Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by brian »

Here's a pretty good piece from Sepinwall explaining the impetus for the project.

I'm really kind of surprisingly excited about this. If Chase is all-in could be an incredible movie. The Sopranos never really explored much of the history of the Soprano (crime) family and adding the conflict between the mafia and African-Americans in Newark in that era could be <fire emoji>
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A_B wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:11 pm The hurt locker was awesome.
Don't say that to an Explosive Ordnance Disposal military member.

It's wrought with so many flaws on procedure and guidance that it's shunned completely. Everything done to disarm bombs is against tech orders.

However, the scene where he in the supermarket and just staring at the cereal in the aisle completely indifferent after returning home from war and jet taking the one in front of him like "whatever, fuck this shit" was one of the realest scenes in any movie I've ever watched. The "what the fuck is the point of all this" disgust without saying a single word hit me hard.
Last edited by Johnnie on Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Looks like the internet is already on the Ready Player One hate train. (I liked the book and I'll watch the movie, but yea. It's too fan fiction-y with a protagonist that's very "I know more than you and I'm a good guy" beta type. Which is apparently Ernest Kline in real life.)

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched The Godfather for the first time in years with my 19 year old daughter who is a movie fanatic.

She was amazed and calls it the best movie she's ever seen.

That's my girl!

And you know, it is absolute perfection. Coppola got a screenplay Oscar and later got two more for Part 2, but Bob Fosse beat him for Best Director for "Cabaret." And the fact that Pacino didn't get an Oscar in either movie is just nuts.

So many epic scenes in that movie...

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

I will always love Sterling Hayden for his iconic role in Strangelove

"Purity of Essence, Freddy!"
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Pruitt wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:21 pm Watched The Godfather for the first time in years with my 19 year old daughter who is a movie fanatic.

She was amazed and calls it the best movie she's ever seen.

That's my girl!
Watched it with my 16-year-old son earlier this year and he said the same thing. Like you, I was proud that my kid could see the quality in a movie that doesn't involve superheroes, spaceships, dragons, or comedy.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Avram wrote: Sun Mar 11, 2018 10:19 am I will always love Sterling Hayden for his iconic role in Strangelove

"Purity of Essence, Freddy!"
Yeah, baby.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Hurricane Heist is a movie about a heist during...a hurricane.

Made by the geniuses who brought you the Fast and Furious, so you know it's not going to tax any brain cells.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I thoroughly enjoyed that writeup. And can't wait to watch that movie when I'm traveling somewhere and have HBO in my hotel room.
Totally Kafkaesque
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Watched Kubo and the Two Strings and Coco this weekend. Enjoyed them both a great deal. Kubo is just a beautiful piece of animation.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 10:32 am Watched Kubo and the Two Strings and Coco this weekend. Enjoyed them both a great deal. Kubo is just a beautiful piece of animation.
It really is beautiful.

Dying to see Coco.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Mar 12, 2018 11:31 amDying to see Coco.
ha!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Finally saw Black Panther. Really enjoyed the characters and the acting was superb, I think I get that it was intended as allegory, and the costumes and CGI were beautiful.

BUT....
[+] spoiler
Man it seemed derivative of LOTR/Hobbit on a lot of stuff (Serkis and Freeman aside, even). Sure, a lot of fantasy tropes come from LOTR so I can give them a pass...but I'm speaking to certain shots, battle scenes, etc. Maybe the Jackson team just revolutionized that to where we are now in that a battle on a field is gonna look like Jackson's work, and I don't know the teams that worked on this, but it was either homage (he basically took down a Rhino shot for shot like Legolas did and Olyphant down to sliding off the horn/trunk!) or stylistic plagiarism (even if slight).

I know I'm nit picking, because I really did think it was great and likely the best standalone movie (I love that they resisted forcing other MCU into thiss) of all the Marvel movies.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Wow, that (what you referenced in the spoiler tags) didn't click with me at all.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:07 am Wow, that (what you referenced in the spoiler tags) didn't click with me at all.
[+] spoiler
There's one (design of) ring that binds them. They walk out of the mountain just like frodo and sam. King falls into the river, only to be found NOT to be dead. People getting brought back to life by herbs. Reluctant king of a supposedly friendly faction initially saying he won't help, but then he does.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Aren’t those more general story tropes and elements than a straight lifting?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I didn't pick up any of that stuff. Still not sure I think anything's there, but it is interesting.

Does anyone know how much of the story in the movie Black Panther came from Ta-Nehisi Coates's (yeah, I had to look that up) run of Black Panther comics?
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:43 am Aren’t those more general story tropes and elements than a straight lifting?
I mentioned that above, yes. But then it becomes lazy and loses credit on that.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 11:44 am I didn't pick up any of that stuff. Still not sure I think anything's there, but it is interesting.

