Pots and Pans and such

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Pots and Pans and such

Post by Gunpowder »

Anybody have any pots/pan sets they really like? In the sub-$300 or so for a set range. I've read T-Fal were really good for really cheap but that their quality has been falling.

I don't have a preference between stainless steel, nonstick, etc. at the moment.

We have these from a Groupon "deal" and they are the shittiest pieces of shit to ever shit. I'm going to throw them all away.

And please don't tell me to go cast iron.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Re: Pots and Pans and such

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote:And please don't tell me to go cast iron.
Seriously, you should consider cast iron. It's durable as hell, can be practically nonstick if it's seasoned properly and clean up is easier since you shouldn't put soap on it. Just don't cook acidic foods like tomatoes or wine in them, otherwise it will produce an off flavor. (Although, enameled cast iron will take care of the acidic food issue.)

If you're dead set against cast iron, I'd look for any cookware sets that are made of 18/10 stainless steel. Look for cookware sets that have thick or heavy bottoms. The heat will spread out more evenly, so you'll have less of a chance to burn your food. We have a set of KitchenAid pots and pans and they work well for us. Calphalon makes good stuff too, but it's more expensive.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

About to get rid of some of our nonstick stuff we got as a wedding gift. Thinking about going to something that doesn't flake off cancer into our food. Stainless?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We got like 5 pieces of Le Creuset when we got married and I've added maybe one every other year since. They're the best. Don't get a grill pan or a wok. The former is just dumb, the latter takes practice to use w/ any more success than the cast iron you're getting.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

If you really need a cheap full set now, get some Farberware or Kitchen Aid and add a piece at a time from a higher quality manufacturer. I like All-Clad.

I only have 2 nonstick pans- both skillets. I buy cheaper ones and replace regularly. Don't buy a whole set nonstick. It dramatically shortens their lifespans.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Sabo wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:And please don't tell me to go cast iron.
Seriously, you should consider cast iron. It's durable as hell, can be practically nonstick if it's seasoned properly and clean up is easier since you shouldn't put soap on it. Just don't cook acidic foods like tomatoes or wine in them, otherwise it will produce an off flavor. (Although, enameled cast iron will take care of the acidic food issue.)

If you're dead set against cast iron, I'd look for any cookware sets that are made of 18/10 stainless steel. Look for cookware sets that have thick or heavy bottoms. The heat will spread out more evenly, so you'll have less of a chance to burn your food. We have a set of KitchenAid pots and pans and they work well for us. Calphalon makes good stuff too, but it's more expensive.

I might get a cast iron pan, but just one. Do you guys have like, whole sets of them? And can you cook most meals no probs?

I've seen what to look for but can't find a review that I am confident in. I was thinking maybe Calphalon as they make the one pan I have that I like.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Moreta wrote:If you really need a cheap full set now, get some Farberware or Kitchen Aid and add a piece at a time from a higher quality manufacturer. I like All-Clad.

I only have 2 nonstick pans- both skillets. I buy cheaper ones and replace regularly. Don't buy a whole set nonstick. It dramatically shortens their lifespans.

Doesn't have to be cheap and right now - I'm willing to spend some money but I don't want to get burned (HA!).

I read conflicting reviews about All-Clad.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you have a large dutch oven, a 12" skillet and a saucier, you can do 95% of what you'd want to do.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:If you have a large dutch oven, a 12" skillet and a saucier, you can do 95% of what you'd want to do.

Yeah, you're probably right. The failure of the 12" (hey-o) is what has got me after new cookware.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I recently bought a Calphalon stainless, and I love it. Very solid, heats up nicely, ans is much easier to clean than I expected. Just soak in water for a little bit, and it wipes clean. I love my cast iron skillet. As AB said, season it, and it is virtually non-stick. Just make sure to dry immediately after cleaning. Cast iron is great for pan searing, and you can throw it in the oven. I will never by non-stick again.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote:I recently bought a Calphalon stainless, and I love it. Very solid, heats up nicely, ans is much easier to clean than I expected. Just soak in water for a little bit, and it wipes clean. I love my cast iron skillet. As AB said, season it, and it is virtually non-stick. Just make sure to dry immediately after cleaning. Cast iron is great for pan searing, and you can throw it in the oven. I will never by non-stick again.
Glad I could be of service! I'm passionate about two things: bourbon and cookware.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

What's the lifespan of this Calphalon shiz? The price point is suspicious. (Like I'd expect to be paying more for how great they sound.)
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Gunpowder wrote:I might get a cast iron pan, but just one. Do you guys have like, whole sets of them? And can you cook most meals no probs?
I have a 10" cast iron skillet and a cast iron dutch oven. It handles a majority of my pan frying, searing and braising needs. If I'm going to braise anything with tomatoes I'll sear it in the skillet and then put it in a slow cooker. I also have smaller nonstick pan I use for cooking eggs in the morning.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Alright, I'll just get cast iron and give it a shot. I'd still like to get some regular pans though for the lesser chef in the household who fucks up everything in the kitchen that she touches.

