Welcome NHL Las Vegas

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Welcome NHL Las Vegas

Post by brian »

mister d wrote: Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:16 am Sounds like Vegas is betting he doesn’t reach that goal mark again.
Right, which is the safe/smart bet. But if he does, he's gonna have to get paid big-time.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And they can cover that, so probably agree it makes sense.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vegas' ECHL affiliate (Quad City) folded, so it looks like the new affiliate is going to be Fort Wayne. Personally, I think it's cool as shit. I remember going to see an occasional game at the War Memorial back in the day.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

So VGK had a season ticket holder pre-sale today for regular season tickets where season ticket holders could buy some extra tickets for a game if they wanted and I thought I'd maybe pick up a couple extra tickets for the Red Wings game in March.

I navigate to that game and see there's tickets available in our section, but a few rows higher up and think that'll be perfect and guess how much they wanted per ticket? I'll wait.

$225. EACH. Before the BS ticket fees. For essentially a random regular season game. I honestly thought they fucked up and left the Stanley Cup Finals pricing in there so I sent an email to our ticket rep and he said everything was correct.

Who the fuck in their right mind would pay that? Even with the crazy demand last year our tickets were "only" selling on the secondary market for about $150-$170 each for even peak games like Chicago or Pittsburgh. (They're about $60 each per ticket face.)

Guess I can't begrudge them trying to make a buck, especially if morons are willing to pay it but god damn.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

brian wrote: Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:42 pm Vegas' ECHL affiliate (Quad City) folded, so it looks like the new affiliate is going to be Fort Wayne. Personally, I think it's cool as shit. I remember going to see an occasional game at the War Memorial back in the day.

Fuck the Komets. :)
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 11:43 amGuess I can't begrudge them trying to make a buck, especially if morons are willing to pay it but god damn.
If they fall back to earth, that could tremendously backfire.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah, though it may not matter this year. But it’s not a good look regardless. I really don’t understand why anyone would pay it. Even if they hit near their O/U on points this season (96) for what would be a fairly average season league-wide there’s no way tickets on the secondary market will be that expensive. Hell, if they hit 110 pts again I don’t think upper bowl seats will be going for more than about $150.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If they are going for about $250 each then I’ll have to sell a few games because I’d be a damned fool not to.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 24, 2018 4:56 pm If they are going for about $250 each then I’ll have to sell a few games because I’d be a damned fool not to.
A guy with season ticket seats near our group's seats told me that at the beginning of each season, he puts up for sale his tickets to the most desirable games, at ridiculous prices, just to see if anybody bites. Sometimes, somebody does.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vegas went all out to welcome Pacioretty.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Same picture each time is like when a half dozen celebrities all tweet an endorsement with the same basic wording, right?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not certain I get the reference but adjusting the stuff on Strip marquees isn’t as common as you think I believe.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

To be sure, on some level this is the normal kind of sucking up stuff a new player will say to the media, but it says a lot that a guy who was a captain of the most storied team in the NHL is blown away by the crowd at a preseason game with a team that is in its second year.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I’m certain GMGM doesn’t want to be giving a 19-year-old serious minutes on D but he’s gonna have to. Brannstrom is too good to be playing in the AHL.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the one thing that all of the national pieces about how quickly the city adopted the Knights get wrong or can’t quite understand unless you live here is just how deep the fandom permiates which is something I’ve never seen in this town.

Not unlike a lot of places there are many Las Vegas. There are about 200,000 or so people who don’t speak English. There are people who landed here on their last chance. There are Vietnamese bartenders in downtown bars who almost certainly have never seen a hockey game except as background noise. And everywhere you go or what you do people are all in.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

There might have been 2 million people here but this place wasn’t really a city before the Knights.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The thing that professional sports get you that nothing else does is being in a bar watching a game and seeing a 1 percenter biker running around the bar giving high fives after a goal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pretty impressive for a franchise in its second year (noteworthy only because it's the players saying it). Nashville and Vegas will have some definite advantages luring players with the tax incentives and fan.

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

That's great. But,it will be interesting to see if the fan intensity is the same in ten years. I'm sure they'll still be good fans, but it's a hard thing to sustain over time.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

The thing is, the magic of last year set an immediate culture of winning and FUN that will likely take something like a 2 or 3 year walk in the wilderness of shitty hockey to break.

