Opioids

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

sancarlos
The Dude

Re: Opioids

Post by sancarlos »

spongelikeninja wrote: Tue Nov 13, 2018 1:52 pm My younger brother died of a heroin OD earlier this year. He had been in and out of rehab a few times for other things over a period of close to 20 years. Mainly alcohol and coke, specifically crack, but not opiods as far as I knew. Also never jailed for any kind of drug violations as far as I know. I don't know how people that get on that train can ever recover, but huge respect for those are able to come out the other side. That shit is a monster.
Really sorry, SLN. My younger brother died several years ago under very similar circumstances. Sucks.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My heart goes out to you guys.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Wow, that's awful for both of you and your families. I agree with the posts above about the need to do something different in this country. It seems like everyone now knows that The War on Drugs has been a absolute failure, but we haven't actually tried to do anything about it.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm You should read "Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic" by Sam Quinones. Tells the long sorted tale about the explosion of prescription opiods, bogus pain clinics/pill mills, and the perfectly timed influx of cheap Mexican Brown heroin.

I can't recommend that book highly enough if you are interested in this topic.
I’m four hours in and already have learned so much I didn’t know about this whole thing. Only 11 more hours to go!
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Guy OD'd while driving and plowed into a gas station, killing three.

The driver lived and was revived with Narcan at the scene.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

rass wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am Guy OD'd while driving and plowed into a gas station, killing three.

Build the wall. It's imperative for public safety.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:30 am
rass wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:51 am Guy OD'd while driving and plowed into a gas station, killing three.

Wellllllllll....this is one of the main arguments for the wall right?
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:59 pm

Yea I'd bet that heroin was backpacked up here from just across the Rio Grande up to NJ. My guess is he probably started straight up on blacktar instead of the normal way like a legal prescription.

Spare me that "argument". Please.

brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If NJ let you pump your own gas would have been one less dead person. Pumping your own gas saves lives!
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

BSF21 wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:31 pm

Yea I'd bet that heroin was backpacked up here from just across the Rio Grande up to NJ. My guess is he probably started straight up on blacktar instead of the normal way like a legal prescription.

Well the book I referenced above seems to be saying that’s exactly what happens. So maybe I have recency bias.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Also the article mentions hypodermic needles which usually don’t come with your oxy
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

He's saying people go from prescription to heroin because its cheaper and thus the addiction was "home grown".
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

A_B wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:45 pm

Also the article mentions hypodermic needles which usually don’t come with your oxy
I'm aware. I'm not saying he wasn't shooting. I'm saying it's not exactly the jumpoff point for most opiate abusers. They get hooked on a legal prescription. Also the last fact check I saw said around 90% of the heroin that comes from Mexico comes through ports of legal entry, not coyotes through the desert. Those are my points. Maybe we could regulate pharma and the distribution of opioids and provide some assistance to those using, but apparently some people think building a big wall will fix it.

A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That’s true 100 percent. But I’m just saying the argument you made is absolutely used for wall justification no matter how a junkie got started.

And so we’re clear a wall is stupid and fixing the root of the problem is the correct tack.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Sometimes I wish it were possible to do things like build a wall on the border overnight then watch as MAGA turds are amazed when trafficking of people and/or drugs into the US is unchanged, but that would assume that they're intellectually capable of understanding and interpreting data like that in the first place.

We're all on the same page here. Treating and preventing the addiction is proven time and time again to be the cheapest solution, but that doesn't make for a pithy slogan at glorified White Power rallies.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm Sometimes I wish it were possible to do things like build a wall on the border overnight then watch as MAGA turds are amazed when trafficking of people and/or drugs into the US is unchanged, but that would assume that they're intellectually capable of understanding and interpreting data like that in the first place.
But that wouldn't matter.

As long as they win by getting a wall built, than the consequences don't matter because hey, they beat the other side and got it built. These are people who repeatedly and almost joyfully cut off their noses to spite their faces.

(MAGA types I mean - not people who are addicted)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

brian wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 2:57 pm Sometimes I wish it were possible to do things like build a wall on the border overnight then watch as MAGA turds are amazed when trafficking of people and/or drugs into the US is unchanged, but that would assume that they're intellectually capable of understanding and interpreting data like that in the first place.

We're all on the same page here. Treating and preventing the addiction is proven time and time again to be the cheapest solution, but that doesn't make for a pithy slogan at glorified White Power rallies.
Either Trump would declare victory saying drug abuse is ended, or RW media would never address the subject again, and the base would complete forget the problem existed (see Ebola and Jade Helm).
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

A_B wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:34 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:07 pm You should read "Dreamland: The True Tale of America's Opiate Epidemic" by Sam Quinones. Tells the long sorted tale about the explosion of prescription opiods, bogus pain clinics/pill mills, and the perfectly timed influx of cheap Mexican Brown heroin.

I can't recommend that book highly enough if you are interested in this topic.
I’m four hours in and already have learned so much I didn’t know about this whole thing. Only 11 more hours to go!
So I am about 80 percent done. And while I still like the content, for goodness sake this book is repetitive as hell. Does anyone know if it was originally written as different stories and then aggregated? It repeats so many basic things, sometimes in the next chapter.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

306 Pills Per Person Per Year

Washington Post reports on a town in Virginia where the Walmart alone sold 3.5 million pills in a 6 year span. There are 4,000 people in this town. CVS lagged behind with 1.3 million.
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Jul 19, 2019 1:09 pm 306 Pills Per Person Per Year

Washington Post reports on a town in Virginia where the Walmart alone sold 3.5 million pills in a 6 year span. There are 4,000 people in this town. CVS lagged behind with 1.3 million.
at my high point i was responsible for about 1200 a month. Those numbers seem. right to me
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!