Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by The Sybian »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 am How anyone saw that trailer and said "sure I'll give that a shot" is beyond me. It's a good indicator when you feel like you wasted 1 minute and 45 seconds of your life on a trailer to not go ahead and waste an hour and 45 minutes on a movie.
I hadn't even heard of it. My daughter's exact words were, "if you are ever thinking about watching a movie called Tall Girl, don't. It's really stupid."
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:33 pm
BSF21 wrote: Tue Sep 17, 2019 8:47 am How anyone saw that trailer and said "sure I'll give that a shot" is beyond me. It's a good indicator when you feel like you wasted 1 minute and 45 seconds of your life on a trailer to not go ahead and waste an hour and 45 minutes on a movie.
I hadn't even heard of it. My daughter's exact words were, "if you are ever thinking about watching a movie called Tall Girl, don't. It's really stupid."
That’s the kind of value added you want from offspring.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Na na, why doesn't she get a job
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote: Wed Sep 18, 2019 7:04 am Na na, why doesn't she get a job
Yea, the kids aren't alright.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 pm Booksmart was terrific.
My daughter had hyped the hell out of this movie for months, so I figured no way it can be as good as she said.

I think it may have been better. Just fantastic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Sep 21, 2019 7:34 pm
tennbengal wrote: Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:13 pm Booksmart was terrific.
My daughter had hyped the hell out of this movie for months, so I figured no way it can be as good as she said.

I think it may have been better. Just fantastic.
Not only that - but even better on repeat viewings.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw Joker tonight. Not bad, not great. I'd watch it again, but not anytime soon.

It was disjointed - both intentionally and unintentionally. The intentional stuff played well because, duh, he's insane with an insane backstory. The unintentional made the movie drag at times.

It was intentionally a slow movie to get you into the grind of this crazy person and his sort of origin story.

Overall, crazy white men with guns are bad! Who'da thought!?!?

(Oh, and all the feel bads in the media this movie is getting is unwarranted. Gotta love how politics and feelings gotta make it seem like this movie is way worse than it is and "insensitive" to the times. People need to get a grip.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Todd Phillips needs to get a grip. I'm not seeing it just because he's a dick. It could be a masterpiece, but white males whining they can't be funny anymore is an automatic pretty much permanent nope for me*.

(going to see one of those whiners on Saturday because my wife loves him and he's hilarious)
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The New Yorker review of Joker threw up some huge red flags for me.

Especially the callous attempts to re-litigate the Central Park Five and Bernard Goetz in the context of a comic book villain origin story.

I'll see it when it's on HBO in a year or two probably but not gonna risk getting shot up by some incel so I can give Todd Phillips my $12 for that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So full disclosure:

No idea who Todd Phillips is. I have no idea about his politics or politicization throughout the movie.

I wanted to watch Joaquin Phoenix's take on a comic book character that has been played by Ceaser Romero, Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto, Heath Ledger, and voiced in the cartoons by Mark Hamill.

That's literally it. I did not go into watching this movie with relentlessly digging into its "OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT" buzz. I knew about it, but was just like whatever. I just wanted to watch a damn movie.

But if I have to watch, read, discuss, and live everything through this type of woke prism where every moment of every thing I will ever experience is brought upon by some other thing that has an effect or otherwise, I'm fucking out. It's exhausting and pointless.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Basically Todd Phillips is making "serious" movies now because he's upset that people don't think "paging Dr. Faggot" is funny any more.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:52 am So full disclosure:

No idea who Todd Phillips is. I have no idea about his politics or politicization throughout the movie.

I wanted to watch Joaquin Phoenix's take on a comic book character that has been played by Ceaser Romero, Jack Nicholson, Jared Leto, Heath Ledger, and voiced in the cartoons by Mark Hamill.

That's literally it. I did not go into watching this movie with relentlessly digging into its "OMG CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS SHIT" buzz. I knew about it, but was just like whatever. I just wanted to watch a damn movie.

