The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

The Sybian
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Post by The Sybian »

That is fucking awesome. I saw that months ago, so hopefully it happens. BTW, what the fuck ever happened to Ballast Point Calm Before the Storm hitting NJ? I've been told forever "we should be getting it this week." By this point, I have to figure it isn't going to happen.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Probably no shelf space with Grapefruit Sculpin everywhere.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Fuck Grapefruit Sculpin. Fuck their regular Sculpin too. I've seen a lot of beer snob friends talk about their love for it. I don't like either one.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have another friend who loves the DIPAs but doesn't like Sculpin and now I wonder which of you is a bigger idiot.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Patty Marleau and I like Big Eye.

"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:I have another friend who loves the DIPAs but doesn't like Sculpin and now I wonder which of you is a bigger idiot.
See now I hate the Grapefruit Sculpin, but love the regular Sculpin.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I can see hating grapefruit sculpin. I don't, but I can get it. Hating regular Sculpin is for bad people.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

mister d wrote:I can see hating grapefruit sculpin. I don't, but I can get it. Hating regular Sculpin is for bad people.
Hate is probably too strong a word, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I would never choose it over the regular Sculpin, put it that way.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I really liked it the first time I had it, but as a regular option, its not an option, if that makes sense.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote:
mister d wrote:I can see hating grapefruit sculpin. I don't, but I can get it. Hating regular Sculpin is for bad people.
Hate is probably too strong a word, but it really doesn't do anything for me. I would never choose it over the regular Sculpin, put it that way.
I just don't see a need for putting grapefruit juice into Sculpin. Sculpin is really good, but I don't think it is the Nectar of the Gods some make it out to be. I don't see how anyone could like IPAs and not like Sculpin, unless it was a tainted bottle or really old.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Hey Rass, how close are you to the Rite Aid on Stuyvesant? Pretty nice place if you had the spicy red chili ramen at Ivan Ramen earlier in the day and, while driving to your storage unit, suffer an instant and terrifying stomach attack.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ummm....yeah? Union Center, not too far away.

I meant to write up some Union recommendations at some point since you're in the area, so here we go.

-The Portuguese bakery across the street from the Rite-Aid, Emily's, usually has a chorizo that they slice up deli style (it's girthy, like salami) that is just fantastic on breakfast sandwiches.

-The two other bakeries I would recommend are both pretty straightforward Italian places, and are on Stuyvasent, too. Conca d'Oro we usually go to around Christmas and Easter, and their pignoli cookies, struffoli and ricotta pie are all excellent. They also have my favorite canolli in town. Di Paolo's is pretty much right up the street from me, and is the only place I know of in the immediate area (other than Stop&Shop) that bakes their own bread daily.

-Lutz Pork Store is also on Stuyvasent, and is a very solid butcher. Their sausages are of the classic German variety and very good, as are their hot dogs and pretty much anything they smoke. You can bring in your own meat and they'll smoke it for you (I did that once with a whole turkey). I think they may have recently changed their coleslaw recipe (for the worse) which would bring them down a couple of points since they were my favorite place to get a sloppy joe based primarily on the great slaw. The guys who run the place and work there are all pretty young and hipsterish, so you should fit right in /2112'd.

-Bonchon Chicken is right downtown, and I think I raved about it up thread.

-Van Gohh's Ear is the local, non-franchise-y coffee place (on Stuyvasent!). I've always liked it, but don't get their too often anymore.

-Go to take out pizza place is Glendale, yup on Stuyvasent. Solid, if standard, except their Sicilian which I think is really fantastic. Special mention also to the Lucas sandwich (Meatballs, Long Hot Peppers, Shaved Pecorino Romano, Ricotta on housemade foccacia). So good.

-Union Pork Store is on Morris Ave, and cerrano loves it (it's much closer to him than me). Look up the website, they have a much bigger variety of sausage products.

-The Red Cadillac might be the most popular restaurant in town, the one that people from all of the other nicer Union County towns will actually visit. It's good, but my Mexican preferences are different than their style.

-If you like hot dogs, probably worth a trip to the other side of town at some point to try Galloping Hill.

