What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

rass
The Dude

Re: What the fuck is wrong with people (thread)

Post by rass »

My wife works in public health. The last couple of years she's moved into more of an administrative role, but there is one particular program she still does. It is directed towards first graders, and is primarily an educational presentation on the dangers of substance abuse (that's where the grant money comes from), but has a general coping with feelings, feeling good about yourself, standing up for yourself lesson, and that includes teaching good touch and bad touch. This morning three kids (again, first graders) came up to the adults running the program and self-reported being abused at home. Two of them spoke directly to my wife (the other one went to a teacher in the school who apparently needed to herself speak to a councilor afterwards). By rule she had to report this to DYFS, though the principal asked her to skip that so she (the principal) could do it herself.

DYFS has documented her report, but is not sending anyone out to speak to the children or their families at this time. My wife is sort of ruined right about now.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Jesus.

My admiration, respect and sympathies go out to people like your wife who do the necessary but gut wrenching jobs.

I guess sometimes knowing that you are helping people can't make up for the stress associated with the job.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Damn. Three out of how many? But unless this is from a population of every first grader in several typical elementary schools, that's a really high percentage. And it's only those who are standing up right now to reach out for help.

What's the DYFS plan?
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Luckily (for her at least, I guess) she doesn't have to handle this frequently. She's been doing this program for years, and this is the first time any of the kids reported anything to her. I didn't push her on any details, so I don't know if the kids lived in the same house or something.

These were first graders from just one elementary school. There are well over a dozen elementary schools in the city where she works, but I don't know what that means for class sizes. I would assume we're talking about less than 200 kids.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

A couple of weeks ago, I went to one of our markets to install some new Macs and do a few other things. When I was finished, I set aside a bunch of old Macs and told the business manager out there that some of them can have their hard drives wiped and then given or sold to employees, while a few others were too old to be useful. I labeled these computers as such.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I received this e-mail from the business manager:
Idiotic business manager wrote:I am finally cleaning the old imacs and the old apple towers.
To confirm there are two towers which say “Recycle”
And the other Two say “ Macpro 1.1 and some other specs”
Are all these four towers good to clean and give to employees?
I remember you saying two are good to be cleaned and given but the other two should be discarded, I have forgotten which ones
*rapidly pounds head on desk*

Now I have to figure out a tactful way to tell her that the two towers which say “recycle” are to be recycled and that the other two are good to be cleaned and given to employees.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Sabo wrote:A couple of weeks ago, I went to one of our markets to install some new Macs and do a few other things. When I was finished, I set aside a bunch of old Macs and told the business manager out there that some of them can have their hard drives wiped and then given or sold to employees, while a few others were too old to be useful. I labeled these computers as such.

Fast forward to yesterday, when I received this e-mail from the business manager:
Idiotic business manager wrote:I am finally cleaning the old imacs and the old apple towers.
To confirm there are two towers which say “Recycle”
And the other Two say “ Macpro 1.1 and some other specs”
Are all these four towers good to clean and give to employees?
I remember you saying two are good to be cleaned and given but the other two should be discarded, I have forgotten which ones
*rapidly pounds head on desk*

Now I have to figure out a tactful way to tell her that the two towers which say “recycle” are to be recycled and that the other two are good to be cleaned and given to employees.
If I were him, I would have been confused, too. If I read the term recycle, I would have thought it would be one to clean, and give out to reuse.

How about putting OK to give on the good ones, and Garbage on the others?
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

When I was on site, we talked about this plenty of times. She wanted me to go through their old hardware so we could determine what could be recycled or sold to employees. It wasn't as if I just did this as a nice gesture ... it was one of the main things she wanted me to do while I was there. You would think she'd remember that a "recycle" sticker on a computer means to recycle it since we talked about it so often.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HDO45331 wrote:
If I were him, I would have been confused, too. If I read the term recycle, I would have thought it would be one to clean, and give out to reuse.

How about putting OK to give on the good ones, and Garbage on the others?
Tech guys, ammirite?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Fellow writer and all around nice guy I know here in Toronto loves woodworking.

Over the course of a few weeks, he built, painted and set up one of those little lending libraries you see in some neighbourhoods. Neighbours come by, take a book, put in one of their old ones. They can return the book or keep it, but the idea is to keep books (in this case including kids books) circulating. I can't think of a nicer, more neighbourly thing to do.

He put the thing up a week or so ago - really proud and happy about it too.

What the fuck is wrong with people?
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

That is truly shitty.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

A 19th Century German poet/playwright named Heinrich Heine had a line in a play from 1821. "Dort wo man Bücher verbrennt, verbrennt man auch am Ende Menschen." Usually translated as "Where they have burned books, they will end in burning human beings."

A random fucked up individual did this, and I don't think Heine's idea applies, this incident just brings it to my mind. I think it works for governments/society.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Your translation is off - he meant "people" as in the magazine.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

that's very funny, lolz.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Bensell
Jesus Quintana

Post by Bensell »

That is truly shitty Pruitt.
Worldwide Frivologist and International Juke Artist
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Bensell wrote:That is truly shitty Pruitt.
It's shitty on so many levels. The fantasy Capra-esque conclusion would involve the neighbours getting together to fix up the library and restock it and reveal it as a surprise for the guy...

But there is just something so disheartening about this that you'd wonder why they'd bother to try to do something nice.

On Facebook, he posted that picture with only two words "People suck."
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Well, looks like the ending may be happy.

http://toronto.ctvnews.ca/neighbours-ra ... -1.2440215
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

goddammit, that makes me sad. (there are a number of those free libraries here in Vancouver...)
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Kids Jailed for Refusing Lunch With Dad

This fucking judge should go to jail for the same amount of time she kept those kids in juvie. Maybe that would teach her dumb ass that there are limits to her power.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Pruitt wrote:Fellow writer and all around nice guy I know here in Toronto loves woodworking.

Over the course of a few weeks, he built, painted and set up one of those little lending libraries you see in some neighbourhoods. Neighbours come by, take a book, put in one of their old ones. They can return the book or keep it, but the idea is to keep books (in this case including kids books) circulating. I can't think of a nicer, more neighbourly thing to do.

Lots, of course. But this kind of thing done by the pathetic micro-minority often builds community by triggering a counter-response in the constructive majority.

We're gradually moving out a good bit of our home library through three front-yard libraries in our neighborhood. Lovely idea. No vandalism yet, though there's quite a bit of it around here. Plants and pillows stolen off front porches, pottery smashed, that kind of thing. Perhaps there is greater respect for books.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

DC47 wrote:
Pruitt wrote:Fellow writer and all around nice guy I know here in Toronto loves woodworking.

Lots, of course. But this kind of thing done by the pathetic micro-minority often builds community by triggering a counter-response in the constructive majority.

We're gradually moving out a good bit of our home library through three front-yard libraries in our neighborhood. Lovely idea. No vandalism yet, though there's quite a bit of it around here. Plants and pillows stolen off front porches, pottery smashed, that kind of thing. Perhaps there is greater respect for books.
Bless him - he rebuilt the thing.

And cynical bastard that I am, I was touched to learn that his neighbours pitched in to help him out. You can just see from his postings that they have bouyed him back up.

DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Kids Jailed for Refusing Lunch With Dad

This fucking judge should go to jail for the same amount of time she kept those kids in juvie. Maybe that would teach her dumb ass that there are limits to her power.
To me, this story screams 'incomplete information' about a long-running intra-family civil war.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

DC47 wrote:
howard wrote:Kids Jailed for Refusing Lunch With Dad

To me, this story screams 'incomplete information' about a long-running intra-family civil war.
Parental Alienation is real, but this is fucking horrible. Hope she loses her job.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

What I speculatively read into this is a colossal family disaster that has gone for years, and includes wacko parents, with a judge who doesn't have the tools it would take to really try to salvage the situation for the kids. She's trying to get their attention with this order, that will never be carried out.

I'm sad for the kids. This kind of situation is one that only a real community of close friends and extended family can begin to ameliorate, and few of us live in one.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

The judge's order was carried out. The three children were in juvenile detention for two weeks. The judge then blamed a local tv station for causing a sensation when she decided to release the children.

My first reaction was the same as yours, but the judge really did this. Two weeks locked up. She belongs in jail.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

I admit that I'm surprised it got to that point. But while I'm less certain than before, I'll stick with my opinion that this is a family from hell, and the judge is using the inadequate tools she has to try to do something to break through a long-term battle that is leaving the kids in a bad way.

I don't know the legal procedure, but if she does indeed think these people are horrible parents, then she could do something that would remove custody from both parents and leave the kids placed in foster care. That is often a horrible outcome, but it might be a useful move.

I have a feeling the judge is trying to follow King Solomon's path on this one. That's easier done in a work of fiction, or even if you are a real king, than by a modern judge in the glare of the internet.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

If there's any justice, there will be an immediate boycott of this asshole's practice.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Gay Hooters@GayHooters 24 minutes ago
Stop by Gay Hooters for a Walter Palmer - Iced Tea and Lemonade stirred with a tiny penis.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

He sure likes killing things.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Here's what is happening to Dr. Palmer at the moment...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... .mopo0arWn
Users tweeted death threats and began sharing the contact information for Palmer’s dental practice, River Bluff Dental.
The Yelp page for River Bluff Dental has also been completely overtaken by hateful comments. Many of which are five-star reviews so they float to the top of Yelp’s user reviews section.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

8 year-old Santa Cruz girl goes missing...
Entire town rallies to search for her...
eventually, she is found...
dead...
in a dumpster...
15 year-old boy arrested for murder...
kid lived in the same apartment complex...

Fuck.

link
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:8 year-old Santa Cruz girl goes missing...
Entire town rallies to search for her...
eventually, she is found...
dead...
in a dumpster...
15 year-old boy arrested for murder...
kid lived in the same apartment complex...

Fuck.

link
Yeah, that's an awful story. So glad my sister, brother in-law and their kiddos (ages 10 and 8) decided to stick around and camp in Colorado this week instead of heading back to Santa Cruz so that the kids wouldn't have to see or hear too much about this. The rest of the family out there has been sharing the details of this story on FB since she went missing. So so sad.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
degenerasian
The Dude

Post by degenerasian »

Pruitt wrote:Here's what is happening to Dr. Palmer at the moment...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/ryanhatesthis/t ... .mopo0arWn
Users tweeted death threats and began sharing the contact information for Palmer’s dental practice, River Bluff Dental.
The Yelp page for River Bluff Dental has also been completely overtaken by hateful comments. Many of which are five-star reviews so they float to the top of Yelp’s user reviews section.
yeah it's odd that some people, and especially people on those yelp reviews, are so appalled at the murder of another living being, yet have no problem at all torturing/ruining/murdering/flaying the dentist.
Kung Fu movies are like porn. There's 1 on 1, then 2 on 1, then a group scene..
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

degenerasian wrote:yeah it's odd that some people, and especially people on those yelp reviews, are so appalled at the murder of another living being, yet have no problem at all torturing/ruining/murdering/flaying the dentist.
Yeah. I was the one who first posted the story, so I was pretty quick with the "Hey, look at this asshole" sentiment, but now...the guy's still a big asshole, but the sheer level of vitriol has probably surpassed what he deserves. If you look at the details of the story, it's plausible he was unaware that the killing was illegal and of the significance of that particular lion. This is a guy with a wife and kids, and his career and his life have been effectively ruined. Good job, unimpeachably virtuous people on social media.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Well, I'm sure if it does come out that he was duped into thinking this was a legal hunt that the unimpeachably virtuous people on social media will rush to his defense.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's still kind of a dick for paying $55K to kill a lion.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote:He's still kind of a dick for paying $55K to kill a lion.
The shill of the hunt!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Johnny Carwash wrote:
degenerasian wrote:yeah it's odd that some people, and especially people on those yelp reviews, are so appalled at the murder of another living being, yet have no problem at all torturing/ruining/murdering/flaying the dentist.
Yeah. I was the one who first posted the story, so I was pretty quick with the "Hey, look at this asshole" sentiment, but now...the guy's still a big asshole, but the sheer level of vitriol has probably surpassed what he deserves. If you look at the details of the story, it's plausible he was unaware that the killing was illegal and of the significance of that particular lion. This is a guy with a wife and kids, and his career and his life have been effectively ruined. Good job, unimpeachably virtuous people on social media.
I am trying to work up sympathy for him, but having a hard time. Maybe don't go kill a lion here in the 21st century?
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

One man's dentist is another man's animal mudering cunt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Not really psyched about anyone who hunts anything for sport. I accept deer hunting as a necessary evil because of overpopulation even if I don't want to partake myself, but you can't convince me there's any excuse for hunting animals of which there are so few of in the wild under any circumstance. Full stop.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!