Opioids

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Gunpowder
The Dude

Re: Opioids

Post by Gunpowder »

Rex wrote:Killing your customer base seems like a bad business plan, but then again, if I had better business instincts I wouldn't have gone to law school.

I think they note it in that article, but there is an almost endless supply of customers, and when one of them dies due to the product, the rest flock there to get that product for themselves.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Rex wrote:
It is typically used to tranquilize elephants stronger than most other drugs.
I'm not sure exactly what that sentence is trying to convey, but it can't be good.
Yeah, TV stations aren't known for their editing prowess. Kinda surprised this is the first I'm hear of drug addicts taking elephant tranquilizers -- seems like it would have been a no-brainer for some up-and-coming drug abusers before.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

brian wrote:
Rex wrote:
It is typically used to tranquilize elephants stronger than most other drugs.
I'm not sure exactly what that sentence is trying to convey, but it can't be good.
Yeah, TV stations aren't known for their editing prowess. Kinda surprised this is the first I'm hear of drug addicts taking elephant tranquilizers -- seems like it would have been a no-brainer for some up-and-coming drug abusers before.

One day people are going to be blowing fertilizer through straws into each other's dickholes and wonder why none of the n00bs were doing this 20 years ago.
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Holy shit.
In six years, drug wholesalers showered the state with 780 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills, while 1,728 West Virginians fatally overdosed on those two painkillers, a Sunday Gazette-Mail investigation found.

The unfettered shipments amount to 433 pain pills for every man, woman and child in West Virginia.
The figures in that article are just amazing.

If only we still had a Swamper with some expertise in West Virginia pharmacies...
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Dayton Morgue Over Capacity

Are these pills all coming from USA-based manufacturers, or are they coming in from other countries?

Horrifying.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This seems...not smart.

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

rass wrote:Holy shit.
In six years, drug wholesalers showered the state with 780 million hydrocodone and oxycodone pills, while 1,728 West Virginians fatally overdosed on those two painkillers, a Sunday Gazette-Mail investigation found.

The unfettered shipments amount to 433 pain pills for every man, woman and child in West Virginia.
The figures in that article are just amazing.

If only we still had a Swamper with some expertise in West Virginia pharmacies...
Who was that?
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

eerrx
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

brian wrote:This seems...not smart.

I think the likely plan is to just shift responsibility to that commission that Chris Christie is chairing. Because he clearly has the experience and expertise necessary to solve this problem.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

The cynic in me says the republicans are pro-opioid and anti-weed because big pharma can't funnel any money to them from the weed market.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The realist in you
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

The Portland (ME) Press Herald has a 10 part series about opiod abuse/addication/deaths:

Lost: Heroin's Killer Grip on Maine's People
They are dying in the potato fields of Aroostook County and the lobster-fishing harbors Down East.
They are dying in the western Maine foothills where paper mill closures have sown economic anxiety. They are dying in cities like Portland and Augusta and in the affluent suburbs, where heroin is plentiful.
The death toll reached 376 last year, driven almost entirely by opioids – prescription painkillers, heroin and now fentanyl. More than one victim per day. More than car accidents. More than suicide. More than breast cancer.
And it’s getting worse.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You know the GOP has gone off the rails when affluent white people are being left to die.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

But they are attacking pot again, so that should shortly solve the Opiod crisis.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Seven Days of Heroin

It’s a little after sunrise on the first day of another week, and Cincinnati is waking up again with a heroin problem. So is Covington. And Middletown. And Norwood. And Hamilton. And West Chester Township. And countless other cities and towns across Ohio and Kentucky.

This particular week, July 10 through 16, will turn out to be unexceptional by the dreary standards of what has become the region’s greatest health crisis.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

rass wrote:Seven Days of Heroin

It’s a little after sunrise on the first day of another week, and Cincinnati is waking up again with a heroin problem. So is Covington. And Middletown. And Norwood. And Hamilton. And West Chester Township. And countless other cities and towns across Ohio and Kentucky.

This particular week, July 10 through 16, will turn out to be unexceptional by the dreary standards of what has become the region’s greatest health crisis.

What an utterly depressing thing to read.

My brother-in-law is a paramedic for a Cincinnati suburb, and we talked briefly about heroin when I last saw him. He said there have been multiple instances where they administered Narcan and the person who OD'd got up and complained strenuously about being revived because it killed their buzz. In one instance, a revived patient tried to punch one of the other paramedics because they rescued him. He said he's fed up with trying to help these people because they simply don't care about themselves or anyone else. All they want is the high. Kind of shocking to hear a paramedic say that, but I guess I'd feel the same way if I had to deal with this on a seemingly daily basis.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Red Wings announcer Ken Daniels shares his heartbreaking loss to save others from predatory rehabs

(article from The Athletic but I think it's un-paywalled)

Fucking Florida
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Jesus Christ. Stories like this make me hope there's a hell because even if I'm going there these fuckers are too.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

five deaths in the houston poker community this year. my friend and fellow poker dealer dale died last week from it. kinda making me reevaluate how i live
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Last edited by HaulCitgo on Tue Nov 14, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you’re fucking around with anything that might possibly have fentanyl in it then absolutely.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I read the article, but didn't really understand how the scam really worked. I get that that excessively overcharged for tests and whatnot, but it implied that they somehow encouraged relapse. I missed how they actually did that. It seems that's a pretty critical part to the story of how they are killing people.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

I took it that they weren't providing he environment promised for recovery.
Last edited by A_B on Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Shirley wrote:I read the article, but didn't really understand how the scam really worked. I get that that excessively overcharged for tests and whatnot, but it implied that they somehow encouraged relapse. I missed how they actually did that. It seems that's a pretty critical part to the story of how they are killing people.

