Post by tennbengal »

There are a LOT of worse things...
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Re: Movies

Post by Square Rob »

brian wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:08 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 9:02 am
A_B wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 8:00 am I watched the Coen's Ballad of Buster Scruggs while cozied up with my frozen peas, and while it was beautiful, there was something about it I just didn't think felt right. It definitely isn't one of their best films (though the Tom Waits section is phenomenal) but this deadspin article does a pretty good job of getting to the heart of why I think this movie should have been so much more different this day and age. Spoilers are included in that article.
I read that article yesterday, even though I'd never heard of that new movie (I don't have Netflix). I started thinking and I can't think of a single significant non-white character in ANY Coen brothers movie. But that can't be right, can it? If so, it's disappointing, and I'm surprised I'd never noticed before.
It's been discussed quite a bit amongst movie critics and those who write a lot about movies. One of the ironies of that is the movie considered pretty universally to be their worst (The Ladykillers) is about the only one of their movies to feature any significant parts for African-Americans.

I'm not going to excuse it, but I think there are some legitimate factors.

One, frankly they make a lot of period pieces and it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to have a black sheriff's deputy in 1970s rural Texas or a black professor at a university in 1960s suburban Minneapolis. If you go through their filmography there's about half their movies where it would hard to imagine any major roles just because of the location and time period.

Two, they tend to use the same actors a lot which probably helps them to get the performances they want, but limits the chances for new actors to break through.

Still, even with that it is a little troubling.
O, Brother has the Robert Johnson stand-in character. Not sure that helps the argument, though he actually is well rounded and shares a lot of screen time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 6:42 pm I guess this can get posted here. I just posted in another thread about still having my hair at my advanced age. But I was reminded how grey it is by this exchange at a Christmas party we attended this past Saturday night.

I've let my hair grow out longer than usual, so a lady at the party says,
"Wow, your hair is kinda long for you! It looks like that guy in A Star is Born."
Me: (feeling flattered). "I haven't seen that movie. Do you mean Bradley Cooper?"
Her: "Oh, gawd no. I mean the older guy... [consults iPhone]... [looks up image on iPhone]... This guy! Not the face of course, just the hair, you don't have a mustache of course."

The image was of white-haired Sam Elliott.
Start working on the mustache now, and impress her at next year's party.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 10:29 pm Start working on the mustache now, and impress her at next year's party.
I was in India to attend a wedding. One of my fellow guests had the full-on Sultan handlebar that was phenomenal. Had never seen a non-hipster example and was very very impressed.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Into the Spider Verse is pretty damn good.

Stay til after the credits.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:40 pm Watched two movies today for father's day.

Finding Nemo with my daughter (best Father's Day movie) and loved it for the 3rd time.

Searching For Sugar Man a very rare example of a film that was so much better than its hype. Everyone from students of mine to my buddy who runs a documentary film festival raved about this movie... and I was blown away.

The best thing is to watch it without any real knowledge - just enjoy, it is phenomenal.
Finally watched Searching for Sugar Man and agree -- it's an incredible movie. If you don't know anything about the story, agree with Pruitt. Don't learn anything about it before. Just dive in and get swept away.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:11 pm It is with genuine surprise that I note here that Blockers was awesome.
I'd heard that it was better than you'd expect, but even with that, it was a lot better than I expected.
A top quality comedy - and John Cena just makes me laugh.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 8:47 am
tennbengal wrote: Sat Apr 07, 2018 2:11 pm It is with genuine surprise that I note here that Blockers was awesome.
I'd heard that it was better than you'd expect, but even with that, it was a lot better than I expected.
A top quality comedy - and John Cena just makes me laugh.
It is really, really funny.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Spider-Man Spider-verse is a really really great movie. Everything - story , animation, all outstanding. Knew it was well reviewed but still unprepared for how good it was.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

A_B wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:51 pm Into the Spider Verse is pretty damn good.

Stay til after the credits.
It was so damn good. Totally forgot to stay for after the credits.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Oh my god I hope you find it on YouTube.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Vice was terrifying.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Trip To Spain was good, but the "franchise" is getting less enjoyable with each instalment.

(Although Spain looks wonderful - it may have clinched the decision that our next trip will be a return to Spain.

However...
[+] spoiler
The ending was atonal and disconcerting. Sudden appearance of Muslim insurgents? WTF?!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Spidey was great. Though we saw it with a couple of other families and my friend commiserated a little too strongly with the Kingpin and freaked me out.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

How does Jennifer Garner manage to be the worst part of every single movie she’s in?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:22 pm How does Jennifer Garner manage to be the worst part of every single movie she’s in?
She doesn't do it for me either, both acting and looks-wise.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

She’s not much of an actress but she DOES do it for me looks-wise.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Apr 11, 2018 11:40 pm We saw 'Shape of Water' over the weekend, and really enjoyed it. A few thoughts:

- The movie just looked really cool. Had that late 50's/early 60's Mad Men look down perfectly.
- Octavia Spencer is great and all...but she really needs to try playing something besides the 'sassy black woman'. She's talented! Give her more to do!
- We were remarking how strange it is that movies like Moonlight, and Shape of Water, are winning Best Picture these days. In the old days, it would have been The Post, Dunkirk, and Darkest Hour as the frontrunners.
- Michael Shannon should just play the villain in every movie. Dude is seriously intense.
- Not so sure about the hydraulics technology of stuffing a towel under the door and filling the bathroom with water. Seems a bit of a reach and all.
Finally saw it tonight, and I share all your sentiments. And if "Roma" wins this year (and what a great movie) it furthers your point about a new type of film taking the Oscar.

