Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B »

I liked Dunkirk. Totally get the dialogue/sound issues. Of the ones I’ve seen Call me By your name is my pick to win best picture and darkest hour is probably second. Hope to see shape of water this week. Finally on at the cineplex.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

By any metric, 25th Hour is a great movie, but I'll never understand what thought process went in to casting Tony Siragusa to play the Russian mob guy.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And Edward Norton's monologue was only the second-best in that movie.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:42 pm By any metric, 25th Hour is a great movie, but I'll never understand what thought process went in to casting Tony Siragusa to play the Russian mob guy.
Curious to see that again. I saw a screening of it before it came out. It was shortly after 9/11, and it was the first movie to address 9/11. I was so hung up on the emotions of that aspect, it overshadowed the rest of the movie. It was incredibly emotionally powerful for me at the time, but it touched raw nerves. Curious to see what I'd think of it now. I also don't know how much editing they did after the screenings.*

My roommate was unemployed at the time, and she was a master at getting free tickets to screenings. You got to see pre-released films, and fill out long surveys or take polls on various scenes and discuss what you liked/didn't like.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Baby Driver was a cool movie. Very formulaic plot, but the use of music and some of the set pieces were great.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am Baby Driver was a cool movie. Very formulaic plot, but the use of music and some of the set pieces were great.
Yeah it was formulaic but really solid characters that drove the movie. Hamm, Foxx, and Elgort just were really good characters (maybe not as much with Spacey).
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:53 am
A_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 10:50 am Baby Driver was a cool movie. Very formulaic plot, but the use of music and some of the set pieces were great.
Yeah it was formulaic but really solid characters that drove the movie. Hamm, Foxx, and Elgort just were really good characters (maybe not as much with Spacey).
great entertainment. And Lily James Ooh-la-la
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wife is having back surgery on Monday. She's basically been on bed rest since early January. The only thing she can really do outside of the house for any length of time is go to the fancy ass movie theater with the reclining seats. We saw Shape of Water a few weeks back, and now...

She got us tickets for Black Panther for Saturday... I'm psyched.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Wakanda does not exist!
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:42 pmShe got us tickets for Black Panther for Saturday... I'm psyched.
Are you wearing costumes? I hear you’re supposed to dress up.

(Do not do this.)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Moreta wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm
Nonlinear FC wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 1:42 pmShe got us tickets for Black Panther for Saturday... I'm psyched.

(Do not do this.)
An understated blackface is acceptable, I think.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A_B wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:10 pm
Moreta wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:09 pm

(Do not do this.)
An understated blackface is acceptable, I think.
They'll know you mean it in a nice way.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

They?

Racist.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's not racist if you're wearing blackface as part of a celebraish of African-American culture. Respectfully.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'll just wear a darth vader mask, then.

Thanks for the input fellas.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

4:30 tomorrow. Super looking forward to it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone seen 3 Billboards? Seems like its getting the backlash treatment...like LaLaLand did last year.
I don't know if I've talked to anyone who actually liked it. Everyone I know who saw it said it sucked.
I watched it on the flight home tonight - wanted so badly to love it - and I have to say that it is a piece of crap.

SPOILERS COMING...

First half hour had me hooked, that soon turned to amazement at the coincidences and constant piling on of hardship. She couldn't just have told her daughter to walk to the bar? No, she had to yell at her "I hope you get raped!" That was the exact moment where I went from liking this movie to thinking that it was written by a student, or by someone who doesn't trust his audience to understand that Mildred has a lot of guilt. Not enough to tell people that her ex-husband was an asshole who beat her. No, let's show him grabbing her by the throat and have the son put a knife on dad's throat. Yet mere seconds earlier, the same son basically told mom that her accusing his father of abuse was a matter of opinion. And of course the Chief is going to kill himself (and that may have been the single worst developed character I have seen in a respected movie in years. He paid for the billboards and wishes her luck, yet sets her up to be crucified by the townsfolk? WHAT?

And the guy who took over the police force? He appeared rather conveniently. And Chief Willoughby's wife walks into the gift shop to drop off a letter just as Mildred is being threatened?

And the device of the posthumous letters? And Dixon can't smell smoke? And why does the Dinklage character get to throw exposition out at the 3/4 mark of the film? "Sure I'm a dwarf who sells cars who has a drinking problem..." who gives a fuck? You've been in two short scenes and the movie is almost done. You are barely a plot device. Go away. And the scene with Mildred and her ex's 19 year old girlfriend in the restaurant? "Take care of her Charlie." What? Why?

It became a hate watch, and then bordered on "Mystery Science Theatre" territory. Almost a parody of an Indy movie with a couple of extraneous scenes of Black folks just to give it some sort of credibility.

She's a great actress, but this movie is - to me - laughable.

