College Visits

Okay . . . let's try this again.

Moderators: Shirley, Sabo, brian, rass, DaveInSeattle

Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Re: College Visits

Post by Nonlinear FC »

sancarlos wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm My father went to Denver (and played hockey there). 2017 National champs. And recently, as soon as they were eliminated from the NCAA playoffs, four of their players signed with the NHL teams that had drafted them. So, yeah, big-time hockey.

But, it is a rich kid school, with a prominent greek culture.
Our biggest red flag is a place dominated by greek culture. I distinctly remember visiting Bucknell and being turned off by the scene.

My wife is digging around and she is getting the sense that the school is making a concerted effort to shift the culture. But that will be the biggest thing on our radar when we visit in a few weeks.
You can lead a horse to fish, but you can't fish out a horse.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

Interesting stuff in here. My son just took a visit to Duke today. He's a junior, so this is just preliminary scouting out. The Swamp will be pleased to note that he didn't seem to rate it too highly. He's visited three schools so far and currently ranks Davidson high over Duke and UNC (not sure which of those two he prefers, but probably Duke since it's smaller).

AB and SC, those are some impressive credentials for your daughters. I'm sure you're both quite proud. My son takes the ACT in a couple of weekends and he's hoping for a 35 or 36, but we'll see. He got a 34 when he took it last summer. In theory, now that he's had most of his junior year, he should be able to do better, but there's always some variability and of course, you can't slip much and maintain one of those scores. His high school doesn't give grades, so we're thinking test scores might count more for him.
Totally Kafkaesque
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

Thanks, Shirley. It's been a rough six months in the Bond household to be honest, but getting this decided lifted a cloud for sure.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'll feel a lot better when she makes her final college choice, and we can make some plans. She's a great kid, but this is clearly stressing her out.
"What a bunch of pedantic pricks." - sybian
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 am I'll feel a lot better when she makes her final college choice, and we can make some plans. She's a great kid, but this is clearly stressing her out.
Maybe you should be working on her instead of the wife regarding recreational marijuana.
“All I'm sayin' is, he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.”
HaulCitgo
Walter Sobchak

Post by HaulCitgo »

Congrats on the acceptances. Y'all must be doing something right.
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 am
A_B wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am Well. It's looking like BU, sight unseen. On one hand, it was a school she was very interested in from the jump (it's in the first post) but I have some trepidation about never having been there. They gave a much more generous aid package than we were expecting, so it is surprisingly close to UK if she lived on campus here. We are going to try to get up there, but it doesn't look like it will be before she has to make a decision. She had a couple of other options, but the ones that would have beaten BU declined her admission.

Thanks to all of you, and I know it sounds like BU might not have been the swamp's first choice, but she is excited so we are going to try to be excited, too.
Syb and I know a thing about BU. It's definitely a city school. I enjoyed my year there. Other than its insane sports fans, Boston is a great, liveable town. She's probably going to stick out a bit, coming from Kentucky, just like I did, coming from Florida.
BU is an interesting school, because there isn't much of a campus, it's just buildings in the middle of a city. The beauty of it, is you can really make whatever you want out of your college experience. There are tons of activities, but you can do your own thing living in the city and not be stuck on a campus. I'm happy to discuss in detail if you or your daughter would like, but going there for law school was much different than the undergrad experience.

I don't know how much it changed in the last 17 years, but there were a lot of kids who came from big money. Maybe I just noticed them because I found them so obnoxious, and going to a state school and living in upstate New York, I had never been exposed to the upper crust, but it was a bit of culture shock for me. Lots of products of trophy wives dressed in all black designer clothes and purses that cost more than a car. My first year or two, there were tons of kids from Asian magnates, then the Asian economies collapsed and they all went home. Not sure if BU resumed as a magnet for Asian billionaires' kids.

I think Boston is a great city to go to school, because it is so small and accessible. You get all the benefits of a city, but it has a small, comfortable feel. It doesn't have the grit and fast-paced energy of New York, plus there are something like 50 colleges in the greater Boston area, so there is an enormous population of college kids, and activities geared towards college kids.

While I absolutely hated law school, I loved living in Boston. I would highly recommend not owning a car in Boston.
An honest to God cult of personality - formed around a failed steak salesman.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Oh hell yeah on the car. Its not even a "don't need it", its an active negative in a lot of spots.
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

My kid toured Towson and will be going to York College this weekend, if it doesn’t snow. He is firmly in the undecided major camp. His grades have been improving and he’s sitting for SAT and ACT over the next two months.

