Jeeves can't remember if we have a Credit Card thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

BSF21
The Dude

Jeeves can't remember if we have a Credit Card thread

Post by BSF21 »

Cross post from facebook, figured I'd get the frog opinions.

I think I'm giving up potential in getting things for using my credit card. Anyone have any great reward suggestions? Everything I'm looking at says Chase Sapphire Preferred is great, but I'm more looking to achieve status for travel/frequent flyer/hotel points. I pump quite a bit of purchases through my card every month but never carry a balance, so I don't care if its a billion %APR.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
brian
The Dude

Re: Jeeves can't remember if we have a Credit Card thread

Post by brian »

You travel a lot for work. Which airline and/or hotel chain do you stay with mostly? If it's Southwest or Marriott, etc they probably have a card. I've heard good things about Southwest's credit card as far as accumulating status and "miles" (though they use points). They have promotional offers sometimes where you can spend like $2000 in three months and get a free companion pass for a year.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

I rarely fly for work. Twice a year maybe. For leisure I typically fly Southwest, for business I fly Delta.

As far as hotels go I've been terrible at it and usually just scoop up whatever is cheap on hotels.com wherever I end up at for the night but I'd like to start making the change to build status somewhere considering all the hotels are basically owned by 3 groups.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BSF21 wrote:I rarely fly for work. Twice a year maybe. For leisure I typically fly Southwest, for business I fly Delta.

As far as hotels go I've been terrible at it and usually just scoop up whatever is cheap on hotels.com wherever I end up at for the night but I'd like to start making the change to build status somewhere considering all the hotels are basically owned by 3 groups.
Yeah, Sabo should jump in because he travels a lot still but when I was on the road a couple hundred days a year I preferred Marriott because they have a decent range of hotels across the luxury-ish to cheaper spectrum and you can usually count on most towns to at least have a Courtyard or Fairfield. I had their card when I travelled and I remember thinking it was a pretty good deal as far as accumulating free nights, etc. That may have changed. Other people I worked with like Hilton's hotels and card, but even the Hampton Inns are usually more pricey than Courtyards depending on what kind of issues you have with your accounting department.

Have you checked out a "comparison" site like bankrate.com?
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

FWIW, I don't travel at all for work, and haven't done research on which cards are better than others, but I charge everything that I possibly can on my Delta AMEX, then pay it all off each month. I've been able to use the Delta miles to travel for pleasure quite a bit.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:FWIW, I don't travel at all for work, and haven't done research on which cards are better than others, but I charge everything that I possibly can on my Delta AMEX, then pay it all off each month. I've been able to use the Delta miles to travel for pleasure quite a bit.
Delta's been pissing me off lately by adding extra fees during the booking process. But I personally have the Platinum Delta AMEX and despite the $150 annual fee it's worth it for the free bags and most importantly, I get one companion certificate a year. Since my wife and I take at least one trip back to Michigan every year I get at least about $300 of value out of that.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:
govmentchedda wrote:FWIW, I don't travel at all for work, and haven't done research on which cards are better than others, but I charge everything that I possibly can on my Delta AMEX, then pay it all off each month. I've been able to use the Delta miles to travel for pleasure quite a bit.
Delta's been pissing me off lately by adding extra fees during the booking process. But I personally have the Platinum Delta AMEX and despite the $150 annual fee it's worth it for the free bags and most importantly, I get one companion certificate a year. Since my wife and I take at least one trip back to Michigan every year I get at least about $300 of value out of that.
I feel like I have the Gold card, and not the Platinum. I get the free bags, and connecting through Atlanta is easy for me. I don't get the companion certificate, but if it's only $50 more per year, I may need to upgrade.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

That's why I did. The Gold was $95 and they used to have a $150 companion voucher (IIRC). When they dropped that, it wasn't worth the annual fee any more, but the $150 for the Platinum with the free companion voucher is worth it. I've never had an issue redeeming it and used at least four at this point.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

It's probably not the best*, but I use an American Airlines rewards card that pretty much allows me to fly for an international vacation once a year for free.

(*at the time I signed up for it I was already invested in their rewards system, so it made sense to roll with it)
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

If it's not Spirit, it's probably fine.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Gunpowder wrote:If it's not Spirit, it's probably fine.
Yeah, I think this is the key point (both Spirit sucking and that you should just pick an airline or hotel chain you like and stick with it, both for the credit card and patronizing it when you travel).
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

brian wrote:That's why I did. The Gold was $95 and they used to have a $150 companion voucher (IIRC). When they dropped that, it wasn't worth the annual fee any more, but the $150 for the Platinum with the free companion voucher is worth it. I've never had an issue redeeming it and used at least four at this point.
Looking at the comparison, I don't see free companion vouchers as a perk for any of the Delta AMEX cards, including the one with the $450/yr fee.
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

I have a table for revolving specials on all of our cards but when I'm not sure, I use that clear AMEX card from the Tina Fey commercials. I also have a Capital One card for international and car rentals (since it covers the fees the car insurance won't).
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:
Gunpowder wrote:If it's not Spirit, it's probably fine.
Yeah, I think this is the key point (both Spirit sucking and that you should just pick an airline or hotel chain you like and stick with it, both for the credit card and patronizing it when you travel).

Yeah, while I like JetBlue and Delta is still ok with me, I wouldn't mind American. They offer a ton of flights and aren't sub-human fucks like Spirit.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

govmentchedda wrote:
brian wrote:That's why I did. The Gold was $95 and they used to have a $150 companion voucher (IIRC). When they dropped that, it wasn't worth the annual fee any more, but the $150 for the Platinum with the free companion voucher is worth it. I've never had an issue redeeming it and used at least four at this point.
Looking at the comparison, I don't see free companion vouchers as a perk for any of the Delta AMEX cards, including the one with the $450/yr fee.
Not sure why they bury it, but it's in there for the Platinum AMEX (though the fee is $195 now).

https://www.americanexpress.com/us/cred ... rdbenefits
Platinum Delta Companion Certificate at Renewal
Taxes/fees/restrictions: Companion Certificate is valid for one round-trip Economy Class Companion ticket with the payment of applicable taxes and fees detailed below and the purchase of certain adult round-trip fares on published routings within the 48 contiguous United States. Residents of Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the United States Virgin Islands (USVI) must originate from there to the 48 contiguous United States and have an address on their SkyMiles account in Hawaii, Alaska, Puerto Rico or the USVI. Each year, the Companion Certificate will be made available for redemption on delta.com in your renewal month.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Yeah, you'd think they wouldn't bury that. Thanks for finding that. A companion flight for about $100 more a year is worth it, IMO, even without whatever other upgrades you get.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Marriott card can get fucked. It used to be solid, but now its like $79 annual fee and they've put two tiers into their hotel system since we signed up like 8 years ago which means they've devauled both the points themselves and the free night or two you get annually (which can only be tier 1-4). We just switched over to the Citi Double which seems about as good as you'll find; its 1% on purchase, another 1% when you pay and no annual fee. Straight cash.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

A companion ticket makes more sense if you don't have kids. Otherwise I have had difficulties making those things work.

Delta fucked us over last year by switching seats around without telling us, so we largely stopped using the Delta Platinum card and have been using Capital One instead. This year will be the first time using it in Europe.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
testuser2
Brandt

Post by testuser2 »

The best one I have is a Sam's club Mastercard that you get 5% back on gas. You can use it at any gas station. The normal card is a Bank of america points card that we use to get cash back. Also have a disney card that we haven't't really used yet.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Anyone else have a Citi card with Price Rewinds (basically they price shop something you already bought on the card)? I accidentally found it and now they're saying there's $40 in "potential savings" on the new washing machine I didn't want to have to get. Do you have to trigger at a low point or do you wait until the end of 60 days and get the best price? Anything hidden or any downside here?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

So I just read this story about a guy buying a car on his credit card and getting back a bunch of points that translates to free travel and such.

It brings up this service that lets you pay anything with your credit card: https://www.plastiq.com (I've researched it before seems amazing.)

I now have a mortgage and if I can funnel my payment through a credit card with that service I can do what he did on a smaller scale.

As luck would have it, the laundry list of military friendly credit cards is fucking amazing: https://www.creditcardinsider.com/credi ... /military/

The best seem to be either the Chase Sapphire Reserve, Platinum AMEX, or United Mileage Plus. All have great mileage bonuses and waive the yearly fees because I'm active duty.

