Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Brontoburglar
The Dude

Guns: Infinity

Post by Brontoburglar »

Possibly up to 14 stabbed at a college

Of course, had this been a gun...
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Guns: Infinity

Post by Gunpowder »

A mass motherf-ing stabbing? Jeez.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Knowing nothing about this story except the headline, stabbing spree in the state of Texas = irony, right?

ETA: prior shooting incident at the same school---three persons injured. Stabbing incident---eleven persons injured.

dere's yer proof.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Anyone going for the large straight in Lone Star College System Mass Attack Yahtzee?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think everyone should carry knives so if someone comes up to you with a knife you can use your knife to kill their knife and no one else will die and you'll be a hero.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
ZMan
Brandt

Post by ZMan »

You can't outrun a bullet, but most everyone should be able to outrun a knife.
Orange Whip? Orange Whip? Three Orange Whips!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

How's mister d doing??
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Supposedly this is the attacker, the photo taken by one of his alleged subduers who added a nice caption:

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Brontoburglar wrote:Possibly up to 14 stabbed at a college

Of course, had this been a gun...
Then a bunch of people would've been poked annoyingly by a rather blunt object?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I was waiting for this thread to be brought back up. I was reading that while Obama was making a plea for more control, McConnell was saying that anything put forth would be filibustered. Seems like we've settled into a position where nothing will ever change except the prices of ammo and arms.

Did anyone else see the forced viral video on Facebook where the fake congressman on a fake set in front of a fake Congress made some really great points! /sarcasm Everyone seemed to be sharing that.

Then the was the general unawareness of Feinstein wanting to ban nearly everything. That was comical.

This issue, like all others, will stagnate in the miasma of suck.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Johnnie wrote:This issue, like all others, will stagnate in the miasma of suck.
You are starting to catch on. That puts you ahead of nearly everyone else.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ginger!!!
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
devilfluff
Brandt

Post by devilfluff »

rass wrote:Ginger!!!
It takes someone with no soul to stab 14 people.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Only a ginger can call another ginger, ginger.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Ginger!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
testy boxcar
Maude Lebowski

Post by testy boxcar »

ginger!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Jurrjens!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Jerloma wrote:
How many damned Gingers are we harboring in this place?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

The Sybian wrote:
Jerloma wrote:
How many damned Gingers are we harboring in this place?
Have you people learned nothing about oppression?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Did you guys watch that stupid Jim Carrey parody called "Cold Dead Hand" and then the absolutely predictable nuclear overreaction from the FOX News puppets? Good times.

Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

This dude Colion Noir is probably one of the best pro gun voices, but hey, Ted Nugent and Wayne LaPierre get pageviews.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I grew up around guns and almost everybody I knew hunted, so I get that viewpoint to a degree. But I don't understand the knee-jerk opposition to any limitation, such asthe senators who now plan to filibuster against the new proposal to expand criminal background checksto purchases at gun shows and online purchases. This isn't about prohibiting guns - just about trying to make it a bit harder for criminals to obtain them. I have my own libertarian tendencies and I don't favor needless government oversight, but I just don't understand the opposition here.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote:But I don't understand the knee-jerk opposition to any limitation, such as the senators who now plan to filibuster against the new proposal to expand criminal background checksto purchases at gun shows and online purchases..
It's simple. Liberals want gun control. Conservatives oppose liberals.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Scottie
Donny

Post by Scottie »

Steve of phpBB wrote:It's simple. Liberals want gun control. Conservatives oppose liberals.
You forgot to add "and liberals hate America".
Your own personal AR-15 wielding Jesus
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Does he say which baseball team is his favorite in either of those videos?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

I understand the knee-jerk opposition/support of anything to do with guns. But no one is interested in the explanation (money, emotional validation, votes).

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

(money, fear) would have worked for me.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

On background checks:

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:On background checks:

That wasn't the most persuasive of arguments.
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Honestly, for you folks who are for it, nothing will be.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Honestly, for you folks who are for it, nothing will be.
That's the attitude!

But yeah, if your only argument is that criminals won't play along, then you're gonna always lose that argument.

Why outlaw rape, it's not like rapists are gonna check the local statutes first!

