Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Johnny Carwash
The Dude

Re: Random thoughts/images/shit that makes you feel old thread

Post by Johnny Carwash »

Zion Williamson, the early favorite to be the first pick in the NBA draft next year, was born in the year 2000.
Fanniebug wrote: P.S. rass! Dont write me again, dude! You're in ignore list!
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

In the year 2000....
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

govmentchedda wrote: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:58 pm In the year 2000....
Oh, that hurts.

I can also remember an old Toronto news blowhard ending an editorial - must have been something to do with government overreach of one type or another - at the end of the TV news by saying "is 1984 really that far away?"
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Not ready for pro athletes that could have been named after a Lauryn Hill song.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:29 am Not ready for pro athletes that could have been named after a Lauryn Hill song.
Maybe it was a Bob Marley song. Or the city of Jerusalem. :)
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

Just realized today that it has been nearly 27 years since the final Star Trek movie (as you can't call any movie Star Trek unless it stars Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley), and the greatest quote in the history of cinema, from Christopher Plummer as General Chang:
Oh, now, be honest, Captain... warrior to warrior...you do prefer it this way, don't you? As it was meant to be. No peace in our time. Once more unto the breach...dear friends.
Yes, I'm a bit of a nerd :). But that made me feel very old.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

He new Star Trek movies have been really good, imo.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:59 pm He new Star Trek movies have been really good, imo.
Saw the first in the theatre. Standing on its own, it was certainly more than fine, but I am heavily biased towards the original series and its cast.

ETA: Much better than the God awful TNG movies though. I never understood that, because TNG as a series was solid, if a bit less adventurous than the original.
Last edited by RSmith on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

RSmith wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 8:53 pm
A_B wrote: Mon Jul 02, 2018 7:59 pm He new Star Trek movies have been really good, imo.
Saw the first in the theatre. Standing on its own, it was certainly more than fine, but I am heavily biased towards the original series and its cast.
That’s fair. I didn’t have same allegiances. I actually never enjoyed tv show much but I think I have liked every movie with either cast.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Fri Jun 29, 2018 8:29 am Not ready for pro athletes that could have been named after a Lauryn Hill song.
Feels like this was an alley that no one ooped. Had I seen it at the time, I’d have made a Doowop “That Thing” Williamson joke. Goodnight.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

It’s a tossup whether the general soreness from 4 days of long runs and wave buffeting (and all day drinking) or my lack of tattoos is making me feel older this week.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

My knees are making me feel old this week.

Trying to get into shape is painful.
Birds don’t suck. They lack the necessary anatomical structures to do so.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm My knees are making me feel old this week.

I take glucosamine. It helps... up to a point.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

"What is this joint in my body, and why does it hurt so much?"
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 amI take glucosamine. It helps... up to a point.
My knee pain is patellar tendonitis, so it's a symptom of overworking my knees. I'm training for my backpacking trip at the end of September, and I'm just overtraining things. I didn't do much activity for a week and that seemed to help. I'm starting to ice my knees after a good workout, and I now do a daily stretching regimen to try to loosen up my hamstrings and glutes. My glutes are especially tight, and I've noticed my knee pain goes away right after I do my glute stretches.

I avoid pharmaceuticals as much as possible, but if my knees are feeling especially sore, I'll take three aspirin. I also take a turmeric supplement and use Biofreeze when needed. All of these things help so far.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 am
Sabo wrote: Wed Aug 29, 2018 9:58 pm My knees are making me feel old this week.
I take glucosamine. It helps... up to a point.
Could put this in the "Learn something..." thread, but after my heart incident, the cardiologist took me off of glucosamine, because it conflicts with my Plavix/Brilinta.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I feel better now, thanks. You guys are the best!
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 8:40 am
Pruitt wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 7:56 amI take glucosamine. It helps... up to a point.
My knee pain is patellar tendonitis, so it's a symptom of overworking my knees. I'm training for my backpacking trip at the end of September, and I'm just overtraining things. I didn't do much activity for a week and that seemed to help. I'm starting to ice my knees after a good workout, and I now do a daily stretching regimen to try to loosen up my hamstrings and glutes. My glutes are especially tight, and I've noticed my knee pain goes away right after I do my glute stretches.

I avoid pharmaceuticals as much as possible, but if my knees are feeling especially sore, I'll take three aspirin. I also take a turmeric supplement and use Biofreeze when needed. All of these things help so far.
If it continues, try acupuncture. I had severe patellar tendonitis for months, doctor gave me a prescription, nothing helped. Met a distant cousin acupuncturist, and in 30 minutes, it was completely healed. Swelling and soreness completely gone. Crazy stuff, especially since I didn't think it would work. I figured there must be something to it if the Chinese have used acupuncture for 5000 years, but the cousin was a bit of a ditsy flower child, and her step-father medical doctor laughed at me for letting her stick pins in me.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 am

If it continues, try acupuncture. I had severe patellar tendonitis for months, doctor gave me a prescription, nothing helped. Met a distant cousin acupuncturist, and in 30 minutes, it was completely healed. Swelling and soreness completely gone. Crazy stuff, especially since I didn't think it would work. I figured there must be something to it if the Chinese have used acupuncture for 5000 years, but the cousin was a bit of a ditsy flower child, and her step-father medical doctor laughed at me for letting her stick pins in me.
Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered trying acupuncture for other ailments over the years, but I'm not a fan of needles at all. Did you feel any pain or such when the needle was inserted?

