Poll ended at Tue Apr 12, 2016 7:47 am

Call the driver in
83%
Chill out
17%

Total votes: 12

A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Swamp Ethics Court - AB Vs. The Bus Driver

Post by A_B »

Maybe I should rename this AB's odd little neighborhood.

So yesterday I am cutting my lawn. A couple drives up to the stopsign by my house (see previous posts for further elucidation) in a F150. No biggie, until the woman in passenger side gets out and walks back down the street. I don't recognize these people I should also say. Anyway, she comes back in a couple o f minutes driving a different car. The guy driving the truck gets out, gets a car seat out of the back and then puts that in the other car. No big deal. Then they drive off in the second vehicle, leaving the F-150 in the road. I don't think much of it, figure that they ran out of gas or something and are coming right back. So I finish cutting the grass, probably 15-20 minutes go by. I walked up to the truck and looked in, nothing in there at all, just sitting there locked.

I get my stuff put up, go inside, finish a beer, talk to the woman, etc. Look back out. Still there. There is a gas station about 2 minutes away by car either direction, so that really can't be it at this point. This is where I point out that the car is literally stopped in the road just as if you pulled up to a stop sign and were waiting to turn. A few feet off the curb, clearly in the road and not parked. A couple of people have pulled up behind them, thinking they were waiting to turn only to realize there was no one in the car and that they needed to go around. The f150 does not have its hazard lights on. It is parked, with the doors locked, in the road.

I mean, I appreciate him coming to a full stop and all, but 40 minutes is long even for me.

The wife and I are getting ready to pick the kids up, but she has to finish some work. Emboldened by my talk to the non-emergency line at the police last week I go ahead and call it in. The lady on the phone thinks it's a bit odd, makes sure I am telling her it is in the road and not parked, and this is probably nothing for that job, but hey, it's weird to me and while it hasn't caused any real traffic problems yet, it could.

Fast forward an hour, we have picked up the kids and dinner and get back home. The truck is there, flanked by a squad car and a tow truck. Presumably the cop didn't turn on the flashers and come screaming into the neighborhood so I anticipate some kind of delay, so this truck probably sat there for 50-60 minutes at least before the cop arrived.

The guy who was driving the F 150 earlier (he was a big fat dude in a pink shirt, so easy to remember) is talking to the tow truck driver and there is paperwork being filled out. Within 10 minutes of us being home the truck is up on the tow and everyone is gone.

So, did I overreact? To me this couple had the opportunity to do three things:

1) Put the truck in neutral and roll it back down the incline it was on into a parked position along the curb. This happens fairly often in the neighborhood, and I wouldnt' think anything about it at least until this afternoon when I get home. A parked car isn't a big deal until it sits for a while. This is both the simplest option and the least suspicious.

2) Talked to me about what was going on. While I was cutting the grass, they - but especially the woman - kept looking over at me. Like she wanted to say something, but that might be me projecting. At his point I would have suggested doing #1. But they could have told me, hey the engine blew, or whatever that they didn't want to move it, at which point I would have suggested #3.

3)Turn the fucking hazard lights on.

So what say the swamp...is AB justified or is AB getting all get off my lawn (street) with it?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Completely justified. Keep up the good work. Make Ehmurica safe again.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

duff wrote:Completely justified. Keep up the good work. Make Ehmurica safe again.
Agreed.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Snitches get stitches, yo.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

One of the couple could've have just stayed with the truck.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The fact that they didn't bother to park it at the curb completely justifies you.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I would have called, but only because the truck was in the middle of the road. Since you said other cars waited behind it, that warrants a call.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

P.D.X. wrote:One of the couple could've have just stayed with the truck.
Looking at AB probably scared them off.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

It's just an asshole move to begin with. Fuck 'em.

Also, a move like that could set off a combat vet. You don't abandon a vehicle like that.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, abandoned vehicle in the middle of the road. You waited a perfectly normal amount of time. But sooner or later you have to call the cops if the car is in the middle of the road essentially.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Completely justified.

I do things like that all the time - and watch the neighbours' houses when they are out of town.

Neighbour across the road was robbed a couple of weeks ago at 2 in the afternoon. Who knows if another neighbour saw something weird and didn't call the police?

The way I look at it is that I know and kind of like most of the people who live around me. I know their kids, their dogs etc., and feel a responsibility to report weird things to protect them (and us).

More people should get involved.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Oh look, the volunteer traffic cop is now also volunteer parking enforcement, what a fucking dick" is something they definitely didn't say when you called.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote:Completely justified.

I do things like that all the time - and watch the neighbours' houses when they are out of town.

Neighbour across the road was robbed a couple of weeks ago at 2 in the afternoon. Who knows if another neighbour saw something weird and didn't call the police?