-Tiff's is our favorite burger place, and such as it is, probably has the best draft beer selection in town. Kids eat free on Tuesdays and Sundays, and the balloon animal guy (who I think moved to Tuesdays now from Sundays) is pretty fucking amazing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I have a friend who raves about Union Pork Store as well. Was wondering if Lutz's, which I passed in a panic, was the same one but I guess not.

How does South Orange not have a good coffee shop? One of those things that makes me wish I had the stomach for trying to open something up.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

College kids love their Starbucks?

Is the Dancing Goat still around? I think I was there once.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Can't tell how long its been gone, but it looks like it might have been cool. Its a Village Trattoria now, which you might also know from Maplewood and Summit. Why does every place around here have to turn into a mini-chain?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:Can't tell how long its been gone, but it looks like it might have been cool. Its a Village Trattoria now, which you might also know from Maplewood and Summit. Why does every place around here have to turn into a mini-chain?
One of the worst things in life is seeing a new restaurant open up and liking it, then finding out it's a chain.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I think its worse to really like a local place then find out they're expanding, because it means almost certain dilution of the current product and/or the risk the new one will fail, killing both.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I couldn't tell if he was mocking you or not.

I guess one of those recommendations above is a local "chain". Oops. I guess you need to stick with WF for beer in Union. Except...
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

No way, I'm unmockable. Just ask Rush.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

No, I really feel that way.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote:No, I really feel that way.
I thought the hyperbole was a little much, coming from you.

And then there is this.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:

And then there is this.
When you grow up in a town of 4,000 that didn't even have a mcdolands until I was 10, you take what you can get!

The only other restaurant was a Western Sizzlin "steakhouse" that I got to eat on on occasional saturday nights when I went to AA/Al-Anon with my grandparents.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:

And then there is this.

Love this post from Mister D: "J-Lo not believing something exists just because he's never seen it himself ha ha ha isn't that so typical SMH!!!"
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I re-read that and wished I'd used "verified" instead of "seen".
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I wouldn't call a local chain a "chain" necessarily. I get the point about possible dilution of the product, but that isn't necessarily always the case. There's quite a few places here where they have a restaurant in Summerlin and then one in Henderson (about a half hour or more apart) since people here won't drive from one side of town to the other. Usually the quality at either is comparable.
cerrano
The Big Lebowski

Post by cerrano »

rass wrote:Ummm....yeah? Union Center, not too far away.

I meant to write up some Union recommendations at some point since you're in the area, so here we go.

-The Portuguese bakery across the street from the Rite-Aid, Emily's, usually has a chorizo that they slice up deli style (it's girthy, like salami) that is just fantastic on breakfast sandwiches.

-The two other bakeries I would recommend are both pretty straightforward Italian places, and are on Stuyvasent, too. Conca d'Oro we usually go to around Christmas and Easter, and their pignoli cookies, struffoli and ricotta pie are all excellent. They also have my favorite canolli in town. Di Paolo's is pretty much right up the street from me, and is the only place I know of in the immediate area (other than Stop&Shop) that bakes their own bread daily.

-Lutz Pork Store is also on Stuyvasent, and is a very solid butcher. Their sausages are of the classic German variety and very good, as are their hot dogs and pretty much anything they smoke. You can bring in your own meat and they'll smoke it for you (I did that once with a whole turkey). I think they may have recently changed their coleslaw recipe (for the worse) which would bring them down a couple of points since they were my favorite place to get a sloppy joe based primarily on the great slaw. The guys who run the place and work there are all pretty young and hipsterish, so you should fit right in /2112'd.

-Bonchon Chicken is right downtown, and I think I raved about it up thread.

-Van Gohh's Ear is the local, non-franchise-y coffee place (on Stuyvasent!). I've always liked it, but don't get their too often anymore.

-Go to take out pizza place is Glendale, yup on Stuyvasent. Solid, if standard, except their Sicilian which I think is really fantastic. Special mention also to the Lucas sandwich (Meatballs, Long Hot Peppers, Shaved Pecorino Romano, Ricotta on housemade foccacia). So good.

-Union Pork Store is on Morris Ave, and cerrano loves it (it's much closer to him than me). Look up the website, they have a much bigger variety of sausage products.

-The Red Cadillac might be the most popular restaurant in town, the one that people from all of the other nicer Union County towns will actually visit. It's good, but my Mexican preferences are different than their style.

-If you like hot dogs, probably worth a trip to the other side of town at some point to try Galloping Hill.

-Tiff's is our favorite burger place, and such as it is, probably has the best draft beer selection in town. Kids eat free on Tuesdays and Sundays, and the balloon animal guy (who I think moved to Tuesdays now from Sundays) is pretty fucking amazing.
what a great write-up.

and rass is right about my love for the union pork store. the nyt included them in a springtime tour of nj sausage houses. Jabby, the owner, is incredibly personable and loves to talk recipes and shoot the shit, and came around the counter to greet my wife the first time she came to the store. (it was out of respect) they smoke a ton of bacon with all sorts of rubs like coffee bacon, and "candy" bacon with a lot of sweet spices. he just started featuring smoked mutz of all things. they also have pretty solid dogs and excellent brats.

the only thing i can fault them for is removing the sign in the window that read "probably the best polish kielbasa in the state of new jersey." i really love their modesty.

their worth the trip. and for a bonus, the bagel spot bagel shop which has some of the best bagels in nj (except, occasionally, on mondays) is 5 store fronts away. you can't lose!
Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World Wade Boggs Carpet World
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If any of you were on 78 East b/w 6:30 - 7:15 tonight and saw a rugged as fuck young man changing a goddamn tire just before the 24 split, that was your boy D.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I saw the coverage via the traffic center helicopter team. One handing the spare, shirtless no less. That growing crowd of women were certainly impressed. They also said some good things about the tire-changing technique.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote:If any of you were on 78 East b/w 6:30 - 7:15 tonight and saw a rugged as fuck young man changing a goddamn tire just before the 24 split, that was your boy D.
At least it wasn't that cold. Or raining. Or after the split in that creepy valley with the tiny little shoulder leading to 24 and the local 78 lanes.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:If any of you were on 78 East b/w 6:30 - 7:15 tonight and saw a rugged as fuck young man changing a goddamn tire just before the 24 split, that was your boy D.
That has to be about the worst spot ever. My engine seized about 2 or 3 miles West on 78 West during rush hour. Everything locked up, including the steering. Cutting across a lane of traffic with worse than just lost power steering and coasting at 10 mph and slowing was not fun. I somehow got to the shoulder, an sitting there for an hour, I kept thinking how scary it must be the first week as a State Trooper, standing on the edge of the shoulder, dealing with traffic stops. Seeing a car cam video of a cop getting nailed on the side of a highway always stuck with me.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sat there for 45 minutes with 2 kids in the backseat until the trooper and my wife arrived. 4 year old was surprisingly calm about it and the baby slept. As far as these things go, it worked out.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote:Sat there for 45 minutes with 2 kids in the backseat until the trooper and my wife arrived. 4 year old was surprisingly calm about it and the baby slept. As far as these things go, it worked out.
For a flat tire? Did you have to wait for your wife to come and change the tire for you? In the hour I sat there, never even saw a cop. And a guy was broken down in the shoulder a few hundred feet in front of me before I got there. The tow truck took him, and had to come back for me after unloading the first guy.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

It was a driver's side tire and most of you true NJ shitheads don't actually look at the road while driving, so my odds of getting hit and leaving my kids without a means for getting dinner were too high.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:It was a driver's side tire and most of you true NJ shitheads don't actually look at the road while driving, so my odds of getting hit and leaving my kids without a means for getting dinner were too high.
Just have the kids stand out in the lane 50 feet behind you. They are more effective than flares.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Hey, there's this new organization called AAA. Inexpensive to join, and they will send somebody out to rescue you, pronto. Look into it.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

When we got a 2nd car, it came with roadside and I was only really using this one for the ~2 miles to/from daycare so I didn't renew AAA and then we moved and I didn't really think about how we needed it again and shut up.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:It was a driver's side tire and most of you true NJ shitheads don't actually look at the road while driving, so my odds of getting hit and leaving my kids without a means for getting dinner were too high.
I bet the insurance money would have paid for a nice steak dinner.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Life insurance is a really strange thing when you really think about it.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

mister d wrote:Life insurance is a really strange thing when you really think about it.
Oh yeah. Insurance is the only bet you don't really want to win.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Spicy bacon sconewich. Fantastic in its own right, but as a very late breakfast after a (very leisurely run) 5K, eff yeah.

They're open on Sundays now, too.