Guns: Infinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Pruitt
The Dude

Re: Guns: Infinity

Post by Pruitt »

Gun Violence in Chicago Not Improving

17 murders in three days. 92 so far this year with another 400 wounded.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

My cousin is going to get hired by an airline and Chicago is a place he's high in consideration for. He told me he has to drop all of his guns at my place before he moves there.

It's fucking bullshit considering stats like that. I'm sure he'll live in a decent area, but I'll still be worried.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Johnnie wrote:My cousin is going to get hired by an airline and Chicago is a place he's high in consideration for. He told me he has to drop all of his guns at my place before he moves there.

It's fucking bullshit considering stats like that. I'm sure he'll live in a decent area, but I'll still be worried.
From my understanding, it's very confined. I have a buddy who lives about a mile from where a lot of this violence happens and he says he never feels unsafe.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

Giff wrote:
Johnnie wrote:My cousin is going to get hired by an airline and Chicago is a place he's high in consideration for. He told me he has to drop all of his guns at my place before he moves there.

From my understanding, it's very confined. I have a buddy who lives about a mile from where a lot of this violence happens and he says he never feels unsafe.
I believe St. Louis has a higher per capita rate of gun violence than Chicago and that's certainly true here. The violence is heavily concentrated in several particularly dangerous neighborhoods. Although there have been shootings within about a half mile from me, I'm really not concerned about my neighborhood and would never buy a gun here.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Joe K wrote:
Giff wrote:

I believe St. Louis has a higher per capita rate of gun violence than Chicago and that's certainly true here. The violence is heavily concentrated in several particularly dangerous neighborhoods. Although there have been shootings within about a half mile from me, I'm really not concerned about my neighborhood and would never buy a gun here.
I don't know how this weekend's stats have affected things, but I don't know if Chicago is even in the top-10 in murders per capita.

But I think that is misleading in the other direction. Chicago is very very segregated. You have the black areas and the Hispanic areas and the white areas. I don't know how the shootings are apportioned between the black and Hispanic areas, but they really aren't happening in the white areas. So just like Chicago's size makes the number of killings appear worse, the population in the white areas makes the per capita rate appear better.

I'm curious to see what the murder rate-per-resident-in-the-violent-areas is, and how that rate compares to the murder-rate-per-resident-in-the-violent-areas of other cities.

Also, I have read statements saying that the after the Laquan McDonald shooting happened, or became notorious, the arrest rate by Chicago cops went *way* down, and the murder/shooting rate went way up. I don't know if that has been confirmed, though.

Either way, though, your cousin and everyone around him will be several times safer if he leaves his guns with you than if he takes them with him. Of course, that applies to just about every situation.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Steve of phpBB wrote:Either way, though, your cousin and everyone around him will be several times safer if he leaves his guns with you than if he takes them with him. Of course, that applies to just about every situation.
I know what you mean, but that reads like my cousin is shitty with firearms.

Considering his past of actually being shot at and his vehicle (not him or his passenger, thank goodness) being hit on the highway in Phoenix, he'll beg to differ on your assessment. He didn't have his gun on him in that situation and he's more apt to be near a weapon these days.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:
Steve of phpBB wrote:Either way, though, your cousin and everyone around him will be several times safer if he leaves his guns with you than if he takes them with him. Of course, that applies to just about every situation.
I know what you mean, but that reads like my cousin is shitty with firearms.

Considering his past of actually being shot at and his vehicle (not him or his passenger, thank goodness) being hit on the highway in Phoenix, he'll beg to differ on your assessment. He didn't have his gun on him in that situation and he's more apt to be near a weapon these days.
It doesn't mean that he is "shitty" with firearms. It means that he is "imperfect" with firearms.

And if he is relying on a story about his car being hit while he was on a highway in Phoenix, he is making my point. Would his having a gun prevented the person from shooting at the highway in the first place? If not, then the only thing a gun would have done is given him the ability to shoot back - which would require him to stop, see who was shooting, make sure he would not hit anyone else with his shot, and also make sure that if he shot back, the guy who took the first shot would not shoot again.

That's safer that just continuing to drive?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Certainly more bad ass than continuing to drive.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote:Certainly more bad ass than continuing to drive.
Dale Earnhardt's motto
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Ryan wrote:
mister d wrote:Certainly more bad ass than continuing to drive.
Dale Earnhardt's motto
Something something wall opens for Batman something
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Oh cool. The argument that everyone else's guns are magically going to disappear when a person isn't allowed to bring firearms to their new potential residence.

And while in that instance he would be an idiot to shoot back, and I agree, the reality is there are other people with firearms that may want to kill you, so be prepared was my point.

You know why I bought my first gun? Because there I was at my residence one day in a very calm, quiet neighborhood in Bossier City when out of fucking nowhere while I was sleeping a woman burst in and said, in hysterics, "HE HAS A GUN AND HE'S GOING TO FUCKING KILL ME." I had a mag lite in the event the dude followed her. I used to be anti-gun and then I was faced with a situation where I needed one.

I'm not going to die because a tweaker having an episode has decided that everything is a great target for a shotgun. And neither does my cousin.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnnie wrote:Oh cool. The argument that everyone else's guns are magically going to disappear when a person isn't allowed to bring firearms to their new potential residence.
No, it's the argument that even if other peoples' guns don't magically disappear, it is still more dangerous to you, in almost every situation people face in real life, to have a gun than not to have a gun. Because the danger you face from *not* having a gun, from tweakers or whatever, is basically zero.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Rex
The Dude

Post by Rex »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So...do they bang her head off the side of the ship instead of a champagne bottle? Just wondering.

Edit:
...named after former Arizona congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords who was injured during a 2011 shooting.
That's in the initial paragraph of the article. Her being shot in the head is noted towards the end, but you'd think that would be stated in the initial paragraph.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Hurr durr muh rights your dead children hurr durr cold dead hands hurr durr muh Constitution hurr durr tyrannical gubment.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I guess when you skip past the "not the right time to talk about it" shit, it's pretty easy to handle, after all.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Hundreds of schools in the Denver area and beyond are closed today and I see people including lawmakers that say we need more "good guys with guns".

So let's risk a shootout at a school instead of addressing how this person was able to obtain a gun so easily in the first place. According to what has been released, flew into Denver, went to a gun store and bought a shotgun and ammo. Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period? Background check?

But yeah, more gun control... What a crazy fucking idea.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

phxgators wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 amAccording to what has been released, flew into Denver, went to a gun store and bought a shotgun and ammo. Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period? Background check?
It probably varies from state to state, but at least in Ohio, you can buy a gun and ammo and get them on the same day. There is a federally required background check, but I don't know exactly what it checks. I assume it checks for previous felonies, outstanding warrants or any federal lists that prevent gun ownership. The last time I bought a gun (which was 3-4 years ago), I think the whole process took about 15 minutes.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

I got this from my kids high school yesterday. It counts towards their 'public service' hours.

So we can't do anything about guns, but we can train 14 year olds on how to treat the wounded in a "mass casualties event".
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:47 am
phxgators wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:38 amAccording to what has been released, flew into Denver, went to a gun store and bought a shotgun and ammo. Isn't there supposed to be a waiting period? Background check?
It probably varies from state to state, but at least in Ohio, you can buy a gun and ammo and get them on the same day. There is a federally required background check, but I don't know exactly what it checks. I assume it checks for previous felonies, outstanding warrants or any federal lists that prevent gun ownership. The last time I bought a gun (which was 3-4 years ago), I think the whole process took about 15 minutes.
Took me less than an hour to buy my shotgun in Indiana. Only caveat was I was not permitted to buy ammo in the same transaction. They would have done nothing had a I walked out, put the gun in my truck, walked back in, and purchased shells.

Not that a whole lot of rampages are happening with a 26" barrel shotgun and a bunch of target load but you get my idea here.

Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Colorado is still "the West" to a lot of people not in the Front Range.

IIRC, they tried to impeach a state senator that voted for slightly tighter gun laws a few weeks back.

CU is open, but we have an "increased police presence," though I didn't see any on my way across campus this AM.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Aaaand she's dead
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

She's Dead

But it's ridiculous that she could buy weapons in Littleton even though she was from out of state.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Cash all looks the same.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

Long guns are cash and carry in CO. Handguns need to go through the clearing house.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

On the earlier discussion on murder rates in Chicago. I did the math on my county a couple of years ago* and we were significantly higher per capita. Lots of white, black, and Latino shootings/murders here. In that respect mostly rural Alabama is non-discriminatory. Probably not when it comes to sentencing though.

