Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by wlu_lax6 »

1- Cool idea
2- Christine Taylor's appearance is kind of a shocker (guess this was taped a bit ago)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4iw1jTY-X3A
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:I watched No Country for Old Men last night for the first time in years (it's on Amazon Prime right now). What a fucking masterpiece. Seriously, every bit of that movie approaches perfection. Javier Bardem rightly got a lot of acclaim for his performance, but for me, Tommy Lee Jones was the best part of that movie. Best works he's ever done.
P

Just rewatched it myself. Agree except to say bardem is unreal. But jones may still have him beat.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring.

Not sure there was ever any risk in him pulling a Robert DeNiro and sullying his legacy by doing shitty comedies for 8 figure paydays, but still seems a little premature. Of course, nothing to stop him from changing his mind.

In any event, arguably the greatest actor of all-time hanging it up deserves a mention.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:Daniel Day-Lewis is retiring.

Not sure there was ever any risk in him pulling a Robert DeNiro and sullying his legacy by doing shitty comedies for 8 figure paydays, but still seems a little premature. Of course, nothing to stop him from changing his mind.

In any event, arguably the greatest actor of all-time hanging it up deserves a mention.
It's funny that when you put it in those terms, I think of boxers. Rocky Marciano who quit at the top, undefeated, and Ali who had the long slow decline and even lost to Trevor Berbick.

I guess that would be like DeNiro in "Bad Grandpa"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He has one last movie coming out in December directed by P.T. Anderson and assuming this isn't some kind of weird publicity stunt or the movie somehow inexplicably sucks (and neither Anderson nor Day-Lewis has made a bad movie), at least one Best Actor nomination is already taken. No one has more than his three Best Actor wins and it's possible he goes out with four.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

rass wrote:Took the kids to see Moana yesterday (pretty good, I liked it better that Sing!, which quite frankly could have used more singing) and not only is The Rock a passable singer, they gave him an insanely catchy song. You're welcome!
Saw Moana last night - really good movie. Pixar's animation is incredible. What a beautiful movie.

And I woke up with "You're Welcome" stuck in my head.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pruitt wrote:
rass wrote:Took the kids to see Moana yesterday (pretty good, I liked it better that Sing!, which quite frankly could have used more singing) and not only is The Rock a passable singer, they gave him an insanely catchy song. You're welcome!
Saw Moana last night - really good movie. Pixar's animation is incredible. What a beautiful movie.

I've seen that in pieces here and there. Really like "Shiny", but mostly because it's Jemaine Clement.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Maybe it's because I work in animation and kids shows, but given a choice, I'll pick a well made Pixar/Disney/Dreamworks film over a serious drama.

We could have watched "Moonlight" or "La La Land" last night, but I have no interest in either.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Moonlight was fantastic, FWIW. First non-Pixar movie that drew tears in me for several years.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Pruitt wrote:

It's been stuck in my head for about five months now. But I still love it.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

In a minute, TCM is screening the 1975 movie Rollerball featuring James Caan. It's set in the future - the year 2018, when, according to the film, there will be (among other things) no war and no poverty!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:In a minute, TCM is screening the 1975 movie Rollerball featuring James Caan. It's set in the future - the year 2018, when, according to the film, there will be (among other things) no war and no poverty!
LOVED that movie as a kid. Probably seen it 6 times.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Jonathan…Jonathan…Jonathan
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Big Sick was outstanding.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

tennbengal wrote:The Big Sick was outstanding.
Really excited to see that (I've been a big fan of Kumail for a long time, and have heard him and Emily tell the story on a number of podcasts), Baby Driver, and Dunkirk.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I laughed a lot at Rough Night.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Baby Driver was supposed to be outstanding, but I haven't seen a movie at an actual movie theater in about a year.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:
You're like paper. You know, you're trash.
It doesn't sound so bad in Spanish.
Real life places that look like Wes Anderson sets.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just bought the Starsky & Hutch DVD (for only $5) mostly just because I want to see the scene where Ben Stiller repeatedly says "Do it!"

ETA:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ra70O9nps6E
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:Baby Driver was supposed to be outstanding, but I haven't seen a movie at an actual movie theater in about a year.

Saw a matinee today with my daughter. Well-made car-chase action film with a nice romantic subplot. But what surprised me was the soundtrack (which was pretty integral to the plot). It included some great old chestnuts
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote:Everybody Wants Some!! is damn good.

That one got the nostalgia factory working a double shift for me. I started university 2 years after the guys in the movie.

Completely inconsequential and a bit too cutesy in some spots, but worth a watch.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Dunkirk was phenomenal. One of the first movies in a while I want to see again at the theatre.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote:Dunkirk was phenomenal. One of the first movies in a while I want to see again at the theatre.

Agreed. I don't see anything in the theaters these days, but I saw Dunkirk twice. So good.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Everyone knows Rushmore had a kick-ass soundtrack, but what this re-cut version of some of the movie's musical cues presupposes is -- what if it didn't? </Eli Cash>

Seriously, though it's worth checking out if nothing else for the sheer audacity.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote:Everyone knows Rushmore had a kick-ass soundtrack, but what this re-cut version of some of the movie's musical cues presupposes is -- what if it didn't? </Eli Cash>

Seriously, though it's worth checking out if nothing else for the sheer audacity.

Funny coincidence - my daughter saw the Rushmore dvd at the library yesterday and we watched it just last night! Of course my wife and I had seen it years ago, but it was my daughter's first time and she liked it.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Dunkirk is an amazing movie. Certainly worth seeing in IMAX.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I swear, parts of that article read like they were cut and pasted out of Wikipedia.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Saw a similar headline from The Onion.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sold.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Every Wes Anderson movie manages to be more Wes Anderson-y than the last.

Which is not necessarily bad.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I feel like I'd cry all the way through that goddamn film. Let me know if it's any good.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

BSF21 wrote:I feel like I'd cry all the way through that goddamn film. Let me know if it's any good.

I just watched the trailer and had to buck myself up because of what I think might happen in the movie.

Dogs...
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

The Big Sick was really good.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

My wife's been out of town for over a week, and my daughter and I have been bonding every night over movies we rented at the library: Deadpool, Dogma, The Commitments, Good Will Hunting, Forgetting Sarah Marshall. (She's already seen most of the Swamp all-time favorites.)

When she was a bit younger, it would have been weird and awkward watching some of these with her, but now she's reached a level of maturity and sophistication much greater than I was at her age, and we can watch and discuss media that is targeted at adults. It's nice.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Giff wrote:The Big Sick was really good.

Absolutely. Easily on my list of best movies of the year.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

tennbengal wrote:

I really liked this too. However, it lacked some of the crispness that I think you would have gotten from a non-Amazon/indie production. I think they would have tightened up the story in some places and gone deeper in others (primarily her parents). That being said, the dialog was really strong and as a result probably would have been screwed up with big studio intervention.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Started my fall descent into horror with The Witch. Thoroughly enjoyable take on the genre. Demands a re-watch next year.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:
tennbengal wrote:

I really liked this too. However, it lacked some of the crispness that I think you would have gotten from a non-Amazon/indie production. I think they would have tightened up the story in some places and gone deeper in others (primarily her parents). That being said, the dialog was really strong and as a result probably would have been screwed up with big studio intervention.

I'm so bummed we didn't see that at Sundance this year. We decided it might be too grim, as Sundance movies tend to be, and we really didn't want that.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.