Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

Bensell wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:Saw American Hustle over the weekend. Excellent. Reminded me a lot of GoodFellas.
I thought American Hustle was the best movie I've seen this year. Jennifer Lawrence was amazing as usual.

I also saw Catching Fire and thought it was better than the first Hunger Games movie.
Loved American Hustle. Lawrence is phenomenal, but really the whole cast is excellent. Jeremy Renner surprised me. I know he can act (see Locker, hurt) but he put on a good display.

And I'll tell you what won't win best supporting....the bras....because there are none in that movie as far as i can tell.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saw The Wolf of Wall Street last night. Really, really liked it. It's a little weird in that it's essentially a three-hour comedy, but there's some interesting dramatic moments in it too. Arguably the best performance of DiCaprio's career and that's saying something.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote:Saw The Wolf of Wall Street last night. Really, really liked it. It's a little weird in that it's essentially a three-hour comedy, but there's some interesting dramatic moments in it too. Arguably the best performance of DiCaprio's career and that's saying something.
Everything I've read says that he manages to carry a 3 hour movie almost singlehandedly. If he doesn't get the Oscar it's because the academy hates him. He's every bit as good as DDL, IMO.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

AB_skin_test wrote:
brian wrote:Saw The Wolf of Wall Street last night. Really, really liked it. It's a little weird in that it's essentially a three-hour comedy, but there's some interesting dramatic moments in it too. Arguably the best performance of DiCaprio's career and that's saying something.
Everything I've read says that he manages to carry a 3 hour movie almost singlehandedly. If he doesn't get the Oscar it's because the academy hates him. He's every bit as good as DDL, IMO.
I haven't seen it yet, but the lead actor in 12 Years a Slave (I can't spell his name from memory) might be the frontrunner for that. But yeah, DiCaprio's the best performance I've seen since DDL in Lincoln last year.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

And don't forget Jonah Hill in that movie. I couldn't stop laughing at everything he did. He was outstanding.

Oh, and so were Margot Robbie's tits. Ma'donn, that girl is something. (And she's Australian! So fine. Just so, so fine.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Isn't she a bit old for you John?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Born in 1990. Nope!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Jonah Hill, he of Superbad, is now a two-time Oscar nominee.

Next Sean Penn, y'all.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I haven't seen any of the nine (NINE?!) best picture Oscar nominees.

But I have seen two of the Razzie nominees as well as the first ten minutes of a third nominee.

Something is definitely wrong in my life.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote:I haven't seen any of the nine (NINE?!) best picture Oscar nominees.

But I have seen two of the Razzie nominees as well as the first ten minutes of a third nominee.

I've only seen American Hustle. It was really good fun.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Pruitt wrote:I haven't seen any of the nine (NINE?!) best picture Oscar nominees.

I thought Bale was fantastic and otherwise the entire film was cliche-ridden throughout. I actually leaned over to my wife and asked if we could leave during the film.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:

I thought Bale was fantastic and otherwise the entire film was cliche-ridden throughout. I actually leaned over to my wife and asked if we could leave during the film.
So what did you think of the ending?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Anyone seen Lone Survivor? This lady did and she puts it on blast. But it's LA Weekly, so I'd expect that.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think it's entirely conceivable that a war movie with Mark Wahlberg could suck. It's not exactly like Olivier performing Hamlet.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Just 2 for me: The Wolf of Wall Street and Gravity. Though I do intend to see 12 Years A Slave, Dallas Buyer's Club, and American Hustle when I get the chance.

And I also saw Grown Ups 2. It was an option on the plane I took from Frankfurt to Houston, so I had time to kill.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:Anyone seen Lone Survivor? This lady did and she puts it on blast. But it's LA Weekly, so I'd expect that.

Saw it last night. And it's a pro-war movie in this day and age so I wouldn't expect many people to think it's not a little jingoistic. With WWII movies and the like, we get to write it off as history without having to think about the us-vs.them aspect and you can't do that with material that is still happening.

I liked the movie. It was violent, but I have a feeling that 4 Navy Seals being up against a bunch of Taliban fighters would be pretty violent. I don't know how much was fictionalized but it was a good 2 hours. Great sound and looked great.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:
DSafetyGuy wrote:
AB_skin_test wrote:I've only seen American Hustle. It was really good fun.
So what did you think of the ending?
I already voiced that opinion.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

^^^^^nevermind

I finally (meaning I've sort of meant to for years but just never bothered) watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang this afternoon. Really enjoyable. RDJ is just, I don't know... Magnetic? Watchable?
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

