Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: The Weather

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Good to see a non-hysterical take on things for a change, from the local PD:

Dear Portsmouth,

This “bombogenesis” fear-mongering term has gotten everyone into an unnecessary tizzy. It’s snow. It’s a moderate amount (comparatively speaking of course). It’s wind. It’s cold. Listen, been there done that.....you all have. This is not like experiencing playing Atari for the first time. You’ve seen this before.

Just know one thing: Waterworld, Mordor, Upside-down World, Vortex, Black Hole, Naboo, Netherworld, “Bombogenesis”......whatever it is you want to call it, we will always be a call away. We are your safety net. We will do what we can to help with what you may need. And if we can’t, at least we tried. We’re a fairly resourceful bunch.

Take a deep breath, let it unfold. We may be riding Tauntauns for the next few days but just think how cool that would be.

Be safe. Be vigilant. Take care of your neighbors and the elderly.

PPD is here for you.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

That's more than a little refreshing, that's fucking awesome.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Pruitt wrote:https://twitter.com/StephenMarth/status/948287949254389760

I was actually on that road a bit last Friday and Saturday quite a bit. Drove home in what looked like very similar weather, but probably visibility in that video is a little worse.

That lake effect is no joke.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I shoveled. Its very cold.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

For those of you who were keeping track, today ended a stretch of 114 days without precipitation in Las Vegas.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote:For those of you who were keeping track, today ended a stretch of 114 days without precipitation in Las Vegas.

You son of a bitch.

After 13 straight days with the wind chill hitting 0 FAHRENHEIT or lower, today is a balmy 0 Celsius....

With 4-5 inches of snow.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Nonlinear FC wrote:
Pruitt wrote:https://twitter.com/StephenMarth/status/948287949254389760

I was actually on that road a bit last Friday and Saturday quite a bit. Drove home in what looked like very similar weather, but probably visibility in that video is a little worse.

That lake effect is no joke.

That was my route between home and college. Just beat a blizzard out out of there once, and a friend was stuck on the road over night. I seem to remember a story years ago where they had to have emergency crews bring food to stranded motorists on I-90, but I don't remember the details.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Jan 08, 2018 1:35 pm
brian wrote:For those of you who were keeping track, today ended a stretch of 114 days without precipitation in Las Vegas.
You son of a bitch.

After 13 straight days with the wind chill hitting 0 FAHRENHEIT or lower, today is a balmy 0 Celsius....

With 4-5 inches of snow.
We got about about an inch of rain yesterday (LV got 2.5 inches for ALL of 2017), but I never got to post this pic because the Swamp was down, but even that small amount of rain is no joke here.

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Seriously?

How does that happen?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:40 pm Seriously?

How does that happen?
That was just from rain? Looks like a water main break.
-Pruitt
Avram
Brandt

Post by Avram »

Did they shutdown the fountains at the Bellagio during the drought?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No, it’s legit. I’ve seen it before in person. It happens every time there’s a decent amount of rain. It’s the lowest part of The Strip and all of the water converges there. It’s cool as hell to see in person.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Google dry creek bed flood desert. It gets crazy real fast. Don't camp there.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

Tomorrow's forecasted high is 55 and the forecasted low is 9 (and -7 is Saturday's low).
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Almost 50 degrees today!

Friday night through the weekend will be below 10 degrees (fahrenheit) with lows around 0. Snow and freezing rain too. Craziness.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did GPJ go home this weekend? Because it is WET in Meadville.

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:18 pm Did GPJ go home this weekend? Because it is WET in Meadville.

If GPJ was there, I suspect they would be hot Jamz because they would be made of HOT FIRE!
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

All the schools in Houston are closed tomorrow and my company told us to work from home. Temps below freezing for over 24 hours with rain/ice/snow coming through. I'm pissed off because I know this is going to fuck with my sprinkler system that I haven't winterized. Ugh.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Would an electric car be a safety hazard in flooded streets?
-Pruitt
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

My kids and I are all home today with a snow day. There's absolutely no snow on the ground.

(Although it is actually just NOW starting)
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am My kids and I are all home today with a snow day. There's absolutely no snow on the ground.

