Stadium/arena/ballpark general thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Stadium/arena/ballpark general thread

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:Mets top minor league team in Vegas was dumb on literally every possible level.

For what it's worth, the Mets were left without a choice after the previous round of musical chairs. I'm betting here that Las Vegas tries to get the Padres or Dodgers back (two previous affiliations with LV), which would mean assuming no other changes that Washington would be in Oklahoma City (LA) or El Paso (SD).
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

They would have been better putting the players up in a hotel in Queens and having them scrimmage at Citi every day.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm hoping those overhangs extend a little further than it appears from this picture. It is no fun sitting in 110 degree heat and watching baseball, especially if you're even close to being in the sun.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:Image

I'm hoping those overhangs extend a little further than it appears from this picture. It is no fun sitting in 110 degree heat and watching baseball, especially if you're even close to being in the sun.

True, but will they even have any day games? Maybe a couple in April?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It’s usually still close to the daytime high at 7pm. Maybe 105 instead of 110.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

(That said I assume they’re orienting the stadium for maximum shade for night games.)
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

brian wrote:(That said I assume they’re orienting the stadium for maximum shade for night games.)

Plus, with a seven o'clock start, you're only an hour before the latest sunset anyway.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Just a programming note, since I don't know anyone who doesn't love this stuff:

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/ ... 5813591040
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

They should do it with Hammer
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Rex wrote:Just a programming note, since I don't know anyone who doesn't love this stuff:

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/ ... 5813591040

https://twitter.com/GAFollowers/status/ ... 2039270402
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

LAME
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A fine way to throw $214 million into the sewer.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Early '90s architecture did not age well there. That thing stuck out more than stadiums from the '70s.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Early '90s architecture did not age well there. That thing stuck out more than stadiums from the '70s.

Yep.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Shark Tank in San Jose is an ugly building, but at least it's still going strong.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

Posting simply because I can see this being the first soccer-specific stadium in the United States to be imploded, and I'm mad as hell at the mere thought.

Showing back up here with an axe to grind. Sorry.

chuck
dr. chuck, geek at large. been a long time since I croaked.
https://chuckpearson.wordpress.com, https://twitter.com/PearsonFootball
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

whoa
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Chuck's return makes me so happy. Well done, twitter.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

drchuck wrote:Image

Posting simply because I can see this being the first soccer-specific stadium in the United States to be imploded, and I'm mad as hell at the mere thought.

Showing back up here with an axe to grind. Sorry.

chuck

Well, the stadium is self imploding. I was at the Crew game where the scoreboard caught on fire a couple of years ago.

But yeah, Anthony Precourt is a piece of shit. I'd love to go to a Crew game and be seated near him and just yell "You're an asshole *clap**clap**clapclapclap*" at him all game long.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote:Chuck's return makes me so happy. Well done, twitter.

Welcome back!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

Sabo wrote:Well, the stadium is self imploding. I was at the Crew game where the scoreboard caught on fire a couple of years ago.

But yeah, Anthony Precourt is a piece of shit. I'd love to go to a Crew game and be seated near him and just yell "You're an asshole *clap**clap**clapclapclap*" at him all game long.

see, I hear all that about the stadium's age and weakness and yet I am still jealous of my grandparents talking history of sports in Cleveland and at Ohio State; I'm just going "who's going to invest to maintain its history"

and if we're honest about it there haven't been enough people in Columbus stepping up before now; that's what gives a tool like Precourt the room to operate

but I have it on good authority that, among a few old acquaintances there, the chant of choice will be "fuck you Precourt" *clap* *clap* *clapclapclap*

which, hey, couldn't be said of a nicer guy

chuck [and a side of "fuck you, Garber" too]
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

I don't think it would be terrible if "new" Comiskey Park was imploded either.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

I think the league is making a terrible mistake with this, but I think there is more to this than the usual rich guys trying to extract public money for sport. I suspect that quite a few people in the league view the teams that were early SSS adapters as a bit of an anchor for the league since many of those stadiums are small and poorly located. Or maybe they view the original/early franchises as an anchor in general because they are hard to market in the MLS 3.0 mold. The common thread with the newer expansion teams is that they were all able to whip up a lot of local enthusiasm in a way that wasn't possible in 1997, and they could use that enthusiasm as leverage to get a better stadium situation than was possible 15-20 years ago. In each case the local enthusiasm was organic. I don't think it can be recreated with Columbus or Chicago or Denver or Dallas or Boston unless you start all over again. Columbus isn't the worst of these (in fact it's probably the best), but it just happens to be an available opportunity to trade in a 1.0/2.0 situation for a potential 3.0 situation.
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

Rex wrote:I think the league is making a terrible mistake with this, but I think there is more to this than the usual rich guys trying to extract public money for sport. I suspect that quite a few people in the league view the teams that were early SSS adapters as a bit of an anchor for the league since many of those stadiums are small and poorly located. Or maybe they view the original/early franchises as an anchor in general because they are hard to market in the MLS 3.0 mold. The common thread with the newer expansion teams is that they were all able to whip up a lot of local enthusiasm in a way that wasn't possible in 1997, and they could use that enthusiasm as leverage to get a better stadium situation than was possible 15-20 years ago. In each case the local enthusiasm was organic. I don't think it can be recreated with Columbus or Chicago or Denver or Dallas or Boston unless you start all over again. Columbus isn't the worst of these (in fact it's probably the best), but it just happens to be an available opportunity to trade in a 1.0/2.0 situation for a potential 3.0 situation.

My one problem with this thinking is pitting the mentality of those usual rich guys with that of Lamar Hunt, who's the guy who made that made that stadium happen, and with his own coin to boot - not with a dime of public money.