The way I look at it is that I know and kind of like most of the people who live around me. I know their kids, their dogs etc., and feel a responsibility to report weird things to protect them (and us).

More people should get involved.
Co-signed due to laziness.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:"Oh look, the volunteer traffic cop is now also volunteer parking enforcement, what a fucking dick" is something they definitely didn't say when you called.
You know they didn't ask for any information at all. I assume they had a phone number show up, but it is registered under my work's company name.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Just teasing, dude. Don't report me.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Even the teen knows the protocol. We'll see if she destroys the mailbox on the way out.
IMG_20160419_202558.jpg
IMG_20160419_202558.jpg (227.38 KiB) Viewed 1195 times
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

A_B wrote:
mister d wrote:"Oh look, the volunteer traffic cop is now also volunteer parking enforcement, what a fucking dick" is something they definitely didn't say when you called.
You know they didn't ask for any information at all. I assume they had a phone number show up, but it is registered under my work's company name.
My department doesn't have caller ID on our nonemergency lines. If you don't give us your information, we don't have it.

Also, this was a completely reasonable thing to report. It is their job to triage the calls; you're not going to delay response to something more critical with your suspicious vehicle complaint.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

So fuck what I assume to be one person in my neighboorhood. There's little piles of dog shit accumulating around a lightpole next to where I park my car each night. All similar piles, and I assume dogs can be creatures of habit. Why can't you pick up your dogshit you fucking reject? I don't even begin to know about how to catch them.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Get some gloves, spell out "FUCK YOU" with the turds.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You could tape a note to the light post that says "Your dog does nice shits thank you for them". Most normal people would atleast think "ok, someone's noticed" and move on to another spot.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 8:40 am You could tape a note to the light post that says "Your dog does nice shits thank you for them". Most normal people would atleast think "ok, someone's noticed" and move on to another spot.

OOOOOH. I probably won't use "shit" but I like this route.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

We lived in an apartment surrounded by mostly college students when we first moved to town that had a nice .5 mile loop where everyone would jog/walk their dog. When the snow melted in spring it was easy to see that many residents had not picked up during their walks. One day we came out to find all the dog shit had been spray painted orange and there were maybe 50 signs along the side of the road telling people to don't be lazy and pick up their shit. This continued all summer. The colors even changed to yellow and then red. We moved after a year or so and it was still being painted. I should really drive through that neighborhood and see if the shit painter is still on the job.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

We can debate what time is appropriate to cut your grass. But we can all agree that 730 on a Saturday is too early, right?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Unless they’re using scissors, yes.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

A_B wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:47 am We can debate what time is appropriate to cut your grass. But we can all agree that 730 on a Saturday is too early, right?
100%.

Renos have been going on in my neighbourhood for a while. Sometimes roofers and others start at 6:30 or so in the morning.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh yes. Way too early. I'm trying to think of the exact times, but German villages had a specific timeframe of when one could cut grass so that you didn't affect quiet hours.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m pretty sure my town has an 8:00 AM rule.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 11:17 am I’m pretty sure my town has an 8:00 AM rule.
My town has an 8:00 am rule, too. Which is important, in a town where there currently is a remodel ongoing on almost every single block (no exaggeration), and less than half the people cut their own grass. (Damn right, I do!)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Oh man, chalk up another one in Las Vegas' favor. If you can't have grass in your yard, no way you're getting woken up early in the morning.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

brian wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:23 pm Oh man, chalk up another one in Las Vegas' favor. If you can't have grass in your yard, no way you're getting woken up early in the morning.

Xeriscape is life.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian is going to have to bite his tongue the next time a neighbor gets a dumptruck full of front “lawn” delivered at 7am on a mild winter day.

And yeah, us East coast liberals have noise ordinances.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

It woke up three of the four people in he house. Two of those got back to sleep. The other one needed an extra coffee.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

rass wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 4:29 pm brian is going to have to bite his tongue the next time a neighbor gets a dumptruck full of front “lawn” delivered at 7am on a mild winter day.

And yeah, us East coast liberals have noise ordinances.
Is that something I complained about? Because I can totally seen that (though I’ve had it done at my house too).
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I’m up early, the yard’s pretty big, the sun’s been up for like 3 hours and it’s gonna be 97 degrees soon. Fuck you, I won’t mow when they tell me.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm I’m up early, the yard’s pretty big, the sun’s been up for like 3 hours and it’s gonna be 97 degrees soon. Fuck you, I won’t mow when they tell me.
This is the correct answer. The only good time for mowing, or any other yard work, during the sweltering summers we get in St. Louis is around 7 or 8 a.m.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 6:46 pm I’m up early, the yard’s pretty big, the sun’s been up for like 3 hours and it’s gonna be 97 degrees soon. Fuck you, I won’t mow when they tell me.
Mowing in the name of...
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Toros on Parade
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Ryan wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:55 pmToros on Parade