If you're getting anything like the band we got in KY expect it to be a long, slow accumulation. Ended up with around 4 inches at my house and it snowed for basically 20 hours straight.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

A_B wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:02 am
Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:57 am My kids and I are all home today with a snow day. There's absolutely no snow on the ground.

If you're getting anything like the band we got in KY expect it to be a long, slow accumulation. Ended up with around 4 inches at my house and it snowed for basically 20 hours straight.
I've seen estimates anywhere from 1 to 6 inches. It's actually snowing pretty hard now, but it's barely below freezing, if at all. My watch says it's 35 degrees.
Totally Kafkaesque
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Shirley wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:37 am

I've seen estimates anywhere from 1 to 6 inches. It's actually snowing pretty hard now, but it's barely below freezing, if at all. My watch says it's 35 degrees.
My daughter says 3 inches in Greenbsoro and snowing hard there. you all are killing the DC/Balt area in snowfall this year.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

C'mon.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Seems like the mudslides just south of Santa Barbara didn't make much of a dent in the national consciousness, but 20 people are dead and three missing (and also probably dead). Lots of ruined homes and infrastructure. I never knew mudslides could do that much damage.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

mister d wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:50 amC'mon.
Not today, Satan.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am Seems like the mudslides just south of Santa Barbara didn't make much of a dent in the national consciousness, but 20 people are dead and three missing (and also probably dead). Lots of ruined homes and infrastructure. I never knew mudslides could do that much damage.
Some of those videos were harrowing.

We're the coldest we've been in two decades. Most highways are closed and I realize I'm woefully unprepared for working from home for more than an hour at a time.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:58 am Seems like the mudslides just south of Santa Barbara didn't make much of a dent in the national consciousness, but 20 people are dead and three missing (and also probably dead). Lots of ruined homes and infrastructure. I never knew mudslides could do that much damage.
From the videos I have seen, raging rivers of mud seem like there would have been more causalities. And reports of boulders the size of some of the smaller homes. Pretty crazy. There was a report on NPR where a woman said she should have left and that her neighbors didn't make it (the wife was smashed up against the house and they found the husband submerged in the mud the next day). Pretty gruesome retelling of that night.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

duff wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 11:09 am
From the videos I have seen, raging rivers of mud seem like there would have been more causalities. And reports of boulders the size of some of the smaller homes. Pretty crazy. There was a report on NPR where a woman said she should have left and that her neighbors didn't make it (the wife was smashed up against the house and they found the husband submerged in the mud the next day). Pretty gruesome retelling of that night.
I think the only reason there weren't more casualties is because that most of the damage wasn't in a densely populated area.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Most of the coverage I've seen is just cool videos of cars being carried down windy roads and the like. I think the wildfires have been in the news so long, and we are so used to constant natural disasters in CA, that the mudslides don't move the needle much.
-Pruitt
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 10:39 am

My daughter says 3 inches in Greenbsoro and snowing hard there. you all are killing the DC/Balt area in snowfall this year.
Is she going to school up there?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

From me, it's down there. Yes, she went to Guilford and graduated last May, and stayed there after graduation. The cost of living is extremely affordable there, so a good place for her to start out.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:10 pm
Steve of phpBB wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2018 1:30 pm

From me, it's down there. Yes, she went to Guilford and graduated last May, and stayed there after graduation. The cost of living is extremely affordable there, so a good place for her to start out.
My sister lives in Greensboro. I like the area.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Me too.

I would say not enough snow but they are killing it this year. Airport in Greensboro and an easy drive to Raleigh for even more flight options (and Southwest). And twice a day the Carolinian on Amtrak so you can train up the east coast from there too. Cheap to live and easy to travel. And quick to either the mountains to the west or the ocean to the east. It's a nice spot.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

Spent a spring weekend in Greensboro two years ago and loved it.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

60 today, warmer tomorrow, after single digits and snow earlier in the week.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
elflaco
Brandt

Post by elflaco »

cold spell and bunch of ice a couple of days ago..so New Orleans is pretty shut down. luckly my flight home is early in the morning (guess, Harrah's poker room awaits me). but no water in the hotel since last night.. i thought i'd spend a week down here away from the teens in nj... nope.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do Californians even notice a 3.9?