It has been a long, long time since I was so disappointed by a movie. And the fact that this schlock is winning all kinds of awards tells me that I am in the minority here, but this is not a good film.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Wife turns to me as we walk out of black panther and says, sheepishly, 'how come I thought this was going to be a civil rights movie?' LOL. She's not always entirely culturally aware but I almost fell over laughing. She enjoyed it, just thought she was going to see something entirely different.

FWIW, I really enjoyed it. Not my favorite movie ever, but it was very well done. I also have a huge crush on Letitia Wright, who was fantastic.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 12:18 am
brian wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:35 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Jan 23, 2018 12:34 pm Has anyone seen 3 Billboards? Seems like its getting the backlash treatment...like LaLaLand did last year.
I don't know if I've talked to anyone who actually liked it. Everyone I know who saw it said it sucked.
I watched it on the flight home tonight - wanted so badly to love it - and I have to say that it is a piece of crap.

SPOILERS COMING...

First half hour had me hooked, that soon turned to amazement at the coincidences and constant piling on of hardship. She couldn't just have told her daughter to walk to the bar? No, she had to yell at her "I hope you get raped!" That was the exact moment where I went from liking this movie to thinking that it was written by a student, or by someone who doesn't trust his audience to understand that Mildred has a lot of guilt. Not enough to tell people that her ex-husband was an asshole who beat her. No, let's show him grabbing her by the throat and have the son put a knife on dad's throat. Yet mere seconds earlier, the same son basically told mom that her accusing his father of abuse was a matter of opinion. And of course the Chief is going to kill himself (and that may have been the single worst developed character I have seen in a respected movie in years. He paid for the billboards and wishes her luck, yet sets her up to be crucified by the townsfolk? WHAT?

And the guy who took over the police force? He appeared rather conveniently. And Chief Willoughby's wife walks into the gift shop to drop off a letter just as Mildred is being threatened?

And the device of the posthumous letters? And Dixon can't smell smoke? And why does the Dinklage character get to throw exposition out at the 3/4 mark of the film? "Sure I'm a dwarf who sells cars who has a drinking problem..." who gives a fuck? You've been in two short scenes and the movie is almost done. You are barely a plot device. Go away. And the scene with Mildred and her ex's 19 year old girlfriend in the restaurant? "Take care of her Charlie." What? Why?

It became a hate watch, and then bordered on "Mystery Science Theatre" territory. Almost a parody of an Indy movie with a couple of extraneous scenes of Black folks just to give it some sort of credibility.

She's a great actress, but this movie is - to me - laughable.

It has been a long, long time since I was so disappointed by a movie. And the fact that this schlock is winning all kinds of awards tells me that I am in the minority here, but this is not a good film.
Just watched. And your review is fake news.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, great minds don't always think alike.

In the cold light of day, I think I hate this movie even more. Its sneering contempt for its subjects, its cheesy plot devices and worst of all,
[+] spoiler
Bill Willoughby - loves his family. Is the voice of decency from beyond the grave, yet he blows his brains out where his wife will be forced to find him. I get that he was most likely too involved with chemotherapy to make a solid effort to find the killer, but he clearly was not a good man in that he let his idiot cops act like bullies in the town.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I legitimately hope he’s better soon but it couldn’t have been that “massive” if he’s tweeting about it a few hours later. My uncle had a massive heart attack once and could barely move for days.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote: Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:01 pm Well, great minds don't always think alike.

In the cold light of day, I think I hate this movie even more. Its sneering contempt for its subjects, its cheesy plot devices and worst of all,
[+] spoiler
Bill Willoughby - loves his family. Is the voice of decency from beyond the grave, yet he blows his brains out where his wife will be forced to find him. I get that he was most likely too involved with chemotherapy to make a solid effort to find the killer, but he clearly was not a good man in that he let his idiot cops act like bullies in the town.
I enjoyed the movie, but I also got a free screeners copy and watched from the comfort of my living room. But, I had a lot of issues and I can see where people are picking it apart for valid reasons.
[+] spoiler

* - I found the way they dealt with the racist deputy to be kind of problematic. Just in general, I can see how someone would be a little annoyed with how they dealt with race in this movie.

* - I, too, had a HUGE problem with the suicide. Not that he did it, but how and where he did it. The father of one of my closest friends in high school killed himself in their pool house. He knew one of the girls or the mom would find him. And they would have to either live with that spot in their home being forever marked, or move away. They moved. It's a very shitty thing to do.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

[+] spoiler
You see, I think it's OK to not get too far into the racist aspect of that character. Everyone except for the Chief despises the guy, we know why, it's part of his character. It's in your face but not in your face. That he doesn't actually do anything to any of the black characters in the movie is, IMO, putting convention on its head. We know he's bad, everyone hates him, but that's the character. That he "redeems" himself later doesn't bother me the way it has a lot of people. That it shows the latent racism without it being about racism was a good decision, I think.

