Westworld

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: Westworld

Post by Nonlinear FC »

And, obviously I'm still watching.

Let me put it this way, this show has me excited to tune in, and I'm not picking up my phone to check things distractedly while it's on. There are maybe 4 or 5 other shows where this is the case, and those are shows like Modern Family or other sight gag comedies where looking at your ph completely takes you out of the experience.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Steve of phpBB wrote:I'm not sure if these theories count as spoilers, since they are just speculation and don't give away what actually happens in a recent episode, but my response to that speculation ...
[+] spoiler
The dual timeline things makes sense to me, except for one thing. In the William timeline, Dolores seems to be finding herself, learning that there is a bigger world out there, and deciding to break out of her programmed life. I'm not sure if it makes a lot of sense for that to be happening in the past given how straightforward Dolores's character was in the early episodes. Plus, does it really make sense for William to come back to the park twenty years later and repeatedly brutally rape Dolores?
aw fuck it
[+] spoiler
Do we really know he raped (and "killed") her? We saw him drag her in the barn, and close the door, and then she woke up. We've seen her wake up multiple times (maybe even at least once in each time line?). And we've seen her live out the massacre at her house multiple times, at least once flashing back while experiencing it. I guess just saying we don't know what happened in the barn, and "Billy" being so cruel to her does seem a little odd, and something they'll need to make sure makes sense if they do what we think they're going to do.

Also, exactly when/why did he realize he needs Teddy? Because he "killed" him that night. I guess that was after Ford changed Teddy's backstory? Did Ford purposely make Teddy valuable to the MiB? Why?
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Theory Chris Ryan floated on The Watch that he read:
[+] spoiler
Dolores is Wyatt.
My theory that I float now based on absolutely nothing:
[+] spoiler
Dolores is Arnold.
#StayWoke
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Johnnie wrote:Theory Chris Ryan floated on The Watch that he read:
[+] spoiler
Dolores is Wyatt.
My theory that I float now based on absolutely nothing:
[+] spoiler
Dolores is Arnold.
#StayWoke
Yeah, the way they talk about Wyatt while telling/showing us so little about him makes me think a big twist reveal is coming.

Following on to the other theory discussed earlier:
[+] spoiler
Did anyone else take Ed Harris recognizing William's orientation host in her new role as more or less confirmation that he = William?
Now that the show has been picked up for a second season, I really hope that they keep each season relatively self-contained and close a decent number of open questions by the end of episode 10 instead of just blue-balling us for cheap drama.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Following on to the other theory discussed earlier:
[+] spoiler
Did anyone else take Ed Harris recognizing William's orientation host in her new role as more or less confirmation that he = William?
Carrying on ...
[+] spoiler
I had a question about that. Was that girl also in Dolores's flashback/whatever scene? Or am I getting them mixed up?

Wasn't the main guy in Pariah the same host who the Man in Black killed to give Teddy the transfusion? Unless there are duplicate hosts, doesn't that have to require a separate timeline?
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Steve of phpBB wrote:
Johnny Carwash wrote:Following on to the other theory discussed earlier:
[+] spoiler
Carrying on ...
[+] spoiler
I had a question about that. Was that girl also in Dolores's flashback/whatever scene? Or am I getting them mixed up?

Wasn't the main guy in Pariah the same host who the Man in Black killed to give Teddy the transfusion? Unless there are duplicate hosts, doesn't that have to require a separate timeline?
[+] spoiler
El Lazo = Lawrence
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Huh, that was cute. And my complete throw shit at the wall theory could've been yelled just a bit. I knew Dolores had some thing about her, but I couldn't place what.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

So what is Ford's plan for Bernard?

Leave him there? We just saw Charlotte and Lee down in dormant host storage, so someone would find him eventually.

Wipe his memory again and carry on as usual? Wouldn't it have been easier to do so without blowing a hole in his head?

Dispose of him in some way and pretend he died? Sort of suspicious coming on the heels of Theresa (and possibly Elsie), but maybe Ford is making his big move (just in time for the finale) and it won't matter.

Who is going to finally prove Ford isn't in complete control here? Maeve? Dolores? Probably Dolores.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Do any Admins wander in here? It might be nice to have a spoiler tag in the thread title, so we can discuss things more freely.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Poor confused, constrained Teddy.

I really enjoyed the show. Both last night's finale and the whole season.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I gotta say... My wife and I are having a VERY tough time keeping this show in the rotation for a S3. It's just so fucking convoluted at times. I don't mind GoT plot twists and I love dark shows (Fargo), but this shit is just off the charts.

I'm reading the recap/explainer for the finale and I'm like.. Ok?

Honestly, are we just dumb? We do tend to watch the show after dinner when we've had a couple glasses of wine. And if a show fucks with that ritual, it's on the trash heap.

And I have to say, we're not totally clueless about what's going on... I read the recaps and then talk with her to explain stuff we had questions about. But there are MULTIPLE times per episode when we're just bored. It's probably why we get lost, because the exposition monologues can be BRUTAL.
Last edited by Nonlinear FC on Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

It's needlessly confusing. I've stopped trying to follow the various timelines. Mostly just watch it because parts of it are cool, and read re-caps to point me to shit I didn't bother trying to figure out in real time. The showrunners have become Shamalyan - if everything is a twist, what's the point...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I think the problem is that so many of the characters "come back from the dead" it's hard to have any grasp of the stakes. Even most of the human characters who have died end up coming back as replicants or hosts or whatever the hell.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I just read 3 recaps and each one said a version of "when I went back and watched it again..."

I mean, seriously, fuck that noise.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Shit, forgot we had a thread and commented in the TV thread at some point.

I really liked season 2, and thought it was much less twist dependent. My wife dislikes it so much she refuses to even fall asleep on the couch while I'm watching.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I really, really want to like it and I'll keep watching for S3 but I'm with NLFC for the most part. I shouldn't have to feel like I have to watch each episode twice just to keep straight all dozen plot threads.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!