Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by rass »

Just realized that between this and Winterfell, this could a rough weekend for beloved on screen characters we’ve spent the better part of a decade with...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

What I would most hope is if Carol Danvers, Black Panther, Valkyrie, and Kamla Khan are the ones who take down Thanos.

Because remember how much those shitbag cons were up in arms when the latest Star Wars has the temerity of having strong female characters? Imagine those fucking snowflakes heads exploding if the MCU came down to a woman, a black guy, an LGBT woman, and an Indian Muslim woman. Those would be tasty fucking tears.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I'm sticking with my long ago prediction that Captain America wields Thor's hammer (OK, axe now, but when I made the prediction he didn't have an axe) to take him out (probably aiming at the head).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:37 am Endgame at 97% fresh. So, that's pretty good.

I am seeing it tomorrow night at 6:00 pm with Q, so should be able to get to it spoiler free.

I am excited for it.
Friday 3pm for me. I cannot wait.

I plan on not drinking anything during the day so I can avoid having to go to the bathroom. If anyone has no such luck with that there are these articles about when to go...they say no spoilers but click at your own risk:

https://news.abs-cbn.com/entertainment/ ... lers-guide
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm
tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 10:37 am Endgame at 97% fresh. So, that's pretty good.

I am seeing it tomorrow night at 6:00 pm with Q, so should be able to get to it spoiler free.

I am excited for it.

I plan on not drinking anything during the day so I can avoid having to go to the bathroom. If anyone has no such luck with that there are these articles about when to go...they say no spoilers but click at your own risk:

I find the RunPee app to be very good for this problem.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

At first I was annoyed with all the pop culture stuff dominating headlines that is firmly in my blind spot, but now I'm kinda jealous. How fast can I binge GoT and all the Avengers movies?
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

GOT is about 65-70 hours. Avengers/MCU probably 45 or so? Just the Avengers you could watch in eight hours I suppose.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK, see y'all next week.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 2:17 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:54 pm

I am excited for it.

I find the RunPee app to be very good for this problem.
I had no idea there was such a thing. Downloading now.
What am I, 12?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

It's great.

-small bladder haver
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Decided work could suck it today and played hooky and went to watch Apollo 11 and it was incredible. Probably too late at this point, but if you can catch it on the big screen, do it. Pretty gobsmacking all of the new footage they have.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:17 am Just realized that between this and Winterfell, this could a rough weekend for beloved on screen characters we’ve spent the better part of a decade with...
Yes, this will be a week full of k(K)nights facing untimely and unfair deaths.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm Decided work could suck it today and played hooky and went to watch Apollo 11 and it was incredible. Probably too late at this point, but if you can catch it on the big screen, do it. Pretty gobsmacking all of the new footage they have.
CNN just announced it will be airing this on June 23 (they were a co-producer). Don't miss it. Watch on the biggest TV possible and turn up the sound.

tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

At the theater in a seat. So pumped.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So fucking good. They stuck the landing.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Perfect.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 7:53 pm So fucking good. They stuck the landing.
Orgy?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Operation No Fluids has begun.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:11 pm
brian wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:45 pm Decided work could suck it today and played hooky and went to watch Apollo 11 and it was incredible. Probably too late at this point, but if you can catch it on the big screen, do it. Pretty gobsmacking all of the new footage they have.
CNN just announced it will be airing this on June 23 (they were a co-producer). Don't miss it. Watch on the biggest TV possible and turn up the sound.

I'm going to see it Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to it.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Guys. You guys. Damn.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
im still processing. But holy cow what an installment. The last 90 minutes were as fulfilling and satisfying a movie experience as I can ever remember. While I will still hold retirnnof the king in great esteem due to my reverence for the source material, this was an unbelievably astounding finale to a great stretch of movies.

The best part? It really was an Avengers movie. They ran the risk of having too many characters muddle it up but they nailed it. It was as perfect an ending as could be expected.and they pulled things off I think even the most ardent of fanpeeple didn’t expect.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

[+] spoiler
Agree with AB, including the LOTR point.

