Guns: Infinity

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Re: Guns: Infinity

Post by P.D.X. »

Has this Gladwell article been posted Swampside already?

Thresholds of Violence; How school shootings catch on

He uses the "riot theory" of how people who normally wouldn't do something extreme can be encouraged by others' preceding actions. Pretty applicable to general mass shootings and domestic terrorist acts as well, imho. (And punches a pretty big hole in the "it would've happened anyway without easy access to guns" predictable arguments.)
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

mister d wrote:is a person carrying a weapon in public only a threat if not white?
Of course we know the answer to this...
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Pretty intense stuff from POTUS today...

And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:Pretty intense stuff from POTUS today...

This is going to make political websites and Johnnie's FaceBook unreadable for awhile. Johnnie, block Jarvis ASAP. I hope you aren't good friends with Emory. I may lose my cordiality if he responds again. I got a good laugh out of Jarvis accusing someone else of making every issue about race. That's like the Glock calling the AR-15 black, ammirite?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I love how the loonies are saying this is "coming for their guns" when it's nothing of the kind. It's simply enforcing the laws as they exist. It might be harder (or ideally impossible) to buy a gun from an unlicensed dealer or on the black market, but I'd like a gun owner to explain to me how that's a bad thing.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

I mean the response to that is so damn predictable it's not even funny. Obama appealing to emotion and ignoring facts to further his agenda. He did say other things though. I'm just saying...his indignation over this seems genuine.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Jarvis ain't shit. And Emory is a Redneck USAF retiree living in podunk Shreveport.

I just have to accept the fact that I have idiots as friends. I could delete all the King Obummer haters, but then I just surround myself with a choir that preaches back and forth. It makes for less drama (except with each person's respective sports teams), but doesn't open me to differing opinions.

Even if all of theirs are dead wrong.

In other news, Andrea Tantaros is a fucking cunt.

(Also, I hope these actions spark discussion. They don't really do too much to move the needle. It just riles the GOP because they're easy to troll. Though I would like to know which website I can buy a gun from. That doesn't necessarily pass the smell test with me. I'm not saying it's a lie, but I haven't seen anything but person to person sales online, not vendor to patron.)
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Johnnie wrote:Jarvis ain't shit. And Emory is a Redneck USAF retiree living in podunk Shreveport.

I just have to accept the fact that I have idiots as friends. I could delete all the King Obummer haters, but then I just surround myself with a choir that preaches back and forth. It makes for less drama (except with each person's respective sports teams), but doesn't open me to differing opinions.

Even if all of theirs are dead wrong.

In other news, Andrea Tantaros is a fucking cunt.

(Also, I hope these actions spark discussion. They don't really do too much to move the needle. It just riles the GOP because they're easy to troll. Though I would like to know which website I can buy a gun from. That doesn't necessarily pass the smell test with me. I'm not saying it's a lie, but I haven't seen anything but person to person sales online, not vendor to patron.)
My father in law bought one from a vendor but had to pick it up at a local gun store, I beleive.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:Though I would like to know which website I can buy a gun from. That doesn't necessarily pass the smell test with me. I'm not saying it's a lie, but I haven't seen anything but person to person sales online, not vendor to patron.)
As far as I've always understood this, you may buy parts for a gun, but you may not buy a gun over the internet. You have to have an FFL for that, as well as for specialty parts (suppressors, etc).
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I wonder how S+W and Ruger stocks did in response to this? Obama is the best salesman the gun industry could ever imagine.

I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm saying what is. This will result in more guns being sold and entering our society. Book it.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

BSF21 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:Though I would like to know which website I can buy a gun from. That doesn't necessarily pass the smell test with me. I'm not saying it's a lie, but I haven't seen anything but person to person sales online, not vendor to patron.)
As far as I've always understood this, you may buy parts for a gun, but you may not buy a gun over the internet. You have to have an FFL for that, as well as for specialty parts (suppressors, etc).
You can buy a gun through the Internet, but the seller can't ship it directly to you. Instead, the seller has to ship it to another FFL holder. You still have to fill out the same paperwork you would fill out if you buy a gun at a store. I bought my first handgun from an online store, and frankly, it was more of a hassle to get it that way than to go to a local shop and buy it there.

You can buy gun parts, ammo, reloading supplies, etc. and have them shipped to your home. But what you can't buy online and have shipped to your home is the serialized part of the firearm, which is usually the receiver. Selling the serialized part is what requires an FFL transfer.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:I love how the loonies are saying this is "coming for their guns" when it's nothing of the kind. It's simply enforcing the laws as they exist. It might be harder (or ideally impossible) to buy a gun from an unlicensed dealer or on the black market, but I'd like a gun owner to explain to me how that's a bad thing.
Everything is "coming for my guns" to those douchebags.

They are a lowest common denominator that has been pandered to. Like whining brats full of entitlement. They want a bazooka? Well, why the hell not?

This is so far beyond any issue of personal freedoms, or government overstepping its bounds. Hell, one of the reasons why governments exist is to protect its citizens, even when they are too stupid to see beyond their own personal desires.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I bet if there wasn't tremendous personal profit involved, the NRA would fight just as hard because its the 2nd amendment that's of foremost importance to them!
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:I bet if there wasn't tremendous personal profit involved, the NRA would fight just as hard because its the 2nd amendment that's of foremost importance to them!
Ha!

I watched the entire speech, and damn Obama can bring it sometimes. I have no doubt he was genuine. He spent time with the parents of Sandy Hook very shortly after their 6 year old children were gunned down. How can that not effect you? Obama was extremely measured and rational, but what is the point? The Right is going to shit on him regardless of what he says or does, most won't actually watch the entire speech, but will rail against what they are told Obama said. I really don't see much Obama said that could be argued with. I love how he pointed out that what he is looking for is exactly what W, John McCain and the NRA called for prior to the NRA propaganda of Obama taking our guns.

Howard, S&W stock was up 11% today, hitting an all-time high of $25.86. Last year at this time, it traded at $9.93. So stupid not to think to short the stock.
-Pruitt
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

The Sybian wrote:Howard, S&W stock was up 11% today, hitting an all-time high of $25.86. Last year at this time, it traded at $9.93. So stupid not to think to short the stock.
Headquartered in Springfield, Massachusetts. I bet MA enjoys the tax dollars.

I just find it hysterical that facing the Turnpike while walking toward Fenway is the most ridiculous piece of anti gun propaganda. I've posted it in this thread before.

But hey, money doesn't care about your dead kids.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

#bengayzi

Laughed until I cried.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This is impressive:

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I tool on WMU and Kalamazoo but fuck...that's basically where I grew up. Damn it
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

brian wrote:I tool on WMU and Kalamazoo but fuck...that's basically where I grew up. Damn it
Man...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I might have a little sympathy if he blames the HHR.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

And it turns out of those killed is a friend of a friend of mine. Fuck.

ETA: And another was the mother of a girl I went to high school with. Jesus.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Fuck. Sorry to hear and don't read above.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

So sorry to hear this.

What a fucking lunatic.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sorry brian.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I didn't personally know either of them so don't want to make it about me. It's just hard to believe someone can gun down four people from your small(ish) hometown in like 30 seconds and the collective response from most of the country is more or less a yawn. Think about how fucked that is. Even some people in favor of gun control from other places are thinking "well it's 'only' six people". That's where are at this point.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

• New grading system ranges from A to A+++
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

howard wrote:I wonder how S+W and Ruger stocks did in response to this? Obama is the best salesman the gun industry could ever imagine.

I'm not saying right or wrong, I'm saying what is. This will result in more guns being sold and entering our society. Book it.

Smith and Wesson was actually one of the best performing stocks of the decade right before Obama was elected (tho it crashed hard in 08 with everything else). Looks like they are back up at that level currently.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

rass wrote:
To be fair, these are all pretty standard on modern campuses even when guns aren't factored in.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Yep, they just recycled their seminar on dealing with periods
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Moreta
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Moreta »

Ryan wrote:Yep, they just recycled their seminar on dealing with periods
Fuck you.

(I'm not insulted and laughed, but I felt the need to object on behalf of the rest of us, so to speak.)
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Moreta wrote:
Ryan wrote:Yep, they just recycled their seminar on dealing with periods
Fuck you.

(I'm not insulted and laughed, but I felt the need to object on behalf of the rest of us, so to speak.)
My fault for "going there"
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I just reread the slide and the implications are terrifying... "Drop certain topics from your curriculum."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: I just reread the slide and the implications are terrifying... "Drop certain topics from your curriculum."
Texas has already dropped topics like science and factual US history from the curriculum of elementary and high schools, so why not public universities?
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

This could have gone in the Florida or Ohio thread and probably in the Irony Thread as well.

Gun Advocate Shot By Her 4 Year Old
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Pruitt wrote:This could have gone in the Florida or Ohio thread and probably in the Irony Thread as well.

That's like watching someone fuck with a wild animal, turn back to their friends and say "don't worry she loves it when I do this", and that animal proceeding to maul the shit out of them
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote:This could have gone in the Florida or Ohio thread and probably in the Irony Thread as well.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Or the schaudenfreude thread (if we have one).

Won't ever happen in Florida but she should be charged with any number of violations of gun laws and stripped of her rights to own a gun.