I went to see Frozen with the sister and niece today and it was great. Easily the best animated film I've seen in a while.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Bensell wrote:I went to see Frozen with the sister and niece today and it was great. Easily the best animated film I've seen in a while.
I did not think it was up to its peers (A-list style animation from Disney/Pixar/Dreamworks). However, I took my daughter and she was completely into it and made it worth the time.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Bensell wrote:I went to see Frozen with the sister and niece today and it was great. Easily the best animated film I've seen in a while.
Went to see it yesterday, but had to walk away empty handed, as there were no seats together. Felt horrible, as we promised the kids and it was my daughters first trip to a movie theater. I haven't been to a theater in way to long. Million Dollar Baby is the last movie I've seen, I believe 9 years ago. Is it common now that when you buy tix you get a specific seat? WTF? I was also surprised that for 2 kids and 2 adults the tickets were $53! No wonder we never go to the movies.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Million Dollar Baby is the biggest piece of shit movie ever. Seriously, they put that horse down on the track at Churchill back in 2008 quicker than they did in this horrible film.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:
Went to see it yesterday, but had to walk away empty handed, as there were no seats together. Felt horrible, as we promised the kids and it was my daughters first trip to a movie theater. I haven't been to a theater in way to long. Million Dollar Baby is the last movie I've seen, I believe 9 years ago. Is it common now that when you buy tix you get a specific seat? WTF? I was also surprised that for 2 kids and 2 adults the tickets were $53! No wonder we never go to the movies.
Some the (AMC) theaters around here have switched to a dine in format, where you're paying for the seat and a certain amount of food, and table service (which might explain the assigned seats). I avoid them.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:
The Sybian wrote:
Some the (AMC) theaters around here have switched to a dine in format, where you're paying for the seat and a certain amount of food, and table service (which might explain the assigned seats). I avoid them.

It was an AMC dine-in, but i don't think that showing was dine-in. It was the 3-D theater at the Menlo Park Mall. Maybe I would have been pre-charged food.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Giff wrote:Million Dollar Baby is the biggest piece of shit movie ever.

Word.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The Sybian wrote:It was an AMC dine-in, but i don't think that showing was dine-in. It was the 3-D theater at the Menlo Park Mall. Maybe I would have been pre-charged food.
We tried to see something at that exact theater a couple of years ago and could only get Dine-in tickets. The price ended up being something ridiculous, (I think it was more than $53, so you're probably right about your experience), and I flat out refused on general principal to pay that price to see a shitty kids movie. We made a couple of phone calls, found it playing at the Rialto, and went there instead.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

An oral history of Swingers.

Well worth a half hour of your time. This is one of the reasons why I love Grantland. Their pop culture stuff is usually off the charts awesome.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

Dallas Buyers Club lived up to every bit of it's hype. Matthew McConaughey deserves an Oscar; just an outstanding performance.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Oh, yeah, I watched Blue Jasmine the other night. Pretty standard if you are a Woody fan; but Cate Blanchette was fantastic and deserves an Oscar for her performance (even though I haven't seen the films featuring her co-nominees for Best Actress).
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

howard wrote:Oh, yeah, I watched Blue Jasmine the other night. Pretty standard if you are a Woody fan; but Cate Blanchette was fantastic and deserves an Oscar for her performance (even though I haven't seen the films featuring her co-nominees for Best Actress).
Watched Blue Jasmine the other day and enjoyed it. Cate Blanchette is great as Blanche DuBois, er, I mean as Jasmine. But I have to quibble with the other characters, especially thei accents. This takes place in San Francisco, but all the characters sound like the cast of Jersey Shore! And the sister who is a working class grocery store bagger, lives in a big apartment she certainly couldn't afford in San Francisco. The photography was beautiful - all the postcard sights - but it otherwise didn't seem like it took place out here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

There has been far more eloquent discourse within this very forum's contumely time on Earth, Horatio, than dreamt of in your frail Oscars meriting.
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
That French Guy
Maude Lebowski

Post by That French Guy »

Saw American Hustle this WE. Great acting, liked the soundtrack, the movie's nice but not Oscar-worthy.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

That French Guy wrote:Saw American Hustle this WE. Great acting, liked the soundtrack, the movie's nice but not Oscar-worthy.
My thoughts exactly. Except I would never abbreviate weekend as WE.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Dallas Buyers Club was OK.
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

AB_skin_test wrote:Dallas Buyers Club was OK.
I agree about the movie overall being just decent, but McConaughey and Leto both turned in killer performances.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I wasn't overwhelemed by Leto. MM was solid.

Watched Her last night. That is a messed up movie.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

Just returned from watching the Lego movie with my 7 year old son. I was dreading it, but aside from 5 minutes towards the end it was great fun (for both of us). I enjoyed the experience more than watching the Wolf of Wall street, which is the best film I have seen in quite a while.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Watched Das Boot for the first time the other night. Holy crap, what a great film. That movie should've won the Oscar for best cinematography for all the shots inside the sub. It does a great job of showing how claustrophobic submarines can be.

I also wasn't expecting that ending. Such is war, I guess.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
teeteebee
Brandt

Post by teeteebee »

Think we are seeing Lego Movie tomorrow. My 6 year older is excited to see it. And I am too.

We did not see Frozen yet but I have it preordered from Amazon. They turn those things quick nowadays as the release date is next month.
oh shit...
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Sabo wrote:Watched Das Boot for the first time the other night. Holy crap, what a great film. That movie should've won the Oscar for best cinematography for all the shots inside the sub. It does a great job of showing how claustrophobic submarines can be.

I also wasn't expecting that ending. Such is war, I guess.
regular movie or director's cut?
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?