Why check IDs to buy beer - teenagers are always going to get their cousin to buy it for them!
Totally Kafkaesque
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Cool. So now in your mind not wanting to register a gun nationally is on par as an illegal activity as rape and underage drinking.

:-/

Good job.
Hodor
Jackie Treehorn

Post by Hodor »

Hodor
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Hodor wrote:Hodor
*ding*ding*ding*ding*ding!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Throwing my hat in the ring here because I gotta back my man Johnnie (partly).

I really don't think that any sane gun owner objects to a waiting period or a background check. Hell I welcome it. When I bought my last shotgun, I went to the Gander Mtn. across the street. I was there an hour. I filled out some paperwork. I walked out with a shotgun.

- Yes, I know that this is not the same as buying a handgun
- Yes, I know that it is difficult to conceal a 12ga Pump Action shotgun with a 26" barrel inside clothing

However, fact of the matter is, as much as I wanted that gun, it was even a little unsettling for me as to how easy it was to obtain it. I could have walked out to my car, grabbed a box of shells, and immediately decided I was not satisfied with my customer service. Waiting periods are important. They allow cooler heads to prevail when possible. NOTHING you do is going to prevent gun violence 100%.

Outlaw guns entirely?
- Sure, good luck on that one. I'm not sure of the exact number but there is something like 2 REGISTERED guns for every adult in the US. It will NEVER happen. Nor should it.

How about we look at some practical ideas?

Banning "high capacity magazines"
- If you honestly think this is going to curb any violence whatsoever, please show yourself out. Asinine in the highest regard. If you honestly stop and think how is this going to change gun violence in the long haul?

Banning "assault rifles"
- Please stop using this term because a gun looks scary. I have asked several people about this. What they think about "assault rifles". The typical response? "You have to ban them. You can't have people out there with guns that shoot continuously." Then the inevitable "whaaaa?" when you tell them that doesn't consitiute an "assault rifle" and that none of the publicized shootings as of late have had anything to do with fully automatic weapons.

----This brings us to our next point, education. It is my firm belief that most of the bias on this issue stems from the fact that guns scare the vast majority of the public. YES. Guns are dangerous. So is bleach and every household in America has it in their laundry room. We know how to use bleach. We know we shouldn't mix it with other chemicals. We know it is caustic if it touches organic material. Most people have no earthly idea how to operate a firearm. And they know it is dangerous. So they fear it. That fear drives these kind of panics and overarching statements about the kind of people gun owners are. If you have the opportunity, go to a range. Have a friend show you how to strip, assemble, load, and fire a weapon. It is great knowledge to have, just like how to tie a few good knots, or start a fire if need be.

There are 6 guns in this house right now. And some bleach.

I get that guns are scary. But the fact of the matter is the same on both accounts. 99.99% of us enjoy firearms. I love the mechanics of a gun. I am drawn to how it operates. How it is designed. What could make it better or worse. I get an engineering stiffy from it. I also love to shoot for sport. That is who this bias and crackdown effects the most. I haven't been able to shoot a pistol for 4 months. The media/legislature has put people into such a panic that ammunition is completely unavailable and has caused hoarding to take place. It sucks. It is a pastime of mine. Just like some of you may enjoy biking, or golfing, or fishing, I enjoy shooting. My hobby is in jeopardy of being taken away from me because of a few asshats. It really bothers me if you can't tell.

Please don't pigeonhole all of us. The overwhelming majority of us are law abiding citizens with a hobby. Or have children that we would do anything for. Or are tech nuts who want to know how everything in the world works.

As an owner, I invite closing the show loophole. I welcome thorough background checks. I'm fine with waiting a week or two to have a new firearm. I'm all for oversight, however you can ask Howard how government oversight works. But as far as you telling me I can't have a .223 Bushmaster because it looks like that scary gun that killed some people? That is childish. Telling me I'm not responsible enough to account for 15 rounds in my magazine? Unacceptable. Gun owners are not against regulation (at least not sane ones) but most of us are of the opinion that we are headed down a slick slope that is out of our hands. I really believe that is why there is such an uproar. There is legitimate fear that a magazine limit will lead to a caliber limit, and a caliber limit will lead to a hard # limit, and eventually the stripping of any right to possess a gun. I know it seems far fetched, but when you are on this side of the debate and you see the news and hear how generally uneducated people are, it is a scary and real thought.

