were great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I watched The Lobster last night. What a weird fucking movie. I expected it would be dark and weird, but man, I didn't expect it to be that dark and weird. And the ending just fucked with me. Hard to just go to bed at the end, so I watched an episode of Big Mouth, which was way more dark and weird and, what the fuck are they doing in Season two of Big Mouth? Shit is so fucking bizarro.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:03 pm I watched The Lobster last night. What a weird fucking movie. I expected it would be dark and weird, but man, I didn't expect it to be that dark and weird. And the ending just fucked with me. Hard to just go to bed at the end, so I watched an episode of Big Mouth, which was way more dark and weird and, what the fuck are they doing in Season two of Big Mouth? Shit is so fucking bizarro.
I liked the lobster a lot. Same dude did the favourite which is better I believe and dis just mentikned
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Watched “There Will Be Blood” again and think as much as I liked it first viewing I might have vastly underrated it. Could be the greatest movie of the 21st century and a fitting accompaniment to Citizen Kane as criticisms of American capitalism. (And American religion as well.)

ETA: My lord, just Jonny Greenwood’s score alone. A movie about a self-made man in the style of Horatio Alger but with the score of a horror movie. Fucking genius.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I may be very late to the party, but I thought Black KKKlansman was very well done. I listened to the book also and that was great. It’s narrated by the author and he does sound “white”.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:57 pm Watched “There Will Be Blood” again and think as much as I liked it first viewing I might have vastly underrated it. Could be the greatest movie of the 21st century and a fitting accompaniment to Citizen Kane as criticisms of American capitalism. (And American religion as well.)

ETA: My lord, just Jonny Greenwood’s score alone. A movie about a self-made man in the style of Horatio Alger but with the score of a horror movie. Fucking genius.
A completely masterful film. Start to finish. I'd say that "There Will Be Blood" and "Roma" are the two greatest movies I've seen in the past decade.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Endgame at 97% fresh. So, that's pretty good.

I am seeing it tomorrow night at 6:00 pm with Q, so should be able to get to it spoiler free.

I am excited for it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:37 am Endgame at 97% fresh. So, that's pretty good.

I am seeing it tomorrow night at 6:00 pm with Q, so should be able to get to it spoiler free.

I am excited for it.
Friday at 4:20 for me
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

11PM Friday, but just realized the ticket email was sent to my wife and I never got her to forward it to me...
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am 11PM Friday, but just realized the ticket email was sent to my wife and I never got her to forward it to me...
That's a late night. I think a lot of people are gonna be a low-key pissed about preordering then the theaters opening up a million more showings. THe one I'm goign to was pretty much sold out for thursday and friday, then added the movie to more screens and times so I got lucky enough to not have to go late.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:47 am
rass wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:44 am 11PM Friday, but just realized the ticket email was sent to my wife and I never got her to forward it to me...
That's a late night. I think a lot of people are gonna be a low-key pissed about preordering then the theaters opening up a million more showings. THe one I'm goign to was pretty much sold out for thursday and friday, then added the movie to more screens and times so I got lucky enough to not have to go late.
I think I did that last year, and felt less guilty about going by myself to see it first.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Estimates range in 900M+ for first weekend.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I will see it in a few years after I watch the other movies first. No spoilers!