The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: The OFFICIAL Towns in North Jersey Discussion Thread ...

Post by rass »

Nice neighborhood you got there. Would be too bad if someone from the U stopped by and was too shy to say "hi".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Bring tacos.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

NJ's 25 Greatest Sandwiches

I've had 17, 11 and 2.

Have debated a trip into Hoboken for #1 as recently as last weekend (when I saw the reported mention that this article was being worked up on Twitter).
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 am NJ's 25 Greatest Sandwiches

I've had 17, 11 and 2.

Have debated a trip into Hoboken for #1 as recently as last weekend (when I saw the reported mention that this article was being worked up on Twitter).
Dude, it's absolutely worth it. I used to pick one up every Saturday after my roller hockey games. Fiore's is (I'm assuming they haven't changed) a trip into the past. 80 year old Italian guy (I doubt he is still alive) making mutz in a giant metal bowl, serving roast beef off a giant hunk of meat fresh out of the oven and like 5 items for sale on an ancient wooden shelf. I tried getting it on trips back to Hoboken, but they sell out fast. The bread is fantastic, too. I can still taste it... Now I need to go back! Once COVID is gone, I'm taking a Wednesday off and making a trip into the 'Boke for Fiore's. And if I ever go back to my office, I need to check out that Bahn Mi place in Edison.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:52 am
rass wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:24 am NJ's 25 Greatest Sandwiches

I've had 17, 11 and 2.

Dude, it's absolutely worth it. I used to pick one up every Saturday after my roller hockey games. Fiore's is (I'm assuming they haven't changed) a trip into the past. 80 year old Italian guy (I doubt he is still alive) making mutz in a giant metal bowl, serving roast beef off a giant hunk of meat fresh out of the oven and like 5 items for sale on an ancient wooden shelf. I tried getting it on trips back to Hoboken, but they sell out fast. The bread is fantastic, too. I can still taste it... Now I need to go back! Once COVID is gone, I'm taking a Wednesday off and making a trip into the 'Boke for Fiore's. And if I ever go back to my office, I need to check out that Bahn Mi place in Edison.
Ron Howard Narration: Don't call it that.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Awww, both of you subscribe to NJ.com???
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:55 am Awww, both of you subscribe to NJ.com???
No, you click "sign in", then X out, and you can read the article but with a grey background. I ain't paying for that garbage. Actually, the first time I've clicked on them since they put up a paywall.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

: (
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I am a Sunday subscriber and thought I had registered an account but it told me I hadn't when I tried to reset my password and when I clicked back to register I found the loophole Syb mentioned and just read it that way.

I'll post pictures next weekend if that article is in Sunday's paper. You're welcome.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Should also mention that after I gave up on my Hoboken dreams on Saturday I found myself in Millburn (picking up new running shoes for one of the kids) and decided to stop here on the way home. Grabbed an "eggplant wedge" (fried eggplant, smoked mozzerala, roasted peppers and balsamic on bread) for my wife and the Jersey italian for the kid, and some olives. Everything was really good, and they were super nice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The weird section of Millburn everyone forgets exists unless you end up driving through it.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 11:36 am The weird section of Millburn everyone forgets exists unless you end up driving through it.

There’s two of those sections. Mia Familia is on Main St.before the bridge over 78 as you’re traveling into Springfield. The section I always forget about is the section closer to Wine Library and Scotties. That section just can’t get itself going like the center of town.

With the sandwiches, I’ve had 8, 7, 4, and 2. I think Fiori’s only serves the #1 on Friday’s and Saturdays. Went there during the week once and was disappointed but the Virginia ham and cheese sammie I did get was a nice consolation.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

serrano wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 pm The section I always forget about is the section closer to Wine Library and Scotties. That section just can’t get itself going like the center of town.
Too close to {holds nose} Short Hills.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

serrano wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 pm The section I always forget about is the section closer to Wine Library and Scotties.
Both my kids went to daycare/pre-school at Superkids (behind the Shoprite), so I was in that neighborhood every day for 5 years or so.

That eggplant wedge sound fantastic, just not sure how I feel about the "Italian pitza bread."
-Pruitt
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 6:06 pm
serrano wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:23 pm The section I always forget about is the section closer to Wine Library and Scotties.
Both my kids went to daycare/pre-school at Superkids (behind the Shoprite), so I was in that neighborhood every day for 5 years or so.

That eggplant wedge sound fantastic, just not sure how I feel about the "Italian pitza bread."
I got the wedge (inspired by rass) but they put it on an italian roll which was delicious. They ran out of the pitza bread apparently but I was happy with the substitution.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

My wife (fiancee, technically) lived in Bloomfield for a year or two before we got married. Always thought it was more or less a wasteland unless you wanted a plain old pub or by the numbers Italian/American (or ice cream, there was a Magic Fountain downtown). There was one neighborhood pizza place there that I really liked that made a "round" Sicilian that was just more crust and more sauce. I think they're still there but haven't had the pizza in 20+ years.

Bloomfield has definitely upgraded a bit since then. Years later there was a great place called the Orange Squirrel not too far from that pizza place mister d linked. Then they went out and were replaced by what appeared to be an upscale pizzeria/craft beer spot that I never tried (I used to be in the area regularly if I needed the dealer to work with my car), and I was half-expecting Blue Steel to be there.

Favorite place in that area (in the opposite direction of Montclair, at least) was the Belmont Tavern, over the border in Belleville. That place was a true experience, and haven't been there in years either.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

(I guess the Belmont is still open)

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

What do you know about Emily's, Rass?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

mister d wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:11 am What do you know about Emily's, Rass?
Portuguese bakery in the fair city center of my hometown?

I used to go there relatively often when the kids were of stroller and wake up too early on the weekends and need to be supervised age. I'd walk one of them there for breakfast and let my wife sleep in. They had a slicing chorizo that when combined with egg and cheese on a Portuguese roll made for an excellent breakfast sandwich. Never really had anything other than breakfast or pastries there. Natas are good, but I'm not Portuguese so who am I to judge?

If you're in U center just make sure to go to Jammed Up and get some cookies in addition to whatever else you do.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

[every present-day athlete voice] LEEETTTSSS GOOOOOOO!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Anyone tried?

There is a place here in Union (Sticky's Finger Joint, think it's a chain) that I still want to get to before I bother going to Chatham. And there was an Asian-fusion stand at the farmer's market last year that had great looking chicken sandwiches, but I was determined to support our friend's taco stand so I only got apps from there a couple of times and never had a sandwich. That guy is a trained chef (@lovefoodmore on IG) who closed up shop a little early last fall because his wife was his only employee and she went and gave birth.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Never been. Slamwich in Madison is really good and you could just hit up Twin Elephant while in the area to make it all worth while.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I def recommended Slamwich at some point and agree. Haven't made Twin Elephant yet (tried once over my lunch hour back in the day and got turned around somewhere, missed it, and gave up).
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:47 pm Anyone tried?

There is a place here in Union (Sticky's Finger Joint, think it's a chain) that I still want to get to before I bother going to Chatham. And there was an Asian-fusion stand at the farmer's market last year that had great looking chicken sandwiches, but I was determined to support our friend's taco stand so I only got apps from there a couple of times and never had a sandwich. That guy is a trained chef (@lovefoodmore on IG) who closed up shop a little early last fall because his wife was his only employee and she went and gave birth.
The Chatham place looks amazing. Sticky’s is decent chicken, but I’ve only gone there when I’ve been running errands on 22 and needed something to tide me over til dinner. In that respect it does the job, but it ain’t destination chicken.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 5:59 pmHaven't made Twin Elephant yet (tried once over my lunch hour back in the day and got turned around somewhere, missed it, and gave up).
Its in a weird spot if you have any familiarity with Chatham. I'd give directions now but Google Maps exists so that would seem dumb ... once you find the parking lot they're in the back left corner of that building.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

serrano wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 6:19 pmThe Chatham place looks amazing.
Its awesome and the price is understandable because they make most everything in house.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Glanced at the logo for this place as it flashed by in my feed and had to stop and look again a little more carefully...

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:09 pm
I have no dog in this fight and I also have no nails at this point. RU getting some big o rebounds.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Get those kids some mozzarella sticks for their sandwiches!!!
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

rass wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:29 pm Get those kids some mozzarella sticks for their sandwiches!!!
FAT BITCHES FOR EVERYBODY!!!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 9:29 amIf you're in U center just make sure to go to Jammed Up and get some cookies in addition to whatever else you do.
They gotta cookie this week with Cadbury mini-eggs and they’re fucking great.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

Gotta an anniversary dinner to plan up here and am calling for reccos of the Turtle and the Wolf variety (enjoyed that place
But want to try something new. Wiling to drive 15 miles
Radius from Springfield or just stay local. Any good
Noshs spots. We’re pretty open cuisine -wise. Hit us up.

ETA: byob, duh.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

serrano wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:12 pm Gotta an anniversary dinner to plan up here and am calling for reccos of the Turtle and the Wolf variety (enjoyed that place

This place got a nice review
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Common Lot in Millburn.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

sancarlos wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:00 pm
serrano wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 8:12 pm Gotta an anniversary dinner to plan up here and am calling for reccos of the Turtle and the Wolf variety (enjoyed that place

This place got a nice review
Sadly, booked to the hilt. And to save your time, all of the othe ones in a 50 mile radius are also jammed that day.
serrano
Brandt

Post by serrano »

mister d wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 9:03 pm Common Lot in Millburn.
Common Lot it is.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Short Hills Mall, baby.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

mister d wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:04 pm Short Hills Mall, baby.
I googled it so now I know what was the incident you’re on about. But, how about in the future you just tell us and don’t make people go do that?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian