2013/2014 MLS Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

2013/2014 MLS Thread

Post by Brontoburglar »

Hey, a Kansas City team comes through in the clutch!

This team is so fun -- Claudio Bieler has been a hell of a signing so far.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Re: 2013 MLS Thread

Post by DC47 »

How is Soony Saad playing for KC?
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

DC47 wrote:How is Soony Saad playing for KC?
Made the play and assist for Bieler's goal last night. Gorgeous play. He has been coming off the bench and will get some good run during the CCL and US Open Cup I imagine.

"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Grant Wahl is reporting that Man City's owners will be the likely New York team 2 owners. Too bad it is not going to be be New York City City.
Now two sources tell me the Man City owner is the odds-on favorite to be the owner of that second New York MLS team, which would be called New York City FC.
Lots of other good stuff

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... t=sc_t2_a3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Robbie Russell retires from the MLS so he can become an MD. Probably better to get started then play for United this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dc ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Robbie Russell retires from the MLS so he can become an MD. Probably better to get started then play for United this year.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/dc ... story.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Robbie:

And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Sporting trades Bobby Convey to Toronto for a third round pick. Convey had played a total of 120 minutes this year and hadn't been on the bench recently.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Consider they barely support the one team they've got, it's pretty laughable that New Yorkers are going to get a second team.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

brian wrote:Consider they barely support the one team they've got, it's pretty laughable that New Yorkers are going to get a second team.
Total WTF scenario. There's much better markets for a new team.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Brontoburglar wrote:Sporting trades Bobby Convey to Toronto for a third round pick. Convey had played a total of 120 minutes this year and hadn't been on the bench recently.
Convey was at DC United before his time playing EPL/Championship ball at Reading (and getting in Bradley's doghouse...which still have never heard why). But with Kevin Payne leading Toronto that does not surprise me.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

P.D.X. wrote:
brian wrote:Consider they barely support the one team they've got, it's pretty laughable that New Yorkers are going to get a second team.
Total WTF scenario. There's much better markets for a new team.
Okay name them

I am not buying South Florida one bit.
San Diego is a maybe but I think Chivas USA may end up there
Maybe Atlanta, Maybe St. Louis
I know Orlando is building a good thing in the minor leagues and just built a stadium..but I am not convinced.
Pittsburgh? Minnesota? Cary? Austin? Detroit? Vegas?
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Florida has already had and lost two teams. There's no teams in the Southeast now, maybe the league will target there? Or Arizona?
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'd rank them this way:

St. Louis
Atlanta
Detroit
Phoenix
Charlotte or Raleigh

Florida doesn't deserve any more chances. San Diego would be a good market, but like you said, I'd move Chivas there.

I think any of the five cities above would be a better place to expand than New York. Especially given that it appears New York/New Jerseyites don't give a crap about the Red Bulls.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

While I agree St Louis should have a team, it's not happening for myriad reasons.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Love this goal from Valencia this weekend.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

and its official New York City FC (Man City, Yankees participating) and trying to build a stadium in Flushing Meadows Corona Park

Garber must really not like the folks involved with the Cosmos
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So, so f-ing dumb. MLS refuses to learn from the mistakes of the NASL even after all these years.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

wlu_lax6 wrote:Garber must really not like the folks involved with the Cosmos
Or the Red Bulls.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

P.D.X. wrote:
wlu_lax6 wrote:Garber must really not like the folks involved with the Cosmos
Or the Red Bulls.
No, didn't you see the quotes? Having a "derby" in MLS is going to elevate both franchises and create interest in soccer in NYC. Just like it did in LA -- do you see how awesome the crowds that Chivas draws are?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DC United is trying to find some skill so they are going all NASL by brining in Cruyff to train with the team. Jesjua Cruyff is the grandson of former Washington Diplomat Johan Cruyff (that is how you remember his great play right). Jesjua, 20, arrived from Wigan Athletic’s under-21 squad in England after spending his youth in FC Barcelona’s academy. He plays wide in midfield and on the backline.

DC also brought Mike Grella (Duke->Leeds->Other English clubs like Scunthorpe), and outside back Peter Gregory (Nottingham Forrest)
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Robbie Rodgers is going to join the galaxy. Announcement expected soon.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

I have no idea who these clowns are, but the two announcers for the Columbus Crew's TV broadcast need to have their microphones muted for the rest of the season. Monotone and stupid ... A winning combination for any broadcaster!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

So yeah, the San Jose-LA game last night had a fun ending.