If I understand the article correctly... I think that by providing really crappy rehabilitation, the patient is unlikely to remain sober. Then, they have to kick them out after they've bled the insurance for all they can. Then, they are more likely to relapse given the poor service, which means they can re-admit them, and they can restart the scam again. But, poor service also runs the risk of the discharged, unrehabilitated patient dying after a relapse.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Yeah they weren’t putting heroin in the Cheerios but they didn’t give a shit if the patient relapsed.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

brian wrote:If you’re fucking around with anything that might possibly have fentanyl in it then absolutely.

i only really deal with hydrocodone so the only way i run into fentanyl is is someone presses fake hydrocodones, and so far thats easy to spot
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

TT2.0 wrote:
brian wrote:If you’re fucking around with anything that might possibly have fentanyl in it then absolutely.

i only really deal with hydrocodone so the only way i run into fentanyl is is someone presses fake hydrocodones, and so far thats easy to spot

I know it's been a long road with that for you, but I sincerely hope you get to a point where you can get yourself off that shit. There is no light inside that tunnel. Don't want to to come off like I know the struggle or your life, just noting you've got a lot of people in here and I'm sure other places to give you support when you're ready.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Another heart-breaking story of opiod addiction, and an overdose death:

No Family Is Safe From This Epidemic

The last photograph of my son Jonathan was taken at the end of a new-student barbecue on the campus green at the University of Denver. It was one of those bittersweet transitional moments. We were feeling the combination of apprehension and optimism that every parent feels when dropping off a kid at college for the first time, which amplified by the fact that we were coming off a rocky 16 months with our son.

We had moved him into his dormitory room only that morning. I remember how sharp he looked in the outfit he had selected, and his eagerness to start class and make new friends. We were happy, relieved, and, knowing what we thought he had overcome, proud. At lunch, I asked Jonathan whether he thought he was ready for the coming school year. “Dad, I can handle it as long as I continue my recovery,” he said. “Everything flows from that.”

Only three days later, Jonathan was found unresponsive in his dormitory-room bed, one of several victims of a fentanyl-laden batch of heroin that had spread through the Denver area that week.

But its all going to be solved....because Kellyanne Conway is on the job!
Trump's Counselor Kellyanne Conway Is Now Leading His Opioids Strategy

Yep...despite having zero experience in public health policy, or anything else besides being a lying sack of shit. Should turn out great!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

New drug law makes it ‘harder for us to do our jobs,’ former DEA officials say

Helen Kaupang, who was a DEA investigator and supervisor for 29 years before she retired in September, said the law has made it more difficult to bring cases against companies suspected of violating the nation’s drugs laws. She called the provision that permits companies to submit corrective plans a “get out of jail free card” because those plans delay the DEA from taking action against companies and allow them to continue to dispense drugs.

There is a special place in hell for Orrin Hatch.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

But people would be out of a job if they weren't allowed to work for a company that poisons and kills other people with indemnity. A true conundrum.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:But people would be out of a job if they weren't allowed to work for a company that poisons and kills other people with indemnity. A true conundrum.

Got to protect the "job creators."

Hard to quantify levels of hypocrisy - but the "War On Drugs" by any measure has to be near the top.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Fuck, man. Then just imagine there's literally hundreds of thousands of those stories which aren't as newsworthy by involving a cop arresting his own daughter.
spongelikeninja
Jackie Treehorn

Post by spongelikeninja »

My younger brother died of a heroin OD earlier this year. He had been in and out of rehab a few times for other things over a period of close to 20 years. Mainly alcohol and coke, specifically crack, but not opiods as far as I knew. Also never jailed for any kind of drug violations as far as I know. I don't know how people that get on that train can ever recover, but huge respect for those are able to come out the other side. That shit is a monster.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm sorry man.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

spongelikeninja wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm My younger brother died of a heroin OD earlier this year. He had been in and out of rehab a few times for other things over a period of close to 20 years. Mainly alcohol and coke, specifically crack, but not opiods as far as I knew. Also never jailed for any kind of drug violations as far as I know. I don't know how people that get on that train can ever recover, but huge respect for those are able to come out the other side. That shit is a monster.
Fuck, pal. Sorry to hear that. There's so many things we could be doing better as a society and realistically facing the drug problem in this country is just one of them, but it's a big one because it could resolve a lot of other issues at the same time.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Sorry, man. I know a few situations like that and it just seems completely impossible for the family to do anything.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
spongelikeninja
Jackie Treehorn

Post by spongelikeninja »

Thanks, it was (and is) fucked up to the nth degree, for sure
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Sorry for you, SLN.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.