I do have some reservations when stories that aren’t explicitly time travel based introduce the concept. Can open, worms everywhere.

Can’t wait for my wife and kids to see fat Thor.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
thought about it some more after texting with benga last night. I think it’s going to win best picture.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Spoilers without context, huh? I assume these are about Endgame?
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm Spoilers without context, huh? I assume these are about Endgame?
Probably not Apollo 11.
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Some thoughts on Endgame...
[+] spoiler
* Loved Thor Lebowski.
* I thought there would be more major character death.
* The only thing that annoyed me for a while, was Pepper Potts' appearance in the big battle. But when I realized they had to have a reason for her to be there at the end, I decided I was ok with it.
* Capt America was never my favorite character in the MCU, but really liked how they wrapped his story.
* All in all a really satisfying ending to the story.
* The lack of a scene at the end of the credits was almost a gut punch (see below). I thought they would have a Stan Lee outtake or something at least.
And at a risk of getting sappy over a bunch of comic book movies... My boys are 7 and 10. They have grown up with the MCU and the Avengers. My youngest, especially, would run around the house from the age of 2 and pretend to be Iron Man, making noises as he shot with his hands. We've watched these movies so many times as a family movie night, or just because they happened to be on somewhere on a weekend afternoon. We've always had something to look forward to in the next movie. The next character oriented movie (Dr Strange, Black Panther, etc) or something teased in the closing credits. And this chapter is closed now. And as the kids are getting a little older and their tastes are changing, it's kind of reflected by this. Heck, just last week my youngest declared himself too old for his superhero bed sheets.

I know there are going to be more Marvel movies, and in 10 years they are probably going to do something dumb and do a reboot on the whole thing. But it won't be the same.

As much as I enjoyed Endgame, there was a little part of me that was sad.
[+] spoiler
But hey, at least not as sad as the lady behind us yesterday bawling her eyes out when Tony Stark died.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

brian wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:02 pm
Shirley wrote: Sun Apr 28, 2019 5:00 pm Spoilers without context, huh? I assume these are about Endgame?
Probably not Apollo 11.
[+] spoiler
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

re: Endgame
[+] spoiler
I agree the last 90 minutes were as epic as anything I've seen (or even better). I did have a couple of minor quibbles:
I'm not sure how I feel about Cap's ending. I agree the man deserves a break/happy ending...but the over-arching theme of Endgame seemed to be about people "becoming who they are; not who they are supposed to be" like Thor's Mom said. It's hard to imagine Captain America as a guy who really just wants to get his girl. Plus, I'm not sure if his ending even fits with the time travel rules setup by the movie...I'm still trying to figure that out...if anyone has any thoughts on that I'd love to hear it.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Sam Wilson being the new Captain America...I thought it should have been Bucky. That seemed to be teased during the second Captain America movie when Bucky temporarily holds the shield. I don't think Falcon is a strong enough character to take on the role (even though I know he did so in the comics).

Also, the Widow ending was a shocker...did not see that coming one bit since I've felt she's been the moral center and behind the scenes de-facto leader of the Avengers the entire series, which especially shows at the beginning of the five year time jump.

I plan on seeing it again in the next couple days to see if anything else sticks.
What am I, 12?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

GoodKarma wrote: Mon Apr 29, 2019 10:54 am re: Endgame
[+] spoiler
It's hard to imagine Captain America as a guy who really just wants to get his girl. Plus, I'm not sure if his ending even fits with the time travel rules setup by the movie...I'm still trying to figure that out...if anyone has any thoughts on that I'd love to hear it.
[+] spoiler
I agree on the Cap issue above. Not sure how fundamentally changing Peggy's life doesn't fundamentally alter SHIELD. And though the good guys weren't the ones who broke the rule, I think there is a giant Thanos (and Gamora, and the ship and everyone/thing else on the ship) sized hole, too?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Endgame
[+] spoiler
was ok. I have thoughts too long to type on a tablet.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I finally watched for the first time The Verdict last night, a hole in my courtroom drama movie experience. Very good acting all around, especially Paul Newman and James Mason, and definitely worth a watch. Couple of thoughts:

1. Charlotte Rampling was a looker back in the day. (I never saw The Night Porter, so I can't speak her art-house career).

