MAC Football Thread - 2018 and beyond

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

GoodKarma
The Big Lebowski

Re: MAC Football Thread - 2018 and beyond

Post by GoodKarma »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:19 pm CMU gets its first-ever 5-star commit!

(But it's a punter.)
Wait until the recruiting services drop him down to a 3-star since he committed to a MAC school. I've seen it before.
I would like expensive whiskey.
We only have beer & wine...
What am I, 12?
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 pm

(But it's a punter.)
Wait until the recruiting services drop him down to a 3-star since he committed to a MAC school. I've seen it before.
You're probably right. Worth noting that one of the main reasons he committed to CMU was because they were offering a full ride, which isn't common for punters (maybe unsurprisingly). I still think it's possible he ends up signing elsewhere before Signing Day in a couple of weeks, but we'll see. Either way, pretty impressed with how McElwain has beefed up this recruiting class and convinced some actually decent assistant coaches to join his staff. This will be in interesting experiment.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:13 pm
GoodKarma wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:10 pm

(But it's a punter.)
You're probably right. Worth noting that one of the main reasons he committed to CMU was because they were offering a full ride, which isn't common for punters (maybe unsurprisingly). I still think it's possible he ends up signing elsewhere before Signing Day in a couple of weeks, but we'll see. Either way, pretty impressed with how McElwain has beefed up this recruiting class and convinced some actually decent assistant coaches to join his staff. This will be in interesting experiment.
Funny, McElwain was fairly successful at Colorado State and parlayed it into the Florida job. CSU then hired Georgia OC Mike Bobo, and the results haven't been too good with him at CSU's helm. I think a lot of people would have been happy to cut loose Bobo if it meant McElwain would return to Fort Collins.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Could just be homerism, but I think he's going to do very well at CMU. The cupboard isn't bare for the most part and the facilities upgrades should help future recruiting classes. Not impossible he turns it around from 1-11 last year (which was really more like a 3-9/4-8 team*) to something like 7-5 or so this year and then hopefully better from there.

Question is going to be how long he stays if he turns it all the way around into a championship team. With being at CMU he'll have coached at just about every conceivable level of FBS, but he's still fairly young and I suspect he'll jump at the first second-tier Power Five or first-tier AAC job that comes along.

* - You could look it up -- their F/+ rankings had them as only about the 20th worst team in FBS and one of the better 1-11 teams since F/+ was invented. Teams which underperform F/+ relative to the win-loss records are usual ripe for a big turnaround from season to season. See Baylor from 2017 to 2018 for example.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Top 50 college football programs of all time, ranked by ESPN.

Two MAC schools make the list - Miami at #40 and Central Michigan at #41.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

brian wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 2:32 pm Could just be homerism, but I think he's going to do very well at CMU. The cupboard isn't bare for the most part and the facilities upgrades should help future recruiting classes. Not impossible he turns it around from 1-11 last year (which was really more like a 3-9/4-8 team*) to something like 7-5 or so this year and then hopefully better from there.

Question is going to be how long he stays if he turns it all the way around into a championship team. With being at CMU he'll have coached at just about every conceivable level of FBS, but he's still fairly young and I suspect he'll jump at the first second-tier Power Five or first-tier AAC job that comes along.

* - You could look it up -- their F/+ rankings had them as only about the 20th worst team in FBS and one of the better 1-11 teams since F/+ was invented. Teams which underperform F/+ relative to the win-loss records are usual ripe for a big turnaround from season to season. See Baylor from 2017 to 2018 for example.
Bump because sometimes we have to toot our own horns.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Re: MAC Football 2016 Thread

Post by DSafetyGuy »

brian wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2016 12:24 pmFuck PJ Fleck and his douche face and his douche ties and his douche slogans.
Goin' into the wayback machine for...

“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Least surprising news ever. Think I’ve shared my personal (well, close enough - friend from HS whose son played under Fleck) experience with what vile scum he is, even by the standards of college FB coaches.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I'm adopting that applause thing when I walk in the room with my team here at work.

(What a fucking weirdo.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

UMass joining the MAC in all sports. Interesting move for both sides. Leaving the A10 for the MAC is a step down in hoops but guess they feel they needed a conference for football more.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Have to assume the loss at La Salle was what did it. Can’t compete anymore.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The MAC will presumably add a 14th team in the near future as well and it’ll be fun to speculate where they go. Likely a school wanting to make the jump to FBS. There still also might be interest from Western Kentucky.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
MaxWebster
The Big Lebowski

Post by MaxWebster »

this matchup is gonna put mister d out of a job
Ryan wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2024 9:21 pm