Welcome NHL Las Vegas

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Re: Welcome NHL Las Vegas

Post by brian »

Broke some not insignificant records last night by the way:

Home wins, inaugural season - 23 (previous record: Hartford, 79-80)
Most points, inaugural season - 84 (previous record: Florida, 93-94)
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Alex Tuch got the first Gordie Howe hat trick in team history last night too.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Mr. D wrote: Our coach sucks.
degeneration wrote: Our coach sucks.
On the other hand, I'm really happy with the Sharks' coach, Pete DeBoer. Seems like a real calming influence.

They lost Patrick Marleau to free agency. Joe Thornton has been on IR for awhile now (and was playing hurt at the first of the season, too). Paul Martin got old overnight and was sent to the minors. Tomas Hertl is on IR again. Brent Burns is not putting up anything like his scoring stats of a year ago. Joe Pavelski's stats are down, too. The #1 goalie Martin Jones missed some time. Team has no physical presence and gets outhit nightly. Haven't added anybody except minor leaguers.

And, yet, the team is in second place in their division.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Vegas is the first expansion team in NHL history to not finish its season with a losing record. Back on top of President’s Trophy standings. Also just swung a trade giving up nothing but worthless cap space. Love you guys. TTFN.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I’m not sure I get it. They paid like $3MM in real money, $2MM in 2018-19 cap space for a 4th?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 8:28 am I’m not sure I get it. They paid like $3MM in real money, $2MM in 2018-19 cap space for a 4th?
Knights also got Ryan Reaves which will add some much needed toughness to the team. Penguins were allowed to find a third team to pick up a large portion Brassard's salary bill as long as all three teams received something.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Reaves seems like a really great guy, but he hadn’t really done what everyone thought he was brought in to do, and barring a catastrophe wasn’t going to sniff the ice in the playoffs. Was happy when I saw he ended up being part of the deal.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah. Considering Vegas gave up almost nothing other than money getting a high fourth (it’s Vancouver’s pick, not Pittsburgh’s) and Reaves, who very possibly might slot into the fourth line even into the playoffs is a pretty decent return. I would have personally rather they had gotten a little more scoring punch but that’s expensive to acquire and they really probably needed a more physical presence for the playoffs.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Teams only get limited slots to retain salary so I'm just not getting how using a slot plus $2MM of next year's cap on Brassard for a goon and a 4th makes sense. But a lot of what GMGM does doesn't make sense to me and its all working out so whatev?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Welp. Vegas is definitely making another deal. They just sent Hyka and Matteau to Chicago (AHL) to open up two roster spots. Since they don’t have a game until after the trade deadline when rosters expand no reason to do so unless you’re adding players before Monday.

Mike Conmodore is insisting on Twitter that it’s Eriksson but that would be a shocker.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 3:10 pm Mike Conmodore is insisting on Twitter that it’s Eriksson
You mean Karlsson?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Ha. Yeah sorry. I have dyslexia with Swedish names.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Worth noting it could be to make them eligible for AHL playoffs but if so that transaction could have waited until Monday.
Rams Fanny
Bunny Lebowski

Post by Rams Fanny »

Saw speculation a couple days ago which said VGK's 2#1s, a #2, and the expiring contracts of Stoner and Garrison for Karlsson and Ryan. I would try to get it to #1 and 2#2s but would do that. Add Karlsson to this team (with continued relative good health) and it's hard to imagine any team beating them in a 7 game series especially with home ice advantage.
"Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair or fucking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back." -Al Swearengen
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Karlsson's post-trade medical is going to be insane.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rams Fanny wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:14 pm Saw speculation a couple days ago which said VGK's 2#1s, a #2, and the expiring contracts of Stoner and Garrison for Karlsson and Ryan. I would try to get it to #1 and 2#2s but would do that. Add Karlsson to this team (with continued relative good health) and it's hard to imagine any team beating them in a 7 game series especially with home ice advantage.
I'm less concerned with trading picks at this point than I am trading away the firsts from last year. So any deal which doesn't involve Glass, Suzuki and Brannstrom is probably more or less OK with me. Two 1s and a 2 would be steep, but not ridiculous, especially if they can extend Karlsson.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

If they can get and extend Karlsson, that is worth a lot!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

As someone whose team is flirting with EK, I'm wary of him. Sure, he's Karlsson, but he's certain to decline in his next contract, and he's got a bum wheel. He's -27 this season, (shitty stat, I know), and on a horrible team, but that isn't good.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:07 pm As someone whose team is flirting with EK, I'm wary of him. Sure, he's Karlsson, but he's certain to decline in his next contract, and he's got a bum wheel. He's -27 this season, (shitty stat, I know), and on a horrible team, but that isn't good.
Show me an elite player on a crap team and I'll show you a guy with a really bad plus/minus. Always the case, especially with defensemen.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Its the whole one-too-many-mentions-to-ignore degenerative ankle thing that would worry the hell out of me. He's a guy you'd hate to see your team or your rival pay proper value for because there's really no such thing.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

mister d wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2018 7:11 pm Its the whole one-too-many-mentions-to-ignore degenerative ankle thing that would worry the hell out of me. He's a guy you'd hate to see your team or your rival pay proper value for because there's really no such thing.
Agreed. I don't see the Bolts extending him past year after next, and the price now will include thoughts that the receiving team will have the upper leg. That being said...if you take Killorn, maybe we've got something. Also, Johnson's no trade kicks in on July 1, and that contract is not going to age well at all. I'd be ok with him leaving. Can't have too many skaters leave the current team though.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh man, that’s not happening at all unless you take two Ryans. This is pure and simple pre-sale shedding where less payables is better than “a top 5 defenseman”.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Marc-Andre Fleury's little curling got a chuckle from me.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Welcome NHL Seattle
NHL.com wrote:Seattle, which began a season ticket drive Thursday in its effort to become an NHL expansion team, received 10,000 deposits in 12 minutes and about 25,000 in total.