My primary care doc (who I'm seeing tomorrow morning for my annual check up) doesn't do acupuncture, but another MD in her practice does. I'll probably ask her about it when she's doing the prostate exam.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Pins and needles down there? Sab-NO!
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Sabo wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:50 am
The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 10:38 am

Thanks for the suggestion. I've considered trying acupuncture for other ailments over the years, but I'm not a fan of needles at all. Did you feel any pain or such when the needle was inserted?

My primary care doc (who I'm seeing tomorrow morning for my annual check up) doesn't do acupuncture, but another MD in her practice does. I'll probably ask her about it when she's doing the prostate exam.
You don't feel the needles, it's not like a shot that punctures, it sits on the outer layers of the skin. They are super thin needles, and they don't draw blood. She used a tiny glass tube around the needle, and tapped the tube, it's not like getting stuck. The only thing you feel is similar to feeling a pulse, but weaker. and you can see the needles move with the pulse. Then I realized there were no arteries nearby, as it's the natural electrical current in your body moving from needle to needle, which is what speeds the healing process. It was actually really relaxing. Just laid down for 30 minutes with the soothing rhythmic pulse. My tendon was visible swollen and sore to the touch before hand, and the swelling completely disappeared, and the pain of each step completely gone. I immediately resumed workouts, and maybe 2 weeks later I had the slightest tendinitis, but a few days of rest and it left and never came back.
-Pruitt
Sabo
The Dude

Post by Sabo »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:11 amYou don't feel the needles, it's not like a shot that punctures, it sits on the outer layers of the skin. They are super thin needles, and they don't draw blood. She used a tiny glass tube around the needle, and tapped the tube, it's not like getting stuck. The only thing you feel is similar to feeling a pulse, but weaker. and you can see the needles move with the pulse. Then I realized there were no arteries nearby, as it's the natural electrical current in your body moving from needle to needle, which is what speeds the healing process. It was actually really relaxing. Just laid down for 30 minutes with the soothing rhythmic pulse. My tendon was visible swollen and sore to the touch before hand, and the swelling completely disappeared, and the pain of each step completely gone. I immediately resumed workouts, and maybe 2 weeks later I had the slightest tendinitis, but a few days of rest and it left and never came back.
Interesting. Thanks for the description. I'll definitely ask her about it and see what she thinks. Much obliged!
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Phil Hartman would have been 70(!!!) today.

(Lorne Michaels is only 3 or 4 years older than that)
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

rass wrote: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:04 am Phil Hartman would have been 70(!!!) today.

(Lorne Michaels is only 3 or 4 years older than that)
Really a tragedy that we were deprived of what would have probably been another great 20 years of Phil Hartman.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Phil Hartman really was amazingly funny.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Losing out on the role of George Frankly would end most careers.

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Saw a note this morning that Wham!'s second album Make it Big was released 34 years ago today. Which I'm pretty sure means that we're now farther removed from the debut of the movie Zoolander than Zoolander was from the debut of "Wake Me Up Before You Go-Go" when the movie came out.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I almost put something here last week about Byron Leftwich now being one quick decision away from being an NFL head coach, but then I forgot and now who cares because ROCCO BALDELLI.

Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

It's been 5 days since I was pretty close to getting into a thing with some old Masshole at IKEA and it just now occurred to me that I should have had my phone out just in case. That's probably a 17-year-old's number one fight or flight instinct, right?

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Go on ...
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Both my kids went to use the upstairs bathroom near the restaurant. The men's room was being cleaned, so they went to the family one that I think just had a couple urinals and one stall. I sat on a bench right outside while the younger one was pooping (for a very long time).

Meanwhile two guys (maybe father and son, maybe vagrants from a nearby Alcoholic Roofers convention, maybe both) kept getting increasingly annoyed, both at the woman who hadn't finished cleaning yet and whoever was taking so long in the stall. My first kid comes out after peeing, talks to me a for a little, and goes back to mom. Any non-moron would have recognized that I was probably still waiting for another kid.

After more than 5 minutes of NOT GOING TO FIND THE OTHER BATHROOM DOWNSTAIRS BECAUSE IKEA IS AN IMPENETRABLE ESCAPE ROOM FOR DUMB HUSBANDS, the younger of this two-person MENSA club finally announces from down the hall, "She's done cleaning!" The older gentleman stomps away from my bench loudly pronouncing, "Fucking finally. Jesus Christ, the kid's probably in there fuckin' jerking off."

Well! I told him what to do with that language about my child but he didn't turn around thank god because that $2 slice of chocolate would have been wasted with my jaw wired shut.

mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Was he?
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Not sure that you recording your kid pooping and showing it to the guys would have defused the situation.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Alright well have a good weekend fellas.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

Really good looking young woman at the gym today.

I wasn't wearing my glasses, so it wasn't until the 3rd time I looked over from the elliptical that I realized she is an old friend of my 19 year old daughter.

Jesus...
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Pruitt wrote: Fri Dec 07, 2018 5:08 pm Really good looking young woman at the gym today.

I wasn't wearing my glasses, so it wasn't until the 3rd time I looked over from the elliptical that I realized she is an old friend of my 19 year old daughter.

Jesus...
Ugh, that's gotta be a creepy feeling. On the plus side, I thought you were going to say it was your daughter, so it could have been worse.
-Pruitt
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

You know, the day my wife came home from a necessary prenatal screening when she was 8 months pregnant and said that we were going to have a girl, I knew shit like this could happen.

I may go to synagogue tomorrow just to clear my conscience.

Naaah - I'll watch soccer instead.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

No way they would know to dial one first.

-Pruitt
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Offically own reading glasses.