Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am First movie Tom Cruise has been in where he looks his actual age?
Have to add a post-2005 to that or something.

But to that point, Ed Harris must have lived a hard 10 years since he was Cruise's age.
Valid point on Cruise.

I just want to see Kilmer.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Can't get over how much Teller looks like Goose in that scene. Also, cannot fucking wait to see this movie.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:09 am
rass wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:01 am
DSafetyGuy wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:58 am First movie Tom Cruise has been in where he looks his actual age?
Have to add a post-2005 to that or something.

But to that point, Ed Harris must have lived a hard 10 years since he was Cruise's age.
Valid point on Cruise.

I just want to see Kilmer.
I don't think his current dome would fit in a helmet.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Toy Story 4 was exceeding well done but ultimately just as unnecessary as the live action remakes of Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

So looks like the new trailer for Island of Dr. Mor—sorry, Cats—isn't going over well with audiences.

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I get that the nature of the beast (the internet) means that something like that Cats trailer is going to get mercilessly piled on, but if you're going to make a fucking Cats movie shouldn't you swing for the fucking fences and be as big and weird as possible?
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 20, 2019 5:58 pm Toy Story 4 was exceeding well done but ultimately just as unnecessary as the live action remakes of Dumbo, Aladdin and The Lion King.
Agreed, but I still enjoyed the movie and got a few laughs out of it.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Watched Spiderman on Saturday. Not a bad superhero flick. Glad my son and I made my wife sit through the full
Over several days watched Under the Silver Lake. Interesting idea but they did not pull it together. Actually ruined a really good modern Noir concept.
Also watched original Terminator with my son. It has been a very long time since I saw that movie. The special effects were just bad and it really is just a old school horror movie.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 am I get that the nature of the beast (the internet) means that something like that Cats trailer is going to get mercilessly piled on, but if you're going to make a fucking Cats movie shouldn't you swing for the fucking fences and be as big and weird as possible?
NO
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:32 am I get that the nature of the beast (the internet) means that something like that Cats trailer is going to get mercilessly piled on, but if you're going to make a fucking Cats movie shouldn't you swing for the fucking fences and be as big and weird as possible?
I only know about this from this post. I just watched it. Seems like fun I think. Except I can't tell who is who except Ian McKellen.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm not involved and haven't seen any of the blowback. I just have to wonder why? Isn't it the most mocked play in history at this point?

I remember going to see it as a kid and really enjoying it. But at this point, it's kind of a running joke, no?

Kind of like Big Bang Theory, in that it's very popular, but also really unpopular at the same time.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

To be honest, I was surprised to hear about the reactions because "Cats" to me has always just been a bunch of fucking weirdos in tights and 80's hair running around pretending to be cats. This just looked like more of the same to me, but apparently it's freaking out people who love the original.

I did see someone point out that it wouldn't look as freaky if the actors had cat noses like the original costumes, which kind of makes sense.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

I'm hoping it will be good....but Hanks sounds like Forrest Gump in some of these clips and it will be tough to top the Won't You Be My Neighbor documentary. Granted a 100 million more people will probably see this movie.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 pmI'm hoping it will be good....but Hanks sounds like Forrest Gump in some of these clips and it will be tough to top the Won't You Be My Neighbor documentary. Granted a 100 million more people will probably see this movie.
I think he was just trying to copy Rogers' slower speaking style and with neither role having a significant accent, just slowing down triggers the Gump comparison. I hadn't watched it until reading your post and I didn't get that much similarity.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 pm
EdRomero wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:55 pmI'm hoping it will be good....but Hanks sounds like Forrest Gump in some of these clips and it will be tough to top the Won't You Be My Neighbor documentary. Granted a 100 million more people will probably see this movie.
I think he was just trying to copy Rogers' slower speaking style and with neither role having a significant accent, just slowing down triggers the Gump comparison. I hadn't watched it until reading your post and I didn't get that much similarity.
You don't think Alabama is a significant accent?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pittsburgh is definitely a significant asset but he didn't have it. He must have worked on that because there's nothing particularly endearing about it either.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2019 1:04 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:12 pm
You don't think Alabama is a significant accent?
To me, most of the voice of both characters is his regular voice (and it's one of the most recognizable voices because of his career length/popularity/etc.). When his regular voice is combined with the slower speed at which he speaks as Fred Rogers leads to a significant degree of any perceived similarity to Gump. At least that is how it seems to me.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't hear anything that sounded like Forrest Gump.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm not the only one who believes Jackie Brown is Tarantino's finest work. From the Time review of his newest film, Once Upon A Time In Hollywood:
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood is Tarantino’s most affectionate movie since Jackie Brown (1997), the picture that remains—the idolatry surrounding Pulp Fiction notwithstanding—his masterpiece. Tarantino is at his best when he’s motivated by affection, and for that reason, Once Upon a Time in Hollywood ranks among his finest; the serrated bitterness of his last picture, The Hateful Eight, has vanished.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Saw it last night.
[+] spoiler
Really enjoyed it, even if it has way less QT dialogue than normal, and the first hour or so is pretty slow.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 9:59 am To be honest, I was surprised to hear about the reactions because "Cats" to me has always just been a bunch of fucking weirdos in tights and 80's hair running around pretending to be cats. This just looked like more of the same to me, but apparently it's freaking out people who love the original.

I did see someone point out that it wouldn't look as freaky if the actors had cat noses like the original costumes, which kind of makes sense.
My daughter freaked when she saw the trailer and showed it to me after saying that it's the weirdest thing she's ever seen.

It DOES look horrible, but my reaction was similar to yours.

Glad I never saw the play.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

DeNiro, Pacino, and Pesci. Directed by Scorsese. YES.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched Serenity on Amazon Prime.

Fully entertaining in a Mystery Science Theatre way. So, so, so bad that the climax of the movie made me laugh out loud.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Went to a matinee today of Once Upon A Time In Hollywood. Really enjoyed it. He did an awesome job portraying the period(s).
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Just watched "The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot"....knew nothing about it but the title pulled me. Sam Elliot. Not really 2 stars (5 scale)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 9:42 pm Just watched "The Man Who Killed Hitler and Then the Bigfoot"....knew nothing about it but the title pulled me. Sam Elliot. Not really 2 stars (5 scale)
Funny, this morning Joe Rogan convinced me I need to see it.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Aladdin was pretty good! Will Smith looked a little wonky sometimes, and the Prince Ali number felt a little flat, but maybe that was just because the rest of the musical sets worked so well. Great looking set of leads they cast.

Also saw OUATIH, which was unquestionably great.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Looks interesting...

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s fucking wild to think that five of the last six Best Director Oscars have been won by Mexicans.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:00 am It’s fucking wild to think that five of the last six Best Director Oscars have been won by Mexicans.
Have to go back to Bigelow in 2009 to get to a full-blooded American! INVASION.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watched endgame again tonight. It still hits all the notes for me but realistically it gets nominated for best picture but doesn’t win. But will have to see how end of year stacks up.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw the new Tarantino joint. Didn’t really do it for me. Wasn’t bad but I honestly predicted the ending like 15 minutes in. Some good acting though. DiCaprio especially.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’m going to try to make that one this coming week.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Watching pulp fiction now. I think this was the movie that made me realize I like movies.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife wanted to continue watching Big Little Lies last night, but I wasn’t in that mood. We looked for a comedy and settled on Crazy Rich Asians and it was great! She even cried, and she’s more of a sad crier than a happy crier.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I know it’s lowbrow as fuck but The Cannonball Run is an enjoyable way to spend 90 minutes. I’d love to curate a film festival one day and program There Will Be Blood followed by The Cannonball Run followed by Beyond The Valley Of The Dolls.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:29 pm Saw the new Tarantino joint. Didn’t really do it for me. Wasn’t bad but I honestly predicted the ending like 15 minutes in. Some good acting though. DiCaprio especially.
I saw it yesterday and just found it to be overly long, like twice as long as it needed to be. Probably a 90-minute movie stretched out to 2:41.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yep, if we’re being generous there was an easy 30 minutes that could have been cut and it still would have felt like a “Tarantino epic”