Does anyone know how much of the story in the movie Black Panther came from Ta-Nehisi Coates's (yeah, I had to look that up) run of Black Panther comics?
I probably have seen those movies more than any other movies ever, so I would likely be able to point out similarities that don't resonate with others for sure. I think it became a snowball effect...once I noticed one I started noticing more.

(And it would have been awesome if Serkis had mentioned their "precious" vibranium.)

ETA: Wikipedia says he was inspired by Coates' work from a stylistic standpoint but this one was more on Chrisopher Priest's story arcs.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

When you list it out, I guess. I watched those way too many times and like I said I didn't pick up on it at all.

If I had an issue with the movie it was
[+] spoiler
the advanced society going with a binding trial by combat as the method of determining their leader, but I guess knowing the BP mantle comes with the crown, it makes a little bit of sense
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I got a definite LOTR vibe ...
[+] spoiler
mostly a Battle of the Pellenor Fields vibe during the big battle, especially when the bad guys unveiled their supercreatures.
And when
[+] spoiler
the clan came out of the mountains to join the battle, that felt like either Gandalf bringing in the troops in the Battle of Helm's Deep or the Army of the Dead joining the fight at Pellenor.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I've also seen those movies a jillion times, but it never occurred to me. Even now, I think it's more that those are common tropes of the genre. GOT has done a lot of the same.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

TheHumanComa
Brandt

Post by TheHumanComa »

Brigsby Bear is an awesomely weird movie. Totally worth watching.

and all of Taika Waititi's work before Thor: ragnarok is also worth checking out.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TheHumanComa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 am Brigsby Bear is an awesomely weird movie. Totally worth watching.

and all of Taika Waititi's work before Thor: ragnarok is also worth checking out.
What We Do In The Shadows is fantastic, and Hunt For The Wilderpeople is one of the best movies I have seen in years.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I finally saw WWDIS a couple of weeks ago. It was great.

And Pruitt (or anyone else), if you like Waititi's sense of humor I highly recommend last year's Thor movie. It's relatively self-contained (meaning you if you haven't seen every Marvel movie prior you'll be fine) and Hemsworth and Ruffalo are game for the absurdity of the humor. Add in Goldblum being Goldblum, and Blanchett vamping it up as the villain, and it was a lot of fun.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 am I finally saw WWDIS a couple of weeks ago. It was great.

And Pruitt (or anyone else), if you like Waititi's sense of humor I highly recommend last year's Thor movie. It's relatively self-contained (meaning you if you haven't seen every Marvel movie prior you'll be fine) and Hemsworth and Ruffalo are game for the absurdity of the humor. Add in Goldblum being Goldblum, and Blanchett vamping it up as the villain, and it was a lot of fun.
Will do - it's on the DVR. I didn't know that he'd directed it.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

And for those of you who have seen every Marvel movie....

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Did something I never do...bought my ticket for opening day this morning. Even going to see it in IMAX which I've never done either.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I know there's some sort of anti-Shape of water sentiment here but I'm telling you, don't sleep on Shape of Water. Just a beautifully-filmed flick and that is one charming mother fucking fish.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

She has a kid?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am I know there's some sort of anti-Shape of water sentiment here but I'm telling you, don't sleep on Shape of Water. Just a beautifully-filmed flick and that is one charming mother fucking fish.
Nope. Not the least of which is because I think del Toro is probably the most overrated director in history.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:18 am
Jerloma wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:16 am I know there's some sort of anti-Shape of water sentiment here but I'm telling you, don't sleep on Shape of Water. Just a beautifully-filmed flick and that is one charming mother fucking fish.
Nope. Not the least of which is because I think del Toro is probably the most overrated director in history.
I may watch it this weekend. Disagree on the del Toro opinion.

I liked his "Hellboy," and "Pan's Labyrinth" is a masterpiece.

And he lives in Toronto now, so there's that too.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Well, I was on record as liking the fish fucking movie.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:27 pm Well, I was on record as liking the fish fucking movie.
I watched Grinding Nemo on my last flight. Wasn't bad. Wasn't as good as Get Out.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 6:35 am I finally saw WWDIS a couple of weeks ago. It was great.

It was a lot of fun.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

TheHumanComa wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 12:22 am Brigsby Bear is an awesomely weird movie. Totally worth watching.
I agree. Loved it. Very rare to see a completely original idea like that. Not perfect (of course), but strange and wonderful.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Since I got this moviepass thing Ive been seeing a ton of shit. Watched Red Sparrow last night. Very Russian, surprisingly violent, filled with sex and graphic depictions of rape, just a headsup in case any of you have girlfriends who cant see that sort of thing. 7 of 10. Not the most gentle handling of a plot ever to be certain and parts of it dragged and parts were ultra predictable but overall worth a watch. By no means a must see in theatres unless you can see everything free because moviepass
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I am dying to see this one, but have the same fear as your daughter.
[+] spoiler
https://www.doesthedogdie.com/items/5732