Movies

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Mon Mar 23, 2020 11:05 am

Need to consult with my producing partner, but maybe next Thursday we'll do this while there's free access to the full movie.
Image

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Movies

Post by rass » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm

Caught up with another 80s/90s movie that I somehow missed. Someone point me to the seminal “Mrs Doubtfire is the villain of her own movie” essay. I spent the entire movie defending Sally Fields’ character from my kids.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:45 pm

rass wrote:
Tue Mar 24, 2020 8:36 pm
Caught up with another 80s/90s movie that I somehow missed. Someone point me to the seminal “Mrs Doubtfire is the villain of her own movie” essay. I spent the entire movie defending Sally Fields’ character from my kids.
Oh, absolutely.
Image

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4947
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Movies

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am
Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today.
And, now, the Starz networks for a week, starting today. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is the headliner Friday night, but "Bill and Ted" and a couple others have been set to record, including "Jackie Brown", which may be too good a movie for Swamp Quarantine Movie Night.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:01 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am
Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today.
And, now, the Starz networks for a week, starting today. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is the headliner Friday night, but "Bill and Ted" and a couple others have been set to record, including "Jackie Brown", which may be too good a movie for Swamp Quarantine Movie Night.
I've watched Jackie Brown like four times in the last 12 months. I'll go to my grave insisting it's Tarantino's best movie.
Image

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:07 pm

DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am
Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today.
And, now, the Starz networks for a week, starting today. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is the headliner Friday night, but "Bill and Ted" and a couple others have been set to record, including "Jackie Brown", which may be too good a movie for Swamp Quarantine Movie Night.
But Bill and Ted isn't!
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4947
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Movies

Post by DSafetyGuy » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:44 pm

A_B wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:07 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 1:55 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote:
Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:03 am
Saw that DirecTV has Showtime and TMC free for a week, starting today.
And, now, the Starz networks for a week, starting today. "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood" is the headliner Friday night, but "Bill and Ted" and a couple others have been set to record, including "Jackie Brown", which may be too good a movie for Swamp Quarantine Movie Night.
But Bill and Ted isn't!
Can't say, as I've never seen it.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Movies

Post by rass » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:01 pm

whoa
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4691
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Movies

Post by Johnny Carwash » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 pm

It's not a "good" movie, but it doesn't take itself seriously enough to be a good pick for our movie night IMO.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Movies

Post by wlu_lax6 » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 pm
It's not a "good" movie, but it doesn't take itself seriously enough to be a good pick for our movie night IMO.
Plus you have to get ready for Bill & Ted 3 that is coming out in August.

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4691
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Movies

Post by Johnny Carwash » Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:50 pm

wlu_lax6 wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:36 pm
Johnny Carwash wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 3:16 pm
It's not a "good" movie, but it doesn't take itself seriously enough to be a good pick for our movie night IMO.
Plus you have to get ready for Bill & Ted 3 that is coming out in August.
I think I worded that poorly. My opinion is that we shouldn't do Bill & Ted, because it doesn't take itself too seriously. The best choices for this are movies that are self-serious and lend themselves to unintentional humor, with our first two choices as really good examples.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:12 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Mon Mar 23, 2020 10:53 am
And it's probably on Youtube still.
So it is and I'm leaning towards doing it for this Thursday, but here's the problem. The person who posted it had to remove all of the sex scenes to (presumably) make sure it didn't get flagged by YouTube for nudity. So we have some pros and cons here:

Pros:
Sex scenes don't really add anything to the movie with one caveat (below)
Shortens the movie by about 11 minutes, getting it down to a tight 88 minutes

Cons:
It's not the full movie, so you're not getting the experience the director intended
A couple of the sex scenes are so hilariously bad (fitting in the theme of the movie) and missing those detracts a little from the experience

Ultimately the first time I saw it was on YouTube and I don't remember if the sex scenes were included -- probably not -- and it didn't detract from my enjoyment so I want your guys' opinions on if you have any strong feelings one way or the other.
Image

User avatar
govmentchedda
The Dude
Posts: 7358
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:36 pm

Re: Movies

Post by govmentchedda » Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am

My $.02 is that taking out sex scenes is suboptimal, based mostly on watching the AMC version of Roadhouse last night.
I took a two hour nap and cried during parks and Rec. it was awesome and terrifying.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Movies

Post by sancarlos » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:00 pm

govmentchedda wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 11:09 am
My $.02 is that taking out sex scenes is suboptimal, based mostly on watching the AMC version of Roadhouse last night.
I have to agree here. Harrumph, harrumph.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Movies

Post by P.D.X. » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:21 pm

Road House is basically Citizen Kane when it comes up against The Room.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:28 pm

I agree.

OK, well no "The Room" on Thursday, but it is available for $10 on Amazon right now, though Prime delivery for stuff like legendarily horrible movies is delayed a bit (understandably), so let me make the suggestion that anyone who wants to do that let's say like three weeks down the road should buy it by this weekend at the latest with the expectation we'll watch it on Thursday, April 16 or Thursday, April 23. My suggestion would be to buy it ASAP.

My promise is the same as I said in a previous thread. If you don't think you got your $10 worth, I will buy it back from you as long as you pay for the shipping to send me back the DVD.
Image

Joe K
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4534
Joined: Sun Mar 31, 2013 4:37 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Joe K » Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 am

I watched 1917 on Amazon Prime last night. It was really good and was perhaps the most brutal and least glamourous portrayal of war in any film epic I’ve seen. Obviously it’s all subjective but I think the Oscars got the “right” result in giving 1917 Best Cinematography and Parasite the other big awards.