2. If you keep your eyes peeled, a very young Bruce Willis circa 1982 is in the audience during Paul Newman's character's closing argument. Tobin Bell (Jigsaw) is seated to his left.

3. If you or your kids are thinking of becoming lawyers, know that there are quite a few things that would get your ass disbarred that they did in that movie. Including not communicating offers to your client, or directly contacting the opposing party when you are aware they are represented by counsel, and... trying to remember... oh yeah, planting a mole in your adversary's office.

It's funny that through all these years of depicting attorneys in media, the two most accurate fictional representations in terms of the actual law are My Cousin Vinny and the second verse of 99 Problems.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

govmentchedda wrote: Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:19 pm It's great.

-small bladder haver
I had two large beers - One right before and then grabbed one when they were doing all the "let's justify this bullshit with a bunch of science-y talk and faux lab work" scenes. It was PERFECT!

The time that I had read to go was not a very good option, IMO, unless you are one of the hipsters at there that "doesn't care about X character." Scene was pretty emotional, but I like that character a lot, so...
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Sabo wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 12:50 pm
brian wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2019 1:11 pm

I'm going to see it Sunday afternoon. Really looking forward to it.
Thanks for highlighting this, guys. I'm gonna put a calendar reminder down for it to watch/record.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
* - Teasing out my vague pee-oriented post... I'm a Paul Rudd mark, so I've loved the two Ant Man movies, and if you were into that quantum stuff, the time travel angle doesn't really seem far-fetched. We've also talked on this board about how, say, zombies become such an overwhelming plot device that we move past being freaked out by them, to the point now where we're almost immediately classifying them (fast, slow, Z, etc.) We've had so many "dimensional" shows and movies now that I just wasn't bothered by a lot of the mind-bending stuff trotted out in the MCU over the years.

* - I legit couldn't stop giggling at Lebowski Thor. To the point that I was distracted and look forward to re-watching it. You knew he and Chris Pratt are going to be a problem on the set. If you haven't watched Pratt's blooper reel on YouTube... Anyways, that seemed like a hard set no Guardians 3, no?

* - Obvious Point Alert: For anyone that was a Leftovers fan, I really appreciated how dark they made Thanos' act, in terms of realism. That almost all of them were broken in some fundamental way, to the point that Bruce Banner created a new version of himself. That character, by the way, was very funny and it was cool how he and Thor flipped roles here.

* - Who the fuck was that teenage kid at the funeral?? My BiL didn't even know what I was talking about when we debriefed after. I guess I could Google it, just found it weird that I couldn't come up with any plausible notion.

* - Kind of along those lines, they seemed pretty intent on pushing a succession line with his daughter, huh? "You like sneaking into daddy's garage?"

* - They also seemed pretty intent on passing on the CoA mantle to Falcon. I liked that scene, and Bucky seemed to approve, which was cool.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
The kid is the one from Iron Man 3 that tony hid in his barn.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
OOOHH. Shit. I probably could've figured that out if I'd put my mind to it. Thanks AB!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:22 pm
[+] spoiler
OOOHH. Shit. I probably could've figured that out if I'd put my mind to it. Thanks AB!
[+] spoiler
I didn't catch it, but my daughter did. Luckily the initials are the same so I will pass along.[
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This thread is hysterical!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just saw Endgame. I was able to avoid legit spoilers about the movie despite the fact that...
[+] spoiler
On 3 separate occasions I was told that Thanos killed Tony Stark.

Once in the comments on Instagram for an NBA highlight I was watching. The second was during Charlemagne Tha God's Donkey if the Day rant against Alabama. And third was this morning after watching the latest Bill Maher. I'm quite happy that it wasn't true.

Kinda silly that Captain Marvel can cut through that crazy flying fortress thing Thanos had shoot at everyone only to get smacked by Thanks and seemingly disappear during the fight.

The Audi product placement was slick both times, but not overbearing.

Super cool scene when all the women assembled during the fight. That so damn awesome to watch.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.