NCAA Tournament 2016

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: NCAA Tournament 2016

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote:Can't really argue with any of that. I guess the only counter argument, at least on the Carolina side (since I'm not as familiar with Syracuse's issues), is that none of the current kids were affected.

I'll also say that a lot of other schools would probably like to be able to do what Kentucky and Duke are doing, but they simply can't. That plan only works if you can be very confident that you can replace those kids year after year. There just isn't a long list of programs who could conceivable do that.

BTW, for as painful as that UVA collapse was last night, I'm getting over it. I think I'm just so generally happy with what Tony Bennett has done with the program, that I just can't be too down over one tough loss. Yes, UVA should have won that game and I think they beat Syracuse 4 out of 5 times (and 19 out of 20 if you spot them a 15 point lead with 10 minutes left), but I can deal with it. I know that that UVA will be good again next year even without Brogdon, Gill, and Tobey. It's a great feeling.
But the real point is that there's pretty good grounds for the death penalty if those allegations are true. Yeah, it's not those kids fault that are there, but so what? The school did skeevy shit.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote:But the real point is that there's pretty good grounds for the death penalty if those allegations are true. Yeah, it's not those kids fault that are there, but so what? The school did skeevy shit.
Well, that's not going to happen. The NCAA simply doesn't do that anymore, and they damn sure wouldn't want to try with UNC basketball. It certainly seems like they (the whole department, not just basketball) deserve some serious sanctions, but I get the feeling that the NCAA doesn't know how to handle this. I honestly don't know how they've dealt in the past with issues that weren't directly associated with the athletic program. In this case, it was the AFAM department that was a sham and the athletic department took advantage of it (along with a lot of non-athletes). I don't know if they have smoking guns that show who was ultimately responsible or how much, for example, the men's basketball coaches knew.

If I remember correctly, the best evidence they had that academic advisers in the athletic department knew and were actively taking advantage of this came from the women's basketball team.
Totally Kafkaesque
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Wonder what level of certainty they would have needed if it were Central Connecticut State instead of UNC.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Of course it is Central Connecticut State too and thats the problem. Totally aside from the facts at UNC (though I personally know that AFAM isnt a sham major and that entry level AFAM/AFRI classes around the beginning of that time period were overly comprehensive if not substantively difficult and that classes where final papers comprised the entire grade are not unique) the problem that the original whistle blower brought up were endemic to major college revenue sports generally and not only UNC. Only difference is that the other 100 programs havent had the NCAA finger pointed at them. How do you get dozens of world class athletes onto your campus every year when most of those same athletes (and parents and coaches) made the decision years ago to forego academics in favor of a run at a paid sports gig? Now go tell those same folks to pass classes at the country's most competitive universities? Id go ahead and say its impossible. I think probably 30-40% of freshmen black males not on sports scholarships at UNC didnt make it back to school for sophomore year. Even after correcting for affirmative action, id bet that group was far more prepared academically as a group than those on revenue sport athletic scholarships. So somehow the athletes stay in school at a higher rate despite working a full time job and despite being further behind when they came in? Im sure some of that is finance related but id say most is because the schools help them. Whether its tutoring or girlfriends or friendly professors, there has to be a "go around" or else half the guys would flunk out and fast. Theres just no other way. Even if a school didnt actively facilitate, the water would still flow downhill and the athletics department would help them find the path to a passing grade. Maybe the difference is that UNC created the path and others "found" the path, but that is pretty slippery. Are there not professors all over the country ignoring the fact that disproportionate numbers of athletes come to their classes? If you dont like what happened at Carolina, then you dont like the intersection of professional athletics and higher education. If anything the mens college basketball program is insulated because they only need 3 guys every year and they are high profile enough that Roy can pick and choose next level talent that also have stable homes and middle or upper class educational values. I dont think Tyler Hansbrough or Sean May are the problem. More like finding enough depth at Safety and LB to complete with Florida State on special teams.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Pac-12 shit the bed in the men's tournament, but were surprisingly strong in the women's tournament. Two in the final four. Three in the elite eight. Four in the sweet sixteen.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And five in the hoo-ha.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Guess i gotta watch wiminz hoops now
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote:Guess i gotta watch wiminz hoops now
Same, although I watched a little of last weekend's games, too.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
P.D.X. wrote:Guess i gotta watch wiminz hoops now
Same, although I watched a little of last weekend's games, too.
I watched parts of the UW-Stanford game on Sunday. Chantel Osafor is fun to watch, and Kelsey Plum is great.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Just met Mitch Kupchak. That happened. Have a funny story about that, UCSB parents and Fordham's head coach when I get time. Vegas.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

In a related story if you happen to get CBS Sports Network I'm sitting directly behind the UCSB bench in a gray CMU T shirt next to a big black guy in a gray sweatshirt.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

You didn't watch any of that UCSB mess, did you?

Oh shit, I'll turn back and look for you.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Shirley wrote: Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:53 am An apology from Syracuse

(it's awesome)
How's the sequel?
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ironically, that's Michigan State-type levels of disrespeckt right there.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Geez. That's some insufferable shit right there.

They ARE a horrible team to watch. And if they're being honest with themselves, they know they luck-boxed their way into the tournament. I like that they are calling out the pundits, and fuck MSU. But some of the other stuff really makes them Boeheim-disciple whiny bitches.

Take your good fortune and STFU.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.