MAC Football Thread - 2018 and beyond

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

MAC Football Thread - 2018 and beyond

Post by brian »

Who ya got? Is this the year NIU's stranglehold on the MAC West is released? Can Western win its first title in 29 years? Will Syb realize that his alma mater's football team plays in the MAC?

Anyway, gimme Bowling Green vs. Western Michigan in the title game with Western winning the title. I hope to Christ I'm wrong, but if I'm right at least Admiral Dipshit over in Kalamazoo will be snapped up by another program.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Sabo
The Dude

Re: MAC Football 2016 Thread

Post by Sabo »

OU should be pretty good, but it seems like every time we expect good things from the program something stupid happens (injuries, crippling losses at home versus inferior competition, etc.). Mulligan and I are going to the OU at Tennessee game in a couple of weeks, which should be a good time despite our decision to stay in Lexington and play golf with AB.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I am going Western. And BSU is wearing black helmets this year. Only news about them.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:OU should be pretty good, but it seems like every time we expect good things from the program something stupid happens (injuries, crippling losses at home versus inferior competition, etc.). Mulligan and I are going to the OU at Tennessee game in a couple of weeks, which should be a good time despite our decision to stay in Lexington and play golf with AB.
Sorry, but you're going to get your ass kicked tomorrow.

(I don't really believe this, but I thought there should be at least one trash-talking post)
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote:
Sabo wrote:OU should be pretty good, but it seems like every time we expect good things from the program something stupid happens (injuries, crippling losses at home versus inferior competition, etc.). Mulligan and I are going to the OU at Tennessee game in a couple of weeks, which should be a good time despite our decision to stay in Lexington and play golf with AB.

(I don't really believe this, but I thought there should be at least one trash-talking post)
I read somewhere that this is the first Bobcats vs. Bobcats contest in college football history. Nothing like making a little history this weekend!

You can have the trash talk. I'll just take the victory.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Game of the week going to OT in Athens OH now you guys.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:
Giff wrote:

I read somewhere that this is the first Bobcats vs. Bobcats contest in college football history. Nothing like making a little history this weekend!

You can have the trash talk. I'll just take the victory.
I'll take both, thank you very much.

Crazy game!
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Giff wrote:I'll take both, thank you very much.

Crazy game!
Boy, did I call this up thread.
Sabo wrote:OU should be pretty good, but it seems like every time we expect good things from the program something stupid happens (injuries, crippling losses at home versus inferior competition, etc.).
Losing Oulette on the third play was a huge loss. My guess is OU's game plan was to hand the ball off to Oulette at least 30 times and just beat up the TXST defensive line. Clearly that didn't happen. Then again, the green Bobcats shot themselves in the foot repeatedly with just blatantly stupid penalties. If I were the coach and any of my players got a taunting penalty they'd ride the pine the rest of the game. Inexcusable.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

BTW, lost in all the hoo-ha about the CMU/Okla St game, Ohio knocked off Kansas on Saturday as well. So the MAC was 2-0 against the Big 12.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I was definitely off on my prediction of BG to win the East. Good lord. Looks like it might come down to Akron and Ohio, but who knows over there.

Anyway, it's Hate Week in the MAC this week with a huge slate of rivalry games.

You have the Battle of the Bricks (Ohio-Miami), The Wagon Wheel (Kent-Akron), the Bronze Stalk (NIU-Ball State) and of course the Grandaddy of them all, The Battle for The Cannon (Central-Western). (Though the Cannon trophy is pretty recent and really this game is such a huge rivalry never needed any kind of traveling trophy, but I digress).

I'm going to be a mess on Saturday night, y'all. Fuck PJ Fleck and his douche face and his douche ties and his douche slogans. And fuck Western.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

A little bit of history. There were riots three straight years after Central-Western games (two in Kalamazoo and one in Mount Pleasant).

The story references CMU's president discussing halting the series, which was never a serious consideration considering the MAC would have likely booted one or both teams if they couldn't play each other. The governor of the state of Michigan threatened to stop the game after the 1992 Kalamazoo riot.

I was there in Mount Pleasant in 1993 and I can tell you that since then Mount Pleasant is like a police state for Western-Central weekend. In 1993, no fewer than about 150 additional police were brought in from the Michigan State Police and other area police departments within a 50-mile radius. In a town of 20,000 people. There was literally a police car on every intersection in the main student housing area north of campus.

Needless to say since then any issues have been fewer and far between.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:I was definitely off on my prediction of BG to win the East. Good lord. Looks like it might come down to Akron and Ohio, but who knows over there.

Anyway, it's Hate Week in the MAC this week with a huge slate of rivalry games.

You have the Battle of the Bricks (Ohio-Miami), The Wagon Wheel (Kent-Akron), the Bronze Stalk (NIU-Ball State) and of course the Grandaddy of them all, The Battle for The Cannon (Central-Western). (Though the Cannon trophy is pretty recent and really this game is such a huge rivalry never needed any kind of traveling trophy, but I digress).

I'm going to be a mess on Saturday night, y'all. Fuck PJ Fleck and his douche face and his douche ties and his douche slogans. And fuck Western.
Despite the 2-2 record, I'm bullish on the Bobcats this year. Their offense has been quite prolific, despite all the injuries to their running backs. Right now, the Bobcats are starting Bo Hardy, who is their sixth-string (SIXTH!) running back after AJ Oullette, Maleek Irons, Dorian Brown, Papi White and Vinny Emanuele. Greg Windham, a RS senior, has played very well despite his lack of starts (he never started before this season) and penchant for throwing behind his receivers. Sebastian Smith had a great game against Tennessee, and Jordan Reid and Kyle Belack have played well in other games. Defensively, the front seven on defense might be the best in the MAC. Tarell Basham is their best defensive lineman and an NFL prospect. Quenting Poling is a tackling machine who plays well in coverage. The defensive backs aren't that great, and that's probably my biggest concern about the team.

But as you said, the MAC East is a tire fire except for Akron and OU. OU's last two games will be a great test (at Central and vs. Akron). I considered going to the Central game but I'll be on a work trip that week.

And yes, fuck PJ Fleck and those stupid oars. Worst uniforms in college football.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

OU also has Louie Zervos, the Greek god of Athens. He's arguably the best kicker in college football. He also has a great moustache.

Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

Sabo wrote:OU also has Louie Zervos, the Greek god of Athens. He's arguably the best kicker in college football. He also has a great moustache.

OU also has a loss to Texas State.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote:I was definitely off on my prediction of BG to win the East.
Any idea what happened to their defense? Not saying they were amazing last season, but the people up here are up in arms since Babers brought along his defensive coordinator from BG and the Syracuse defense, for the most part, sucks out loud. (D-line is very young, especially with zero collegiate snaps before this season from the DEs, and there are issues of size/speed in back seven as significant parts of the problem.)
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

DSafetyGuy wrote:
brian wrote:I was definitely off on my prediction of BG to win the East.
Any idea what happened to their defense? Not saying they were amazing last season, but the people up here are up in arms since Babers brought along his defensive coordinator from BG and the Syracuse defense, for the most part, sucks out loud. (D-line is very young, especially with zero collegiate snaps before this season from the DEs, and there are issues of size/speed in back seven as significant parts of the problem.)
Yeah, I'm not really sure. They lost a couple of seniors, but I never would have expected this. They look like they completely forgot how to play football. If anything the complete collapse of BG offensively and defensively should be pretty good evidence that Babers (and his coordinators) know what they're doing. They had a lot of people coming back with the exception of their QB, but that program is a smoking crater all of the sudden.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So... Any MACtion tonight worth noting?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Eastern Michigan beat Ohio yesterday for the first time since 1994. More amazingly it was their third straight win on the road first time they've won three straight road games since 1967.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Fuck Ohio! And the geek god of Athens!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ha. I think sabo is the geek god of Athens.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

USA TODAY salary database of college football coaches came out and all 12 MAC coaches combined make about 60 percent of what Jim Harbaugh makes ($6.2 million to $9 million). It's kind of amazing the MAC does as well as it does against Power Five schools.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Wow. That's pretty incredible. I just eye-balled it and I'm pretty sure that's gotta be the lowest average of any conference listed. Sun-Belt looked close, but they still look higher.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Woo ... huge win for the Bobcats last night, as they beat Toledo in the Glass Bowl. It was the Bobcats' first win over Toledo since 1988 and their first road win in Toledo since 1967. With Akron's inexplicable loss to Buffalo last night, OU now is a game up over Akron for the MAC East title.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Sabo wrote:It was the Bobcats' first win over Toledo since 1988 and their first road win in Toledo since 1967.
That's pretty nuts.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sabo wrote:Woo ... huge win for the Bobcats last night, as they beat Toledo in the Glass Bowl. It was the Bobcats' first win over Toledo since 1988 and their first road win in Toledo since 1967. With Akron's inexplicable loss to Buffalo last night, OU now is a game up over Akron for the MAC East title.
Good lord. I know they don't play every year any more, but that is crazy. Your boys better beat Western in the MAC Title Game. The fate of a nation rests in your hands.
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

EMU making a play to be #3 with a bullet among Michigan football teams. Still only slightly ahead of Cass Tech and MSU though. Dynasty in the making.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Central, Western and Eastern all bowl-eligible for the first since...forever.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

Nice of them to reinstate something that never existed in the first place.

I miss the days when rivalries where created the old-fashioned way...like a contested game or just pure hatred.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote:Nice of them to reinstate something that never existed in the first place.

I miss the days when rivalries where created the old-fashioned way...like a contested game or just pure hatred.
It was a pretty good rivalry when I was at Central. Geographically they're the two closest schools to each other. When the MAC expanded, it ceased to be a rivalry, but could be again.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote:Nice of them to reinstate something that never existed in the first place.

Also, as a Miami fan gotta be happy your protected crossover game is against Ball State as opposed to one of the better MAC West teams like Central, Western or Northern Illinois.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

Miami was my second least liked school when attending BSU. The first was Central.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

He also banged a booster's wife, causing his wife to leaving him. Millennial!
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote:

It was a pretty good rivalry when I was at Central. Geographically they're the two closest schools to each other. When the MAC expanded, it ceased to be a rivalry, but could be again.
It was in basketball and (believe it or not) volleyball...but the football programs never had anything other than indifference towards each other. I just don't like "forcing" these things...like the Uconn-UCF deal or what the Pac 12 is trying to do with Colorado & Utah. Let them grow to hate each other organically before creating the trophy and calling it a rivalry.

You are right, though...i would rather play Ball U than Central, Western, NIU or Toledo...if this keeps one of them off the schedule then I'll take it.
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I'm looking at it like that. If it makes it less likely that CMU gets Miami on the schedule more often I'm for it (I'm assuming Miami is going to return to being Miami sooner rather than later).

Unless the MAC follows the trend to go to a 9-game schedule (unlikely because of finances), then Miami would only play CMU (as an example, but also NIU, WMU, etc.) twice every five years. Maybe Toledo even less than that because they have a protected cross-over game also (vs. BG).
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

No breath being held, but I can safely say I am rooting harder for Ohio than I ever have in my life Friday.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

brian wrote:No breath being held, but I can safely say I am rooting harder for Ohio than I ever have in my life Friday.
Yup. I think we'll need to catch every break possible to win that game. Would be nice to shove that oar up Fleck's ass.
GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Post by GoodKarma »

As terrible of a person as Fleck is, from a conference standpoint it's better if Western wins. The $$$ from the big bowl plus takes one team out of competition for the MAC affiliated bowls.
What am I, 12?
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

GoodKarma wrote:As terrible of a person as Fleck is, from a conference standpoint it's better if Western wins. The $$$ from the big bowl plus takes one team out of competition for the MAC affiliated bowls.
This is true. I know OU benefitted greatly when Northern Illinois made it to the Orange Bowl a few years ago.