P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

EJ's going douche.

wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Red Bulls paying fans to stop cursing.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/soccer ... t=sc_t2_a3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

the Eric Rios quoted in that piece is currently the starting r fb for our club.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

But you guys require profanity, right? (Particularly the use of 'cunt' for describing men.)

ETA: Can I get a few bucks if I stop following that organ riff with 'Potvin Sucks!"?
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

not sure what you mean by 'you guys' there doc...you mean Red Bull? Empire Supporters? Jersey City FC? Latinos? Soccer players?

was just perusing the ESC facebook page -- man, they're not happy about the request by the league to stop the chant.. freedom of expression and some such bullcaca.

any thoughts from the swamp? what right does a supporters club have in their choice of language in their songs? and yeah.. i'm fairly aware that as a fan, based on the small print on the back of ticket, i've not any 'rights'.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

elflaco wrote:any thoughts from the swamp? what right does a supporters club have in their choice of language in their songs? and yeah.. i'm fairly aware that as a fan, based on the small print on the back of ticket, i've not any 'rights'.
You should have the right to as much as the front office values the atmosphere brought by and marketing potential of said supporters group.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

I think MLS is in the right on this one. They are trying to build an experience that will sell the most tickets. The biggest argument in their favor is it is not interesting, unique, or original. Profanity for Profanity sake is not interesting. College Hoop fans have figured out how to be interesting (Duke and too a way lesser extent Maryland). I think there is a place for the supporters to be supporters but in a slightly more family friendly/young ears sort of way.

That being said, I agree with free speech and the clubs right to boot you for the stadium for exercising it at their event.

MLS needs to find the right balance. The only reason the league still exists is the MLS realized that trying to sell the game like baseball (family friendly)/bring the whole rec program did not work and the loyal club/ethnic groups/soccer hipsters was the right foundation market.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Garber, Paulson, and mayor whoever are having some biiiiiiig presser here tomorrow for some "announcement". Timing seems uncharacteristic for announcing next year's All-star game. Speculation all over the place.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Moving the Timbers to NYC so they can have three teams in that market?
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

elflaco wrote:not sure what you mean by 'you guys' there doc...you mean Red Bull? Empire Supporters? Jersey City FC? Latinos? Soccer Players?
I meant the lasting socio-cultural effect of the Zumba on the JCFC. No offense intended.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

howard wrote:
elflaco wrote:not sure what you mean by 'you guys' there doc...you mean Red Bull? Empire Supporters? Jersey City FC? Latinos? Soccer Players?
I meant the lasting socio-cultural effect of the Zumba on the JCFC. No offense intended.
None taken rafiki

Zumba would say cuntmuppet....like in "....alexi lalas is a cuntmuppet because he said he would pick ronaldo over mesi..."
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

P.D.X. wrote:Garber, Paulson, and mayor whoever are having some biiiiiiig presser here tomorrow for some "announcement". Timing seems uncharacteristic for announcing next year's All-star game. Speculation all over the place.

Meh. 2014 all-star circle-jerk.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DC United trades Brandon McDonald to Salt Lake. Good deal for both teams. SL gets a back to help with their injuries and gives up a pick (and 2nd pick if he plays a set number of minutes). DC gets rid of the 4th highest paid player who is currently low on the depth chart (but keeps part of the salary).
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I walked by a pub the other day here in Cambridge - one that is festooned with signs touting it as a great place to watch Premier League Football and whatnot. Big football pub. What was on the big TV when I walked by? MLS.

(yeah, I know the European teams aren't playing now, but still)
Totally Kafkaesque
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

MLS had Becks, the US has Wayne Rooney's brother, Lewis Neal, Keane, and folks recognize there is some talent that will make the jump to the EPL.....oh and ESPN's European Channels need to fill hours too. Probably a package deal with SUM so the UK can see the EPL summer tour games in the US.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

wlu_lax6 wrote:DC United trades Brandon McDonald to Salt Lake. Good deal for both teams. SL gets a back to help with their injuries and gives up a pick (and 2nd pick if he plays a set number of minutes). DC gets rid of the 4th highest paid player who is currently low on the depth chart (but keeps part of the salary).
It'll be nice to have another body to throw in the mix back there.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.