And as a local boy - proud to see that the exteriors were all shot here in Toronto.
[+] spoiler
The final scene where the creature takes her into the water was filmed in a spot that even though it's cleaner than it used to be, is a spot that has smelled terrible since i was a kid. Creature would have died in minutes in water that filthy!
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Dec 27, 2018 4:22 pm How does Jennifer Garner manage to be the worst part of every single movie she’s in?
Ben Affleck rubbed off.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Took in Bohemian Rhapsody last night. Enjoyed it but did not think it was the best thing I have ever seen. Thought the camera work did some interesting stuff that made me appreciate the big screen, instead of a big TV or other device. For the biopic movie, I want more story and less just here is stuff that happened. Maybe more perspective from the rest of the characters view would have helped. But just not as good as Walk the Line, La Bomba, Buddy Holly Story, or Ray. I found Rami M very strange in Mr. Robot, but he did a nice job as Freddy M. Took me a quick moment to realize it was Mike Meyers...and then wished he went thicker on the accent (just because I giggle over So I Married an Ax Murder).
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Sabo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 9:06 am Anyone seen The Mule yet?
Saw this on Christmas Day. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. Take Eastwood's character from Gran Torino, make him more frail and less racist and you have Earl Stone.

The movie based on a real-life story, which you can read here.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:59 am
rass wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 8:53 am Oh, and this is my fault for not seeing yet but I assume that the trailer at least partially
[+] spoiler
spoiled Antman & The Wasp
Did it?
Ok, technically no but it heavily suggested *something* happened to Scott, which it did.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2016 10:27 am
Rex wrote:Why the fuck is there a big budget dark fantasy version of Snow White? What is wrong with you people?
I think it's a prequel to the big budget dark fantasy version of Snow White.

Watched Ant-Man last night. Paul Rudd is just so damn enjoyable, but I think I could have enjoyed it even without him.
So damn enjoyable!

I watched all three 2018 Marvel movies in last 24 hours, and that (Antman and the Wasp) was the most fun. Saying that without meaning to disparage the other two.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The absolute most enjoyable!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Aqua man was...kind of a mess.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2017 1:02 pm Dunkirk is an amazing movie. Certainly worth seeing in IMAX.
Finally saw it - on a 60" screen it was unreal, I can only imagine how great it was on Imax.

Absolutely great movie.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I just watched 'Momentum Generation' on HBO. Its a doc about Kelly Slater, Rob Machado, and those pro surfers in the 90's. I'm pretty sure it was exec. produced by Bill Simmons (he mentioned it on his podcast a couple of times), and its really good.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sam Elliot is great and so is this title and the trailer ain't bad, either

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Holy shit that looks awesome!

And what a title.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That looks 20x better than I would have guessed from the title.

Also the title is awesome except it bugs me that they say "The Bigfoot" instead of just "Bigfoot."
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Ok, that did look pretty great.

Also, this just dropped today...:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That Fyre Festival documentary on Hulu was awesome.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 11:27 pm That Fyre Festival documentary on Hulu was awesome.
Weird that both Netflix and Hulu have their own competing documentaries on the Fyre festival.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The producer of the Netflix doc was one of the promoters of the festival and comes in for part of the blame in the Hulu doc. But I’m interested in seeing that one as well. I have plenty of schaudenfreude to go around.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

The Netflix Fyre Festival documentary was very good.
[+] spoiler
Knew the guy was a scammer, but my god - 6 years in jail seems about right.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I watched the Netflix one today and the Hulu one was better just because it was edited to be funnier but the Netflix one is good too.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sabo wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:42 am
Saw this on Christmas Day. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't great, either. Take Eastwood's character from Gran Torino, make him more frail and less racist and you have Earl Stone.

I usually fall asleep before SNL but for whatever reason still read recaps. Pete Davidson brought John Mulaney onto this past Saturday's Weekend Update to review The Mule and I thought they were joking that Eastwood directed himself in multiple threesomes in the movie. They weren't!
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Turns out Vice was excellent. Infuriating, but Adam McKay is really good at drilling it down. It was as good as The Big Short.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 am

I usually fall asleep before SNL but for whatever reason still read recaps. Pete Davidson brought John Mulaney onto this past Saturday's Weekend Update to review The Mule and I thought they were joking that Eastwood directed himself in multiple threesomes in the movie. They weren't!
By far that was the best thing on the episode.

Mulaney just makes me laugh, but those two have a great chemistry - maybe they should do a regular movie review feature?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:50 am
rass wrote: Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:33 am

By far that was the best thing on the episode.

Mulaney just makes me laugh, but those two have a great chemistry - maybe they should do a regular movie review feature?
And the Andy Garcia Lakers things was well used.