In a one on one with his college counselor, he told her “I need to be within an hour of my house. My brother is a handful and I want to be close to home to help with him”. Sweet kid. Of course, later that night he told me to shut up. Douche.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
govmentchedda
The Dude

Post by govmentchedda »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:31 pm
govmentchedda wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:31 am
A_B wrote: Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am Well. It's looking like BU, sight unseen. On one hand, it was a school she was very interested in from the jump (it's in the first post) but I have some trepidation about never having been there. They gave a much more generous aid package than we were expecting, so it is surprisingly close to UK if she lived on campus here. We are going to try to get up there, but it doesn't look like it will be before she has to make a decision. She had a couple of other options, but the ones that would have beaten BU declined her admission.

Thanks to all of you, and I know it sounds like BU might not have been the swamp's first choice, but she is excited so we are going to try to be excited, too.
Syb and I know a thing about BU. It's definitely a city school. I enjoyed my year there. Other than its insane sports fans, Boston is a great, liveable town. She's probably going to stick out a bit, coming from Kentucky, just like I did, coming from Florida.
BU is an interesting school, because there isn't much of a campus, it's just buildings in the middle of a city. The beauty of it, is you can really make whatever you want out of your college experience. There are tons of activities, but you can do your own thing living in the city and not be stuck on a campus. I'm happy to discuss in detail if you or your daughter would like, but going there for law school was much different than the undergrad experience.

I don't know how much it changed in the last 17 years, but there were a lot of kids who came from big money. Maybe I just noticed them because I found them so obnoxious, and going to a state school and living in upstate New York, I had never been exposed to the upper crust, but it was a bit of culture shock for me. Lots of products of trophy wives dressed in all black designer clothes and purses that cost more than a car. My first year or two, there were tons of kids from Asian magnates, then the Asian economies collapsed and they all went home. Not sure if BU resumed as a magnet for Asian billionaires' kids.

I think Boston is a great city to go to school, because it is so small and accessible. You get all the benefits of a city, but it has a small, comfortable feel. It doesn't have the grit and fast-paced energy of New York, plus there are something like 50 colleges in the greater Boston area, so there is an enormous population of college kids, and activities geared towards college kids.

While I absolutely hated law school, I loved living in Boston. I would highly recommend not owning a car in Boston.
Very similar experiences here.
Until everything is less insane, I'm mixing weed with wine.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

The news that your kids are at 35 ACTs is making me hyperventilate. Q has come a long way since the dyslexia was diagnosed in 3rd grade but he’s not a great standardized test taker and even with tutoring I would be thrilled if he can just get to a 26-28. And places turning your kids down at 35s with great grades? Fuck.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

Does Q qualify for accommodations because of the dyslexia? My son gets extra time and smaller testing spaces because of his ADHD.
BFJ is the town wizard who runs a magic shop. He also has a golem that he has trained to attack anti-Semites.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm The news that your kids are at 35 ACTs is making me hyperventilate. Q has come a long way since the dyslexia was diagnosed in 3rd grade but he’s not a great standardized test taker and even with tutoring I would be thrilled if he can just get to a 26-28. And places turning your kids down at 35s with great grades? Fuck.
He's a white dude. He's got this. ; )
Johnnie wrote: Sat Sep 10, 2022 8:13 pmOh shit, you just reminded me about toilet paper.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

bfj wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 8:26 pm Does Q qualify for accommodations because of the dyslexia? My son gets extra time and smaller testing spaces because of his ADHD.
He will. But there’s still likely gonna be a ceiling for his score.
Shirley
The Dude

Post by Shirley »

tennbengal wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 7:16 pm The news that your kids are at 35 ACTs is making me hyperventilate. Q has come a long way since the dyslexia was diagnosed in 3rd grade but he’s not a great standardized test taker and even with tutoring I would be thrilled if he can just get to a 26-28. And places turning your kids down at 35s with great grades? Fuck.
Yeah, you know, I feel a bit guilty about sharing those scores. It does sound like humblebragging, and I guess it probably is (I mean, we're all proud of our kids). But man, there are SO many great colleges in this country - you obviously don't need a 35 or 36 to get into a great school that's a great fit for your kid.

Like bfj mentioned, my son gets extra time on his tests and he doesn't bubble in the sheets (because he'd likely fuck up and end up bubbling one number off for 80% of the test). And he'll get to type the writing section. It's worth fighting for those accommodations if your kid qualifies. It's actually not much of a fight anyway.

TBH, while I've always known my son was smart, I wasn't really sure it would show on standardized tests, because he just thinks differently than most people. He's a good student, but not great. And he has always made stupid mistakes (he has been known to misspell his own name). Since we thought that he might have problems with standardized tests (and his school doesn't administer any), we've had him take the ACT every year since 7th (when he first did it for Duke TIP). That familiarity has helped him, I think.
Totally Kafkaesque
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:47 pm
Yeah, you know, I feel a bit guilty about sharing those scores. It does sound like humblebragging, and I guess it probably is (I mean, we're all proud of our kids).
Fuck it, we are like family, except I actually like most of you. None of the comments here came off as bragging, and if we can't brag here, where can we brag?
-Pruitt
Rush2112
The Dude

Post by Rush2112 »

As someone who used to teach, I'm most jealous of his HS really.
Did you see that ludicrous display last night?
A_B
The Dude
Location: Getting them boards like a wolf in the chicken pen.

Post by A_B »

The Sybian wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:52 pm
Shirley wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:47 pm
Yeah, you know, I feel a bit guilty about sharing those scores. It does sound like humblebragging, and I guess it probably is (I mean, we're all proud of our kids).
Fuck it, we are like family, except I actually like most of you. None of the comments here came off as bragging, and if we can't brag here, where can we brag?
I always feel a bit bad talking about it because it does seem like bragging but I was working off your sentiment. I NEVER talk about this stuff to people in real life except for the closest of friends/family.
You know what you need? A lyrical sucker punch to the face.
tennbengal
The Dude

Post by tennbengal »

I seriously didn't mean to make you all feel self-conscious. Q is a tremendous student, way more diligent than I was at that age (he's finishing up his sophomore year), or frankly, even now to be honest. Really good grades at a hard school. He's basically fluent in Spanish already and is adding French next year to his program just because he can and wants to learn a third language. He's smarter than me, truth be told. It's just that he's gonna be capped on what he can get on the SAT or ACT even with accommodations, I suspect. Some kids are really comfortable with the standardized test format, others are not. He falls in the latter category. It will be fine, he will get into plenty of schools when the time comes, all of which will be crazy expensive I am sure.

I was mostly just amazed that those kinds of scores and grades are not getting into some colleges and universities beyond the Ivy league schools. That's unreal. And congrats to you all as parents for having raised that kind of student. That's awesome.
Last edited by tennbengal on Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

I...don't want to do any of this.
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
duff
Donny

Post by duff »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 am He's basically fluent in Spanish already and is adding French next year to his program just because he can and wants to learn a third language.
He should probably start learning Russian so he can communicate with our soon to be overlords.
To quote both Bruce Prichard and Tony Schiavone, "Fuck Duff Meltzer."
rass
The Dude

Post by rass »

Glad I have 5 or 6 years to work on my "look kiddo, I'm not going to say the school you choose doesn't matter at all, but I am going to say not being $100K+ in debt *does* matter more than the school you choose" speech. Sort of hoping my wife still has grad school debt at that point to really drive the point home.
I felt aswirl with warm secretions.
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:39 am I...don't want to do any of this.
Nope. One can be a plumber, the other can be an electrician.
Ryan
The Dude

Post by Ryan »

sancarlos wrote: Wed Apr 04, 2018 10:44 am I'll feel a lot better when she makes her final college choice, and we can make some plans. She's a great kid, but this is clearly stressing her out.
As parents, we all wish we could take on the stress from our kids. Did you try that?
he’s a fixbking cyborg or some shit. The

holy fuckbAllZ, what a ducking nightmare. Holy shot. Just, fuck. The
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

Ryan wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:12 am
As parents, we all wish we could take on the stress from our kids. Did you try that?
This might be the most fucked up joke in the history of the Swamp, and it's fucking beautiful.
-Pruitt
The Sybian
The Dude

Post by The Sybian »

rass wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:38 am Glad I have 5 or 6 years to work on my "look kiddo, I'm not going to say the school you choose doesn't matter at all, but I am going to say not being $100K+ in debt *does* matter more than the school you choose" speech.
My father gave me this speak, but couched it as, "if you go to a State school, I'll pay the whole bill. You can choose to go to a private school, but I refuse to pay a dime towards a decision that stupid." So it was entirely my choice, with no influence! Being in New York, it was a different decision, as SUNY system is so heavily subsidized, it was inexpensive, and I had a ton of schools to choose from, and a few high quality options. State schools in NJ aren't all that affordable for in-state students, so I'm banking on my daughter getting a soccer scholarship.
-Pruitt
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

I just assume higher education won't exist in 12 years.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

It will be replaced by unpaid internships at the closest Carl's Jr.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
mister d
The Dude

Post by mister d »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:49 amThis might be the most fucked up joke in the history of the Swamp, and it's fucking beautiful.
Might beat "two foot drop", which was my favorite up until now.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

tennbengal wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 7:28 amI was mostly just amazed that those kinds of scores and grades are not getting into some colleges and universities beyond the Ivy league schools. That's unreal. And congrats to you all as parents for having raised that kind of student. That's awesome.
Seconded.

Oh, and good job on the parenting stuff, too, I guess.
P.D.X.
The Dude

Post by P.D.X. »

Was there a swamp orgy 18 years ago?
wlu_lax6
The Dude

Post by wlu_lax6 »

The Sybian wrote: Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:55 am State schools in NJ aren't all that affordable for in-state students, so I'm banking on my daughter getting a soccer scholarship.
Yes nobody pays retail but remember soccer scholarships per school are 9.9 on the Men and 14 on the Women. I have heard that in non-revenue sports the concept of a full athletic ride is a lie told by bragging kids and parents. For example...Men's lacrosse is 12.6. That is usually split across a roster of 44. Average women's soccer team roster is 28 (which is actually not too bad).
http://www.scholarshipstats.com/soccer.html
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

York College visit today. Oldest son was not impressed. The school felt old and in need of refurbishment. Maybe too small, we liked that big school that felt small feel that Towson has.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

I'm home now. The wife and daughter are flying to Seattle tomorrow to check out UW. But, the doc said no flying for me right now, so I'm staying home with the dog and cats. She has narrowed it down a bit, and Washington is the only out-of-state contender.
brian
The Dude

Post by brian »

I could see where if you grew up in the Baltimore area that Towson would be a great option for a school from everything I’ve seen of it. Reading that it sounds unintentional catty but i mean it sincerely. Seems like a nice mix of urban and university.
Bandwagon fan of the 2023 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS!
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

Towson and UMBC have done a very good job over the last 10-15 years of re-branding. Towson used to be Towson State and it just "felt" like it wasn't as nice as nearby Loyola. I think they've done a good of putting money into facilities AND they dropped the "state" which is kind of silly on the face of it, but I think it's made a difference in terms of resetting everything.

Towson is actually pretty far north of the city, which actually probably helps them in terms of application numbers. I loved Hopkins, but that place is flanked on 2 sides by extremely dicey neighborhoods. And while they now gaurantee 2 years of housing, you're still putting your kid in an area with the very real possibility of being mugged (or assaulted.) Not that it happens a lot, but it's also not like it never happens.
Nonlinear FC
The Dude

Post by Nonlinear FC »

I was very impressed with Drexel yesterday. I think my expectation was that it was going to be more run-down or something? It is actually very nice, with cool and updated architecture. The Co-Op is pretty much the same as Northeastern, and it was interesting to think about how being in Philly would put you in a good spot to do things in either NYC or DC.

The girl was not impressed. So, I'm going to stop typing. I'm not dying for her to be in Philly, anyways.
bfj
Walter Sobchak

Post by bfj »

It isn’t the same Towson that I went to. I was a commuter though and never stayed on campus for anything after I was done classes. I was also a bit older when I went back to school, so campus life meant nothing to me.

They have renovated a lot of the old buildings and built some beautiful new buildings on campus.

He’d be living there, which kills me since I’m a 20 minute drive from campus. He needs to get out and be on his own and I’m not buying him a car to commute back and forth to school.

That’s if he gets in to Towson and chooses to go there.
sancarlos
The Dude

Post by sancarlos »

Well, my daughter finally chose her college - University of Washington, in Seattle. Maybe I'll get to have a drink sometime with DiS and Blundercrush.
DSafetyGuy
The Dude

Post by DSafetyGuy »

sancarlos wrote: Sat Apr 28, 2018 2:26 pm Well, my daughter finally chose her college - University of Washington, in Seattle. Maybe I'll get to have a drink sometime with DiS and Blundercrush.
Football tailgating on boats is a nice touch.