Yo, Jews!

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

brian
The Dude

Yo, Jews!

Post by brian »

Have a question for you. Invited to a Halloween party at a friend's house by a couple who is observant, but not orthodox (for example, the party is on Friday night after sundown).

They mentioned bringing a dish to pass in the invite, but were pretty adamant about making sure that it is kosher. I don't have an issue with it probably because I would have anyway because I tend/try to think about those things, but there will probably be roughly 80-ish percent non-Jewish people there.

So I guess my question is -- is there a stigma or issue (for lack of a better word) with having non-kosher food in your house even if you yourself are not consuming it? Most of my closer Jewish friends are non-observant with respect to dietary laws so it's never come up before.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
brian
The Dude

Re: Yo, Jews!

Post by brian »

Also, sorry in advance if I dropped a hard J there.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Most people who keep Kosher don't let non-Kosher foods into their house, as it contaminates all other food. Strict Kosher observers will have separate plates and separate dishwashers for meat and dairy dishes. I recommend avoiding non-Kosher foods as best you can.

Speaking Kosher laws, I've been wondering why the Right has such a stick up their ass about Sharia Law, but I've never heard a complaint about Jews (who run the legal system), abiding by Talmudic and Kosher laws. How can we allow judges to abide by laws outside of US laws that aren't Christian values?
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

The Sybian wrote:Most people who keep Kosher don't let non-Kosher foods into their house, as it contaminates all other food. Strict Kosher observers will have separate plates and separate dishwashers for meat and dairy dishes. I recommend avoiding non-Kosher foods as best you can.
Yeah, that's what I wanted to know/didn't quite understand. I thought about contamination, but didn't really grasp that things like dishwashers etc could be affected.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Also, there are degrees to "kosherness."

If they are observant but not hard core, you could probably get by with something marked with a "K" or an "MK" (which you'll see on most candy.

Ask if it has to be "COR" or "Glatt" - these are harder to find. But if they are having a Halowe'en party, I can pretty much guarantee that they are not THIS strict.

But, you should be okay with bags of candy.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

hebrew national hot dogs or GTFO

(to those who saw that, not sure how I fucked that up)
Last edited by A_B on Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

I was just over in my neighbour's sukkah - these ortho guys get bombed at lunch and dinner during this week long holiday. A shot of Aardbeg and some herring. Feeling great, but smelling really bad!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Hi Jews!

I am going to a Jewish funeral on Sunday and it's my understanding that they will offer me a yarmulke as I arrive. It it like disrespectful or something to eschew the yarmulke? I would actually think wearing the yarmulke would be more disrespectful as I don't consider it sacred. I guess I'm equating it to not getting communion at a Catholic funeral. I would however wear it even though I think it's silly if it's some sort of strict custom.
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

"No thanks, I'm absolutely infected with head lice."
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

Jerloma wrote:Hi Jews!

I am going to a Jewish funeral on Sunday and it's my understanding that they will offer me a yarmulke as I arrive. It it like disrespectful or something to eschew the yarmulke? I would actually think wearing the yarmulke would be more disrespectful as I don't consider it sacred. I guess I'm equating it to not getting communion at a Catholic funeral. I would however wear it even though I think it's silly if it's some sort of strict custom.
Put it on. The yarmulke is not sacred itself, it is being respectful of the covering your head. The tradition to wear a kippah is not derived from any biblical passage. Rather, it is a custom which evolved as a sign of recognition that there is Someone “above” us who watches our every act

http://peopleof.oureverydaylife.com/jew ... -3987.html
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

It's not like taking communion which is - as I understand it - like making some sort of commitment to the church.

The idea is that you are covering your head because you are in a house of God. So on one level, it's out of respect to God.

But really, it's more out of respect for the occasion - I am not very observant, but when I visit certain places, I will cover my head. Not knowing the level of commitment of the family of the bereaved, all I can suggest is that you scope out the situation. Most likely, there will be a number of people not wearing a yarmulke. But if every man is doing so, you can look at it as being worn out of respect for the bereaved and not out of a notion that God is watching you. (And he probably won't be, as he's busy hanging out with Netanyahu anyway).

