Pots and Pans and such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

RSmith
Brandt

Re: Pots and Pans and such

Post by RSmith »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:54 pm I’ve not spent that much money total on cookware in my life.

I still have a pan my grandmother gave me when I went to college because “ that’s he pan I liked my hot dogs cooked in”
Whether or not they make any kind of difference, I haven't a clue. I think she just liked the look, honestly. But I am incapable of saying no to my wife, and she has passed that trick on to our 17 year old as well, who is an authorized user on Daddy's credit card... ;-)

I'll see your pan and raise you a microwave...I still have the first microwave my parents ever got, in 1984, complete with faux woodgrain exterior, running happily through a voltage converter in my basement rec room. I use it to heat up my snacks. It takes at least twice as long as the microwave in our kitchen, but I know exactly how long to heat anything in that microwave. I am severely emotionally attached to it. :)
Last edited by RSmith on Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Like dirty water dogs.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Grilled hot dogs and steamed/simmered hot dogs should be treated as two different dishes.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm Grilled hot dogs and steamed/simmered hot dogs should be treated as two different dishes.
I do sometimes have both available.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:49 pm
mister d wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:47 pm Grilled hot dogs and steamed/simmered hot dogs should be treated as two different dishes.
I'm having a cookout tomorrow and am debating this very thought...do I grill the hot dogs (which is blasphemy, IMO) along with the burgers or boil/steam them like any normal, sane person would. Or give people the option?
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"One of each" is the right answer there.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

GoodKarma wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:34 am
I'm having a cookout tomorrow and am debating this very thought...do I grill the hot dogs (which is blasphemy, IMO) along with the burgers or boil/steam them like any normal, sane person would. Or give people the option?
Really??? I always grill the hotdogs on the BBQ. I'd never done hotdogs that way before coming to Canada, but I thought that it was normal practice on this side of the pond, after observing my father-in-law.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

RSmith wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:44 am
Really??? I always grill the hotdogs on the BBQ. I'd never done hotdogs that way before coming to Canada, but I thought that it was normal practice on this side of the pond, after observing my father-in-law.
The hot dogs are pre-cooked, anyway. But I like a little char and smoke flavor, so I like grilling them.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:39 pm
The hot dogs are pre-cooked, anyway. But I like a little char and smoke flavor, so I like grilling them.
I agree. I love a nicely-grilled bratwurst.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

RSmith wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 2:42 pm

Boil in beer. Finish on grill.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

BSF21 wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:34 pm

I'll have to try that. I know I enjoy beer-battered chicken. Any particular beer?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

RSmith wrote: Tue Jul 03, 2018 3:45 pm

I'll have to try that. I know I enjoy beer-battered chicken. Any particular beer?
Light lager. Whatever you have around. Nothing hoppy.

Start them in the beer, once the pot hits a boil hold it for a minute. Drain and sear on the grill.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

I've not done hot dogs, but have used stouts and porters extensively with more flavourful types of sausage.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Boil in beer/onions/garlic/red pepper flakes/little bit of thyme.

Grill the brats. Save the onions after draining for putting on the brats....
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Mmm. I love anything involving onions.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I had a slotdog for the first time yesterday. Amazing.