But if I have to watch, read, discuss, and live everything through this type of woke prism where every moment of every thing I will ever experience is brought upon by some other thing that has an effect or otherwise, I'm fucking out. It's exhausting and pointless.
100%. I'm so sick of this culture war bullshit, and oblivious to all of it surrounding the movie. I saw the trailer, and it looks like it could be amazing. Joaquin Phoenix is such a fucking freak, and he could make this role into a legendary performance. Curious to see it for that reason alone, but I'll probably never see it, and highly doubt I'll see it in the theater.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:55 pm100%. I'm so sick of this culture war bullshit, and oblivious to all of it surrounding the movie. I saw the trailer, and it looks like it could be amazing. Joaquin Phoenix is such a fucking freak, and he could make this role into a legendary performance. Curious to see it for that reason alone, but I'll probably never see it, and highly doubt I'll see it in the theater.
There were legitimate creepy parts to the character in the movie. His emaciation. (Dude is fucking skinny enough to have a Sally Struthers commercial) His awkward demeanor. The lapses in and out of reality. His honest reaction to
[+] spoiler
killing people and feeling nothing
. It wasn't on the level of Nicholson and Ledger. But it was more realistic than Leto's.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 pm Basically Todd Phillips is making "serious" movies now because he's upset that people don't think "paging Dr. Faggot" is funny any more.
This is pretty close to the target. The only part that misses is he wants to make Scorsese movies.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 4:04 pm
brian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:23 pm Basically Todd Phillips is making "serious" movies now because he's upset that people don't think "paging Dr. Faggot" is funny any more.
This is pretty close to the target. The only part that misses is he wants to make Scorsese movies.
Yeah, Another legitimate criticism of Joker is Phillips is leaning more to "ripoff" of Taxi Driver/King Of Comedy than "homage". (Based on what I saw in the trailers and read in the reviews. I'll judge for myself eventually.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Right. I read his take and decided not to go out of my way to see his movie. SOOOOOOOOO EXHAUSTING YOU GUYS.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Heh.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm Heh.

That's an A+ Tweet. I've seen maybe four Marvel/DC movies in the last 20 years and just do not understand how they have come to completely dominate Hollywood.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think they’re crap but VERY well done crap. And that means something.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K : Prof. Elizabeth Warren :: Chris Evans : Joe K
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Joe K wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:37 pm
brian wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:37 pm Heh.

That's an A+ Tweet. I've seen maybe four Marvel/DC movies in the last 20 years and just do not understand how they have come to completely dominate Hollywood.
Then maybe watch more of them? It isn’t high cinema by any means but if you want to be entertained you can do worse. This coming from a guy who goes out of his ways to see a lot of the critically acclaimed stuff too. I’m no snob but can certainly appreciate good movie making and not all the super hero stuff is trash. I still thing endgame may get some best picture run.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

I’m not saying that every movie needs to be Citizen Kane or a 1970s movie with John Cazale or anything, it’s just that the superhero/archvillain construct doesn’t really do it for me. And I thought the Tweet was funny because the new Joker movie just looks like Taxi Driver for DC fans (or The Master with extra makeup).
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Joe K wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:25 pm I’m not saying that every movie needs to be Citizen Kane or a 1970s movie with John Cazale or anything, it’s just that the superhero/archvillain construct doesn’t really do it for me. And I thought the Tweet was funny because the new Joker movie just looks like Taxi Driver for DC fans (or The Master with extra makeup).
Co-sign
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watching a movie with the following cast and learned that is only has grossed $6.5 million in the United States and Canada, and $5.6 million in other territories, for a worldwide total of $12.2 million. In its opening weekend, the film grossed $2.4 million from 613 theaters. I want to know the backstory as the studio only spent $1-2 Mil on promotion.

Bill Murray
Adam Driver
Tilda Swinton
Chloë Sevigny
Steve Buscemi (wearing a Keep American White Again Hat)
Austin Butler
Danny Glover
Caleb Landry Jones
Rosie Perez
Iggy Pop
Sara Driver
RZA
Carol Kane
Selena Gomez
Tom Waits
Sturgill Simpson

Daniel Craig was supposed to be in it but had to back out..
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Because it’s a Jim Jarmusch movie.

Should check out Stranger Than Paradise or Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai. He’s an indie legend.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:38 pm Because it’s a Jim Jarmusch movie.

Should check out Stranger Than Paradise or Ghost Dog: Way Of The Samurai. He’s an indie legend.
I've seen Coffee and Cigarettes (the Bill Murray & Wu Tang scene drew me in). In this one Driver in a smart car is just funny
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Had to Google what movie that was. The cast looks incredible.

Aaaaand....It's a campy zombie movie. I'm good.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:06 pm Had to Google what movie that was. The cast looks incredible.

Aaaaand....It's a campy zombie movie. I'm good.
Bill Murray and Adam Driver playing off each other if great. Kid at the gas station is good too.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Cross-posted from the comedy thread, because this doc was that good:
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Saw the Joker last night. Wouldn't call it a masterpiece but def worth seeing it in the theater because it's visually stunning and Phoenix was phenomenal. His damn laugh was so contagious that I couldn't help cracking up every damn time, even during the tragic parts.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:26 pm Cross-posted from the comedy thread, because this doc was that good:
wlu_lax6 wrote: Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:17 pm Was thinking about some older comedians to show my son while we were folding laundry. Then I remembered the Amazing Jonathan. He was a staple of early comedy central. Just bad magic and great comedian. Found this new documentary on him. Very enjoyable.
So I didn't get a chance to watch this, but before any of you do I would VERY strongly recommend watching this documentary about him on Hulu.

It's one of the most interesting and crazy documentaries I've ever seen and I watch a LOT of documentaries.

I really don't want to give anything way but the NY Times review I've linked does a good job of not giving away any of the three or four huge twists throughout the doc (yes, the documentarian agreeing to do meth with the subject of the documentary is actually NOT one of the huge twists).

It sucks a little bit that I've actually met Johnathan a few times (it's a long story) and definitely knew of his career trajectory when he announced his illness, so I feel like as amazing as it was for me, it would be even more so for someone who was a fresh mark.

Strongly, strongly, strongly recommended.
Holy fuck, that was amazing. I had that tagged to watch on Hulu, most likely thinking it was the other documentary as I heard several comedians talking about it, and it kept popping up on my youtube feed. So glad I watched this one first...
[+] spoiler
Ordinarily, I can't believe I'd enjoy a documentary that turns its focus on the director, but damned, that was a rough ride for Ben. Watching him struggle with not wanting to admit Jonathan was fucking with him, then having a 4th documentarian come out was amazing. Not sure what Jonathan's play was here, was he purposely fucking with Ben for fun? Was he desperate for a documentary to cement his legacy, and had no loyalty? This seems to make sense and that he was duped into believing the other guy made Sugarman and Man on Wire. And Jonathan seemed so thrilled that Simon Chinn signed on to produce, I think that was what this was about.

Why would Simon Chinn agree to produce this movie? That was surprising.

Ben's friend was awesome. Everyone should have a friend willing to bluntly tell you when you are being deluded or falling for shit. Man, that guy fucking nailed it without mincing words, and really saved the whole endeavor. And Ben aged like a President through the filming, fuck, this almost destroyed him. And I felt so much for his father having to stand by a kid suffering like that. Then the scene where Ben (as a child) is interviewing his father about his mother dying, with the brother making faces in background... fuck, must have been so difficult for the father to try and support the son while wanting to tell them both to fuck off and give him space.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

[+] spoiler
Yeah, I was a little dubious even though I had heard good reviews because honestly I figured Johnathan would be a pretty lame doc subject (and honestly without all of the extra drama even with the fact of his impending death I still don't think it would have been terribly interesting.

It somehow managed to take a fairly blah premise and turn it almost into a documentary about documentaries, amongst many other things including the fleeting fame and drug that is celebrity.

I think this was just ultimately a dying D-list celebrity who saw a chance for his story to be told and tried to take as many chances at it as he could, not even maliciously but just because it's something that probably most of us would do in the same scenario.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Oct 09, 2019 5:22 pm
[+] spoiler
Yeah, I was a little dubious even though I had heard good reviews because honestly I figured Johnathan would be a pretty lame doc subject (and honestly without all of the extra drama even with the fact of his impending death I still don't think it would have been terribly interesting.

It somehow managed to take a fairly blah premise and turn it almost into a documentary about documentaries, amongst many other things including the fleeting fame and drug that is celebrity.

I think this was just ultimately a dying D-list celebrity who saw a chance for his story to be told and tried to take as many chances at it as he could, not even maliciously but just because it's something that probably most of us would do in the same scenario.
It's funny, I had no idea he'd been performing since, well the 90s. I remember he was huge in the late 80s, then just disappeared. I guess that's the downside of a Vegas residency, you fall off the map nationally.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

El Camino: A Breaking Bad Movie was ok. Some very, veeerrrryyy slow parts and I just did not care for Meth Damon's life in the story.

But they did go eat at Owl Cafe and that was cool. That place has the best milkshakes in the city. Peanut Butter and Oreo is my jam.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I loved it. Unreservedly. Mentioned that in the TV thread because that’s what Breaking Bad is.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I really enjoyed The Addams Family.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

'BookSmart' is good. Not just a female version of 'Superbad'.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(That's the screenwriter of Men In Black.)