Usually, there's a box full of cheap yarmulkes at the entrance way to the funeral home or the synagogue. Since you don;t know your way around these things, you can always ignore the box. Seriously, you'll probably notice half of the non-Jews wearing yarmulkes while the other half don't. The mere fact that you are there to pay your respects will be sufficient.

Don't worry, no one will single you out for not wearing one. And if they do,well, a) They are an asshole and b) hey, presto, just slap one on.
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

I someone calls you out for not wearing one, just apologize and say you did not know that non-Jews were supposed to wear them also. And then put one on if you want.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

Okay. I'll wear one. Just out of curiosity though...why do they not want God to see the top of their head?
And the unicorns shall come down with them, and the bullocks with the bulls; and their land shall be soaked with blood, and their dust made fat with fatness. - God
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Jerloma wrote:Okay. I'll wear one. Just out of curiosity though...why do they not want God to see the top of their head?
And a follow-up - pretty dick move by God to then go ahead and make you all really short, huh?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Ryan wrote:
Jerloma wrote:Okay. I'll wear one. Just out of curiosity though...why do they not want God to see the top of their head?
And a follow-up - pretty dick move by God to then go ahead and make you all really short, huh?
Circumcision joke! Cut that out!
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

How do dudes who shave their heads keep it on? Spirit gum? I can't even keep a toque on in a heavy wind after a fresh shave.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Not really sure. Think it's due to the fact that God is always above us. I'll ask the Rabbi across the road.

And bald heads are actually fine for keeping the things on. They adhere to skin better than they do to hair (unless of course there's a clip involved).

It's a bit strange - you may not see this at a funeral - but there are yarmulkes with all sorts of logos on them.

I've seen many, many teams.

govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

You don't want to wear the ribbon?
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Once, a balding jewish guy was at a level where he could make rules and ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

mister d wrote:
Once, a balding jewish guy was at a level where he could make rules and ...
I have seen yarmulkes perfectly positioned to cover bald spots.

I do wonder if a toupee counts as a head-covering for observant Jews.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

wlu_lax6 wrote: Put it on. The yarmulke is not sacred itself, it is being respectful of the covering your head. The tradition to wear a kippah is not derived from any biblical passage. Rather, it is a custom which evolved as a sign of recognition that there is Someone “above” us who watches our every act

Think of it as a tinfoil hat preventing God from knowing the filthy thoughts running through your head while staring at some chesty Jew-broad.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sorry for your loss.
-Pruitt
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

If you're not a Jew you don't need to wear one. You can always take it and just pocket it if its offered to you.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Jerloma
The Dude

Post by Jerloma »

bfj wrote:If you're not a Jew you don't need to wear one. You can always take it and just pocket it if its offered to you.
I've already committed. I'm wearing it. Although I do think it's going to be way more challenging on my thick head of hair than PDX's bald ass skull.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

It was a fun new cultural experience for me when I wore a yarmulke for the first time at my buddy's kid's bar mitzvah. Partly because it had the San Francisco Giants logo on it, so it looked like a little baseball cap that was without its bill.

Then, I modeled it for my uber-catholic mother when she visited a month later. She was not amused.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Jerloma wrote:
bfj wrote:If you're not a Jew you don't need to wear one. You can always take it and just pocket it if its offered to you.
I've already committed. I'm wearing it. Although I do think it's going to be way more challenging on my thick head of hair than PDX's bald ass skull.
If it's at a funeral home it won't be a small yarmulke. It will be a larger one that will stay on. At least until the lightening hits you.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Jerloma wrote:
Challenge accepted.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Pruitt wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 7:45 am Our own Elizabeth Warren!
Who would be the Jewish equivalent of Pocahontas? Bathsheba?
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Sacajewea

Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Babs
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Ryan wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:50 amSacajewea
Zaier shain gezogt!

I was going for "Yentahontos"
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Well done.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

That is funny, because everyone was expecting a Jewish name, but that's a Native American name with "Jew" in the middle of it.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

This guy gets it

bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Stands With a Coupon
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

bfj wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 1:17 pm Stands With a Coupon
Speaks With A Lawyer
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Geronimoishe

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Dances With Chairs