Tax Q's Thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

P.D.X.
The Dude

Tax Q's Thread

Post by P.D.X. »

Hey HDO, or others...

So I was subcontracted on a project that the contractor ended up getting sacked on, thus I ended up not getting paid for 50% of my fees, even though I had completed the work. Can I claim this as a loss, and how? Currently I just have it as negative income, is this legit?

Edit: Scratch that. Only way I can get it to work w/ HR Block is to claim the loss as an expense.
Last edited by P.D.X. on Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rass
The Dude

Re: Tax Q's Thread

Post by rass »

HDO
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Was gonna go HoDOr, but K.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

If you weren't so busy fucking with your avatar you could have beat me to it.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

rass wrote:If you weren't so busy fucking with your avatar you could have beat me to it.
Yeah, bit the bigger point is fuck bronto.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Thought this was a dis track on Delaware.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

P.D.X. wrote:Hey HDO, or others...

So I was subcontracted on a project that the contractor ended up getting sacked on, thus I ended up not getting paid for 50% of my fees, even though I had completed the work. Can I claim this as a loss, and how? Currently I just have it as negative income, is this legit?

Edit: Scratch that. Only way I can get it to work w/ HR Block is to claim the loss as an expense.
If you were supposed to get, say, $15,000, but only received $7500, then you claim $7500 income. If you wanted to write-off the money not received, you woul have had to claim $15,000 income, with a deduction of $7500. In the end, it is all the same.

However, if you had expenses, all can be written off.

I have people who own rentals, and do their own work. The then want to write-off the cost of their labor. I just tell them that if they do that, they have to put that amount on a Schedule C and pay self-employment tax on that amount. That ends the conversation immediately.

HR Block?
It's the sixth version of The Swamp. What could possibly go wrong?
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I'm sending the IRS a check for 57 cents.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

You are just reporting on a cash basis, right?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

AB_skin_test wrote:I'm sending the IRS a check for 57 cents.
Those greedy muthafuckas.
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

HDO45331 wrote:

If you were supposed to get, say, $15,000, but only received $7500, then you claim $7500 income. If you wanted to write-off the money not received, you woul have had to claim $15,000 income, with a deduction of $7500. In the end, it is all the same.

However, if you had expenses, all can be written off.

I have people who own rentals, and do their own work. The then want to write-off the cost of their labor. I just tell them that if they do that, they have to put that amount on a Schedule C and pay self-employment tax on that amount. That ends the conversation immediately.

HR Block?
Yeah, that's what I figured. And am using HR Block online to file since my situation is fairly simple. Would you suggest otherwise?
Steve of phpBB wrote:You are just reporting on a cash basis, right?
Yes.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

I lost my job last month, and I'm ready to accept an offer on another.

I'm moving from an employee (and 1040) to part-owner (and 1099 for the first time). What pitfalls should I avoid? Should I set up an LLC? Should I hire an accountant? Is this thing on?

(thank you)
mini puke to 1,558
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

kranepool wrote:I lost my job last month, and I'm ready to accept an offer on another.

I'm moving from an employee (and 1040) to part-owner (and 1099 for the first time). What pitfalls should I avoid? Should I set up an LLC? Should I hire an accountant? Is this thing on?

(thank you)
Here is the bit of information that was most useful for me when deciding what kind of business entity to use for my work. Your results with this info may vary. HDO or some other true expert, please correct me if i'm in error.

The various business forms, sole proprietorship, partnership, LLC, and corporation, have varying degrees of paperwork and regulatory requirements. As a physician, when I worked for someone else, in recent years I took my pay as 1099 earnings. I could've just reported this income on an individual return, and fill out a schedule c to deduct expenses pertinent to my work. I could form an LLC, and while deductibility of some expenses is a little easier, the income and the expenses are ultimately reported on my individual return.

A corporation, however, has it's income reported on a separate tax return. The corporation, on its tax return, can claim all of the business related expenses. And they do not appear on your personal return. You have the choice of your little corporation paying you 1040 wages, withholding and all, or paying you 1099 compensation. The corporation sits between your the company you work for, and your individual self, and tax return. My corporation pays me a paycheck, with withholding and all. so my personal return is very simple; my corporate returns are a bit more complex.

