Black History Month

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Black History Month

Post by Tom 1860 »

We do this in our school (5 -16 year old spread - 95% white, with 75% of these families being government assisted and yes we have a a significant issue with racism) every year and this year I have asked that we celebrate all people, all year round...

It seems odd to me that we spend a month each year celebrating this and not all year looking at history correctly. Incidentally, the people facilitating BHM in our school are all middle aged, middle class and white.

Thoughts?
howard
Karl Hungus

Re: Black History Month

Post by howard »

The role of Black History in the USA must be completely different than the story in the UK. Does UK Black History Month study include South Asian peoples? Colonialism in general? UK support for the Confederate States of America?

(at least you get 31 days; we only get 28.25) (and you get Bob Marley)
Who knows? Maybe, you were kidnapped, tied up, taken away and held for ransom.

Those days are gone forever
Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

In the past we have done loads of stuff about great black people in history (all lesson/subject areas etc...) and we always do loads about slavery (which I find an odd way to celebrate - unless we are celebrating truly crazy levels of resilience).

We do not look beyond black African people and their history and (again oddly) we don't do anything about ancient Egypt...

We do loads about the civil rights movements and there will be assemblies about Dr King. We will likely do loads about black athletes.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Go outside the box. Do a maya Angelou reading. Study Fred Douglass.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

A_B wrote:Go outside the box. Do a maya Angelou reading. Study Fred Douglass.
We do a lot about Maya Angelou (the English department love her) and I will certainly research Mr Douglass
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Today a new branch of the Smithsonian Institution opened, the National Museum of African American History. I've followed the development of this museum over the last four years, and watched the ceremony, so this topic is in the front of my mind this afternoon. Maybe they will have some helpful materials for you (or maybe you'll have to wait until next year for their website to get up to speed.)

https://nmaahc.si.edu

This cracked me up.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Oh, and Frederick Douglass is the single greatest Black American in history (except of course Willie Howard Mays.)

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Oh, and Frederick Douglass is the single greatest Black American in history (except of course Willie Howard Mays.)
Frederick Douglass? I thought Black History Month was to teach us about George Washington Carver and the guy who invented the traffic light.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

The Sybian wrote:
howard wrote:Oh, and Frederick Douglass is the single greatest Black American in history (except of course Willie Howard Mays.)
Frederick Douglass? I thought Black History Month was to teach us about George Washington Carver and the guy who invented the traffic light.

This is partly my point.

All the teaching staff at school will be asked to put a picture and profile up on their classroom door of a black person relevant to their department. So what happens is that everyone attempts to tie Dr. King/Daley Thompson etc to their department or google 'Famous Black...'

So I suppose, the issue is that 99% of our staff are white and have not been brought up with anyone talking about black history (except slavery and the civil rights movement), so they are not invested and/or knowledgeable and therefore get involved because they have to as opposed to doing it because they are genuinely interested.

Fuck, I have just read what I typed and it is pretty depressing...
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

Mays was okay if you're not into modern statistical approaches to blackness. But Arthur Ashe is well ahead in BARP, with Ali close behind.
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

(mr. dick would've used NARP) (I prefer WAW- Wins Above Whitey)

Teachers get to learn too. Here's a topic; the way American blues music was rescued from extinction by young brit musicians in the sixties. One band even named themselves after the signature tune of a great blues legend.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Tom 1860
Jesus Quintana

Post by Tom 1860 »

howard wrote:(mr. dick would've used NARP) (I prefer WAW- Wins Above Whitey)

Teachers get to learn too. Here's a topic; the way American blues music was rescued from extinction by young brit musicians in the sixties. One band even named themselves after the signature tune of a great blues legend.
I love the Stones, so that would work...
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Here's a related tidbit. I heard Brian Eno give a talk once, he said he was exposed as a kid to American pop music from jukeboxes in places frequented by American servicemen, many of them black, stationed in the UK. I'm sure this was a common source for kids born in the post-war years, hearing Chuck Berry, Gene Chandler and the like, as well as the blues players.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

I guess it's not my place, but I would have put Douglass on the $20 rather than Tubman.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

Sure it's your place, you an 'Merican.

Another from the AA History Museum opening

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

howard wrote:Sure it's your place, you an 'Merican.

Another from the AA History Museum opening

What a great picture of our wonderful First Lady, showing genuine compassion for special needs individuals.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Say what you will about that dude. At least he hasn't endorsed Trump.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DC47
Walter Sobchak

Post by DC47 »

howard wrote:Teachers get to learn too. Here's a topic; the way American blues music was rescued from extinction by young brit musicians in the sixties. One band even named themselves after the signature tune of a great blues legend.
Juke?

howard
Karl Hungus

Post by howard »

sancarlos wrote:Say what you will about that dude. At least he hasn't endorsed Trump.
Yeah, but he's gonna try to one-up his daddy. Again.

Over a long time ago
Oh yeah…
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

howard wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Say what you will about that dude. At least he hasn't endorsed Trump.
It's funny that so many beltway types are trying to use that photo as an icon of "bipartisanship" and "civility," when the actual video shows that it was a fairly half-hearted "hug." Certainly you wouldn't watch the video and think, "look at the great relationship the Bushes and Obamas have!"
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Joe K wrote:
howard wrote:
sancarlos wrote:Say what you will about that dude. At least he hasn't endorsed Drumpf.
It's funny that so many beltway types are trying to use that photo as an icon of "bipartisanship" and "civility," when the actual video shows that it was a fairly half-hearted "hug." Certainly you wouldn't watch the video and think, "look at the great relationship the Bushes and Obamas have!"
It's all relative and people are desperate.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2016 9:42 am
I guess it's not my place, but I would have put Douglass on the $20 rather than Tubman.
It just never ends with these guys...

Harriet Tubman $20 Bill Is Delayed Until Trump Leaves Office, Mnuchin Says
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I saw that and thought...they had a chance to just let ONE thing happen that might be seen as tolerant and progressive. Didn't even have to do anything and would have gotten some credit during the unveiling ceremony. And they decided to do the exact opposite of what they should have done just as a "not on my watch!" to Obama.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

A_B wrote: Thu May 23, 2019 6:43 am I saw that and thought...they had a chance to just let ONE thing happen that might be seen as tolerant and progressive. Didn't even have to do anything and would have gotten some credit during the unveiling ceremony. And they decided to do the exact opposite of what they should have done just as a "not on my watch!" to Obama.
It boils down to to play to the base at all times to keep the re-election hopes alive.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Hey, you guys are as surprised as I am, but if you do a search for "Harriet Tubman" on Fox News's website there is no mention of this.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.