Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Giff
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by Giff »

Yeah now that you mention it, it was monthly. I was confusing getting excited about the one that came on Sundays in the Houston Chronicle.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

man i used to collect those as a little kid :D

i was legit pissed at my parents when i came home from college once and they were all excited that they'd cleaned out the basement including "...all that useless stuff like the old HBO guides" NOOOOO
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

MaxWebster wrote: Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:12 pm man i used to collect those as a little kid :D

i was legit pissed at my parents when i came home from college once and they were all excited that they'd cleaned out the basement including "...all that useless stuff like the old HBO guides" NOOOOO
Thank God for the internet, so now you can find out what was on HBO on October 3, 1991 at 7:00pm
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Superintelligence with Melissa McCarthy is absolutely terrible.

Not quite bad enough to be enjoyable, just bad.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I wouldn't be a fan if I held stock in a theatre company, but as a consumer, I like it a lot.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

My issue is that I have an HBO subscription, but through Amazon Prime. I'm having a helluva time figuring out how to access Max and Roku is still negotiating to get as an app on that platform.

I think I can figure it out on a Firestick, but couldn't figure out the app last night.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

So it looks like the Sundance Film Festival will be online this year.

Which sucks for me, but it's great for folks who may be interested but who can't or don't want to travel to Utah in January.

Anyway, if you are interested, here's a link to their website.

https://www.sundance.org/festivals/sund ... ival/about
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 2:49 pm My issue is that I have an HBO subscription, but through Amazon Prime. I'm having a helluva time figuring out how to access Max and Roku is still negotiating to get as an app on that platform.

I think I can figure it out on a Firestick, but couldn't figure out the app last night.
Eureka!! Figured it out on the PS4!

Psyched, as I am looking forward to watching the adorable Kaley Cuoco in Flight Attendant.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 13, 2020 7:07 am Watched Old Guard on Netflix instead. Gives the conceit away a bit early (I didn't know it was a comic book series wither so came in blind), but surprisingly well done action film.
Finally watched this and also enjoyed it. Charlize was great, in fact the entire main cast was good. Somehow couldn’t place the actor who played the villain until I looked it up afterwards.

No sequel announced yet but obviously setup for one.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Mank...

Meh.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched most of the Bee Gees documentary on HBO last night (made it to the part about the Disco Demolition night)...and its really good.

Man...Barry Gibb had some righteous hair back in the 70's. And I knew this before from living in Chicago for a while, but Steve Dahl is a dick.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 12:45 pm We watched most of the Bee Gees documentary on HBO last night (made it to the part about the Disco Demolition night)...and its really good.

Man...Barry Gibb had some righteous hair back in the 70's. And I knew this before from living in Chicago for a while, but Steve Dahl is a dick.
I watched that too, and I have never willingly listened to the Bee gees. Really well done documentary.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I never expected this pandemic would end up with me liking Tom Cruise quite a bit more, but here we are.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 pm I never expected this pandemic would end up with me liking Tom Cruise quite a bit more, but here we are.
Watched all of the MI movies with the kids the past month or two and there's not a better current (ever?) big-budget Hollywood action series and personal life oddities aside he is a very effective actor.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

brian wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:11 pm I never expected this pandemic would end up with me liking Tom Cruise quite a bit more, but here we are.
Yeah, I think he was totally in the right (granted, I don't really know the deets), but I'm still not a fan of the rich boss yelling at his vastly lower-paid employees like that.
Totally Kafkaesque
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:57 pm
Yeah, I think he was totally in the right (granted, I don't really know the deets), but I'm still not a fan of the rich boss yelling at his vastly lower-paid employees like that.
Yeah, I'm not sure if that was a one-off for him or if that's the way he always treats people, which if the latter is not good, but he's not just a highly-paid actor he's the production company making the movie and liable for multi-million dollar lawsuits if the worst happens and that's not even to mention the bad press that would result from "Tom Cruise movie shutdown because of COVID outbreak" and then the over-arching effect that would have on the rest of the movie industry. If you don't think some of those guys aren't carrying the weight of the world on their shoulders from movie theaters being shut down for what will be well over a year, you heard it on that audio.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I get it. And like I said, he's right. But I can't imagine yelling at my employees like that (even if they are technically just contractors).
Totally Kafkaesque
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 5:05 pm I get it. And like I said, he's right. But I can't imagine yelling at my employees like that (even if they are technically just contractors).
He actually didn't swear very much compared to some people, particularly the off-camera types. I've seen a walkie-talkie thrown into a wall (it got stuck).

