College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

blundercrush
Brandt

Re: College Visits

Post by blundercrush »

I mean I strongly recommend trying to learn either in the middle of nowhere or downtown where you can never go faster than 30, but other than that...lots of really stupid inattentive people drive every single day. I have faith.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I didn't have one in Philadelphia and it was fine except for trips back home when I had to walk 4 blocks to the subway and then take the subway to 30th street then take SEPTA to Trenton then take NJ Transit to NY Penn then walk over to Grand Central then take Metro North to Poughkeepsie. I wished I had a car then.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

blundercrush wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:07 pm I mean I strongly recommend trying to learn either in the middle of nowhere or downtown where you can never go faster than 30, but other than that...lots of really stupid inattentive people drive every single day. I have faith.
Oh, I've already taught her to drive, and she's quite good (strictly speaking, probably better/more defensive than I). She's had a G1 (beginner's permit, where one must have an experienced driver in the car) for more than a year. It's more the fact of her driving in a big/busy city that concerns me, as opposed to a small city of 400,000 or so, without any freeways, which is where she's done all her driving to this point.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm Thanks, I'll let Rsmith know.

(My daughter is not taking a car to Boston.)
Ha. I don't know how I misread RSmith's name as yours!
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:11 pm Is this give AB random advice day? I didn't get the memo.
Blew your little mind, eh?
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
RSmith
Brandt

Post by RSmith »

sancarlos wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 4:52 pm
A_B wrote: Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:03 pm Thanks, I'll let Rsmith know.

(My daughter is not taking a car to Boston.)
Ha. I don't know how I misread RSmith's name as yours!
Well, they do have zero of the same letters, after all. ;-)
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

So we're shipping up there on Labor Day weekend. Move-in day is Saturday, but we will probably stay a few hours outside of Boston Friday night and finish our trip in Saturday morning. Looking at places a couple of hours out and it seems like New Haven is probably my best bet. And I can get a decent priced hotel. Any of you more local to that area have better suggestions?
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Aleppo
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
L-Jam3
The Dude

Post by L-Jam3 »

Gary Johnson wrote:What's Aleppo?
My avatar corresponds on my place in the Swamp posting list with the all-time Home Run list. Number 45 is Paul Konerko with 439.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

New Haven has some really good restaurants. It’s famous for its pizza but there’s some other very good dining options there. (Having Yale faculty, alums and parents as potential customers obviously helps.) At least from a dining and access to the train/highway standpoint, I don’t think you’ll do better.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

Similar priced hotels in the Mystic-Groton area? It's nicer
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

Ryan wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:14 am Similar priced hotels in the Mystic-Groton area? It's nicer
Looks like that would add time to the trip on friday and not make it any better on saturday morning.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

If you've never been, you might be surprised to learn that much of New Haven is a shithole, but I'm presuming the hotel is in a decent area adjacent to dining and whatnot, so you'll be fine I'm sure. Like Joe said, when you're there best bet is a New Haven-style pizza. Don't overthink it.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am If you've never been, you might be surprised to learn that much of New Haven is a shithole, but I'm presuming the hotel is in a decent area adjacent to dining and whatnot, so you'll be fine I'm sure. Like Joe said, when you're there best bet is a New Haven-style pizza. Don't overthink it.
Well, since I can't possibly know what good pizza is since I'm from Kentucky, this seems like a smart idea.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:39 am
brian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:34 am If you've never been, you might be surprised to learn that much of New Haven is a shithole, but I'm presuming the hotel is in a decent area adjacent to dining and whatnot, so you'll be fine I'm sure. Like Joe said, when you're there best bet is a New Haven-style pizza. Don't overthink it.
Well, since I can't possibly know what good pizza is since I'm from Kentucky, this seems like a smart idea.
Pepe’s and Sally’s are the most famous pizza places but IMO, Modern is just as good and is an easier table. It’s been a while since I’ve been there (maybe 10 years) but I don’t think places like that change things up too often.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

Well, I wasn't saying that. Just saying don't pass up a chance to get real New Haven-style pizza.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If there's a home game that day, move-in weekend is (quite seriously) the absolute worst time to be in Boston so keep that in mind when taking an impression.

(If there's no a home game, move-in weekend becomes the second worst time to be there.)
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

brian wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:50 am
Well, I wasn't saying that. Just saying don't pass up a chance to get real New Haven-style pizza.
Just a callback to when Jerloma made fun of me for thinking I could get good pizza around here.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:58 am If there's a home game that day, move-in weekend is (quite seriously) the absolute worst time to be in Boston so keep that in mind when taking an impression.

(If there's no a home game, move-in weekend becomes the second worst time to be there.)
Yeah, I'm not expecting it to be a walk in the park. Looks like the Sox are out of town that weekend, though. Is the worst time otherwise that regatta? Because that's parent's weekend and you can't sniff a hotel room under $350 anywhere.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I'm not sure there's ever a good hotel time there, definitely hasn't been the last 3 times I've gone back. I was talking more about the flood of cars and people who have never driven there causing mass congestion.