Has anyone tried Blue Apron? I'm assuming you can do most/all of that stuff?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:
The Sybian wrote:I recently bought a Calphalon stainless, and I love it. Very solid, heats up nicely, ans is much easier to clean than I expected. Just soak in water for a little bit, and it wipes clean. I love my cast iron skillet. As AB said, season it, and it is virtually non-stick. Just make sure to dry immediately after cleaning. Cast iron is great for pan searing, and you can throw it in the oven. I will never by non-stick again.
Glad I could be of service! I'm passionate about three things: bourbon, the proper attribution of sources, and cookware.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gunpowder wrote:Has anyone tried Blue Apron? I'm assuming you can do most/all of that stuff?
I've never done it, but its a brilliant idea for people who want to cook but don't want to think/shop.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Caphalon, All-Clad, and Le Crueset all make good stuff..and if you treat them right, they should last forever.

I have a couple of cast-iron dutch ovens which are great, but my GF has a Le Crueset that she's had for years, and I use that one more often.

I have 2 Calphalon non-stick skillets/frying pans that I use for doing eggs, omelets, etc but that's it.
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Calphalon stainless is definitely good. I like the AllClad lids better, but I know my opposition to glass lids is more personal preference than anything.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

mister d wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:Has anyone tried Blue Apron? I'm assuming you can do most/all of that stuff?
I've never done it, but its a brilliant idea for people who want to cook but don't want to think/shop.

We've been doing it for months, it's a bit pricey but the portion control is good.

It's good for someone who has no idea how to cook but wants to learn, too. The actual cooking aspect teaches me things but seems unnecessary much of the time (I don't need to spend 30 minutes making some shitty side dish).
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Moreta wrote:Calphalon stainless is definitely good. I like the AllClad lids better, but I know my opposition to glass lids is more personal preference than anything.

I don't often use lids. I'll check all this stuff out. Thanks for the suggestions, Frogs.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

P.D.X. wrote:What's the lifespan of this Calphalon shiz? The price point is suspicious. (Like I'd expect to be paying more for how great they sound.)
Their warranty is no joke. We have sent in a couple different pieces for replacement (got the set less than ten years ago) and gotten new items in return with no fuss and well ahead of the quoted "you'll receive your replacement in X weeks" time. The pieces we have not needed to replace are still in great condition.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Do you already have decent knives or should we add that into your bag as well?
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

My knives are good.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Do you have any recommendations on stoves, countertops, spices, refrigerators, brillo pads, whiskers, meat thermometers, microwaves, wooden spoons or plastic cups to really make sure I'm squared away here?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

4 of the 10, but since you were such a jerk I'm not telling you. Your loss.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I've been very pleased with Anolon over the years. Had a set of nonstick, then five years ago switched out to stainless steel. Overstock.com always has sets and individual pieces on sale, BBB too. But I use my cast iron (two 12") just as frequently as the various stainless. I have one Anolon copper bottomed, but can't tell a difference (but I don't do a lot of delicate sauces and shit.)

ETA: I have one of these, nice pan. Overstock has two of them for $65, 9.5 in and 8in, which is a nice way to try out the brand.

Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

We received some Calphalon pots and pans as wedding presents in 1994. We still use them a lot and they are still going strong.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

howard wrote:I've been very pleased with Anolon over the years. Had a set of nonstick, then five years ago switched out to stainless steel. Overstock.com always has sets and individual pieces on sale, BBB too. But I use my cast iron (two 12") just as frequently as the various stainless. I have one Anolon copper bottomed, but can't tell a difference (but I don't do a lot of delicate sauces and shit.)

ETA: I have one of these, nice pan. Overstock has two of them for $65, 9.5 in and 8in, which is a nice way to try out the brand.

Thanks for this recommendation. These are slightly more expensive on Amazon, but free shipping if you're prime. They also have their 10 piece set on there too. Around $270 or so after taxes. Just purchased it.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Gunpowder wrote:Do you have any recommendations on stoves, countertops, spices, refrigerators, brillo pads, whiskers, meat thermometers, microwaves, wooden spoons or plastic cups to really make sure I'm squared away here?
Big SOS fans over here. Anything under 1100 watts in a microwave is junk. Get yourself an instaread pen and an iGrill mini for maximum meat enjoyment.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

I laughed
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:
A_B wrote:
Glad I could be of service! I'm passionate about three things: bourbon, the proper attribution of sources, and cookware.
Yeah, Sabo wasn't happy with me.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Ordered one of each type. Time to go next level with this cheffing. Fuck Kevin Dundon.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

If you have a glass cooktop be careful about a cast iron.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We had a cutlery set on our wedding registry and my wife’s closest cousin (growing up) got it for us and I think my wife was a little disappointed that he opted for that but it was a nice set and we used it for over 17 years and I only ever cut myself when I was drunk and this past Christmas my wife got me a new set and I swear to fucking god I cut myself every time I look at it drunk or not.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Having once legitimately failed to make Kraft Dinner correctly, I am no one to talk. However, my wife absolutely swears by this copper cookware we've got. Ruffoni, I believe is the brand name. It does look genuinely cool, and as a thermofluids sort of person, I can appreciate the logic of using a material with high thermal conductivity... :)

ETA: This is the stuff. Good Lord, it's a bit steeper than I recall... ;-)
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Well look at Mr. Fancy Pans.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

P.D.X. wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 6:32 pm Well look at Mr. Fancy Pans.
Not my idea mate. My wife is responsible for all housewares. :)
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I’ve not spent that much money total on cookware in my life.

I still have a pan my grandmother gave me when I went to college because “ that’s he pan I liked my hot dogs cooked in”
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Whoa.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:01 pmWhoa.
No big deal. I mostly grill them now.

(Though we have a steamer and I like that from time to time. )