The Dude

Re: Movies

Post by tennbengal »

Lord of the Rings series.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

If you want to go back a bit, The Grapes of Wrath, especially since I read it after high school so I didn't need to rush through it. And I think they change the ending there.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Specifically I think Harry Potter 3 and 4 are the highlights of both the books and the movies.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

L-Jam3 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:48 am If you want to go back a bit, The Grapes of Wrath, especially since I read it after high school so I didn't need to rush through it. And I think they change the ending there.
They completely screwed the ending. Didn't want that racy scene of a lactating woman saving a dying man, so they switched it to a phony upbeat ending that was completely at odds with the rest of the movie.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:40 am It could be a thread on its own, but which movies can you think of that were excellent as both books and movies? Even if some changes were made. First ones that come to mind are...

No Country for Old Men
The Shining
Everything Is illuminated
To Kill A Mockingbird
Bang The Drum Slowly
The Martian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:40 am It could be a thread on its own, but which movies can you think of that were excellent as both books and movies? Even if some changes were made. First ones that come to mind are...

No Country for Old Men
The Shining
To Kill A Mockingbird
Bang The Drum Slowly
I thought the movie was much, much stronger than the book.

I'd add The Big Sleep (one of my favourite movies ever, and a great book in its own right.)

and to really change things Heart of Darkness / Apocolypse Now.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

I thought Brando was the worst part of Apocalypse Now, but I also think method acting is mostly* a bunch of hogwash, so grain of salt.

* Obviously exceptions to every rule exist, e.g. Ledger’s Joker.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 12:15 pm

No Country for Old Men
The Shining
To Kill A Mockingbird
Bang The Drum Slowly
I thought the movie was much, much stronger than the book.

I'd add The Big Sleep (one of my favourite movies ever, and a great book in its own right.)

and to really change things Heart of Darkness / Apocolypse Now.
The movie was a fair bit different (Everything is Illuminated), from the book which I absolutely loved. But the adaptation was excellent and Liev Schrieber did a fantastic job directing it. I'd say the book edges out the movie (IMO of course)

Heart of Darkness/Apocalypse Now is a good pair.

World According to Garp was a great book and a really good movie too.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I'll offer two from my favorite author and then find the Confessions thread for the third from the same guy:

High Fidelity
About a Boy
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:21 am I'll offer two from my favorite author and then find the Confessions thread for the third from the same guy:

High Fidelity
About a Boy
Just don't say Fever Pitch. The book was great, but the movie...
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

The version about Arsenal was pretty good and close to the book. The one about the Red Sox... not so much.

Grain of salt and all.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It's probably because everyone hated it and made it known by the time I saw it so I was expecting garbage, but I really enjoyed the movie.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

L-Jam3 wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:44 am The version about Arsenal was pretty good and close to the book. The one about the Red Sox... not so much.

Grain of salt and all.
Yeah, though even the English version was just kind of meh, but I'm not a big Colin Firth fan, so...

Anyway, speaking of Great Britain, Trainspotting was another great book and great movie.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Trainspotting, the book, is so hard to get through. Reading brogue is not for the faint of heart.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am Trainspotting, the book, is so hard to get through. Reading brogue is not for the faint of heart.
I think I let cerrano borrow that book 20+ years ago, and if so I'm not sure if I ever got it back...

Hey man, if you still have it you should read it before you head to Scotland!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:46 am

No Country for Old Men
The Shining
To Kill A Mockingbird
Bang The Drum Slowly
Rum Punch/Jackie Brown
The Natural
Shoeless Joe/Field of Dreams
A few in the Stephen King Collection
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Speaking of which I just saw T2 Trainspotting the other day and I was prepared to hate it, but I quite liked it. Shouldn't doubt Danny Boyle I guess. It's kind of funny his most popular movie (Slumdog Millionaire) is probably his weakest in my opinion at least.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:00 am Trainspotting, the book, is so hard to get through. Reading brogue is not for the faint of heart.
Just looked at a sample of the first page and ugh. Writing stuff phonetically to imitate a dialect is one of my biggest author pet peeves.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:11 am
Just looked at a sample of the first page and ugh. Writing stuff phonetically to imitate a dialect is one of my biggest author pet peeves.
I read it in a Scottish lit class I took in college, and one semester wasn't nearly enough to become "fluent".
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am Speaking of which I just saw T2 Trainspotting the other day and I was prepared to hate it, but I quite liked it. Shouldn't doubt Danny Boyle I guess. It's kind of funny his most popular movie (Slumdog Millionaire) is probably his weakest in my opinion at least.
I watched it recently and it seemed to me that a viewer's enjoyment of the second movie would strongly depend on your opinion of the first.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:24 pm
brian wrote: Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:07 am Speaking of which I just saw T2 Trainspotting the other day and I was prepared to hate it, but I quite liked it. Shouldn't doubt Danny Boyle I guess. It's kind of funny his most popular movie (Slumdog Millionaire) is probably his weakest in my opinion at least.
I watched it recently and it seemed to me that a viewer's enjoyment of the second movie would strongly depend on your opinion of the first.
For sure. If you didn't like the first, you shouldn't watch the second.
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Day of the Jackal (first one not the piece of shit with John Travolta)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Saw Mission Impossible: Fallout last night. It was ok. Definitely some cool stuff going on, but you have to suspend reality for it.

But what did catch my eye were these movies in the previews:

My girlfriend gave me the heads up on the second one. She's a history major and has read basically every Nazi book about WW2 ever so she's dying to see it.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 pm Saw Mission Impossible: Fallout last night. It was ok. Definitely some cool stuff going on, but you have to suspend reality for it.
We saw MI:Fallout last night as well. Thought it was great, although, for a movie with some amazing action set pieces (the chase in Paris, the helicopter chase), I thought it dragged in a few spots. It needed more Angela Bassett!

And, Tom Cruise is a absolute kook, but the guy can still bring it in an action movie. He's 2 years older then me, and jumping off of buildings, and I limp around if I stand up too fast.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I'm 34 and my back has been killing me for 3 days. I don't know how he does what he does.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Johnnie wrote: Sun Jul 29, 2018 4:01 pm I'm 34 and my back has been killing me for 3 days. I don't know how he does what he does.
Scientology. Its gotta be....

(either that or some kind of mutant growth hormones)
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Money can buy everything.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Stunt doubles help a lot, I presume.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Johnnie wrote: Sat Jul 28, 2018 11:36 pm Saw Mission Impossible: Fallout last night. It was ok. Definitely some cool stuff going on, but you have to suspend reality for it.

But what did catch my eye were these movies in the previews:

My girlfriend gave me the heads up on the second one. She's a history major and has read basically every Nazi book about WW2 ever so she's dying to see it.
a long time ago readers digest did a huge feature story written by one of the team members. It was called "I captured Eichmann". Super compelling read that i still remember probably 25 years later, so im super hyped for that movie
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

sancarlos wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:14 am Stunt doubles help a lot, I presume.
He’s legendary for doing the majority of his own stunts.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

OK, I need a Instagram thread ala J-Lo's Twitter thread.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Giff wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:28 pm OK, I need a Instagram thread ala J-Lo's Twitter thread.
Done.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Will never understand how so many people conflate pure self-interest with "taking a stand".

Obviously the cast of GOTG3 is going to support Gunn because doing so puts money in their pockets. At best, it's a transactional relationship they can use when they need a favor called in down the road after they get caught fingerbanging a hooker on Mulholland Drive.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:46 pm Will never understand how so many people conflate pure self-interest with "taking a stand".

Obviously the cast of GOTG3 is going to support Gunn because doing so puts money in their pockets. At best, it's a transactional relationship they can use when they need a favor called in down the road after they get caught fingerbanging a hooker on Mulholland Drive.
Your cynicism is astounding.

And it's a paraphrase of what I was thinking.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The tweet was kinda funny to me in that they reference thinking about what to say for 10 days. Not Bautista, he's been banging the drum for Gunn since it was announced. Dave seems like a good dude.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Good article in the NY Times:

Tom Cruise’s Most Dangerous Stunts in ‘Mission: Impossible’

So the parachuting scene? They did 106(!!!) takes of it.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I know some of you have younger kids still, so if your kids are even remotely into Teen Titans, you MUST go see Teen Titans Go to the Movies. My youngest watched a lot of it a few years back so we went for nostalgia purposes, but it was legit good.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Wed Aug 01, 2018 2:45 pm I know some of you have younger kids still, so if your kids are even remotely into Teen Titans, you MUST go see Teen Titans Go to the Movies. My youngest watched a lot of it a few years back so we went for nostalgia purposes, but it was legit good.
Planning on going either this weekend or next. And taking advantage of the opportunity to post this due to some of its more subversive qualities of the song, which starts at 1:06.

And, never made it "Deadpool 2", in spite of my excitement for it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”