Probably needs are TL;DR, but dammit I needed to get that out. Thanks for reading if you did.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Johnnie wrote:Cool. So now in your mind not wanting to register a gun nationally is on par as an illegal activity as rape and underage drinking.

:-/

Good job.
Jesus, Johnnie. You aren't very good at this arguing thing.
Totally Kafkaesque
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

BSF - I'm not sure you are supporting Johnnie's argument. His last post was in support of the argument AGAINST the new proposed background checks on gun purchases at gun shows and online. You seem to support background checks (as do I.)
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I like some of your points, Big Sweaty Freak 21. I'd use a different word for F but the Swamp is sensitive to it.
BSF21 wrote:They allow cooler heads to prevail when possible. NOTHING you do is going to prevent gun violence 100%.
I agree with that.

Outlaw guns entirely?
- Sure, good luck on that one. I'm not sure of the exact number but there is something like 2 REGISTERED guns for every adult in the US. It will NEVER happen. Nor should it.
And that.

Banning "high capacity magazines"
- If you honestly think this is going to curb any violence whatsoever, please show yourself out. Asinine in the highest regard. If you honestly stop and think how is this going to change gun violence in the long haul?
Why not? I don't think it would turn shootings into not-shootings, but I think the idea is to limit the amount of kills that you could obtain on a rampage.

Banning "assault rifles"
- Please stop using this term because a gun looks scary. I have asked several people about this. What they think about "assault rifles". The typical response? "You have to ban them. You can't have people out there with guns that shoot continuously." Then the inevitable "whaaaa?" when you tell them that doesn't consitiute an "assault rifle" and that none of the publicized shootings as of late have had anything to do with fully automatic weapons.
I agree with your caricature of a lot of these type of people, but I do think that the "handguns only" crowd has some merit. I don't see the need necessarily for assault rifles, but they are fun to shoot. If there is a practical need, I'm receptive to being educated on it. Would I ban them if I were prez? No.

----This brings us to our next point, education. It is my firm belief that most of the bias on this issue stems from the fact that guns scare the vast majority of the public. YES. Guns are dangerous. So is bleach and every household in America has it in their laundry room. We know how to use bleach. We know we shouldn't mix it with other chemicals. We know it is caustic if it touches organic material. Most people have no earthly idea how to operate a firearm. And they know it is dangerous. So they fear it. That fear drives these kind of panics and overarching statements about the kind of people gun owners are. If you have the opportunity, go to a range. Have a friend show you how to strip, assemble, load, and fire a weapon. It is great knowledge to have, just like how to tie a few good knots, or start a fire if need be.
This I'm not with. Yeah, I get that people are overtly scared of guns, but bleach? You can't carry a gallon of bleach into a school and kill 12 people with it.

Please don't pigeonhole all of us. The overwhelming majority of us are law abiding citizens with a hobby. Or have children that we would do anything for. Or are tech nuts who want to know how everything in the world works.
I don't think anyone's arguing that. I just think it's a recent overreaction to an unfortunate spate of mass-shootings in the U.S. recently, but...there are 350 million people in this country. Some are crazy. It's tough to stop every bad thing from happening.

There is legitimate fear that a magazine limit will lead to a caliber limit, and a caliber limit will lead to a hard # limit, and eventually the stripping of any right to possess a gun. I know it seems far fetched, but when you are on this side of the debate and you see the news and hear how generally uneducated people are, it is a scary and real thought.
I can certainly see the slippery slope argument.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

I like your points BSF. However, I group guns in the same area as cars, nuclear weapons, matches, and the internet. They are great if used properly, but in the hands of an asshole they are deadly. If we have a few less of them around for the idiots that's great. I'm all for inconveniencing someone if it means less violence.

Just in the past few months we've had these shootings within 30 minutes my home in the middle of bumblefuck nowhere:
4 dead, 3 troopers hurt in shootings http://www.altoonamirror.com/page/conte ... 67048.html

2 dead after murder-suicide at Philipsburg area supermarket http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/28/3 ... rylink=cpy

Police: Man fatally shoots young son, injures estranged wife in Huntingdon County then kills himself http://www.centredaily.com/2013/03/24/3 ... oting.html
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That guy's young son should have bleached his dad before he could shoot.

(I'm allergic to bleach.)