If you want to eat but also get away from the immediate area, head up to Cambridge/Somerville and go to Highland Kitchen. The one singular restaurant I'd move down here if I could.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That's between campus and where we are spending the night, so might try it out.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

If you're heading in that direction, Lamplighter brewing is in the same area and really, really good. Gets a little less hype than it should because of Trillium (and Tree House) being local. I have about a dozen other recs if there's anything specific you'd be looking for.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

mister d wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 am If you're heading in that direction, Lamplighter brewing is in the same area and really, really good. Gets a little less hype than it should because of Trillium (and Tree House) being local. I have about a dozen other recs if there's anything specific you'd be looking for.
Im defnitely going to try to get a sampling of beers from around there. FIgured I could find a liquor store and build a couple of sixers. Not sure how much time we will have to freestyle.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

You're better off going to the sources, it'll be better selection and fresher. Even just getting to one of Lamplighter or Trillium is better than hitting up a beer store for variety. Of those two, Lamplighter is easier to get to and they have a whole separate takeout area on the left so it doesn't matter if they're jammed at the time. But if you want to ignore me, Downtown in Davis Square is your best bet store.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am
mister d wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:23 am If you're heading in that direction, Lamplighter brewing is in the same area and really, really good. Gets a little less hype than it should because of Trillium (and Tree House) being local. I have about a dozen other recs if there's anything specific you'd be looking for.
Im defnitely going to try to get a sampling of beers from around there. FIgured I could find a liquor store and build a couple of sixers. Not sure how much time we will have to freestyle.
Just go to Trillium. I suggest pulling the car up to the brewery, and filling every open inch of car space with cans and bottles.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
Square Rob
Jesus Quintana

Post by Square Rob »

Good luck AB. Is the Mrs prepared?

Move in days at the local were Th and Fr last week. Fun for us now as we live a block off campus. Neighborhood is a little more vibrant now, which is fun. Also can’t complain about dozens of co-eds all over.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I think the Mrs. is prepared. It is becoming more "real" in the last few days. Buying up supplies, making travel arrangements, etc.

And we had a slight change in plan. She is actually able to move in on Friday, so we are moving our whole itinerary up a day to accommodate that. We won't have student helpers, but we have four people already and two good carts. So I'm hopeful Friday is a bit easier to navigate than Saturday.

Daughter was good with going early because her roommate will already be there. As an international student, her roommate is moving in on this coming weekend I think. At any rate she will already be there.
BSF21
The Dude

Post by BSF21 »

Good luck AB! I'm sure she'll do great!
Dances with Wolves (1) - BSF

"This place was rockin'," said BSF21.

"There is nothing ever uncommon about BSF21."
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:27 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 11:26 am
Just go to Trillium. I suggest pulling the car up to the brewery, and filling every open inch of car space with cans and bottles.
Lamplighter is definitely more accessible. But now that we may have more time in the city ( we havne't decided if we will start back on Saturday now or stay until Sunday still) it may be doable.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

At the rosk of fucking it all up...no snags so far.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

I had dunkin and wahlburgers today. I enjoyed both. I’m all in.
Joe K
Walter Sobchak

Post by Joe K »

A_B wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 pm I had dunkin and wahlburgers today. I enjoyed both. I’m all in.
The Boston chain I miss the most is Anna’s Tacqueria. Man, I loved that place.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Had the chance to tour Salisbury University on our way home from the ocean last week. It's a nice pleasant surprise to walk onto a campus not expecting much and find a new, clean, modern campus with new beautiful buildings, dorms that don't look like jail cells and a student body that seems to have a lot of options of majors and activities on campus. My son, who has been talking about nothing but Towson University since he saw it, now puts Salisbury as another choice that he would really consider.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
A_B
The Dude

Post by A_B »

That’s great.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Joe K wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:31 pm
A_B wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 9:19 pm I had dunkin and wahlburgers today. I enjoyed both. I’m all in.
Oh, shit I forgot about Anna's! That place was awesome! The best burrito I've ever had outside of San Fran. Can anyone remember the other local burrito place? They had a location at Kenmore Square, and I can't remember the name of it. I'm thinking they had a bull in the logo. Wasn't great, but more convenient...
-Pruitt
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

Agreed, and the Boston not chain that I miss the most is Matt Murphy's.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 pm
Oh, shit I forgot about Anna's! That place was awesome! The best burrito I've ever had outside of San Fran. Can anyone remember the other local burrito place? They had a location at Kenmore Square, and I can't remember the name of it. I'm thinking they had a bull in the logo. Wasn't great, but more convenient...
Was it in Kenmore Square proper, or a little closer to campus? Seems like I remember one kinda between the law school and the main school library on Comm Ave that was delicious.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

We overdid Anna’s.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

I don't blame you.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:42 am
The Sybian wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:27 pm
Was it in Kenmore Square proper, or a little closer to campus? Seems like I remember one kinda between the law school and the main school library on Comm Ave that was delicious.
Closer to the main library, you are correct.

ETA: Google maps street view with multiple years to the rescue! Boca Grande! It was actually past the bookstore by a block. Looks like they went out of business at some point between June 2011 and May 2013. It looks empty through May 2014, then followed by Amsterdam Falafel, which somehow went out of business somewhere between October 2016 and August 2017.
-Pruitt