If they can maintain playoff level hockey (not always easy), they will sustain that atmosphere.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Trailer for the documentary on the 2017-18 VGK season just dropped.

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Does the trailer include spoilers?
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:29 pm Does the trailer include spoilers?
Hopefully they have to shoot a new ending after this year's playoffs.

ETA: I honestly don't know how much of it is focused specifically on last year's season vs. the birth of the team and the aftermath of 1 October, etc., etc.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

VGK had their rookie camp last week/weekend and one of the non-roster invitees was a kid (Keenan Suthers) who plays at St. Lawrence who is 6-foot-9. And he's a forward (the tallest forward in NHL history is 6-foot-6). I tried to get some pics to show just how freaking tall this kid is, but only got him hunched over (like for faceoffs, etc.)

This story is from three years ago when he was "only" 6-7, but I'm rooting for him to get signed as college FA by someone. He's a pretty nice player, not just some kind of freakshow.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ryan Reaves got approval from the Las Vegas City Council for a license to open a brewery and distillery in downtown Las Vegas and also (jokingly, presumably) called out my councilman (who is a tremendous asshole - I wish him ill):

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Well that's a completely logical place to have it.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:16 pm Well that's a completely logical place to have it.
They wouldn't get much of a crowd in Lake Placid.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

It'd be awesome if one of the players talked shit about Trump and it made him call the Miracle on Ice overrated.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Giff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm It'd be awesome if one of the players talked shit about Trump and it made him call the Miracle on Ice overrated.
Those guys are all in their 60s. Given that, they are probably more likely to be maga.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:56 pm
Giff wrote: Wed Aug 21, 2019 1:51 pm It'd be awesome if one of the players talked shit about Trump and it made him call the Miracle on Ice overrated.
Those guys are all in their 60s. Given that, they are probably more likely to be maga.
"Eruzione says 1980 Russian team had 'a lot of good people.'"
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I try to avoid pointing this out here too often but within 15-20 years Vegas is going to be one of NHL’s cornerstone franchises along with most of the Original Six and probably bigger than some of those from a worldwide perspective. They’re already in the top 10 in the NHL as far as followers from outside North America on social media after only two years.

So stuff like this is going to be the new norm.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

We just had our preseason tickets delivered electronically and since I can't go to the first two games on the 15th and then the 26th (gonna be in Detroit and then St. Louis, respectively), I posted them for sale for almost double face value and they sold almost instantly. Preseason tickets. For almost double face value.

ETA: I realize Vegas gets knocked a little for the value of the tickets being inflated by the number of opposing fans who are trying to buy, which creates this ridiculous demand that obviously outstrips supply in a 17,000 seat arena with standing room for 1,000, but these aren't Coyotes fans buying tickets for a preseason game at double face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

BFIH.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wouldn't go that far, but amazingly, surprisingly good fans. (I would put a Pepsi Challenge up to anyone who has never been to an NHL game in person to attend a game in Las Vegas and then attend a game in a random other NHL city/arena and compare the two.)

For those of us who lived here a long time, this is pretty surprising. And it's not just because the team is good (though that helps obvs). It goes beyond that. Some of it has to do when them getting here (as far as pro sports) first*. Some of it has to do with what happened after 1 October. Some of it has to do with there was always a lot of people who relocated here from Buffalo, Detroit, Chicago, Pittsburgh, etc. and were willing to sell their friends and neighbors on the NHL. This team has created a lot of new hockey fans, which is the whole idea behind going into a new market. The TV ratings for the playoffs in Las Vegas after VGK were eliminated were still top 10 in the United States.

* - This is kind of apropos of nothing as far as a footnote, but Bettman -- for all of the deserved criticism he gets because of the labor strife -- deserves credit for at least as much stuff as he gets shit about and one of the things he was right/smart about was that getting the NHL in Las Vegas first would help the league grow revenues, not just in Las Vegas but from relationships with gaming and internationally. I feel like there's a full-throated defense of Bettman as a commissioner that needs to be written by someone.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

VGK has a third jersey finally coming out this summer and it is going to be gold. I can pretty much guarantee it's either going to be the coolest third jersey in the league or an absolutely disaster. There's a reason most teams don't wear gold as a primary color.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm still scarred by these tbh: