The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Sun Jun 21, 2020 6:19 pm
The Sybian wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 12:03 pm
elflaco wrote: Mon Jul 08, 2019 11:17 am Had a late lunch at Ava's in Kenilworth.
Will be going back for sure - my kinda place.
any of you know it?
Crazy, just talked to a friend who went there Saturday night, and was raving about the food and the beer menu. Need to check it out.

Been a couple of times and ordered takeout once during Q but finally got the hot chicken sandwich today (in part because they are selling flour and yeast and I’m almost out of the latter and haven’t lucked into it at the supermarket since I started looking 3 weeks ago). Excellent, and the roll was a house made work of love that was more than up to the rigors or takeout.
They switched up the recipe for the weekend and are serving it with kohlrabi kim chi.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Love that SALT deduction rollback.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Schumer will give it up to negotiate a better deal on a yacht tax reduction or something like that.

(our taxes are somehow still just below 10K)
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Since 12:45 pm yesterday, my fair hamlet of Springfield has been out of power and our benevolent “public” utility overlords couldn’t handle the unrelenting abuse on social media so to shut everyone up about the lack of communication about the est. restoration times for different towns, JPC&L threw up double-birds to their customers by announcing that a”majority of the remaining customers experiencing outages should be restored by Aug 11 at 11:30 pm, as in a “now they cant’t both that were not giving them an expectation.”

So I guess my point it, how many of you union Essex county fucks are running the gennie’s, and how many of you are on JCP&L. If that time frame holds true it will be just as bad as Sandy.

Just Can’t Power Lights. Amirite?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

Since 12:45 pm yesterday, my fair hamlet of Springfield has been out of power and our benevolent “public” utility overlords couldn’t handle the unrelenting abuse on social media so to shut everyone up about the lack of communication about the est. restoration times for different towns, JPC&L threw up double-birds to their customers by announcing that a”majority of the remaining customers experiencing outages should be restored by Aug 11 at 11:30 pm, as in a “now they cant’t bitch that were not giving them an expectation.”

So I guess my point it, how many of you union Essex county fucks are running the gennie’s, and how many of you are on JCP&L. If that time frame holds true it will be just as bad as Sandy.

Just Can’t Power Lights. Amirite?
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Union County got crushed, same issues with JCP&L. They missed the estimated time, took off all estimates, and now listing 8/11. Storm hit Tuesday morning the morning, worst of it seemed to be early afternoon. Wednesday morning, 78% of Union County listed as without power. We lost power on Tuesday for 5 minutes, then it came back. Then we lost it Wednesday at 1:00 pm for 7 hours. I think they may have intentionally shut down my neighborhood to fix other issues, but it could have been a falling tree.

Town looks like a war zone. We were pretty lucky. Lots of branches in the yard and a tree 3 houses down fell across the entire road, but we have two ways out of the neighborhood. Neighbor around the corner not as lucky.

An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Did a tree fall on your phone, too?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Been better here in UC w/PSEG. Everyone I know at work with JCPL is fucked, too. If they're hearing anything at all, it's an estimate of next week.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

PSEG here. Better personally but a lot of our town is out and hearing the weekend at best.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Heard some perv has been out filming teen girls while they run in Ocean City.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

I was going to blame rass and now I know I would've been right!
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My understanding is that he stole her bike in order to do it, too!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(I also filmed at a couple of intersections and stopped once because a young woman was running at us from the opposite direction and I didn’t want to seem a perv)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

The taco stand I keep raving about on FB at the farmers market in town is absolutely worth the trip to any of you local guys. They’re friends and neighbors and wonderful people and their tacos are incredible.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:29 pm The taco stand I keep raving about on FB at the farmers market in town is absolutely worth the trip to any of you local guys. They’re friends and neighbors and wonderful people and their tacos are incredible.
Seconded. Chorizo con papas es muy bueno and the bistec is perfectly cooked tiny little cubes of beef. Only on Thursdays.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Took a walk with my wife to run some errands (return library books, pickup an rx at the supermarket) and stopped at a Portuguese place on the way home with outdoor seating and downed a pitcher of sangria and a plate of chorizo and the quite adorable singer (who took a cleavage angled selfie before she started to sing, I’ll need to look for it later to see if she posted it to IG) performed Love Song and La Isla Bonita back to back as we paid up and left and it was pretty great.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

True Salvage Cafe in Maplewood just got named the home of the state's best pork roll/Taylor Ham sandwich in the state via the Star-Ledger. I keep forgetting to try that place.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:29 pm The taco stand I keep raving about on FB at the farmers market in town is absolutely worth the trip to any of you local guys. They’re friends and neighbors and wonderful people and their tacos are incredible.
Last week they added birria tacos (braised beef, onions and cheese) to the menu and they’re typically fantastic but the consommé they serve with it, in take away cups... oh man oh man

Think the most flavorful beef broth you’ve ever had, pho-like but beyond. I’m glad they’re neighbors because I can ask for the recipe without feeling weird.
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

rass wrote: Thu Oct 22, 2020 6:46 pm
Last week they added birria tacos (braised beef, onions and cheese) to the menu and they’re typically fantastic but the consommé they serve with it, in take away cups... oh man oh man

Think the most flavorful beef broth you’ve ever had, pho-like but beyond. I’m glad they’re neighbors because I can ask for the recipe without feeling weird.
There's a food truck here that does those and you are correct. So freaking good.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Giff wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:28 am

There's a food truck here that does those and you are correct. So freaking good.
The taco stand our 'best chef in the area' just opened has what he calls quesabirria tacos, and they're fucking amazing.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

I saved the leftover broth and used it in the bacon and beef stew I made last Saturday. Fucking unreal.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Speaking of asking for recipes/ingredients: There's a great puerto rican truck in Jersey City and I couldn't place the green sauce and finally asked and the guy laughed and said it was 90% iceberg which I'd never heard of before but, according to google, is a thing in some south american cooking.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Fri Oct 23, 2020 9:44 am Speaking of asking for recipes/ingredients: There's a great puerto rican truck in Jersey City and I couldn't place the green sauce and finally asked and the guy laughed and said it was 90% iceberg which I'd never heard of before but, according to google, is a thing in some south american cooking.
So at least 81% water?

Really good Puerto Rican place a little closer. They have a truck, too, though the website says they canceled their 2020 food truck season. They haven't been at the weekly farmer's market but I think they were at the food truck festival the town held at the beginning of October (didn't go, was sitting outside the vet for 6+ hours).
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh shit ...

(For years, he spent Sundays personally peddling Pelotons at Short Hills Mall in New Jersey.)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/12/11/nyre ... foley.html
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Syb hanging out at the mall with his kids

The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:44 am Syb hanging out at the mall with his kids

Heh heh heh, yeah, kids, check out her butt! Yeah, heh heh heh.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Catchy slogan!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 12:55 pm
Next time I'm in Trenton... (which will hopefully be never).
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Yeah, only time I'm ever there is if I booked late to Philadelphia and the Amtrak rates are insane.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 4:54 pm Yeah, only time I'm ever there is if I booked late to Philadelphia and the Amtrak rates are insane.
Actually never been, maybe I shouldn't pile on without ever having been there, but the reputation is strong.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Went to a Thunder Game once (summer of 95). The company I part-timed with that summer was HQ’d there. Was there for work one other time for my current employer maybe 16 or 17 years ago. Both times just drove in and out.

Had friends that used to swear by a club called Kathmandu, which I think was near the baseball stadium. Never went. The stadium itself was pretty nice as far as I can remember. Right on the river.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Would eat, but would not drive to AP today to do so.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When there's a helicopter overhead, its usually like 40% chance high school, 50% chance something dumb but a slow NYC news day and 10% chance something real. If Ring is to be believed, this one is real and a shooting a little ways away in a place one doesn't at all expect a shooting.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

We're close enough to the Union tolls on the GSP that I see them pretty regularly in the mornings. You know something bad is going on when you get more than 2 up there at once.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ring was to be believed, a son apparently killed his mom.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit. Used to drive past there on my way home from work back when I had to drive home from work.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"came into contact"???

(different story, sorry)
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:11 pm Shit. Used to drive past there on my way home from work back when I had to drive home from work.
Whoa, we used to be really close to each other almost daily???