Way better usage of the star actor rant than Christian Bale from several years ago.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don’t know if this is a Mandela Effect thing but I could have sworn James Earl Jones died years ago but I guess not.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote: Sat Aug 01, 2020 9:13 pm We watched Palm Springs tonight. Fun flick.
Yes it is.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Tom Cruise is a Scientologist psychopath. The fact that so many people ignore this issue is bizarre to me.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rewatched Love Story with the woman. It’s her favorite. It’s a gut punch but I like it.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Just watched Greyhound. I liked it a lot. I wish more effort was given to recreating stories based on real events. It doesn’t need to be 3 hours. It doesn’t need a half dozen Oscar-worthy scenes. Just tell a 90 minute story that never lets up.
Noli Timere Messorem
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I liked greyhound. It was fun. I could have gone for a bit more exposition but I do agree movies tend towards bloat.

Eta: this may be in conflict with my initial views, rass. Don’t out me.
EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

But that’s just it: the movie is about the captain’s journey, period.
Noli Timere Messorem
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just watched Tenet...my brain hurts.

I really like John David Washington. Liked him in Ballers. Liked him in Black Klansman, liked him in this.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

They played Wonder Woman 1984 at the base theater yesterday. If was ok for being free.

But let me tell you, the theme of 'men are bad' gets very annoying, very fast. Damn near every single guy except Chris Pine was a comically over the top sleaze bag. (And Pine was only redeeming because he was able to fly ((you know, a pilot)) in the eyes of Diana. Up to the point of him taking flight, he was a doofus who couldn't dress correctly.)

I get our current cultural moment and all, but jeez.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m ok with it.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Watched Pixar’s Soul today. Good message. Meh movie.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I found Wonder Woman to be boring -- just a few good action scenes. The premise that Smithsonian nerds would ignore Kristen Wiig because she wore glasses and no makeup was the funniest part of the movie.

Also watched the The Trial of the Chicago 7, which I thought was very good. Borat with a Boston accent was entertaining, and a terrible, terrible judge who I thought they were over doing it with until I read about him was good to piss me off and have no hope for humanity.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Finally watched 1917 and I am in awe and almost at a loss for words.

One of the greatest movies I have ever seen.

(Not your traditional holiday film though)
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

WW is one of the worst movies I’ve ever seen. Priced correctly.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Jaw droppingly bad.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I've seen much worse. Bottom 1/4 of superhero movies.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I need to see it now because I’m curious what is so bad about a superhero movie according to people who like superhero movies.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Probably the same stuff that “people who like comedies” would say about a ridiculously bad comedy movie?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

A few non plot reasons:

For an 80s movie, there's no 80s music.

It feels like a movie set in 2020 that's throwing an 80s theme party. For comparison, watch an episode of Stranger Things afterward. You'll get what I mean. There's no authenticity at all.

Her CGI running looks ridiculous.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

[+] spoiler
I'm a huge Kristen Wiig mark. I liked most of what she did in this movie, but... When she tried to turn villain, it just didn't really hit. And it was a... bold decision for them to go all Cats on the apex predator thing. I'm aware this is a character in the DC comic universe, but it just felt weird to me.

I actually enjoyed the overall experience, given that it was just something I could turn on and enjoy with the family. If that had been an in-theater deal, I would've been pissed.[/quote]
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Put me in the "it was fine I guess" camp. Nothing special, but I don't think the Wiig character ever really worked as a baddie.