I do get the suicide criticism re: location, but this movie was one that just punches you in the nose in the first ten minutes then keeps hitting you over and over. I really really enjoyed it.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

[+] spoiler
Yeah, the handling of the racism was fine as far as I was concerned. Clearly, the only white character who dealt with blacks as humans was the town pariah, so it did make sense.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

[+] spoiler
I haven’t seen the movie but the suicide location is pretty typical for men. Not all of course, but men tend to do it where family will find them. Women tend to do it away from the home, taking care to not make a mess.
Not so much of a spoiler as a sensitive topic. I haven’t seen the movie yet. In fact, I’ve only seen Get Out and Dunkirk of the BP noms. I’ve clearly been slacking.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I've only seen the aforementioned Three Billboards and Get Out which is absolutely amazing. That's the movie that people will be talking about 20 years from now.

I'm planning on seeing Lady Bird this weekend and of the others, I want to see Dunkirk, The Shape of Water and Darkest Hour and probably will sometime in the next few months.

Have no interest at all in the other three.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Phantom Thread and CMBYN were both pretty excellent.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

We watched 'Wonder' the other night (my kids picked it out). Pretty standard disease/uplifting movie fare. Lots of questions, many regarding Owen Wilson's character.

1-What the hell did he do for a living? His family lives in a huge brownstone in New York City, wife (Julie Roberts) doesn't work, both kids go to private schools, and he never seems stressed out and he's got plenty of time to be around the house. Very suspicious.

2-Own Wilson and dogs....do dogs show up to the set, see Wilson, and think "Oh...this ain't good for my character".
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:58 am We watched 'Wonder' the other night (my kids picked it out). Pretty standard disease/uplifting movie fare. Lots of questions, many regarding Owen Wilson's character.

1-What the hell did he do for a living? His family lives in a huge brownstone in New York City, wife (Julie Roberts) doesn't work, both kids go to private schools, and he never seems stressed out and he's got plenty of time to be around the house. Very suspicious.

2-Own Wilson and dogs....do dogs show up to the set, see Wilson, and think "Oh...this ain't good for my character".
I do not watch ANY movie with a dog in it without consulting this site first: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 pmI do not watch ANY movie with a dog in it without consulting this site first: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/
I prefer the graffiti at bus stops method.

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm
Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 pmI do not watch ANY movie with a dog in it without consulting this site first: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/

My wife took my daughter to see that movie the week it came out. They were both traumatized.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Johnnie wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:18 pm

Right outside the Westside Pavilion in my old hood.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

That dog was such an asshole that I could not garner a shred of sympathy for it.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jerloma wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 4:00 pm That dog was such an asshole that I could not garner a shred of sympathy for it.
Mr. Warmth.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Pruitt wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 12:05 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:58 am We watched 'Wonder' the other night (my kids picked it out). Pretty standard disease/uplifting movie fare. Lots of questions, many regarding Owen Wilson's character.

I do not watch ANY movie with a dog in it without consulting this site first: https://www.doesthedogdie.com/
I'll have to bookmark that site. My kids both said 'Oh no...not the dog!'.

And, to be honest, the kids face wasn't all THAT fucked up. I mean, he's got Owen Wilson as a father....what's Wilson's excuse?

And it bugs me that Julia Roberts is now reduced to the "loving wife/mother" roles. Soon she'll have the 'concerned wife on the phone' parts (think of Laura Linney in 'Sully')
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Coincidentally, my family watched Wonder this past weekend as well. I liked it. It was a nice, heartwarming story. And as DiS pointed out, some pretty big names in it for a small movie.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:59 pm Coincidentally, my family watched Wonder this past weekend as well. I liked it. It was a nice, heartwarming story. And as DiS pointed out, some pretty big names in it for a small movie.
It was very heartwarming....made my GF cry!

And it reminded me a bit of that awful 'Dolphin Tale' movie. That thing had Harry Connick, Jr, Ashley Judd, Morgan Freeman, and Kris Kristofferson in it. That's a lot of big names for a movie about a disabled dolphin. I would joke that they all had boat payments to make.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Meryl Streep has a .607 OBP in terms of Oscar Noms vs. Appearances.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 am
Shirley wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 11:59 pm Coincidentally, my family watched Wonder this past weekend as well. I liked it. It was a nice, heartwarming story. And as DiS pointed out, some pretty big names in it for a small movie.

And it reminded me a bit of that awful 'Dolphin Tale' movie. That thing had Harry Connick, Jr, Ashley Judd, Morgan Freeman, and Kris Kristofferson in it. That's a lot of big names for a movie about a disabled dolphin. I would joke that they all had boat payments to make.
I might have misted up a bit. I've sent my smart, sweet, special-needs kid off to school and known that fear of what may happen inside those doors. So maybe it hit a bit close to home.
Totally Kafkaesque
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Shirley wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:37 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Feb 28, 2018 1:01 am

I might have misted up a bit. I've sent my smart, sweet, special-needs kid off to school and known that fear of what may happen inside those doors. So maybe it hit a bit close to home.
The stuff about the older sister being "left out" is what got to my GF. She always worries that her older daughter took on a heavy burden due to the younger autistic daughter.