College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by Nonlinear FC »

None of those costs are real anymore. He'll get money, just depends on what flavor (grants vs. loans.)
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

Nonlinear FC wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:15 am None of those costs are real anymore. He'll get money, just depends on what flavor (grants vs. loans.)
The flavor will need to be full bodied. Hate the uncertainty, Wooster and Denison particularly he really liked and I think would do well at. The cost piece makes this whole process difficult.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

We got a lot more than we were expecting, but I don't know the differences between the bigger schools and the smaller in terms of what kind of aid they provide. Excluding the costs of getting her to and from Boston multiple times, it was pretty close to living on campus at UK. Of course it all depends on what you and your wife make, too. My wife has a good job but wasn't really highly paid so that likely worked in our favor (she did get a good raise the next tax year, but they had already figured the amount of aid and they guarantee it for four years, which is nice).
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Our daughter got a merit scholarship. But we have good equity in our home and that fucked us on any other grants/money.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Daughter texted me tonight...she's made her decision:

Go Zags!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:16 pm Our daughter got a merit scholarship. But we have good equity in our home and that fucked us on any other grants/money.
Jesus, 2nd mortgaging the house is part of the calculation?
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Nice, DiS!

And Mister D, EVERYTHING is part of the calculation. Take applying for a loan and then add a few steps you never would have dreamed of.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I guess I got super lucky not coming from money or land.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

A_B wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:18 am Nice, DiS!

thanks. I didn't even have to pay anyone to take her SAT's or get her a spot on the Crew team.
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am

thanks. I didn't even have to pay anyone to take her SAT's or get her a spot on the Crew team.
which your ex will some how use against you to show how much you don't care about your kids
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:00 am

You are apparently not doing it right.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:47 am Daughter texted me tonight...she's made her decision:

Go Zags!
Fantastic, Dave. Congrats to you and her.
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 2:32 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:47 am Daughter texted me tonight...she's made her decision:

Go Zags!
Thanks! I'm super proud of her. She's worked really hard for this.

And...to be honest...I was just excited to be able to have a reason for searching for Adam Morrison pictures.
Steve of phpBB
The Dude

Post by Steve of phpBB »

DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Go Zags!

And...to be honest...I was just excited to be able to have a reason for searching for Adam Morrison pictures.
Plus, think of all those trips to Spokane!
And his one problem is he didn’t go to Russia that night because he had extracurricular activities, and they froze to death.
DaveInSeattle
The Dude

Post by DaveInSeattle »

Steve of phpBB wrote: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:07 pm
DaveInSeattle wrote: Thu Mar 21, 2019 5:53 pm

Go Zags!

Plus, think of all those trips to Spokane!
Spoke-tucky!

I am looking forward to visiting this place again:

No-Li Brewhouse
blundercrush
Brandt

Post by blundercrush »

I got a 26 on the ACT and with a...3.6? in HS was basically guaranteed to get into UW or WWU back in 2004. I didn't submit my SAT's because the conversion score back then was worse. I studied some for the ACT's but freaking out about getting under 30 unless you are legitimately trying to go to a super tough school...no thanks. (having learning disabilities are clearly a completely separate ball game, other than being a lazy asshole, I do not.)

As opposed to my sister who worked her ass off and got a 1560 SAT (out of 1600) and wouldn't tell anyone...but she went to Harvard so you know, different strokes.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

The WWU of the Northeast
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Congrats Dave!
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
Pruitt
The Dude

Post by Pruitt »

That's great news. I hope she loves the place.
"beautiful, with an exotic-yet-familiar facial structure and an arresting gaze."
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

I was talking to a friend the other day about the schools his daughter is thinking about applying to. He was rattling off some names, primarily in the DC area, then mentioned Liberty University was throwing a lot of aid offers at them as a diversity student (they are black). I think my face betrayed my surprise at the mention of Liberty, as he said, "I know it's a religious school, but they are offering a lot of incentives." I know this guys is very Liberal in his politics, but I don't think he is aware of how much of a fringe institution Liberty is. OTOH, I think he is a somewhat religious guy, and I don't know him well enough to broach that. I feel like I should have at least told him to research Liberty's politics and curriculum. Such an awkward position, because I don't want to get preachy, but I also don't want him to unwittingly send his daughter to a RW extremist brainwashing factory, especially since they are preying on his daughter to get a minority face in their student body.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

The Sybian wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:30 pm I was talking to a friend the other day about the schools his daughter is thinking about applying to. He was rattling off some names, primarily in the DC area, then mentioned Liberty University was throwing a lot of aid offers at them as a diversity student (they are black). I think my face betrayed my surprise at the mention of Liberty, as he said, "I know it's a religious school, but they are offering a lot of incentives." I know this guys is very Liberal in his politics, but I don't think he is aware of how much of a fringe institution Liberty is. OTOH, I think he is a somewhat religious guy, and I don't know him well enough to broach that. I feel like I should have at least told him to research Liberty's politics and curriculum. Such an awkward position, because I don't want to get preachy, but I also don't want him to unwittingly send his daughter to a RW extremist brainwashing factory, especially since they are preying on his daughter to get a minority face in their student body.
You owe it to him and yourself to have that discussion. Friends don't let friends...
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
Is that still the case? You’re an expert now!

We’re heading to Boston the week after Easter. Brown on the way up, and BU and Northeastern. She’s been in touch with track coaches at both of those Boston schools and we rearranged the tour schedules so she can meet with them. BC has no tours that week, and she’s not interested in Tufts or Harvard though we might walk the latter and BC.

Staying at a hotel in Beacon Hill. Tell me what to do to eat and drink well if we have the chance.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Tower records and emack and bolios.
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:06 pm emack and bolios.
Used to be one near here but never went.

(near meaning suburban North Jersey, looks like there are some locations in NYC that are “near”)
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

:)
rass wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:55 am Drinking venues close to bu campus are virtually nonexistent
Is that still the case? You’re an expert now!

We’re heading to Boston the week after Easter. Brown on the way up, and BU and Northeastern. She’s been in touch with track coaches at both of those Boston schools and we rearranged the tour schedules so she can meet with them. BC has no tours that week, and she’s not interested in Tufts or Harvard though we might walk the latter and BC.

Staying at a hotel in Beacon Hill. Tell me what to do to eat and drink well if we have the chance.
My drinking in Boston days are over. Bentley and Brandeis are in a much better college town.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:33 pm
HaulCitgo wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 5:06 pm emack and bolios.
Used to be one near here but never went.

(near meaning suburban North Jersey, looks like there are some locations in NYC that are “near”)
Westfield? Didnt realize they closed. Planned on going for years, so I guess it’s my fault.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

I was thinking Millburn? Just looked it up and it says I was right and there was (WAS) one in Livingston, too. I don’t see any current locations on this side of the tunnels and bridges.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Additional suggestions in the vicinity from 1987. Combat zone. Downtown crossing. Haymarket pushcarts on weekends. Quincy market still there though
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 7:08 pm I was thinking Millburn? Just looked it up and it says I was right and there was (WAS) one in Livingston, too. I don’t see any current locations on this side of the tunnels and bridges.
There was one in Westfield, too. Looks like they closed all their NJ locations. Seemed like it was always busy.
-Pruitt
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Ok, ice cream. Anything else? Headed out this morning (had to board the new puppy for the first time, sad!). Weather looks like it’s going to be pretty great so we got that.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Anna's Taqueria had amazing carnitas burritos back in the day. Pretty sure they're still around. Just googled and sadly it looks like Matt Murphy's pub in Brookline didn't make it out of the pandemic. I really loved that place. Brown Sugar Thai on Comm Ave looks like it's still there. Very tasty crispy duck dish, IIRC.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 9:19 am Anna's Taqueria had amazing carnitas burritos back in the day. Pretty sure they're still around. Just googled and sadly it looks like Matt Murphy's pub in Brookline didn't make it out of the pandemic. I really loved that place. Brown Sugar Thai on Comm Ave looks like it's still there. Very tasty crispy duck dish, IIRC.
Anna's was the best! Closest thing to a California burrito I've found on the East Coast. I'm not going to even begin to make university or restaurant related recommendations, because fuck, that was 22 years ago!!!!! On a Dad note, find a way to get to Trillium Brewery. They now have little popups in a few touristy spots, but for my money, that's the best brewery in America.
-Pruitt
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Echo the Trillium rec... It's not that far from Northeastern, which was my touchstone back in the days my son was there. Also a good food hall that is right there.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Sat Apr 01, 2023 4:23 pm
Staying at a hotel in Beacon Hill.
Hope it's not the Revere Hotel [insert link from another thread a few days ago].
-Pruitt
EdRomero
Donny

Post by EdRomero »

If you're staying in Beacon Hill, you can do a ton of walking with the great weather. You can get to the North End and Rose Kennedy Greenway easily. Unfortunately the beer gardens probably aren't set up yet. Also walking down Newbury and back on Boylston which they're getting ready for the Marathon, then through Boston Common is a nice walk. If you want to run, cross the river and try out the Harvard Stadium stairs and running along the Charles is great.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're in Beacon Hill, ice cream is JP Licks. Good local chain, excellent coffee oreo.

If you're driving the way I assume you would, you have to stop at Treehouse Charlton which isn't far off around the 84/Mass Pike connection.

My food recs remain Cambridge/Somerville based which is an easy red line or walk over the bridge from Beacon Hill. Waypoint in Cambridge Square and Puritan in Inman (no train stop but easy walk from Central). Lamplighter is below Trillium (which is below Treehouse) but still a very good brewery and has or had a nice outdoor space in summer 2021.

I don't know the areas around the colleges very well because they were a pain in the ass to get to, but heading back towards Fenway there's a good barbecue spot by a name chef (Sweet Cheeks / Tiffani Faison), an outpost of Eventide, Tasty Burger (VG for a local chain) and a Trillium outpost all inside like 2 blocks or something.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

And Flour bakery forever. There are a lot now so just google the closest to wherever you are. Go to the one between Kendall and Central if you want to get emotional thinking about how I used to take little baby Q there on weekend AMs.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

EdRomero wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 11:27 am If you're staying in Beacon Hill, you can do a ton of walking with the great weather. You can get to the North End and Rose Kennedy Greenway easily. Unfortunately the beer gardens probably aren't set up yet. Also walking down Newbury and back on Boylston which they're getting ready for the Marathon, then through Boston Common is a nice walk. If you want to run, cross the river and try out the Harvard Stadium stairs and running along the Charles is great.
I second this. Running along the Charles is fantastic.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

As long as you don't keep calling it "the Chaahls" in your head over and over while running there. "Fahk you, kid, I'm runnin' along the chaahls. Fahk you. Chaahls." Don't think about that.
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

All I got is the T. Red line Park St to Cambridge. Nice view crossing river to mit central square Harvard. All are nice. And yeah Mr d knows it's the other ice cream shop.