The Weather

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by rass »

I remember reading a sci-fi book as a kid (I know the author but not the title) where aliens came to Earth to recruit or enslave humans for some intergalactic conflict and it turned out that in addition to being warlike we were also one of the most resilient races in the galaxy and it was conjectured that it was because the climate of the planet (seasons! hurricanes! tornados!) and the planet itself (earthquakes! volcanos!) were so chaotic.

So wear your helmet and good luck you guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 am In bicycling circles there's a group of "helmet truthers" who are convinced that wearing a bike helmet on a ride actually increases your danger of serious injury. One of their favorite arguments is "If helmets are so important, why don't you wear them when you're driving." Seems like wearing a bike helmet while sheltering from a tornado is the next logical step.
Sounds similar to anti-seatbelt arguments, right?
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

rass wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:56 am
Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 10:51 am In bicycling circles there's a group of "helmet truthers" who are convinced that wearing a bike helmet on a ride actually increases your danger of serious injury. One of their favorite arguments is "If helmets are so important, why don't you wear them when you're driving." Seems like wearing a bike helmet while sheltering from a tornado is the next logical step.
Sounds similar to anti-seatbelt arguments, right?
Yup, or anti-vax, or anti-anything that the Establishment recommends or mandates for your safety.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

So, what is the basis for them saying that "wearing a bike helmet on a ride actually increases your danger of serious injury. "?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

So this was why the alarming language from NWS...

There's gonna be lots of this today in a four or five state area.

This is current:

DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Meanwhile, windows open here.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 1:48 pm
So, what is the basis for them saying that "wearing a bike helmet on a ride actually increases your danger of serious injury. "?
The main argument remember was that the extra weight of the helmet supposedly made you more susceptible to twisting your neck somehow. Plus some folks argued that if you were wearing a helmet, you and/or nearby drivers would be less careful.

It seemed pretty stupid at the time, and doesn't seem any less stupid now.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I can already tell that literally the same temperature/weather every day for four months straight (82 and sunny) is playing tricks with my head somehow. It's like time never changes and/or moves slower. Maybe that's another reason why old people choose to retire to places like Florida.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Mar 25, 2021 9:06 am Hold a quick thought for BobP today. And Rex. But especially those in the MS/AL/TN region. They are on the doorstep of a really bad tornado day. Maybe to rival the April 2011 outbreak down there.

Here's the latest note from NWS:
This is an uncommon, upper-echelon parameter space. In such an
environment, any relatively discrete supercells will be capable of
multiple tornadoes, some long-tracked and strong to violent (EF2-5
possible), with considerable destructive potential. A very moist
boundary layer also will reduce potential cold-pool/outflow strength
via less subcloud evaporation, so that even closely spaced storms
may have substantial tornado threats. Forecast wind fields and
model soundings reasonably suggest any sustained supercells and
their tornadoes will be fast-moving (45-55 kt), with individual
tornado paths nearly as long in miles as their duration in minutes.
A tornado outbreak -- including the threat of a few long-tracked,
violent tornadoes -- is expected today into early this evening over
the Southeast, especially parts of Mississippi, Alabama and
Tennessee. Tornadoes, large to very large hail, and damaging winds
to hurricane force also are possible over a broad area from the
central Gulf Coast to the Ohio Valley and southern Appalachians.
We’ve skated by so far for both the last two weeks. The dialogue in the lead up to last week was even more apocalyptic than today.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Glad you have been spared. All hell has broken loose to your south in Birmingham today.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

/OFFICIAL NJ wind thread - holy shit!
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 pm /OFFICIAL NJ wind thread - holy shit!
It was hellacious. Not tornadic, mind you, but sustained 30’s or so around here, throwing around my patio shit. Glad it’s mostly over.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Anyone check on Giff?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Not sustained here but I did think about calling the kids inside.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 4:57 pm /OFFICIAL NJ wind thread - holy shit!
No shit, it got really loud. Lots of tree branches down and we lost power for about an hour.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

There was a tornado in Middlebury VT
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Looks like it's heading out to sea, but earlier today there was a chance we could have our first interaction with a tropical storm and a famous one (earliest ever on record) at that.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jesus Christ!

It's Snowing!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

We're getting very un-Memorial Day-like weather in the northeast. The family and I had planned a three-day, two-night tent camping trip in NE PA this weekend. It was 90 on Wednesday. As of 3:00 PM today, it won't get above 50 and going to pretty much rain consistently until the planned leaving time on Sunday. So the trip has been canceled in favor of an indoor small tent and S'mores in a sugar cone.

Cue Scott Weiland, "and I feel, so much depends on the weather."
How do you all get your death notices since I left?
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm We're getting very un-Memorial Day-like weather in the northeast. The family and I had planned a three-day, two-night tent camping trip in NE PA this weekend. It was 90 on Wednesday. As of 3:00 PM today, it won't get above 50 and going to pretty much rain consistently until the planned leaving time on Sunday. So the trip has been canceled in favor of an indoor small tent and S'mores in a sugar cone.

And I'm stuck at a soccer tournament all weekend in Southeastern PA. Not sure what the hell we are going to do with the kids. They both had their first shot this week, but not sure I want to spend the weekend indoors in public spaces. Also going to have to eat inside. OTOH, I see there is a Wegmans half a mile from our hotel.
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:44 pm
Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 3:17 pm We're getting very un-Memorial Day-like weather in the northeast. The family and I had planned a three-day, two-night tent camping trip in NE PA this weekend. It was 90 on Wednesday. As of 3:00 PM today, it won't get above 50 and going to pretty much rain consistently until the planned leaving time on Sunday. So the trip has been canceled in favor of an indoor small tent and S'mores in a sugar cone.

And I'm stuck at a soccer tournament all weekend in Southeastern PA. Not sure what the hell we are going to do with the kids. They both had their first shot this week, but not sure I want to spend the weekend indoors in public spaces. Also going to have to eat inside. OTOH, I see there is a Wegmans half a mile from our hotel.
If I'm assuming the correct one, drop them all off at the Trampoline Park and go hit up Victory Brewing. (I know, I know, the trampoline park is indoors and I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that yet either.)
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 4:26 pm

If I'm assuming the correct one, drop them all off at the Trampoline Park and go hit up Victory Brewing. (I know, I know, the trampoline park is indoors and I probably wouldn't be comfortable with that yet either.)
Oooh, so close. We are 23 miles away, by the King of Prussia Wegmans.
-Pruitt
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:04 pm

Ah, then hit up Workhorse Brewing instead.
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Didn't even realize I was wearing this shirt when I posted that.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:44 pm
Reaper wrote: Fri May 28, 2021 5:35 pm

Didn't even realize I was wearing this shirt when I posted that.
We still don’t know what shirt you are wearing.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Off to a great start for the tournament. About to leave the house, get a text that they closed the fields we are going to. They will update us and let us know if they find a new location. 2 hour drive, so we can’t wait to see if they find a field. Also not happy they gave a 6 hour break between games. Over 800 teams at this tournament, not sure how many extra, non- flooded fields they have.

ETA: update “all games at [field] today are cancelled. Update by 11:00.” Our first game is 10:30, does that mean no games today? Am I supposed to leave the house? If pushed back a day, we don’t have a hotel, hope we can get a room. This sucks.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Yuck. No tournament this weekend this year (have one next weekend but less than an hour away). We did the Hershey MDW tournament four years in a row and I guess really lucked out with the weather.

This weather is some BS though
Reaper
Jesus Quintana

Post by Reaper »

The Sybian wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am We still don’t know what shirt you are wearing.
It was a Workhorse shirt. It wouldn't post. I gave up after multiple tries at editing.

Much like it sounds like you should give up on the tournament happening this weekend.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Its 70 degrees, dry and sunny here. Which I'm spending the long weekend painting a fence.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 8:05 am This weather is some BS though
For real. Outdoor CL final watch party is now my first non-family indoors event post-vaccine. Although we got out early yesterday and hit up Hamilton Pork bbq in jersey city and it was excellent. Official Mister D-NJ recommendation.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

My annual Memorial Day weekend blaring of The Heat is On is taking on a new meaning
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:09 am Its 70 degrees, dry and sunny here. Which I'm spending the long weekend painting a fence.
TomSawyerinSeattle
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Reaper wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 9:55 am
The Sybian wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 5:53 am We still don’t know what shirt you are wearing.

Much like it sounds like you should give up on the tournament happening this weekend.
Yup. We were 5 minutes into our trip when we got an email that today’s games were postponed. Turned around, moved reservations back a day, then at 11:30 they cancelled numerous flights, including my daughters. The other team at her club got to play, as they were at a different location. Looks like 5 or 6 facilities cancelled out of approximately 25. Half the team went Friday night and couldn’t cancel Saturday hotel. We got lucky, they didn’t charge to switch nights, and they cancelled tournament 30 before deadline to cancel Sunday night.
-Pruitt
elflaco2
Brandt

Post by elflaco2 »

The Sybian wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 6:10 am Off to a great start for the tournament. About to leave the house, get a text that they closed the fields we are going to. They will update us and let us know if they find a new location. 2 hour drive, so we can’t wait to see if they find a field. Also not happy they gave a 6 hour break between games. Over 800 teams at this tournament, not sure how many extra, non- flooded fields they have.

ETA: update “all games at [field] today are cancelled. Update by 11:00.” Our first game is 10:30, does that mean no games today? Am I supposed to leave the house? If pushed back a day, we don’t have a hotel, hope we can get a room. This sucks.
FC Delco tournament ? We're in Lancaster all games on plastic fields. Tied and won..boy scored. Next game st 1050a...maybe another at 3p..if they get past that... Monday at noon.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

sancarlos wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:50 am
DaveInSeattle wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 10:09 am Its 70 degrees, dry and sunny here. Which I'm spending the long weekend painting a fence.
TomSawyerinSeattle
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Spending Friday night in a tornado warning at a campsite wasn't all that fun.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote: Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:44 am Spending Friday night in a tornado warning at a campsite wasn't all that fun.
A few years ago, I went on a solo camping trip. My camp site was about 6-8 feet above a small creek and about 40 feet away. Around 10 p.m. that night, a large thunderstorm rolled through and took its time to get out of the area. I started to get very worried the creek would fill up and overflow and wipe out my camp. Fortunately the creek only rose a few feet, but that storm definitely got my attention.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Reminds me of the 2015 Memorial Day floods in the Hill Country just southwest of Austin
Jonathan McComb, his wife, Laura Schultz McComb, 6-year-old son Andrew and 4-year-old daughter Leighton were inside with Ralph and Sue Carey, their daughter, Michelle Charba, her husband, Randy and their 4-year-old son, Will.

The home was ripped off its stilts along the river and crashed into a ranch road bridge, sending the nine people people in different directions. Jonathan McComb and his family’s Labrador, Maggie, were the only survivors.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Flash floods are no joke.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Totally normal here...

Lucky me I'm leaving tomorrow afternoon to go see my parents in Colorado Springs.