*after I was on a jury that convicted someone for murder.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:55 am
Sabo wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:47 am
Took me less than an hour to buy my shotgun in Indiana. Only caveat was I was not permitted to buy ammo in the same transaction. They would have done nothing had a I walked out, put the gun in my truck, walked back in, and purchased shells.

Not that a whole lot of rampages are happening with a 26" barrel shotgun and a bunch of target load but you get my idea here.
Maybe it's because I'm military and have a concealed carry license, but I can buy a gun in like 10 minutes. 8 of that is me deciding which brand and model I like. (That includes on base. The BX has an awesome selection and can special order anything. Plus it's tax free.)

Arizona and New Mexico are very gun friendly despite wildly different political views.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is going to get some traction this week for sure:

TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

This is the least surprising article in the history of houston rap
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

In N.R.A. Power Struggle, Insurgents Seek to Oust Wayne LaPierre
INDIANAPOLIS — Turmoil wracking the National Rifle Association is threatening to turn the group’s annual convention into outright civil war, as insurgents maneuver to oust Wayne LaPierre, the foremost voice of the American gun rights movement.

The confrontation pits Mr. LaPierre, the organization’s longtime chief executive, against its recently installed president, Oliver L. North, the central figure in the Reagan-era Iran-contra affair, who remains a hero to many on the right.

Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status. With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.

Mr. North asked Mr. LaPierre to resign on Wednesday, according to documents reviewed by The New York Times. He said he had also created a committee to review allegations of financial improprieties that threaten the N.R.A.’s status as a nonprofit organization.

But Mr. LaPierre, in a stinging letter sent on Thursday night to the N.R.A.’s board, accused Mr. North of threatening to leak damaging information about him and other N.R.A. executives unless he stepped down.

“Yesterday evening, I was forced to confront one of those defining choices — styled, in the parlance of extortionists — as an offer I couldn’t refuse,” Mr. LaPierre wrote. “I refused it.”
A fight between Oliver North and Wayne LaPierre? Can we root for both of them to lose?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 5:30 pm In N.R.A. Power Struggle, Insurgents Seek to Oust Wayne LaPierre
INDIANAPOLIS — Turmoil wracking the National Rifle Association is threatening to turn the group’s annual convention into outright civil war, as insurgents maneuver to oust Wayne LaPierre, the foremost voice of the American gun rights movement.

The confrontation pits Mr. LaPierre, the organization’s longtime chief executive, against its recently installed president, Oliver L. North, the central figure in the Reagan-era Iran-contra affair, who remains a hero to many on the right.

Behind it is a widening crisis involving a legal battle between the N.R.A. and its most influential contractor, Ackerman McQueen, amid renewed threats from regulators in New York, where the N.R.A. is chartered, to investigate the group’s tax-exempt status. With contributions lagging, the N.R.A. is also facing an increasingly well-financed gun control movement, motivated by a string of mass shootings.

Mr. North asked Mr. LaPierre to resign on Wednesday, according to documents reviewed by The New York Times. He said he had also created a committee to review allegations of financial improprieties that threaten the N.R.A.’s status as a nonprofit organization.

But Mr. LaPierre, in a stinging letter sent on Thursday night to the N.R.A.’s board, accused Mr. North of threatening to leak damaging information about him and other N.R.A. executives unless he stepped down.

“Yesterday evening, I was forced to confront one of those defining choices — styled, in the parlance of extortionists — as an offer I couldn’t refuse,” Mr. LaPierre wrote. “I refused it.”
A fight between Oliver North and Wayne LaPierre? Can we root for both of them to lose?
Great God almighty I'd love to see this convention turn into a gunfight.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

In true NRA fashion, I bet their convention is a gun free zone.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm In true NRA fashion, I bet their convention is a gun free zone.
I know it was last year.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:54 pm
Johnnie wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 8:26 pm In true NRA fashion, I bet their convention is a gun free zone.
I know it was last year.
Never been so excited to avoid downtown for a weekend.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Looks like Ollie failed to usurp and is stepping down.

There's an Iran Contra joke in here somewhere.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is America.

phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

I can hear the arriving sirens for this here at work... Wife and I toured the school last year as we were looking at middle school options for our oldest.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

He's gotta point...