Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Rush2112
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Rush2112 »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm I just got the Senior's discount at Shoppers (like our Walgreen's).

It was painful when the cute cashier asked me if I qualified (age is 55), but listen - I just saved $8.
Fucking boomers.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Rush2112 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 2:34 pm
Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:00 pm I just got the Senior's discount at Shoppers (like our Walgreen's).

It was painful when the cute cashier asked me if I qualified (age is 55), but listen - I just saved $8.
Fucking boomers.
You can call me a lot of things, but just NEVER call me a "boomer."
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Was puzzling over the piped in music at the boardwalk amusement park I’m at going from Jewel (Who Will SAAAAAY-ve Your Soul) to Hey Jealousy and then realized they’re aiming right at the parents.

(311’s take on Love Song was next)
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

I hit 18 years in service next week. But my rank doesn't really reflect it. I'm also not graying or balding. Also, everyone I supervise has kids. Plus I keep up with memes online, so I'm aware of the latest hotness.

So it doesn't hit me that I'm "old" until I bring up something about the 80s or go "Oh, yeah, you were in grade school during 9/11."
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

“Johnnie you look great! What’s your secret?”

“reddit”
Johnnie
The Dude

Post by Johnnie »

You're not wrong.

Maybe I'm born with it. Maybe it's Meme-beline.
mister d wrote:Couldn't have pegged me better.
EnochRoot wrote:I mean, whatever. Johnnie's all hot cuz I ride him.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was explaining “1999” to my 3rd grader and how it wasn’t retrospective and when we looked up the date it came out we realized she’s 2+ years older now than I was at release.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

"Talking Heads:77," "The Clash," and "This Year's Model" were albums that changed my life (or at least the course of my musical life) and they came out when I was around 13.

While the music on those albums is more relevant today than the equivalent music released in 1935 was in the late 70s, it is horrifying for me to think that they came out 40+ years ago. So me playing something off of those albums would be similar to my father playing Glenn Miller or Benny Goodman in 1977.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Headed back to Boston today on a business trip. Reached out to a law school friend who lives in Boston, and realized that while we frequently email about our still living fantasy football league from law school, I haven't seen or actually spoken to him in 18 years since we graduated. Then I realized I started law school 21 years ago. Next year, the same amount of time will have passed from birth to first year law school, as first year law school to today. Fucking insane. It really feels like 5 or 10 years ago. Can't imagine how short today until 66 will feel. At least the sweet release of death will be around the corner to look forward to.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm Headed back to Boston today on a business trip. Reached out to a law school friend who lives in Boston, and realized that while we frequently email about our still living fantasy football league from law school, I haven't seen or actually spoken to him in 18 years since we graduated. Then I realized I started law school 21 years ago. Next year, the same amount of time will have passed from birth to first year law school, as first year law school to today. Fucking insane. It really feels like 5 or 10 years ago. Can't imagine how short today until 66 will feel. At least the sweet release of death will be around the corner to look forward to.
Wait a minute, I started law school 21 years ago. Just, yikes. I am already feeling the weight of mortality and middle age as it is. Off to the depression thread.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:07 pm
The Sybian wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:01 pm Headed back to Boston today on a business trip. Reached out to a law school friend who lives in Boston, and realized that while we frequently email about our still living fantasy football league from law school, I haven't seen or actually spoken to him in 18 years since we graduated. Then I realized I started law school 21 years ago. Next year, the same amount of time will have passed from birth to first year law school, as first year law school to today. Fucking insane. It really feels like 5 or 10 years ago. Can't imagine how short today until 66 will feel. At least the sweet release of death will be around the corner to look forward to.
Wait a minute, I started law school 21 years ago. Just, yikes. I am already feeling the weight of mortality and middle age as it is. Off to the depression thread.
Sorry man, totally not my intent. Been wondering about how you are doing. Hope treatment has helped.

Forgot to mention, the reason I gave so much thought to this is because the only time we could meet up is tonight. My friend is teaching a class at BU Law, and invited me to sit in. Haven't been back to the school. They built a new building a year or two after I graduated, so curious to see it. Also going to be weird seeing my 1L study group mate teaching a law class. Happens to be on sex crimes. He worked for the innocence project after his clerkship at the US District Court of American Samoa (genius plan, and only chance in hell he could get a federal clerkship. Got to live for free in Samoa for 2 years), he got a guy out after serving 25 years of a life sentence for a brutal rape he didn't commit. Or something like that.
-Pruitt
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Could not find someone so...just been gutting it out. Currently drafting a Complaint against a Diocese and others about a molestation involving my client when he was 11. Just stuffing my feelings with bread and starch, like a good midwesterner who doesn't really like drinking knows to do...
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

This world is a comedy to those that think; a tragedy to those that feel.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:46 pm Could not find someone so...just been gutting it out. Currently drafting a Complaint against a Diocese and others about a molestation involving my client when he was 11. Just stuffing my feelings with bread and starch, like a good midwesterner who doesn't really like drinking knows to do...
Don't give up looking. I used to use that as an excuse to avoid getting help. Looking for a therapist or psychiatrist seemed like an overwhelming task, because depression makes everything seem difficult and not worth the struggle, but a good therapist can make a world of difference. There must be some groups for people working closely with victims, who can share their burden with others who understand. It really is amazing how talking about it takes the invisible pain and gives it shape and works it out of your system. Can't explain it, so I hope that makes sense.
-Pruitt
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

