Yacht Rock

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, brian, ZMan, Sabo

User avatar
DaveInSeattle
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 4445
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 5:51 am
Location: Seattle, WA

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by DaveInSeattle » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:04 pm

rass wrote:
brian wrote:
DaveInSeattle wrote:My GF got a new car last weekend, and it came with XM radio for a year, so I programmed in Yacht Rock for her.

Just how many times a day does "Sailing" by Christopher Cross get played?
Not enough?
Right? If anyone should appreciate that song.

Unless it's all a lie and the canvas *can't* do miracles...
She asked me today "Do any sailboats even have canvas anymore?"

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by P.D.X. » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:14 pm

YR is not about technicalities.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:15 pm

P.D.X. wrote:YR is not about technicalities.
+1. Leave your technicalities and worries back at home, man.
Image

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:19 pm

Then we might as well throw Jimmy Buffett up there.

See what you've done?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
Ryan
The Dude
Posts: 7532
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by Ryan » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:03 pm

Margaritaville (the Pina Colada Song)
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:07 pm

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
mister d
The Dude
Posts: 18592
Joined: Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:15 am

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by mister d » Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:16 pm

This is a good reference.
rass wrote:
Mon Apr 20, 2020 11:20 am
I'm definitely known as "the boy who cried penis" in town.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by sancarlos » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:54 am

rass wrote:^^^^
I got jumped. I love Gordo, don't think he qualifies. I'm assuming we're doing solo artists. If not may need to rethink all four slots, and yeah, Ambrosia is smoooooooth.
Gordon Lightfoot is NOT yacht rock.
rass wrote:but again does Jay Ferguson have another hit?
Fun fact: Jay Ferguson did the theme to The Office.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Thu Jul 13, 2017 4:55 pm

rass wrote:
tennbengal wrote:I can't find it on my XM. It isn't on Channel 17 like it is supposed to be, something called Love remains in that spot. Sad.
That's it. They haven't updated the station name yet for some reason.
They updated the channel name!

Just in time for it to move next weekend?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by tennbengal » Thu Jul 13, 2017 9:22 pm

Saw that tonight- all felt right in the world for a brief moment.

Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 6437
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: NAPES, FLURRDA
Contact:

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by Gunpowder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am

What is Gordon Lightfoot? Is he too folky? Play Sundown on a yacht and boat shoes would certainly shuffle.
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

Gunpowder
The Dude
Posts: 6437
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:52 am
Location: NAPES, FLURRDA
Contact:

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by Gunpowder » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:39 am

Carefree highhhhhwayyyyy, but in water and not on a roadddddd
"Enjoyed this one," Gunpowder told the Burlington Observer. "But it's back to work tomorrow."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:55 am

Gunpowder wrote:What is Gordon Lightfoot? Is he too folky? Play Sundown on a yacht and boat shoes would certainly shuffle.
I think a little too folky. And always a chance that this comes on and ruins the mood.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:42 am

Gunpowder wrote:What is Gordon Lightfoot? Is he too folky? Play Sundown on a yacht and boat shoes would certainly shuffle.
I think the lyrics are a little too dark on that song for Yacht Rock. One man's opinion. I also found it to be a kind of sinister song. (Not that that's necessarily a bad thing.)
Image

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:58 pm

Dear Yachty,

I'm ok with I Cant Tell You Why but I feel like some might not be. I don't care though...

-rass
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
A_B
The Dude
Posts: 15495
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:36 am
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by A_B » Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:18 pm

Cause it's late?
Duke's working the knob! Flush it all

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:59 pm

Rupert Holmes' "Answering Machine" is probably the worst Yacht Rock song ever, yet it does do a good job of presaging our technological dystopia where personal relationships are concerned.
Image

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by tennbengal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:00 pm

brian wrote:Rupert Holmes' "Answering Machine" is probably the worst Yacht Rock song ever, yet it does do a good job of presaging our technological dystopia where personal relationships are concerned.


Pretty sure that competition is closed, it's simply beyond belief awful.

Also, Georgy Porgy is pretty terrible.

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by tennbengal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:02 pm

From discussion last page, my Yacht Rock top 5 in no particular order:

Steely Dan
Gerry Rafferty
Seals & Croft
Ambrosia
Boz Scaggs

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:04 pm

tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:Rupert Holmes' "Answering Machine" is probably the worst Yacht Rock song ever, yet it does do a good job of presaging our technological dystopia where personal relationships are concerned.


Pretty sure that competition is closed, it's simply beyond belief awful.

Also, Georgy Porgy is pretty terrible.


Agreed. Also, where the fuck is "Dreadlock Holiday" this summer, SiriusXM? (I had to Google it and was kind shocked to learn those dudes are white. I wonder if it got dropped from the rotation for cultural appropriation or what?)
Image

tennbengal
The Dude
Posts: 6498
Joined: Wed Apr 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by tennbengal » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:08 pm

brian wrote:
tennbengal wrote:
brian wrote:Rupert Holmes' "Answering Machine" is probably the worst Yacht Rock song ever, yet it does do a good job of presaging our technological dystopia where personal relationships are concerned.


Pretty sure that competition is closed, it's simply beyond belief awful.

Also, Georgy Porgy is pretty terrible.


Agreed. Also, where the fuck is "Dreadlock Holiday" this summer, SiriusXM? (I had to Google it and was kind shocked to learn those dudes are white. I wonder if it got dropped from the rotation for cultural appropriation or what?)


Nope, I've heard it begin twice before flipping away until it is over...

User avatar
Rush2112
The Dude
Posts: 5956
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 4:35 pm
Location: Cyrus X-1
Contact:

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by Rush2112 » Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:55 pm

brian wrote:Agreed. Also, where the fuck is "Dreadlock Holiday" this summer, SiriusXM?


I Love It!
"If you're into power let's go down to my van, because Red Barchetta through a 10 gigawatt pre-amp is-wait... pleassee tell me you're into Rush...."

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:03 pm

Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:Agreed. Also, where the fuck is "Dreadlock Holiday" this summer, SiriusXM?


I Love It!


10cc also have I'm Not In Love and The Things You Do Love. Pretty good! But I think a victim of expanding the playlist this year. I think YR has basically become The Bridge minus James Taylor plus YR bumpers. Little disappointed this year you guys.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:46 pm

I'm working on a 2017 Yacht Rock wrap-up post to correspond with the end of the 2017 yacht rock season and I don't want to give tooooo much away, but I'll tease this. I complement a Steely Dan song.
Image

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:41 pm

rass wrote:
Rush2112 wrote:
brian wrote:Agreed. Also, where the fuck is "Dreadlock Holiday" this summer, SiriusXM?


I Love It!


10cc also have I'm Not In Love and The Things You Do Love. Pretty good! But I think a victim of expanding the playlist this year. I think YR has basically become The Bridge minus James Taylor plus YR bumpers. Little disappointed this year you guys.


And it's gone.

Flipping through the channels and hit The Bridge. A James Taylor song was playing.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Wed Sep 06, 2017 4:52 pm

Yeah, went to pick up a couple of things and was jarred back to earth with a Beatles song. Damn, you SXM. (Though with my Alexa in my office at least I can listen to it still any time I want, just not in the car.)
Image

Jerloma
The Dude
Posts: 5687
Joined: Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:10 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by Jerloma » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:47 pm

Do you have Bluetooth in your car? You can just type Yacht Rock into Apple Music and like 58 playlists come up.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:55 pm

Jerloma wrote:Do you have Bluetooth in your car? You can just type Yacht Rock into Apple Music and like 58 playlists come up.


I could technically connect to SXM via its app on my phone via Bluetooth in my car speakers if I really wanted to go to the hassle, but I'll just go back to XMU and Alt Nation.

(Yacht Rock while I'm in my office working is usually better anyway as a "music soothes the savage beast" kinda thing.)
Image

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by sancarlos » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:38 pm

Unpopular opinion - I prefer The Bridge to Yacht Rock station. It's not a "go to" choice, but I like it for the same reason Brian mentioned.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:49 pm

Jerloma wrote:Do you have Bluetooth in your car? You can just type Yacht Rock into Apple Music and like 58 playlists come up.


faaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrttt
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by sancarlos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:08 pm

I just posted a video of Paul Carrack singing "Tempted" for Squeeze in the Spins thread, and it reminded me of this great song - the one hit for one-hit wonder, Ace. Paul Carrack sings lead on it, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo_GMMLULXw
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:20 pm

He also played keyboards on Roxy Music's 'Manifesto'.

They're the greatest underrated band that everybody knows.

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by sancarlos » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:22 pm

EnochRoot wrote:He also played keyboards on Roxy Music's 'Manifesto'.

They're the greatest underrated band that everybody knows.

Yeah, Bryan Ferry was smooth as silk. They had some great stuff.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
EnochRoot
Donny
Posts: 2671
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 6:18 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by EnochRoot » Fri Oct 13, 2017 8:32 pm

sancarlos wrote:
EnochRoot wrote:He also played keyboards on Roxy Music's 'Manifesto'.

They're the greatest underrated band that everybody knows.

Yeah, Bryan Ferry was smooth as silk. They had some great stuff.


Don't sleep on Eno or Manzanera either..Seminal stuff.

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 pm

tennbengal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:53 pm
I did a google search and came up empty --- anyone know if Yacht Rock radio is returning to XM/Sirius for the summer again for 2018?
Hmmm...

I see they are running a Beach Boys channel all summer (starting this weekend). Fleetwood Mac is limited run but just started earlier this month.

I found a tweet from @SXM_Help (blue check) saying it will come back "most likely closer to summer months".
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Tue May 22, 2018 4:42 pm

rass wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 3:45 pm
tennbengal wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 1:53 pm
I did a google search and came up empty --- anyone know if Yacht Rock radio is returning to XM/Sirius for the summer again for 2018?
Hmmm...

I see they are running a Beach Boys channel all summer (starting this weekend). Fleetwood Mac is limited run but just started earlier this month.

I found a tweet from @SXM_Help (blue check) saying it will come back "most likely closer to summer months".
Last year it was around Memorial Day weekend, but it basically came on with almost no warning.
Image

User avatar
sancarlos
The Dude
Posts: 11206
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 1:46 pm
Location: NorCal via Colorado

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by sancarlos » Tue May 22, 2018 4:46 pm

If you've got an account, you can listen online to Yacht Rock right now. Channel 311 at siriusxm.com
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian

I never shoulda punched that horse. - AB

User avatar
rass
The Dude
Posts: 13310
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 9:41 am
Location: N effin' J

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by rass » Wed May 23, 2018 2:03 pm

uh oh

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.

P.D.X.
Walter Sobchak
Posts: 3501
Joined: Wed Mar 13, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by P.D.X. » Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am

I probably just don't "get it", but what's so holy about the Sirius station when you can listen to the same smooth jams via other sources? Spotify has like million YR playlists.

User avatar
brian
The Dude
Posts: 20449
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 10:52 am
Location: 15 Yemen Road, Yemen City, Yemen

Re: Yacht Rock

Post by brian » Thu May 24, 2018 10:45 am

P.D.X. wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 10:41 am
I probably just don't "get it", but what's so holy about the Sirius station when you can listen to the same smooth jams via other sources? Spotify has like million YR playlists.
If you're listening on your computer, nothing. It's a little bit harder in the car to listen via Spotify as opposed to a "regular" S/XM channel. Not undoable, but more of a pain in the ass. Also, they do do a really good job of programming the channel.
Image

Post Reply