User avatar
Nonlinear FC
The Dude
Posts: 5661
Joined: Mon Apr 01, 2013 2:09 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Nonlinear FC » Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:11 am

Joe K wrote:
Mon Mar 30, 2020 9:48 am
I watched 1917 on Amazon Prime last night. It was really good and was perhaps the most brutal and least glamourous portrayal of war in any film epic I’ve seen. Obviously it’s all subjective but I think the Oscars got the “right” result in giving 1917 Best Cinematography and Parasite the other big awards.
yeah, my wife and I did a pretty good (and fun) job of seeing most of the significant movies this year, and I thought they actually did a pretty good job with the awards this year.

I thought 1917 was right up there with Saving Private Ryan in terms of gritty realness.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.

User avatar
wlu_lax6
The Dude
Posts: 7056
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Movies

Post by wlu_lax6 » Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:38 pm

Big movie time this weekend
Uncut gems...4 stars. Very strong movie but Sandler drove my crazy....because I really find that type of New York/New Jersey person annoying
Knives Out...enjoyed it. 4 stars
Jay and Silent Bob Reboot...1 star piece of garbage. I knew it going in but generally have liked Kevin Smith movies. But this was a hot mess, not actually that funny, etc. Since Smith started smoking dope and spending all of his time in his Smodcast echo chamber he has lost what made him different and interesting (and dialog which was his strength is now a weakness).

Also have found that I am making progress in some TV shows (The variety of Amazon's All or Nothing, Brockmire) while putting miles in on the bike trainer.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:33 am

Last chance to buy The Room with Amazon Prime shipping by Thursday, April 23 when we will be doing it for Quarantine Movie Night. (Soonest delivery is April 22.)

If you buy it and absolutely hate it, I'll buy it back from you.
Image

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Movies

Post by rass » Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:38 am

Fine!

I meant to watch it after reading The Disaster Artist anyway and forgot.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Giff
The Dude
Posts: 6029
Joined: Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:26 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Giff » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:11 am

Buying it now.
Muh.

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:20 am

You are in for a treat.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:21 am

I feel pretty comfortable saying it's the kind of movie you'll want to come back to at least every couple of years or so.
Image

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:40 pm

Force Majeure is just great.

But... if you and your wife are currently fighting, do NOT watch it together.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Movies

Post by rass » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:05 pm

465918E8-1B94-4484-B6DD-49E563CFD9D2.jpeg
465918E8-1B94-4484-B6DD-49E563CFD9D2.jpeg (173.98 KiB) Viewed 312 times
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm

Yesssssss!

(I love the packaging calling it a "dark comedy". Never change TW.)
Image

User avatar
Johnny Carwash
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4691
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:57 am
Location: Land of 10,000 Sununus

Re: Movies

Post by Johnny Carwash » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:30 pm

brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm
(I love the packaging calling it a "dark comedy". Never change TW.)
Also that it's a quote, but not attributed to anybody.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm

Johnny Carwash wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:30 pm
brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:25 pm
(I love the packaging calling it a "dark comedy". Never change TW.)
Also that it's a quote, but not attributed to anybody.
I think honestly the legit most underrated hilarious part of the movie (and this isn't a spoiler or anything and is meant to entice people like DSafe in who really understand moviemaking) is just a few seconds in when you get the second vanity card for Wiseau Films (or Wiseau-Films as it were).
Image

User avatar
DSafetyGuy
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4947
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 12:29 pm
Location: Behind the high school

Re: Movies

Post by DSafetyGuy » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:05 pm

Dammit, now you have me feel like I have to ask the wife to get it from Amazon for me (I'm trying to avoid supporting Bezos).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 5:23 pm

I have no idea of shipping costs/speed but you can get it direct from Tommy Wiseau

https://www.tommywiseau.com/product/the ... nada-only/
Image

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 pm

Zombieland: Double Tap was fine. My only major takeaway was how nicely Abigail Breslin “developed”.
Image

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 pm

brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 pm
Zombieland: Double Tap was fine. My only major takeaway was how nicely Abigail Breslin “developed”.
Gross
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:10 pm

A_B wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 pm
brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 pm
Zombieland: Double Tap was fine. My only major takeaway was how nicely Abigail Breslin “developed”.
Gross
She’s 23 now, prude.
Image

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:11 pm

brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:10 pm
A_B wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:02 pm
brian wrote:
Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:44 pm
Zombieland: Double Tap was fine. My only major takeaway was how nicely Abigail Breslin “developed”.
Gross
She’s 23 now, prude.
K.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Movies

Post by A_B » Sat Apr 04, 2020 9:38 pm

Shawshank redemption is unquestionably one of the ten greatest movies in the past 30 years.
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
Pruitt
The Dude
Posts: 15745
Joined: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:02 am
Location: North Shore of Lake Ontario

Re: Movies

Post by Pruitt » Sat Apr 04, 2020 10:40 pm

Watching
Blinded By The Light
with my wife and daughter and I was so irritated I left half way.

They kinda liked it, but I've just had enough of these "jukebox" movies.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."

User avatar
Shirley
The Dude
Posts: 5405
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:32 pm

Re: Movies

Post by Shirley » Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:36 am

I watched Train To Busan last night with my son and really liked it. It was one of the best zombie movies I've seen, right there with 28 Days Later. And it passed Snowpiercer to become my favorite Korean train-based apocalypse movie. If like zombies or good action flicks, give it a shot.
Totally Kafkaesque

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Movies

Post by DaveInSeattle » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:01 pm

We finally got around to watching 'Roma' last night (yeah, only a couple of years late to this). We both thought it was a well done, beautiful movie, but wow....so sad for most of it.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Movies

Post by brian » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:07 pm

Running Scared (1986) is a really underrated movie and one of the few Billy Crystal movies I like.
Image

Post Reply