I am not vouching for it, only posting it because I have heard ads for it on a couple podcasts and out may be a useful option, bengal. Talkspace.com - an online/mobile therapy company.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am I am not vouching for it, only posting it because I have heard ads for it on a couple podcasts and out may be a useful option, bengal. Talkspace.com - an online/mobile therapy company.
I will look into that as I order meundies
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm
DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:29 am I am not vouching for it, only posting it because I have heard ads for it on a couple podcasts and out may be a useful option, bengal. Talkspace.com - an online/mobile therapy company.
And Bombas. And Warby Parker glasses.

Also, a google search turned up a discount offer for Talkspace on their website.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

DSafetyGuy wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 4:30 pm
tennbengal wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:28 pm
And Bombas. And Warby Parker glasses.

Also, a google search turned up a discount offer for Talkspace on their website.
The only ad read Conan O'Brien takes seriously.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I won't wear dress socks that aren't Mack Weldon (used to also be their underwear), and Tommy John for underwear (see previous parenthetical.)

I absolutely at look into the products sold on my favorite podcasts and if they are reasonably priced, I'll give them a shot.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm about a week from buying spike strips to stop the fucking UPS trucks from flying down my one block street.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

mister d wrote: Fri Nov 08, 2019 12:41 pm I'm about a week from buying spike strips to stop the fucking UPS trucks from flying down my one block street.
2 days with Prime
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sciatica, amirite?
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

"Fucking A, man." - every member of my family over 50
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

rass wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:03 pm
rass wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:31 pm
A_B wrote: Tue Jan 22, 2019 2:27 pm Offically own reading glasses.
Oh shit! I have an eye exam next week.
20/20 and 20/25

Can’t really see right now, dialated. Kind of fun.
That was from January. The doc had given me a rx for reading glasses (+1.00 lenses) but I never did anything about it. Last week while waiting for my wife and kids to complete a shopping trip in Staples I tried on a pair of off the rack glasses and holy fuck did my phone pop. Going to pull the trigger this weekend, I think.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

NO JUST BUY THE GLASSES DUDE PEOPLE LOVE YOU
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ha!

Done. Got two pairs because they were buy one get one 50% and someone upthread suggested a pair for each place you might need them.

Using them now. Need to take them off to look up at the TV. Do they make bifocals where part of the lens has no magnification? Because that would have made sense. Maybe when I’m slightly older.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:10 pm someone upthread suggested a pair for each place you might need them.
I need them for reading, but I lose them and break them regularly, so I have purchased so many of them over the years. I have them laying all over the house.

These are a big help in not losing them. They fit in a compartment stuck on the back of my phone's case.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Like a lot of you, I watch Jeopardy semi-regularly. I used to think I could be a competitor on the show, but in recent years that has changed. Because, as I watch the show nowadays, many times I'll know I know the answer, but just can't spit it out as quickly as I used to be able to do. I know that regression is because I'm aging.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:32 pm Like a lot of you, I watch Jeopardy semi-regularly. I used to think I could be a competitor on the show, but in recent years that has changed. Because, as I watch the show nowadays, many times I'll know I know the answer, but just can't spit it out as quickly as I used to be able to do. I know that regression is because I'm aging.
I'm still good with Jeopardy and that style of trivia.

But what makes me feel old is pop culture trivia, or trivia from baseball or hockey which I haven't really followed in 20+ years.
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Growing my first beard in 10+ years. Bourbon chase was the last time I had a one, actually. It’s 90% white. So I’m 40, mostly bald, grey beard. Ugh.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

London Calling is 40 years old.

Christ all fucking mighty.

You have no idea how old this makes me feel.

But here it is, the sound of greatness...

EnochRoot
The Dude

Post by EnochRoot »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:30 pm London Calling is 40 years old.

Christ all fucking mighty.

You have no idea how old this makes me feel.

But here it is, the sound of greatness...

You can crush us
You can bruise us
But you'll have to answer to
oh, the guns of Brixton
Noli Timere Messorem
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Album has a better track list than most bands' greatest hits.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm Album has a better track list than most bands' greatest hits.
That’s a great Friday music discussion topic.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

P.D.X. wrote: Fri Nov 15, 2019 6:54 pm Album has a better track list than most bands' greatest hits.
Nicely put.

Not a bad track on there, and at least a dozen that are awesome.
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

“Wait, daddy. Will Smith was a rapper?”
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

I’m going to a headstone unveiling for my 34 year old cousin that OD’d last year. My (gf at the time now)wife and I babysat for this kid from birth-10 and now I’m standing over his grave. That shit ain’t right. I feel old and sad today.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

So sorry to hear it, bfj.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

That’s awful, BFJ. Sorry.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Horrible, just horrible.