Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Alan Ruck, who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, is 60 years old.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Alan Ruck, who played Cameron in Ferris Bueller's Day Off, is 60 years old.
Which means he was 30 years-old, playing a high school kid in that movie.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I read today that Mario Williams was released again. So, his career and that of Reggie Bush are now choking on fumes. Vince Young is grasping at a CFL longshot possibility, and Matt Leinart is retired to a life as a college football commentator.

Remember when the Swamp raged with debates about how well they would do as they entered the NFL as fresh-faced rookies?
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I remember a national news story was made out Reggie Bush not being able to keep his #5 from college because it didn't fit in the NFL numbering rules. There was serious talk that the NFL should change it for a player of his caliber. I think Peter King led that fight.

Also, as of today, I've been in Albuquerque a year. I remember my countdown clock when I got to Germany about wanting to leave there and everyone acting line it was a long time. Now I'm 4.5 years to retirement and I can't wait for that to happen.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Watched the 30 for 30 Phi Slama Jama and kept thinking that the ballplayers looked old.

(I am the same age as them)
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Johnnie wrote:I remember a national news story was made out Reggie Bush not being able to keep his #5 from college because it didn't fit in the NFL numbering rules. There was serious talk that the NFL should change it for a player of his caliber. I think Peter King led that fight.

Also, as of today, I've been in Albuquerque a year. I remember my countdown clock when I got to Germany about wanting to leave there and everyone acting line it was a long time. Now I'm 4.5 years to retirement and I can't wait for that to happen.
Honest question, is it hard knowing you can do nothing about that time frame? You speak about it with such disdain and the only comparison I have in my life is when I owe a debt, but I can make an adjustment and perhaps have an effect on how long it's an influence on my life. Does the pension/benefits keep you pressing on? I don't envy your situation. Hope you're still finding some moments to enjoy.
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I bought my first child a razor the other day.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

BSF21 wrote:
Johnnie wrote:I remember a national news story was made out Reggie Bush not being able to keep his #5 from college because it didn't fit in the NFL numbering rules. There was serious talk that the NFL should change it for a player of his caliber. I think Peter King led that fight.

Honest question, is it hard knowing you can do nothing about that time frame? You speak about it with such disdain and the only comparison I have in my life is when I owe a debt, but I can make an adjustment and perhaps have an effect on how long it's an influence on my life. Does the pension/benefits keep you pressing on? I don't envy your situation. Hope you're still finding some moments to enjoy.
It's not difficult. I just take it day by day. I'm certainly working towards the retirement. And where I'm at now is leagues better than where I was when I got to Germany. I actually like who I work with.

It's tough to contextualize what I mean exactly. It's not my daily job, just the way the Air Force culture is trending that I'm sick of.

Here's an example: on Wednesday, out of nowhere and without warning, my command chief (highest ranking enlisted on base) called an emergency briefing to all non Airmen (just e-5 and above) about incidents that have happened since the first of the year: 3 DUIs, an assault and battery, a domestic violence, and an enlisted threatening the life of an officer. During two separate briefings (at 1100 and 1500), the entire room was dressed down and told we were failing. That we're setting a bad example. And that we have to fix it. He said that the way he would fix it "wouldn't be liked by anyone and it would be worse than what the wing commander would want."

Now here I am, amongst a room full of people I don't know, being told I'm responsible (to an extent) for what's going on in the heads of other people I don't know and now I have to help fix 'it' because we've "lost credibility." And it's part of our Air Force standards in guidelines and instructions. Like what the fuck am I supposed to do? The civilian judicial system and military judicial system exist. You have to be an adult when you enlist. And...what else? It's bullshit. I'm responsible for me and my guy that I work with. (And even then, he's 26 with a kid.)

Another example: Just a couple months ago an enlisted guy in Louisiana, stationed at the same base I used to be stationed at once upon a time, was caught in a sting that the local cops put on Craigslist. It was an ad fishing for johns. The ad had a mother and her underage daughter looking to give sex for cheap. You just had to "bring Mountain Dew" for the daughter. (Shit you not. Part of the ad.) That led to all bases across the command, 8 in total, having mandatory training by the end of the week. "Remember, adults, don't buy any fucking. Swipe right on Tinder for free for that shit!"

Like, what's going on here? Every day I'm told to do more with less and then I'm told I'm partially responsible for knowing the thoughts of those around me. It's pretty awful. And then I look at my government currently and I want to beat my head off the wall. This administration is a fucking shit covered dumpster fire, but yet I can't comment. I just have to agree with the nonsense until I hit the retire button.

So, sorry for the rant. Being in logistics is cool. But when my time is up, I'm chunking the deuce and laughing on my way out.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

My baby daughter just got accepted to university.

Proud? Hell ya!

Old? Hell ya!!
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

Pruitt wrote:My baby daughter just got accepted to university.

Proud? Hell ya!

Old? Hell ya!!
Congrats!

I was feeling old because I bought an ACT prep book for my kid today.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

Proud? Hell ya!

Old? Hell ya!!
Congrats!

Man...

Today was the first time that I noticed the the mothers pushing strollers in my neighbourhood all looked really young.

And not one that I saw was younger than her late 20s.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Steve of phpBB wrote:

Proud? Hell ya!

Old? Hell ya!!
Congrats!

Just registered my daughter for the April ACT. She took the SAT in January.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Congrats Pruitt.

I love having you older guys around...
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

And I started using reading glasses last week.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote:And I started using reading glasses last week.
Way ahead of you, old man.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Random shit that makes other people feel old...

I got stopped by a guy in my neighborhood tonight. A guy who I wave at whenever I see him, and have talked to briefly a couple of times, but I didn't know (or remember?) his name before he (re?)introduced himself as the dog and I walked by him driveway (another Dave). He remarked on how grey Gus' muzzle was, and how he's seen us walk by for years. That segued into getting old, and he mentioned how old his father and grandfather had been when they passed, and then out of his mouth tumbled the story of how his 94 year old mother, who loves across town and suffers from osteoporosis and heart problems, was just this week diagnosed with end stage pancreatic cancer. She had gotten a scan for some other bone related issue, and they found it. It wasn't there last time she was scanned, so very quick growth. Not much they can do given that, and her age and other health issues. He apologized a couple of times for putting this on me, but I could tell he just needed to talk. Fun walk.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote:I read today that Mario Williams was released again. So, his career and that of Reggie Bush are now choking on fumes. Vince Young is grasping at a CFL longshot possibility, and Matt Leinart is retired to a life as a college football commentator.

Remember when the Swamp raged with debates about how well they would do as they entered the NFL as fresh-faced rookies?
Vince Young a Roughrider!

http://www.tsn.ca/vince-young-signing-w ... s-1.691042
Gunpowder
The Dude

Post by Gunpowder »

Carl Lawson spoke of growing up watching James Harrison and LaMarr Woodley. LAMARR WOODLEY!
Pack a vest for your james in the city of intercourse
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

sancarlos wrote:I read today that Mario Williams was released again. So, his career and that of Reggie Bush are now choking on fumes. Vince Young is grasping at a CFL longshot possibility, and Matt Leinart is retired to a life as a college football commentator.

God, I hated that debate (IRL, not here). Here it turned into a UT v. non-UT fan thing and it was obnoxious. Then he goes to our hated rivalry and all these ex-Oilers fans started rooting for the Titans which made it even worse.
well this is gonna be someone's new signature - bronto
TT2.0
The Big Lebowski

Post by TT2.0 »

Giff wrote:

God, I hated that debate (IRL, not here). Here it turned into a UT v. non-UT fan thing and it was obnoxious. Then he goes to our hated rivalry and all these ex-Oilers fans started rooting for the Titans which made it even worse.
reggie bush might be the only thing ever i was actually right about
Gunpowder wrote:you transcend douchedom.
MOTHERFUCKING 2017 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS!!!
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

TT2.0 wrote:
Giff wrote:

Except Mario was better.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

I had to Google that Gatorade commercial, because I had no idea what song all of those kids and Serena were singing. Didn't recognize it and couldn't understand what they were saying. Turns out it was a pretty popular Kanye West song, "All of the Lights."

http://tvadvertsongs.com/gatorade-bars- ... he-lights/
Totally Kafkaesque
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Giff wrote:
TT2.0 wrote:
Giff wrote:

Except Mario was better.
And D'Brickashaw Ferguson at #4 was better than all of them.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ugh. So many typos in my post just up thread. Ugh.
Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Tracy McGrady, who is a few months younger than I am, was just elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I think that's a first for me from the major sports.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Tracy McGrady, who is a few months younger than I am, was just elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I think that's a first for me from the major sports.
When that popped up on my phone during L-Jam4's basketball practice, me and two other fathers said the same thing.
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Johnny Carwash wrote:Tracy McGrady, who is a few months younger than I am, was just elected to the Basketball Hall of Fame. I think that's a first for me from the major sports.
\
Larry Bird did that for me.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I'm a sucker for these types of factoids...

h/t former Swamper retweet
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

Him, Billy Zabka, and Martin Kove were at ABQ Comic Con in January. Martin Kove has certainly aged. Him and Billy still looked young. Unfortunately, just getting photographed with him was $40. So I passed, but he looked like he was having a fun time and was exceptionally gracious with everyone that was there.

This Funny or Die skit from 7 years ago isn't far off:

https://youtu.be/TAtd2r49wFw
Giff
The Dude

Post by Giff »

If they started a That 90s Show today, it'd be the same amount of time from the 1990s as it was from the 1970s and when they started That 70s Show.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was watching 90s Nation on MTV Classic and saw this and was reminded that I apparently once had a crush on Mariah Carey 25+ years ago.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=yU1knfz15xI
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote:Was watching 90s Nation on MTV Classic and saw this and was reminded that I apparently once had a crush on Mariah Carey 25+ years ago.
I saw something about her a few weeks ago and couldn't fathom how I used to think she was hot. Somewhere along the line she dropped the classy image and turned into complete trash.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Dale Murphy's Twitter bio mentions that he played for the Rockies and that he has 10 grandchildren
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Ryan wrote:Dale Murphy's Twitter bio mentions that he played for the Rockies and that he has 10 grandchildren
Well if you are going to list two of the teams you played for, you might as well list all three.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He was in his twenties in he 90s. Ten grandkids seems not unreasonable.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote:He was in his twenties in he 90s. Ten grandkids seems not unreasonable.
Maybe in Kentucky.

He was Mormon, so that explains his fruitfully multiplying. And I just learned, he had two sons in the NFL.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote:
Ryan wrote:Dale Murphy's Twitter bio mentions that he played for the Rockies and that he has 10 grandchildren
Well if you are going to list two of the teams you played for, you might as well list all three.
A grandfather that played for the Braves or Phillies wouldn't make me feel old.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Now I get it.