Turning their back on the idea of Columbus Crew Stadium and its place in American soccer history (lest we forget the original La Guerra Fria and all of the dos-a-cero games that followed), and on the vision of Lamar Hunt to MAKE that stadium happen, is corrosive to the point of destruction, and will end my support of MLS and likely institutional American soccer with it. I can drive down to Knoxville and watch a small independent club that cares about its community instead.

To put it another way: MLS is in the process of proving the jerks like Westervelt who preach promotion/relegation and death to all other models right if they follow through with this. It's the worst possible PR look, and caring about a lick of history means you don't follow through with it. Which obviously means I'm resigned to MLS following through with it.

https://twitter.com/AleMorenoESPN/statu ... 0157275136

chuck [up the Scruffy City Syndicate]
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So I guess you are anti-relegation system for US Soccer? Because, hard disagree.
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

tennbengal wrote:So I guess you are anti-relegation system for US Soccer? Because, hard disagree.

Up to last month I would have told you the system that gave us MLS was going to be the system that would best preserve top-level soccer, not just in the big markets but in places like Columbus that were less fashionable, and provide for the development of markets like Louisville and Cincinnati that can support the game at major-league levels. We'd lose the excitement of competitive promotion and relegation, but we'd gain stability for all.

Anthony Precourt undermined that entire argument in one fell swoop, and there are a HOST of us who were very willing to support these moneymen who are now feeling completely abandoned. (And not just in Columbus - there's a community that supported previous Austin efforts at USL that DO NOT WANT THIS AT ALL.) Up to this point, as flawed as the MLS structure has been, it had shown the discipline necessary to last for the long haul, and to survive the USMNT collapse. If the Columbus Crew is uprooted for Austin, MLS turns into the new NASL immediately, and other original MLS markets - San Jose, Dallas, Kansas City, possibly even D.C. - are IMMEDIATELY at risk similarly.

I'm watching Peter Wilt's NISA with more and more interest every day, and I might want to be on board with that.

chuck [seriously though never follow @soccerreform that guy is a complete tool]
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Chuck, I think the solution to the problem I described is to have a big tent MLS, either with several divisions and promotion/relegation or an NCAA model with a bunch of conferences playing into a national tournament. The whole point of a pro soccer league in the US is to give people a chance to root for the home team. Because there is now no shortage of European/international soccer available on TV and the internet, and it’s quite obvious that much of it is a far better product than anything in the US can hope to offer. But the one thing that the Barcas and Bayerns and Manchesters do not offer us is the chance to be season ticket holders and go to games all the time. Very similar to how NCAA football and basketball are popular not because they are the pinnacle of the sport—far from it—but because there is always a team nearby and they provide an outlet for people’s tribal/provincial side. So it would be a horrible idea to artificially limit the number of places in the US that can enjoy MLS in this way.

Of course, it is an even worse idea to take a club that has actually built something in its city, and has a history and is perfectly viable, and blow that up. Among other things, it will make it that much harder to start all over again in that city. It also suggests that they really do not understand what they are offering to people and what their product is all about.
drchuck
Jackie Treehorn

Post by drchuck »

Rex wrote:Chuck, I think the solution to the problem I described is to have a big tent MLS, either with several divisions and promotion/relegation or an NCAA model with a bunch of conferences playing into a national tournament...

I'd be down, Rex. Completely.

Anthony Precourt is showing you how much he's interested in such a thing, and Don Garber is backing him. I honestly guarantee you MLS would bail on the Open Cup if they felt like they could, bail on international soccer if they felt like they could, go full Rogue NASL if they felt like they could.

Practically, I think MLS' status quo is the best solution we can hope for. And we're not even guaranteed that.

chuck [a.k.a. Dr. Buzzkill]
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ongoing Issues With London Olympic Stadium

Turning the stadium into a football venue after the Olympics cost £323m rather than the projected £190m, which the review regarded as "unrealistic". In their own early bid to take over the running of the venue, Tottenham Hotspur said it would cost around £320m to knock the Olympic Stadium down and build a football-specific one on the same site.
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

Spurs don't have a good record on pricing stadiums though so that's not a good barometer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ts-9983339
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Baloney wrote:Spurs don't have a good record on pricing stadiums though so that's not a good barometer

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/ ... ts-9983339

Yikes!

It would be interesting to see just how much money has been spent on stadiums in London since the new wembley opened. Tally would be in the billions...
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

You can't include the Emirates Stadium in that calculation because it opened before Wembley, so it would only be the Olympic/City of London Stadium & Spurs new Stadium, but it would still be over a billion, with Chelsea's eyesore still to come
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Baloney wrote:You can't include the Emirates Stadium in that calculation because it opened before Wembley, so it would only be the Olympic/City of London Stadium & Spurs new Stadium, but it would still be over a billion, with Chelsea's eyesore still to come

There are smaller new stadiums being built in London as well. Brentford, Wimbledon and Millwall are in the process.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Wembley's costs are near a billon POUNDS!

Olympic stadium (including conversion) at 900 million.

Twickenham stadium enhancements 80 million.

Spurs at 300-400 million...

Rhetorical question here - but who would ever believe the cost estimates that are given when a new stadium is planned?
Baloney
The Big Lebowski

Post by Baloney »

The Rams/Chargers stadium is estimated at $2.66 billion, odds of final cost north of $3 billion?
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Baloney wrote:The Rams/Chargers stadium is estimated at $2.66 billion, odds of final cost north of $3 billion?

Please be sure to factor in that an exceptionally heavy, out-of-season rainstorm forced the opening to be delayed by a year, including pushing back the Super Bowl being there.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”