The ownership group applied to the NHL for an expansion team on Feb. 13. If Seattle is awarded an NHL team, its owners expect to announce final ticket prices in 2019.

The group, led by Jerry Bruckheimer, a Hollywood producer, David Bonderman, a private equity CEO, and Tim Leiweke, CEO of Oak View Group, was authorized Dec. 7 to file an application for expansion by the NHL Board of Governors. It paid a $10 million application fee, Sportsnet reported.

"Shell-shocked is best way to put it," Leiweke told TSN about the amount of deposits. "We sold 10,000 season tickets in 12 minutes and we're just short of 25,000 so I guess the fans have spoken. The fans in Seattle have made it a resounding vote which is they are ready for the National Hockey League. They are counting on us to bring the NHL here."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife is out of town Sun and Mon and I thought maybe a 5PM hockey game would be a nice diversion with the kids.

The Winnipeg game is a couple of bucks more than the Habs game. I think we might go see Black Panther.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Seems...pricey?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I usually check in on Pens games for deals, and that’s ridiculous for the Rock. Shocked.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It's Brian Boyle bobblehead night, so...

(Stubhub's more reasonable (but still pricey).
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Oh yeah, much better. Still too pricey for a lark.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Kind of amazing, but in its expansion season Vegas is going to have beaten at least 27 of the other 30 NHL teams. (Remember the previous record for wins in an inaugural season was 33).

They've already been swept by the Islanders and the only other two teams with a chance to sweep are Detroit and Philadelphia, both of whom the Knights play on this road trip.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 1:23 pm Kind of amazing, but in its expansion season Vegas is going to have beaten at least 27 of the other 30 NHL teams. (Remember the previous record for wins in an inaugural season was 33).

They've already been swept by the Islanders and the only other two teams with a chance to sweep are Detroit and Philadelphia, both of whom the Knights play on this road trip.
So, they'll be swept a maximum of twice.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I don't think I posted about it here, but I went to the Blues/Wings game in STL last week. The Red Wings didn't exactly look good.

Was interesting to see a game in another NHL city. Was a mausoleum compared to Vegas, but I can't really kill the Blues too much. That's one advantage an expansion team has is if you try to change the in-game experience a little you don't have a bunch of old farts who have been season ticket holders since 19-dickety-whatever complaining that it's too loud.

Scotttrade Center even has an old-school organ (and appears to be damn proud of it). Everything about the vibe at a Blues game screams "we're about as close as you can get to being an Original Six team!"
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm That's one advantage an expansion team has is if you try to change the in-game experience a little you don't have a bunch of old farts who have been season ticket holders since 19-dickety-whatever complaining that it's too loud.
All I want is Mites on Ice between periods. And I want those mites to have big oversized personalities who shine during post game interviews and goal celebrations...Is that too much to ask. I don't need mascots and pizza handouts and t-shirt cannons (wait I like t-shirt cannons) and random military recognition with patriotic music (sorry Johnny) and blimbs dropping coupons and dance offs......just halfway competent 1st and 2nd graders trying to score in the 4 minutes of ice time they get (and I don't want full competent skaters...halfway is more fun)....oh and more urinals...that would be helpful too.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Tue Mar 06, 2018 7:27 am
brian wrote: Mon Mar 05, 2018 4:04 pm That's one advantage an expansion team has is if you try to change the in-game experience a little you don't have a bunch of old farts who have been season ticket holders since 19-dickety-whatever complaining that it's too loud.
All I want is Mites on Ice between periods. And I want those mites to have big oversized personalities who shine during post game interviews and goal celebrations...Is that too much to ask. I don't need mascots and pizza handouts and t-shirt cannons (wait I like t-shirt cannons) and random military recognition with patriotic music (sorry Johnny) and blimbs dropping coupons and dance offs......just halfway competent 1st and 2nd graders trying to score in the 4 minutes of ice time they get (and I don't want full competent skaters...halfway is more fun)....oh and more urinals...that would be helpful too.
I also love watching the little kids play hockey between periods. But lately here,they’ve switched to kids doing shootouts instead of playing games. I prefer the games, but no biggie...
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

DC is fucking annoying with how loud it is. You can't have a conversation in that place unless you go out to the concourse. Just chill the fuck out with the Jock Rock for one g-d break. We'll be fine, trust us.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Saskatchewan Golden Knights?

Too late for next year probably, but would be nice to see Vegas embrace it and play a preseason game in Regina.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm Saskatchewan Golden Knights?

Too late for next year probably, but would be nice to see Vegas embrace it and play a preseason game in Regina.
That's funny. I have a bunch of relatives in Saskatchewan, since both my parents were born and raised there. Not sure why they'd pick Vegas, but I know they'd never pick Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg, due to rivalries with those places. I'd guess most people in that province root for Toronto. My grandpa certainly did.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

sancarlos wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:06 pm
brian wrote: Fri Mar 09, 2018 12:13 pm Saskatchewan Golden Knights?

That's funny. I have a bunch of relatives in Saskatchewan, since both my parents were born and raised there. Not sure why they'd pick Vegas, but I know they'd never pick Calgary, Edmonton, or Winnipeg, due to rivalries with those places. I'd guess most people in that province root for Toronto. My grandpa certainly did.
They got into the reasons a little bit. For this year at least, Vegas has more Canadian players than any Canadian team other than Ottawa. It's also cheaper to fly to Vegas than any of the other Canadian NHL cities. And then there's the weather in the winter obvs. If Vegas is trying to make inroads in Utah, Montana and Idaho, then Saskatchewan makes just as much sense.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Another record last night, you guys.