Forming a corporation, and filing separate tax returns, is a lot of extra work. But, you get something for that extra work.

The audit rate of individual returns is roughly 1000 times higher than the audit rate for small corporation returns. Roughly, the odds of an audit of those business expenses is much lower if they are reported only on a corporation return, and if your individual return has only salary and standard deduction. Avoiding use of a Schedule C, especially one with a ton of business deductions, lowers your audit probability.

It took me asking lots of accountants and lawyers before someone hipped me to this fact. I took this back to some of those who had given me other long explanations of the pros and cons of which business form to take; they all conceded this fact was accurate. And this made my personal decision easy. It may not be the difference maker for you, but it is a good fact to know.

Doctors in most states have the option of forming a special type of corporation, a PC or Professional Services corporation. The paperwork for these, in NY at least, is easier than a straight incorporation. But the tax aspect mentioned above is the same.

Of course, an audit would have zero impact on my tax liability, as I am meticulously honest in listing of my business expenses. But avoiding the headache of an audit is worth the extra paperwork. Lest anyone think I would ever consider inappropriate business deductions that would be disallowed at audit. I can hardly conceive of something like that.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

kranepool wrote:I lost my job last month, and I'm ready to accept an offer on another.

(thank you)
The part-owner phrase is telling. Depending upon the type of business, if you are a part-owner, an LLC would probably be the best thing. The IRS default for an LLC is taxation as a partnership. A separate form can be filed, to gain corporation tax status, and a further form can be used to claim S-Corp status, instead of C-Corp status. With corporation status, you would be a (member) stockholder, and also an employee. That would make you pay payroll taxes (SUTA, FUTA, BWC) that generally are not paid by a pertnership.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a definite buy-sell agreement. Partnerships are like marriages; easier to get in than out.

PM me if you would like further discussion, talking possible dollar amounts involved.
kranepool
Bunny Lebowski

Post by kranepool »

Thank you both. I most genuinely appreciate it. I'll loop back and let you know how it goes.

I think I feel a "NAME MY LLC" Swampthread coming on.
mini puke to 1,558
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Dickey's Crap Cy Young Award LLC
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

HDO45331 wrote:

(thank you)
The part-owner phrase is telling. Depending upon the type of business, if you are a part-owner, an LLC would probably be the best thing. The IRS default for an LLC is taxation as a partnership. A separate form can be filed, to gain corporation tax status, and a further form can be used to claim S-Corp status, instead of C-Corp status. With corporation status, you would be a (member) stockholder, and also an employee. That would make you pay payroll taxes (SUTA, FUTA, BWC) that generally are not paid by a pertnership.

MOST IMPORTANT: Make sure you have a definite buy-sell agreement. Partnerships are like marriages; easier to get in than out.

PM me if you would like further discussion, talking possible dollar amounts involved.

Howard gave good advice, but these matters are extremely state specific. 99% of the time I advise NJ clients to form an LLC, but in New York, I often advise a corp. And in Howard's case, a professional corp is required (or professional LLC), but other states don't require professional in the name. I'd be happy to shed some light and answer questions, but I really only know NY and NJ on the state-specific issues.

HDO is very wise in recommending an agreement. Beyond just Buy-Sell, I'd highly recommend an Operating Agreement (LLC) or Shareholder Agreement (corp) to spell out all of the unforeseen issues. For example, without an agreement, if your partner gets divorced, his ex could get half the company (depending on state laws). Imagine getting stuck in business with a scorned ex-wife holding both of you by the balls. You definitely want a divorce provision and a provision limiting your partner's ability to sell without giving you a right of first refusal.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

say you're someone who works from home almost exclusively and already takes the home office deduction... can you deduct all of your television and internet? Without it, you can't perform your job. Or can you only deduct a portion?
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Brontoburglar wrote:say you're someone who works from home almost exclusively and already takes the home office deduction... can you deduct all of your television and internet? Without it, you can't perform your job. Or can you only deduct a portion?
That's a good question. I would assume that 100% of your susbscritption stuff(Gameplan, etc) should be covered, buu that only a portion of your regular cable/sattelite bill could.

Internet, however, I would think would be a full deduction.

I am not a tax professional.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

AB_skin_test wrote:
Brontoburglar wrote:say you're someone who works from home almost exclusively and already takes the home office deduction... can you deduct all of your television and internet? Without it, you can't perform your job. Or can you only deduct a portion?
That's a good question. I would assume that 100% of your susbscritption stuff(Gameplan, etc) should be covered, buu that only a portion of your regular cable/sattelite bill could.

Internet, however, I would think would be a full deduction.

I am not a tax professional.
Yeah, I'm going to have to get my taxes done this year by someone else or at least get a consultation.

I realized last night that I made a mistake in giving cash per diems to my speakers at my fitness conference. It's not a HUGE thing by any means, I didn't make five figures on the event, but the <$3000 in cash having to be reported as income is stupid on my part. Checks this year for everyone!
"We're not the smartest people in the world. We go down the straightaway and turn left. That's literally what we do." -- Clint Bowyer
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Obvs I am not a cash professional. But as long as you 1099 those per diems and record them properly, you should be good. If you are audited you may have a problem, but if you issue 1099s you are clearly legal.

Your speakers/independent contractors won't be happy. But the IRS should be.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

On a Schedule C, there is a line for utilities, and a separate line for the Home-office deduction.

The IRS is rather tight on the phone deduction. Your first phone line is not deductible. However you can add that to the utilities amount on the form for H-O deduction. This would allow you to take a large percentage of a cell phone bill.

You can take a percentage of the internet as a deduction. 50% should be OK.

Re: Cash per-diem payments. I would take them, and list them in your records. If $600 or more, 1099-MISC must be filed. If not, you are potentially subject to penalties.

There is a new provision for the Home-office deduction this year. Instead of keeping track of expenses, you can take $5 per square foot of your H-O. The same rules for deductibility still apply.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Yea! I got one right!

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

howard wrote:Yea! I got one right!
If you promise to not prepare taxes, I will promise to not anesthize people.
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

HDO45331 wrote:
On a Schedule C, there is a line for utilities, and a separate line for the Home-office deduction.

The IRS is rather tight on the phone deduction. Your first phone line is not deductible. However you can add that to the utilities amount on the form for H-O deduction. This would allow you to take a large percentage of a cell phone bill.

Re: Cash per-diem payments. I would take them, and list them in your records. If $600 or more, 1099-MISC must be filed. If not, you are potentially subject to penalties.

There is a new provision for the Home-office deduction this year. Instead of keeping track of expenses, you can take $5 per square foot of your H-O. The same rules for deductibility still apply.
Gracias. My speakers are all coming back, so I don't want to piss them off. Not like the money that they made would hurt them, but I think it'd be detrimental to future relationships. Of course, I could change that line of thinking with any thoughts after I see what my tax bill could be.

I made a point to set aside $$$ to cover my earnings and then am hoping to have a significant rebate on the standard work side of that because of the deductions I'll be able to take. I made sure to do as much as I could to prepare for it... I just wasn't thinking through the per diem part. (It was a speaking 'fee' as well as their meal money for one night.)
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HDO45331 wrote:On a Schedule C, there is a line for utilities, and a separate line for the Home-office....
rass wrote:zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Brontoburglar wrote:
HDO45331 wrote:

Gracias. My speakers are all coming back, so I don't want to piss them off. Not like the money that they made would hurt them, but I think it'd be detrimental to future relationships. Of course, I could change that line of thinking with any thoughts after I see what my tax bill could be.

I made a point to set aside $$$ to cover my earnings and then am hoping to have a significant rebate on the standard work side of that because of the deductions I'll be able to take. I made sure to do as much as I could to prepare for it... I just wasn't thinking through the per diem part. (It was a speaking 'fee' as well as their meal money for one night.)
So, are you issuing 1099s for the fee portion? You should. These guys know, or should know, that this was not a gift, but a remuneration for their services.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

HDO45331 wrote:So, are you issuing 1099s for the fee portion? You should. These guys know, or should know, that this was not a gift, but a remuneration for their services.
I am going to guess that the amount each speaker was paid was <$595 each. And bronto's records will reflect that.
HDO45331 wrote:
howard wrote:Yea! I got one right!
If you promise to not prepare taxes, I will promise to not anesthize people.
Can't make any promises. Just remember to keep the tongue out of the airway, and you'll be cool.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
HDO45331
Brandt

Re: Tax Q's Thread (My changes letter for Organizers)

Post by HDO45331 »

2013 Tax Law Changes

Ohio: Numerous changes, both good and bad. Midway through the year, the legislation was passed. They giveth, and taketh away, so to speak. Middle-income non-business owning people will probably be hurt the most.

Good:
1. Tax rates have been decreased 9% across the board for all.
2. Also, if you file Schedule C, E, or F, and/or if you have at least a 20% equity share of a Partnership or an S-Corporation, you will receive a 50% deduction for up to the first $250,000 in combined, adjusted income. This will be huge.
3. There is an Earned Income Tax Credit, (up to 5%) of the amount of Federal EITC received.

Bad:
1. There is a phase-out of Personal Exemption Credits for people with over $30,000 income.
2. Most of the 10% Property Tax Rollback has been eliminated, and the Homestead Exemption Credit has been limited. You will see this on your Real Estate Tax bills.

Miscellaneous:
1. The Ohio minimum wage is $7.95 for 2014
2. The Federal government overturned DOMA, but the State of Ohio does not recognize same-sex marriages. If a same-sex couple is married in a state that recognizes same-sex marriages, and lives in Ohio, they must file a Federal tax return as Married-filing-Joint, or Married-filing separate. However, in Ohio, they would file as single.

Federal:

The Affordable Care Act comes into play for the 2014 tax year. Details are still being worked out, and there will be changes during the year. Taxpayers must have health insurance in effect by 03-31-2014 (?), or face a penalty. A one-year extension for qualifying employers (50 or more full time employees) has been granted for insuring employees.

There is a new, optional method of figuring the Home Office deduction. Under this method, which can be alternated from year to year, a Schedule C business can deduct $5 per square foot, up to a maximum of 300 square feet.

The Earned Income Tax Credit has been a great source of fraud in the past years. The IRS is making tax preparers do their audit work, as due diligence. A four-page form, 8827, must be filed with the return. The preparer penalty is very high.

There is due diligence on the preparation of 1099-MISC forms for filers of Schedules C, E & F, and for Partnerships and S-Corps. Payments totaling $600 or more must have 1099-MISC forms prepared.

Another area of due diligence for tax preparers and taxpayers alike concerns vehicle expense for Schedule C, E & F filers. Mileage logs are important. The IRS is hitting this very hard.

Many Federal Tax provisions, such as the mortgage insurance premium deduction, and the teachers’ expenses deduction, are set to expire after the 2013 tax year, similar to last year. Congress may, or may not, extend these provisions. Some of the provisions that have been extended are the Child Tax Credit, Earned Income Tax Credit, lower Capital Gains rates, Student Loan Interest deduction, and the Amican Opportunity Credit. The Hope Credit is gone after the 2013 tax season.

For the retired people, who formerly did not have to file, the IRS now uses a Single-payer test to see if a return is needed. For example, if only one has income, and that amount is more than the Single filing threshold, a return should be filed.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Hey. Is HDO lurking out there somewhere?

My wife did some work as a consultant last year, registered as a sole proprietorship with the state (NJ). She has yet to be paid for her work or reimbursed for her expenses. She has been told she must claim the expenses (about $500) for 2013. Is that true, and should she just claim a loss?

Also, I usually manage to file with TurboTax, as we're pretty vanilla. I guess this in part may depend on the answer to the above, but should we just suck it up and find a good tax accountant this year? I don't want to end up wrestling with TT just to have to give up and go that route anyway.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

rass wrote:we're pretty vanilla. I suck it up and... want to end up wrestling with TT... have to go that route.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
Brontoburglar
The Dude

Post by Brontoburglar »

rass wrote:Hey. Is HDO lurking out there somewhere?

My wife did some work as a consultant last year, registered as a sole proprietorship with the state (NJ). She has yet to be paid for her work or reimbursed for her expenses. She has been told she must claim the expenses (about $500) for 2013. Is that true, and should she just claim a loss?

Also, I usually manage to file with TurboTax, as we're pretty vanilla. I guess this in part may depend on the answer to the above, but should we just suck it up and find a good tax accountant this year? I don't want to end up wrestling with TT just to have to give up and go that route anyway.
I bought TurboTax and ended up giving it to my dad and going with an accountant. Way too much stuff to deal with. Working from home part-time for eight months, the full-time office job for eight, full-time at home for four, and then my own business.

The cost of the accountant is worth it, even if I'm going to end up owing.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

If she has yet to be paid for her work, she should have no claimable income, unless she uses the accrual method. If it were me, and she claims the income in 2013, I would claim the expenses. If not, claim them in the year paid, so as to match income with expenses.

Remember to claim mileage, tolls, and any other fees, back & forth to these consultant engagements.

Was she working these engagements > 50 miles form home? If so, she can take a partial per diem (75%)

PM me for any other questions, if you wish.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Oh, and this from the guy that was going "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" previously?
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Brontoburglar wrote:

I bought TurboTax and ended up giving it to my dad and going with an accountant. Way too much stuff to deal with. Working from home part-time for eight months, the full-time office job for eight, full-time at home for four, and then my own business.

The cost of the accountant is worth it, even if I'm going to end up owing.
Good idea. Money well spent, in your case. "The person who prepares his own, complicated taxes, has a fool for a client."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HDO45331 wrote:

Oh, and this from the guy that was going "zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz" previously?
That was mostly an anesthesia joke!

And thanks for the response. I guess what we aren't clear on, and this is pretty basic, is what is the key determinant for when this should all be claimed: when she did the work or when she was paid. If she is not required to claim the expenses in 2013, if she can wait and claim them along with the income in 2014, we may just punt on this until this time next year.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Hi HDO. Longtime listener first time caller. Can you let me know if I have this right? My wife did some consulting work in 2012. She put the money in a bank account in the name of the business (LLC), and has not touched it. My understanding is that this does not get claimed as income until she takes the money out and pays herself, do I have that right?

Second part: If she closes the account and invests the money, does she hold off on reporting the money until she takes it out of whatever she invests it in?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

The Sybian wrote:Hi HDO. Longtime listener first time caller. Can you let me know if I have this right? My wife did some consulting work in 2012. She put the money in a bank account in the name of the business (LLC), and has not touched it. My understanding is that this does not get claimed as income until she takes the money out and pays herself, do I have that right?

Second part: If she closes the account and invests the money, does she hold off on reporting the money until she takes it out of whatever she invests it in?
I am taking for granted that this is happening in the gold old US of A.

Part 1. Whatever happens to the money, it is taxable when rceived. If she has an LLC, and is the sole owner, she would file the LLC income on a Form 1040, Schedule C, like any other sole proprietorship. Unless she set the LLC up under the check-the-box designation of a corporation, she does not pay herself; she would be taking money out of one pocket, and putting it in another. Hopefully, if she did for the LLC as a corporation, she also filed the form with the IRS, making it a Sub S Corp.

Part 2. See part 1.
HDO45331
Brandt

Post by HDO45331 »

Rass, I would ask if there will be more income like this next year. If not, I would match the income with the expenses.

If there will be more work in the future, it is your call, whether to take the loss this year, or hold off until next year.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HDO45331 wrote:Rass, I would ask if there will be more income like this next year. If not, I would match the income with the expenses.

If there will be more work in the future, it is your call, whether to take the loss this year, or hold off until next year.
Yeah, she's done with that shit. As of last week, though. She basically picked this up as a favor to her boss and it made her miserable. We did get a new iPad out of the deal.

Thanks HDO.