So I should totally do this, right? Seems like it's too good to pass up. And if I'm reading all of this right which one do I choose?
Last edited by Johnnie on Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:32 am, edited 4 times in total.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

If you go CSR, use my link, (I think I get 10k points). I've been very happy with it. The annual fee is high, but they automatically take $300 out of anything listed as travel. If you do any travel at all, it is not hard at all to hit that. Plus, the $100 credit towards either Precheck or Global entry makes it even cheaper. There are a few FB groups that I follow regarding best ways to maximize your rewards.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Holy shit, you get the $450 annual fee for free? That's a no brainer.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Earn 50,000 bonus points with Chase Sapphire Reserve. I can be rewarded too if you apply here and are approved for the card. Learn more.
https://www.referyourchasecard.com/19/C6DL96R93D
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Yea, bud. They know they can take us military guys to the cleaners if we don't make payments. I'm going to do it and I'm going to use your link.

I just have to look into Plastiq. I want to pay my mortgage through my card at the very least. (And like all of my bills too.)

My first payment begins in August, so I'll let you know.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If that Plastiq site charges a 2.5 percent fee I don’t see how you’re coming out ahead. The best cashback cards will give you about 2 percent back.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

That's what I gotta figure out. I think it's the points accumulation via mandated cost of living allowances for hotels/airlines so you get some extra bang for your buck and not necessarily the cash back bonus that makes this work.

<Stephen A Smith voice>HOWEVAHHHH</voice>

If I'm getting a bit of the difference in cash back, then that reduces costs to me and I get the points regardless.

Edit:

Checked the fine print. You can't pay your mortgage with a Visa via Plastiq. You think they'd put that nugget in the section of their website as a caveat to "put virtually any expense on your credit card." Dicks.

Clearly, they thought through someone like me would find the obvious and try to exploit it.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

The only card I use, I got under a program from my alma mater's alumni association. Under which program, the alumni association, not me, receives benefits the more I use my card. Yeah, I'm that clever... ;-)
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Check out this blast from the past.

I have recently purchased a small business. Anyone got a good CC recommendation to run expenses through? Preferable no fee. I will never carry a balance and charges will be minimal (travel, meals, hotels, vehicle maintenance, etc) Just want to get something for "the company" and not worry about reimbursing myself to my personal card if I can help it.

Thoughts? Do I just call Amex or my bank or Discover or something?

Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Holy shit. RSmith.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

BSF21 wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 3:55 pm Check out this blast from the past.

I have recently purchased a small business. Anyone got a good CC recommendation to run expenses through? Preferable no fee. I will never carry a balance and charges will be minimal (travel, meals, hotels, vehicle maintenance, etc) Just want to get something for "the company" and not worry about reimbursing myself to my personal card if I can help it.

I would skip Discover in the event you ever need to travel abroad. Otherwise, pick something with good rewards for yourself (what you want - like, if you don't choose to do a lot of personal travel, airline miles may not be for you), if you will actually reap them.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:07 pm

I would skip Discover in the event you ever need to travel abroad. Otherwise, pick something with good rewards for yourself (what you want - like, if you don't choose to do a lot of personal travel, airline miles may not be for you), if you will actually reap them.
This can be considered a no-no for tax reasons I think.

I'd get an Amex and pay for the fee for one of the better cards. You'll easily recoup the fee with rewards (that again, you probably should put towards the business).

Someone send up the HDO signal.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Not sure on the tax legalities, but I went for whatever would give me the most points. Capital One had a great deal when we set up the new firm a year or so ago, and we easily hit the minimum spend in whatever the months were to get like 100,000 miles. I've also been happy with Chase for personal cards. There was a recent article about The Points Guy in NYT. Someone on her knows/knew that guy (was it Ryan?). I'd look there and see what cards are offering good deals right now.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:59 pm Not sure on the tax legalities, but I went for whatever would give me the most points. Capital One had a great deal when we set up the new firm a year or so ago, and we easily hit the minimum spend in whatever the months were to get like 100,000 miles. I've also been happy with Chase for personal cards. There was a recent article about The Points Guy in NYT. Someone on her knows/knew that guy (was it Ryan?). I'd look there and see what cards are offering good deals right now.
I am friends with a guy who was an editor/writer for TPG who is now at CNN.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
phxgators
Bunny Lebowski

Post by phxgators »

Southwest card? Can earn you A list and companion passes, depending on how much you spend/travel. May or may not be worth it given the covid situation, of course. We've got the companion pass, but nowhere to go.

You can find referrals for 50,000 bonus points from cardholders if you go that way.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Every small business I’ve ever worked at has used Amex...the rewards are allegedly the best.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I did a bit of digging and it looks like there's no real rule about using the points for personal use. Sorry for the confusion.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

at the risk of inciting a riot ... the costco visa is legit. 4% back on gas and money back on every other purchase plus the card fee is your business membership fee.
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer